SFA Crowd/GameDay Environment Thread

19,969 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PurpleOut
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Honestly, I think "Purple Haze" needs to become an Athletic Dept operation.

Axeperience can do the Axeperience things they want and Ivey can find some good interns to rebuild the student section.
PurpleOut
Staff
jboy93 said:

I know the guy trying to do the Lumberyard. He graduated with my daughter and is a good kid. Has A LOT of work to do trying to get students to games. He drove an hour to Tuesday's game with the dorms closed. It is just SO frustrating as an alum to see the complete apathy by the community and students. I come as often as I can and according to my daughter I am, "obnoxiously loud". I have been told to sit down on more than one occasion while cheering for MY teams! Just don't know what it's going to take?!?!?
So he's not a current student? Not trying to be negative to whatever he is doing, just don't understand how that would work.
Pilotgirl
Maybe he is a grad student?
TallTexan
Might have graduated HS with Jboy's daughter.
jboy93
PurpleOut said:

jboy93 said:

I know the guy trying to do the Lumberyard. He graduated with my daughter and is a good kid. Has A LOT of work to do trying to get students to games. He drove an hour to Tuesday's game with the dorms closed. It is just SO frustrating as an alum to see the complete apathy by the community and students. I come as often as I can and according to my daughter I am, "obnoxiously loud". I have been told to sit down on more than one occasion while cheering for MY teams! Just don't know what it's going to take?!?!?
So he's not a current student? Not trying to be negative to whatever he is doing, just don't understand how that would work.
No, he is a current student. He too is frustrated with the lack of student game day involvement.
jboy93
jboy93 said:

PurpleOut said:

jboy93 said:

No, he is a current student. He too is frustrated with the lack of student game day involvement.
He's a freshman.
PurpleOut
Staff
jboy93 said:

jboy93 said:

PurpleOut said:

jboy93 said:

He's a freshman.
Oh got it, sorry I was automatically thinking SFA graduate. Makes sense, and I'm assuming this is the same kid that I mentioned on a different thread that reached out to me.
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

jboy93 said:

PurpleOut said:

jboy93 said:

He's a freshman.

Good for him! We need to help him in any way we can.
No-look
I can't help but feel that the basketball program is not being promoted properly…The students baffle me… I'm thinking if GCU or NMS had access to a video of a recruit being interviewed as to why he picked their school to play basketball it would be all over their social media and the school website. We're just not there yet…
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

I can't help but feel that the basketball program is not being promoted properly…The students baffle me… I'm thinking if GCU or NMS had access to a video of a recruit being interviewed as to why he picked their school to play basketball it would be all over their social media and the school website. We're just not there yet…
Agreed. Not only are we not there...wer're not even close. I think in general a lot of our lack of promotion this year is due to staffing.

At the same time, social media is free and VERY easy. GCU makes graphics including their students.

No-look
True…watching GCU fan base tonight looks like a sold out popular rock concert
PurpleOut
Staff

SFA Jack Fanatic
And our students can't find the time or strength to walk "all the way across campus" to WRJ. Pathetic! What the H*** is wrong with them?!
sfajack05
What is really annoying is how they all of a sudden show up to watch parties and post about the team when they are in the tournament and win a game.

Couldn't be bothered to show up for a game but become the biggest fan for those few days in March.
PurpleOut
Staff
This is my 2nd attempt this season with this offer, no response the first time. So far nothing today either.

PurpleOut
Staff
And I guess they're still calling it the PHA section? I'm not sure if they could make this all more confusing if they tried.

SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
Nice job from ACU. Was going to initially say that 100 isn't many, but it's something. And I wish we had 100 students that could sit together.

sfajack05
PurpleOut said:

Nice job from ACU. Was going to initially say that 100 isn't many, but it's something. And I wish we had 100 students that could sit together.

100 students sitting in one section can make a lot of noise. Then imagine the next game each of those 100 bring a friend or two.
PurpleOut
Staff
sfajack05 said:

PurpleOut said:

100 students sitting in one section can make a lot of noise. Then imagine the next game each of those 100 bring a friend or two.
Exactly. The frustrating part for me is that all of what you said is extremely simple.
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut
Staff
A few other things I saw on Twitter last night:

The bowling team sitting not only in a different section, but way at the top.

SFAJack_76
Student athletes are the most consistent group of students attending all athletic events. Please don't discourage that by challenging where they choose to sit. As can be seen in the bowling team picture, their coach is with them. It is a team bonding time also.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

Student athletes are the most consistent group of students attending all athletic events. Please don't discourage that by challenging where they choose to sit. As can be seen in the bowling team picture, their coach is with them. It is a team bonding time also.

Please also don't take every comment on here as negativity, discouragement or a challenge.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Especially the bowling team!!! They attend so many other athletic events to support peers year round!
SFASawmillGuy
I personally miss the student section being behind the basket near the visitor bench. Makes free throws slightly more distracting and gives a lot of room to make the bench uncomfortable.
It was the concept behind the purple haze being behind the visitor bench at football games, but that's apparently different too now.
sfajack05
Since I've been one to complain about the student section I want to give them props for last night.

They got majority of the students to sit in the same section and there were about 4-5 that were really trying to get the other students involved. Started off quiet but by the end they were into the game.

It's a start.
PurpleOut
Staff
sfajack05 said:

Since I've been one to complain about the student section I want to give them props for last night.

They got majority of the students to sit in the same section and there were about 4-5 that were really trying to get the other students involved. Started off quiet but by the end they were into the game.

It's a start.
Same.

They were even engaged and loud. Hell sometimes I noticed some of them were even standing up!

Energy was great last night. Hopefully they all show back up tomorrow.
nacluth
And the band helped being there too. Hopefully the afternoon game isn't too early for them.
nacluth
SFAJack_76 said:

I sat besides the softball team last night. They weren't super into the game, but they filled seats which was nice.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I sat besides the softball team last night. They weren't super into the game, but they filled seats which was nice.
Yeah the section next to me (108) seemed to be almost all students in the lower half.
No-look
I build homes for a living. The home doesn't just come together. Takes a lot of coordination, planning and lot of detail work….can't help but think we're not getting the same with promoting attendance and game hype.
I reached out to powers that be to make the NMSU game High School and Middle School Day. Didn't get a response… if you're gonna waltz you need to find someone that wants to dance. Lol
Find out what works(GCU etc) and implement it.
djsfw57
No-look said:

I build homes for a living. The home doesn't just come together. Takes a lot of coordination, planning and lot of detail work….can't help but think we're not getting the same with promoting attendance and game hype.
I reached out to powers that be to make the NMSU game High School and Middle School Day. Didn't get a response… if you're gonna waltz you need to find someone that wants to dance. Lol
Find out what works(GCU etc) and implement it.
No response is disappointing and disheartening. It's almost like they don't care if people come to athletic events or not. And I am not referring to any of our coaches or players.
SFA, Class of 1979
No-look
I believe everyone wants to be successful, just need to put some plans in action
nacluth
A couple pics from the tour. Wally was first class giving us the behind the scenes showcase.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.