Student-athlete Eligibility Issue

19,624 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nacluth
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth
Uh-oh. I hope that this is related to some random grade issues, and not some of the systematic issues that were being reported at other schools all last year.
cboothe09
Is this why we lost Aaron in basketball midseason?
nacluth
Don't think that had anything to do with it.
cboothe09
Didnt think so. Kinda just wishful thinking...
Pilotgirl
Not related, unfortunately.
CertifiedAxeman98
This doesn't really say much. Would be interested to know what sports this impacted and what it may be impacting this year.
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

This doesn't really say much. Would be interested to know what sports this impacted and what it may be impacting this year.
No doubt we would like to know details. I believe details will not be released since this issue impacts the personal lives of student-athletes. Most likely, we will deduce some level of impact if we see further unexplained absences from the fields or courts, similar to what many have figured out with football.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

No doubt we would like to know details. I believe details will not be released since this issue impacts the personal lives of student-athletes. Most likely, we will deduce some level of impact if we see further unexplained absences from the fields or courts, similar to what many have figured out with football.
It's ugly. More information to come.

"Today, the NCAA publicly released Academic Progress Report (APR) scores for all Division I athletic programs, including Stephen F. Austin. These four-year cohort APR scores began with the 2015-2016 academic year. As noted in its release, three SFA sports programs (men's basketball, football and baseball) failed to meet the minimum four-year cohort APR score of 930 needed to avoid penalties. As a result, these programs must serve the Level I APR penalties, which include a reduction in countable practice hours and a one-year postseason ban. The University has been approved to delay the men's basketball postseason ban until the 2021-22 season, while football and baseball will serve their bans during the 2020-21 academic year.

Beginning in 2013, an athletics department administrative error in the academic certification process resulted in the miscalculation of SFA's reported APR scores. Once the administrative error was identified and corrected, the APR scores of these three programs fell below the 930 threshold. Procedures are now in place to prevent a re-occurrence of the error.

The athletics department has been focused on academic progress and is proud of its current student athletes who collectively earned a 3.21 GPA for the spring semester.

SFA will be able to share additional information in the coming days and answer any questions.

As always, we appreciate your support of Stephen F. Austin Athletics.

Ryan Ivey
Director of Athletics
Stephen F. Austin State University"
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

It's ugly. More information to come.

Very ugly... They will release some more info.. The last regime really let our student athletes down.. These kids depend on people giving them good advice and they got zero...
TallTexan
So we're getting punished for an error from 7 years ago?

Burn the NCAA to the ground.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

So we're getting punished for an error from 7 years ago?

Burn the NCAA to the ground.
No. Errors that started seven years ago, and only ended when our current AD for compliance discovered it April, 2019.
sfajack05
Well this sucks.

Was the person that was in charged prior to the new AD the one that got reassigned to the college of business?
TallTexan
Error or malintent? Because if it is truly an error, the NCAA can suck eggs.

Never under any circumstances cooperate with the NCAA.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76
sfajack05 said:

Well this sucks.

Was the person that was in charged prior to the new AD the one that got reassigned to the college of business?
The Associate AD for Academics moved to a faculty position prior to the discovery. The former Senior Associate AD for Compliance retired prior to discovery of our issues.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

sfajack05 said:

Well this sucks.

The Associate AD for Academics moved to a faculty position prior to the discovery. The former Senior Associate AD for Compliance retired prior to discovery of our issues.
The faculty position needs to be terminated... and Sr Associate AD for Compliance was smart to retire..not fair to our kids..
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Error or malintent? Because if it is truly an error, the NCAA can suck eggs.

Never under any circumstances cooperate with the NCAA.
I believe your understandable outrage is mis-directed. Ivey has made it very clear that we will conduct our business honestly and with integrity. Who knows why it was done. It was done by us. We can't pick and choose which rules we will abide by.
TallTexan
I think we should follow the rules. I don't want to be a dirty program.

That said, a post-season ban for an error that's been fixed is ridiculous. Especially when not everyone is made to play by the same rules.
tangerito
TallTexan
The appropriate penalty for something like this would be a show cause penalty for the administrators involved.

Pilotgirl
THIS IS A TRAVESTY
nacluth
Daily Sentinel reporting that the men's basketball team had the worst academic scores of any team in the nation (all sports and schools). And it looks by a wide margin. That is bad. Real bad.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Daily Sentinel reporting that the men's basketball team had the worst academic scores of any team in the nation (all sports and schools). And it looks by a wide margin. That is bad. Real bad.
All D1 APR results were released today, so they should have access to them. APR defined:

The APR is calculated as follows: Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible. A team's total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team's Academic Progress Rate.

I have concerns that when people see "academic scores," they think grades. Our issue was more about courses taken that were not appropriate for progress to a degree. We were okay until those inappropriate courses were appropriately backed out.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Daily Sentinel reporting that the men's basketball team had the worst academic scores of any team in the nation (all sports and schools).

