Student-athlete Eligibility Issue

19,337 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nacluth
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If they started using this calculation in 2013 and it didn't result in an issue until 2015, I'd think perhaps maliciousness wasn't the issue.
AxeEm99
I hope both of y'all are right! I have 100% confidence in Carthel, but I was really expecting another year before Sammy got some consistent wake up calls from us... Coach Keeler walks by my house everyday with his wife. I cannot wait to ask him "what happened coach?!!!!"
SFAJack_76
randybass said:

I hope both of y'all are right! I have 100% confidence in Carthel, but I was really expecting another year before Sammy got some consistent wake up calls from us... Coach Keeler walks by my house everyday with his wife. I cannot wait to ask him "what happened coach?!!!!"
Love it!
SFAJack_76
Yesterday was a tough day for all concerned. I suspect today will be another difficult day as more detail comes out. Tomorrow, perhaps, we get to focus on the path forward.

Stay safe Sawmillers.
Pilotgirl
I can't take any more.....
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

I can't take any more.....
I was literally sick at my stomach yesterday. Starting to recover today. I hope I'm not hit with another belly punch in the next couple of days.
BigJack85
Overkill. This is.
Pilotgirl
*****the NCAA. This is ridiculous. Worse than yesterday. Media will have a heyday with this.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Overkill. This is.

This is why you never cooperate with the NCAA.

We're getting punished for an error we reported & fixed, while the regime in Waco slides by. UNC ran fake classes for two decades and didn't get punished at all.

But sure, take it out on the small schools. Burn down the NCAA and piss on the ashes. Screw them.
BigJack85
Again. I big screw job by the NCAA. Not quite "equitable"................
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm not normally one to curse. But DAMN! This really pisses me off!!!!!
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm not normally one to curse. But DAMN! This really pisses me off!!!!!

This is how you know the NCAA crossed the line.
Pilotgirl
Honestly, I want all the people who were involved with this oversight/mistake/whatever, off of SFA payroll, effective immediately. If I made a mistake...and kept making it over and over for 7 years of this magnitude, I would be fired. This should be the case here as well.
TallTexan
Good news guys, I have confirmed that SF Austin will be sitting out the post season in SFA's place. Crisis averted.
Pilotgirl
There's that Texan humor...I wondered where it went
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

There's that Texan humor...I wondered where it went

I was in hoist the black flag and march on the NCAA office mode earlier.
AxeEm99
Pilot girl, I am beyond pissed today after reading the ESPN article. I had at least 10 of my SH friends tag me on Facebook, with comments like "we intentionally cheated to win," etc. I am sick of it!!
Has anyone contacted the President of SFA or Ryan Ivey regarding terminations? I agree with you that they should be terminated immediately. I am real close to removing our SFA vehicle plates and scraping off Lifetime Member Decals and sending them back to SFA. I have weathered the athletic BS since 1997, and I my give a damn is almost gone!! There better be some dramatic improvement quick!!
Jacks4460
randybass said:

Pilot girl, I am beyond pissed today after reading the ESPN article. I had at least 10 of my SH friends tag me on Facebook, with comments like "we intentionally cheated to win," etc. I am sick of it!!
Has anyone contacted the President of SFA or Ryan Ivey regarding terminations? I agree with you that they should be terminated immediately. I am real close to removing our SFA vehicle plates and scraping off Lifetime Member Decals and sending them back to SFA. I have weathered the athletic BS since 1997, and I my give a damn is almost gone!! There better be some dramatic improvement quick!!
Randy this was reported over a year ago.. the improvements have already been made...You have every right to feel the way you do... We are in great hands now and this will only make us stronger...
Pilotgirl
I feel your pain, Randy. I think I will email Dr. Gordon...I think we (supporting alums) should demand to know that people involved with this oversight are no longer employed at SFA, a public university. We were transparent with NCAA, let's be transparent with SFA supporters/students/fans.
SFAJack_76
randybass said:

You clearly have not been following this very close. There is no one currently in the athletic department that had any thing to do with the infractions. Some left before the issues were discovered. Ivey has turned over much of the staff for various reasons.

