Student-athlete Eligibility Issue

19,341 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nacluth
AxeEm99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It is interesting that while Robert Hill was busy "flipping" football coaches again in 2014, the NCAA warned SFA about correcting the issue...It really falls on Hill's back for not addressing the issue, but I 100% believe McDermond needs to go!
I'm sure glad we have Ivey in charge now!
Pilotgirl
Y'all...I dont go around spitting lies/tryna ruin someone's character. Please trust me when I say....McDermand needs to go. He was a big player in this and it's all coming out. Take my post down BUT when you mess with past, present, and future students...be ready for the attack you deserve.
SFAJack_76
"Compliance" was in his job title. I would still dislike him, but I would have some low level of respect if he had said something like,"I hate it. We did not have the proper policies and procedures in place. We screwed up. I apologize to all affected." Be an adult. Own your mistakes. The same goes for the others that had a role in keeping our university from being great.

Unfortunately, it was the SFA way. It is so difficult to change that culture. I know. I have taken the job as plant manager at a couple of mills that had exactly that mindset. I know I am preaching to the choir, but those of us that really, really care must redouble our support, in anyway we can, for Dr. Gordon, Ryan Ivey, and others that can't do it alone. We have the burning platform. I am pumped about what can be accomplished, starting now.

I am done with what got us here. I am fully focused on today, and the future.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

McDermand needs to go. NOW.

I second that! Send his rear end packing immediately!!!!

He's now a "lecturer". What does he lecture on? Noncompliance? Incompetence? Sheer stupidity?
"Senior Lecturer of Sports Business and Management "

Really. Really???
Pilotgirl
100% factual. This is ridiculous. And a bad look on SFA. I agree with everything you are saying, 76, except this guy....I am LIVID.
No-look

Time to look ahead and not behind. Aren't we the winningest team in Texas over the past year? 28-3 is a good new start!
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

I am done with what got us here.

I'm with you about looking ahead, but....

Cancerous malignancies need to be removed. If the malignancy is still there and "lecturing" to sports management students (and you know that those students know full well who was at the center of causing the situation), what message is that sending to those students? Remove him! NOW!
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

"Compliance" was in his job title. I would still dislike him, but I would have some low level of respect if he had said something like,"I hate it. We did not have the proper policies and procedures in place. We screwed up. I apologize to all affected." Be an adult. Own your mistakes. The same goes for the others that had a role in keeping our university from being great.

Unfortunately, it was the SFA way. It is so difficult to change that culture. I know. I have taken the job as plant manager at a couple of mills that had exactly that mindset. I know I am preaching to the choir, but those of us that really, really care must redouble our support, in anyway we can, for Dr. Gordon, Ryan Ivey, and others that can't do it alone. We have the burning platform. I am pumped about what can be accomplished, starting now.

I'm with you 76. I think Ivey did it this way so we could move on. Here we go. Let's move on.
TallTexan
The dumbest thing about the 3 folks involved not accepting responsibility is that this wasn't multiple issues that kinda culminated into a disaster.

It was literally one issue that all 3 of them screwed up that caused problems for everyone at SFA.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

He's now a "lecturer". What does he lecture on? Noncompliance? Incompetence? Sheer stupidity?

Really. Really???
76 You know i have been saying for a year why is this dude even associated with the University..
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

Really. Really???
76 You know i have been saying for a year why is this dude even associated with the University..
I do know. I also know you have not been alone in that opinion.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I'm with you 76. I think Ivey did it this way so we could move on. Here we go. Let's move on.
Ivey, Dr. Gordon, and the BOR. Although it took thirteen months, it was the quickest, least expensive way to get through an issue where we were clearly in violation.
No-look
Is it a possibility that if all sports are above the required score this coming year that the NCAA would consider dropping next years ban? Just dreaming.
Jacks4460
No-look said:

Is it a possibility that if all sports are above the required score this coming year that the NCAA would consider dropping next years ban? Just dreaming.

It could happen NoLook.. we will ask for an exception after this 20-21 year
Pilotgirl
Already sent my email demanding his termination to president, copied Ivey, and the Dean of College of Business. Anyone else I (we) should email?
BigJack85
Ivey completely "nailed" that interview. If you are not sure about SFA OR our leadership, listen to this interview. Listen please. This penalty is going to hurt but you can tell Ivey had a plan for our future and things are going to be good. Good. Great.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yes that was a good interview and I firmly believe in Ivey and SFAs future. Of course he was very diplomatic about the one employee still at SFA and about the comparison to our penalties and North Carolina walking away scot free from their open cheating but that diplomacy comes with the job. I remain very optimistic about SFA's future both athletics and academics.