That is VERY had to believe.
CertifiedAxeman98
You want to be the best mid-major program in the country and you allow this to happen? What a complete screw up.

You should have people on staff that do nothing but ensure that this doesn't happen. You should have employees that monitor this on a weekly basis and someone that double checks the formulas and someone that double checks the rules. This is completely and totally unacceptable!!.

Ryan Ivey should have to send out an apology letter to all the student athletes and all those that support the program. The employee that screwed this up should be fired on the spot.

Schools that are in disarray, that have massive issues with lots of turnover have this problem. Programs like SFA should never have this happen. I am still in shock at the incompetence of how you allow this to happen.
Jacks4460
This took place before Ivey..Go talk to Hill about it..
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Daily Sentinel reporting that the men's basketball team had the worst academic scores of any team in the nation (all sports and schools).

That is VERY had to believe.
Its true.. You should of seen some of the classes they had them in.. I didnt even know the school offered them..
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

You want to be the best mid-major program in the country and you allow this to happen? What a complete screw up.

You should have people on staff that do nothing but ensure that this doesn't happen. You should have employees that monitor this on a weekly basis and someone that double checks the formulas and someone that double checks the rules. This is completely and totally unacceptable!!.

Ryan Ivey should have to send out an apology letter to all the student athletes and all those that support the program. The employee that screwed this up should be fired on the spot. This causes some serious doubts in my mind about Ryan's ability to lead us beyond where we have been if he can't oversee something like this.

Schools that are in disarray, that have massive issues with lots of turnover have this problem. Programs like SFA should never have this happen. I am still in shock at the incompetence of how you allow this to happen.
You are way off base putting any of this on Ivey or the staff he has put together. Way off base. Check the timeline. Ivey has fixed it. His predecessors screwed it up. His predecessors had no best mid major vision. There is no one currently in the athletic department that was a part of this. I don't know of anyone I would rather have leading us through this than Ryan Ivey, and Dr. Gordon. Ask the student-athletes what they think about the current athletic department staff. Ivey is very visible. He communicates exceedingly well one on one and with teams.

Way off base!
nacluth
SFAJack_76 said:

All D1 APR results were released today, so they should have access to them. APR defined:

The APR is calculated as follows: Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible. A team's total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team's Academic Progress Rate.

I have concerns that when people see "academic scores," they think grades. Our issue was more about courses taken that were not appropriate for progress to a degree. We were okay until those inappropriate courses were appropriately backed out.
Ours was 810. Hopefully there's more to the metric than just what you illustrated because otherwise the math looks doubly bad.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Ours was 810. Hopefully there's more to the metric than just what you illustrated because otherwise the math looks doubly bad.
Nope. That's it. Ugly.

Bowling had a perfect 1000. Soccer 992. WBB 981. Volleyball 984. Tennis, with all of our international players, 982. Some positive results. Best men's tram was golf at 968.
AxeEm99
There is no excuse for this! I am sick of the continual blunders and embarrassment with the SFA athletic department! (Mainly Football) I am glad Ryan Ivey is here, and hopefully he can continue to change the culture. This is hard to take living in Huntsville! The Bearkats are once again having a field day at our expense!!!
CertifiedAxeman98
I have read more on this topic than I had earlier when I posted about this. "Formula Error" started in 2013. The reporting period that resulted in this ban is for the 4 years starting 15/16.

Sounds like they have corrected their "Formula Error". Ivey is in a tough spot. Too bad this issue didn't get caught sooner so they could tried and mitigate it some in the 18/19 year. I really hope that Ivey has some better procedures in place to ensure that this never happens again. I also hope this is the only skeleton in the closet and that any others have been found by now. It always take a few years to find everything when you take on a new job.

I still can't wrap my head around how this could have happened. The way I understand it APR is a formula with a set of rules you follow. Above the line your good below you are not. The rules may be complex, they may involve a lot of moving parts but someone should look at this regularly and a review should be done multiple times to ensure that you are always in compliance. You can't just assume that what you have been doing since 2013 is fine.

Central Arkansas had this issue a few years back. It shocked me then that a school would allow this to happen.

I assume they decided to serve the ban in 21/22 for basketball since they won't have any seniors that year since they have all left SFA. It makes since to serve the FCS football ban while you are rebuilding this year and may not be eligible anyway.

Edit: SFA has 2 JUCO's coming in this fall assuming they make it to campus, that will be seniors in 21/22.
SFAJack_76
randybass said:

There is no excuse for this! I am sick of the continual blunders and embarrassment with the SFA athletic department! (Mainly Football) I am glad Ryan Ivey is here, and hopefully he can continue to change the culture. This is hard to take living in Huntsville! The Bearkats are once again having a field day at our expense!!!
Specific to football, add Carthel being at SFA to the reasons that you will be in much better shape in Huntsville in a couple of years.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

randybass said:

Specific to football, add Carthel being at SFA to the reasons that you will be in much better shape in Huntsville in a couple of years.
it wont even be a couple years... With Carthel at the helm we are winning this year...
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.