There is one current SFA employee that had any responsibility. He moved to an academic role before the issues were discovered. Ivey has nothing to do with him. I agree that it is a fair question why he is still an employee.

That's it. One current employee.

It is certainly your right to walk away from all things SFA. I am confident you will miss some great things that are coming quickly. I am choosing to stay and help the change and support our current leadership.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

I feel your pain, Randy. I think I will email Dr. Gordon...I think we (supporting alums) should demand to know that people involved with this oversight are no longer employed at SFA, a public university. We were transparent with NCAA, let's be transparent with SFA supporters/students/fans.
One employee left. That's it. One. He is not associated with the athletic department.
AxeEm99
PilotGirl,
I just emailed Dr. Gordon and copied Ryan Ivey. I asked them to terminate employment immediately for anyone involved. I advised him that I felt that there was no reasonable excuse good enough to justify remaining at SFA in any capacity!!
Pilotgirl
I agree. Even if it is just one left. IMO, that is one too many.
BigJack85
I don't want to spin this positively but actions taken by the current AD may have prevented a "4 alarm fire" that could have taken years to get past. With proactive actions and presenting the infractions we can move forward and quickly.

To me the actions against football and baseball are almost negligible. How basketball moves beyond this is entirely in Keller and Ivey's hands. They have a very strong card to play with recruits, the best facilities in the SLC and probably equal to any Sunbelt or C-USA squad. Along with the most devoted fan base in the league we have some armor to defend us.

Sawmiller's are the heart and soul of this fan base. We need to come on strong and support our teams.

Axe 'Em Jacks!!!
AxeEm99
Well said BigJack85. Thanks for that!! After reading all of the perspectives today on the Sawmill, I am definately not near as riled up as I was 5 hours ago...
BigJack85
randybass said:

Well said BigJack85. Thanks for that!! After reading all of the perspectives today on the Sawmill, I am definately not near as riled up as I was 5 hours ago...

Randy bass. I was at the March 7 SFA vs Sam game. After the game a number of us went to Fredonia for libations. I saw Ivey there talking over the day with a staff member. He seems like an exceptionally competent individual with a clear and realistic vision of our athletic departments strengths and weaknesses.

I'm convinced Ivey had an action plan for this occurrence months ago. So far he's executed well on some fundraising efforts, hiring (Carthel) and overall improvements. I remain confident that we will limit the damage and regain our Southland dominance in short order.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

I don't want to spin this positively but actions taken by the current AD may have prevented a "4 alarm fire" that could have taken years to get past. With proactive actions and presenting the infractions we can move forward and quickly.

To me the actions against football and baseball are almost negligible. How basketball moves beyond this is entirely in Keller and Ivey's hands. They have a very strong card to play with recruits, the best facilities in the SLC and probably equal to any Sunbelt or C-USA squad. Along with the most devoted fan base in the league we have some armor to defend us.

Sawmiller's are the heart and soul of this fan base. We need to come on strong and support our teams.

Axe 'Em Jacks!!!

Well said, 85. Well said.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Rings still shine.

Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl
McDermand needs to go. NOW.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

I second that! Send his rear end packing immediately!!!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

I second that! Send his rear end packing immediately!!!!

He's now a "lecturer". What does he lecture on? Noncompliance? Incompetence? Sheer stupidity?
PurpleOut
Staff
It was the fault of the entire previous athletic department, from the top down. The main thing I took away from that article is this:

Quote:

"On a routine basis, did I review all of [McDermand's] work? No," Fenley said. "I mean, that would be like second-guessing one of your coaches for the plays they call or the kids they recruit. That's his job. He was a paid professional. That's his responsibility."

This was the problem. This was ALWAYS the problem with that "good ole boy" regime. There was nobody there checking the work, not even our compliance guy. There are plenty of people on this forum, including myself, who had interactions with a lot of staff members way back then. They were never responsive, never proactive, never willing to listen or engage with fans. The above quote and example he uses is flabbergasting and proves everything we already knew about those guys. To not have ANYONE double check work like this is absolutely insane and irresponsible. The fault doesn't fully lie with Fenley, but he is most definitely involved. He just proved part of the issues of the past.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.