That said I agree with Pilotgirl and others that the remaining "good ole boy" needs to be removed from employment at SFA. When you are a business or institution and you have an employee that fails to do his job correctly, that damages the brand and the reputation of your institution then that is just cause for removal. Has nothing to do with revenge or spite but rather incompetence or a lack of responsibility to see that job was done properly and by the written rules. While it won't change any of the results of the case it would be a proper move.

Sadly it appears that the "SFA Way" was the code for the old regime that ran SFA as if it were their own country club, reserved for the "good ole boys" and run mostly for their own amusement/benefit/egos.
Fortunately that appears to now be the past and we have new leadership with a much better vision of what SFA can be and will move us forward.
Pilotgirl
Much more eloquently stated than I ever could....agreed!
Jacks4460
You absolutely nailed it "run mostly for their own amusement/benefit/egos." That is what kept alot of the younger alumni away.. Now Ryan and the PLF has brought alot of younger alumni together because they dont act like the good ole boys/we are better than you type of attitudes..
Pilotgirl
Jacks4460 said:

You absolutely nailed it "run mostly for their own amusement/benefit/egos." That is what kept alot of the younger alumni away.. Now Ryan and the PLF has brought alot of younger alumni together because they dont act like the good ole boys/we are better than you type of attitudes..

Nac has always been a big clique. I still see remnants of it in the alumni assoc, but that's my perception. After I am finished with work this next week, I will have 2 months off so will contact the Houston area almuni group and see what they got going on down here...
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Jacks4460 said:

Nac has always been a big clique. I still see remnants of it in the alumni assoc, but that's my perception. After I am finished with work this next week, I will have 2 months off so will contact the Houston area almuni group and see what they got going on down here...
The Alumni Association does have opportunity to improve. Since all scholarship business was moved to Development, they have reorganized, and started working on their new, focused role. I look forward to hearing about your contact with the Houston area group. I believe they can have a more important role today than ever.
Pilotgirl
It seems like they aren't very active, which is strange because Houston produces TONS of Lumberjacks...
TheRevSFA
Pilotgirl said:

It seems like they aren't very active, which is strange because Houston produces TONS of Lumberjacks...

We haven't done much down here recently. I'm actually supposed to be an ambassador but have missed the meetings on it due to work travel
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Jacks4460 said:

The Alumni Association does have opportunity to improve. Since all scholarship business was moved to Development, they have reorganized, and started working on their new, focused role. I look forward to hearing about your contact with the Houston area group. I believe they can have a more important role today than ever.

Whats their new role?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Whats their new role?
New role was a poor choice of wording. My point is that much of what it did in the past was focused on soliciting, and managing, funds for scholarships. That is now all under the office of development. The current mission is:

"The SFA Alumni Association engages alumni, friends and current SFA students to create an attitude of continued loyalty and support. We grow Lumberjack pride."

This was always a significant part of the mission. Now it is all of it.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Whats their new role?
New role was a poor choice of wording. My point is that much of what it did in the past was focused on soliciting, and managing, funds for scholarships. That is now all under the office of development. The current mission is:

"The SFA Alumni Association engages alumni, friends and current SFA students to create an attitude of continued loyalty and support. We grow Lumberjack pride."

They definitely have stepped it up in the past year or so, just like the athletic department. But still have a lot to work on.

I'm an ambassador for my county up here, and it's something they are trying to build to get more members, involvement, interactions. And they are working together more, more trips and visits to cities, along with our athletic department traveling throughout the year trying to connect with former athletes.

It's a process, and definitely not done overnight. But it's getting better.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Whats their new role?

Thats an excellent aspect to focus on for sure.
TallTexan
I like this new side of SFA Athletics.

BigJack85
I think they have handled this "episode" superbly!!! It's about time to start focusing on the future of this accelerating program. New basketball facility, and who knows maybe someone will step up to fund a revival of the field house and stadium. Not likely but we can dream.
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

I think they have handled this "episode" superbly!!! It's about time to start focusing on the future of this accelerating program. New basketball facility, and who knows maybe someone will step up to fund a revival of the field house and stadium. Not likely but we can dream.

BigJack I love your thinking.. Loddie could be the equivalent to T Boone for our beloved University.. I am sure he loves our leadership.. Field House and Indoor practice facility to be used by all sports is sufficient.. Stadium can wait a little longer..
LadyJack2013
If you need more info to process about all this nonsense:

#AxeEm
#WeSTILLBeatDuke
BigJack85
LadyJack2013 said:

If you need more info to process about all this nonsense:

You are doing the "Lumberjack Public" a great service. If there was an official medal that we could award you, I would lead the charge to have you two recognized.
TallTexan
PurpleOut
Staff
I guess that's good, maybe they'll figure out a way to get the penalty suspended for good in that time?
PurpleOut
Staff
Kind of sucks for recruiting though. We've been recruiting a certain way for months, that we'd have to readjust for a later penalty.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.