Purple Lights Fund (old Varsity Club)

28,837 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I joined today at a good level... Can't wait to meet some of y'all... Live an hour and a half away not too bad..
nacluth
I've been giving it major thoughts. I really want to get in at the $500 level, but it's just on the edge of my affordable range. Maybe I should do something nice for my wife...
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
Jacks4460 said:

I joined today at a good level... Can't wait to meet some of y'all... Live an hour and a half away not too bad..
Nice! Come join us for the football tailgate.
Jacks4460
Yes sir I will be there!!! I usually go to the one that the Alumni Assoc. puts on.. I see all the others going on tho, is there a tailgate party that The Sawmill followers go to? I know we have talked about having one the Tarleton game... I can do whatever is needed... I am a great cook and will man a pit like a champ...I will have free time to help set up or whatever is needed...
drhuggybear
We will be at the Parents Day and Homecoming games for sure. Not sure about the others. We are wavering on if we are going to get season tickets or not this season.

Im trying to decide between the 250 and 500 level donations. I am really struggling with it because ... well there is a new gun I have been eyeing as well
Jacks4460
The reason I joined the Varsity Club is because I want to be on board with helping our student athletes succeed in academics,athletics,and the real world. When we as a University truly embrace this attitude, the young student athletes will see it and will want to succeed themselves... I believe that this is what Mr Ivey is going to do, so I want to help and be a part of it...
PurpleOut
Staff
Jacks4460 said:

Yes sir I will be there!!! I usually go to the one that the Alumni Assoc. puts on.. I see all the others going on tho, is there a tailgate party that The Sawmill followers go to? I know we have talked about having one the Tarleton game... I can do whatever is needed... I am a great cook and will man a pit like a champ...I will have free time to help set up or whatever is needed...
There's several different people that tailgate under the tress right across from the alumni tent. That's where myself and a few of the older LFJ.com posters tailgate when we go (which was rare in the past). Keep an eye on this thread in the Tailgate forum, we'll be updating it more soon. We'll be out there set up much earlier than the alumni tailgate, but it's great to be close to do both.
BigJack85
Huggy. Purple has it nailed. Many of us tailgate near the forestry building. It's almost a guarantee that some of us will be at 3-4 games. I personally will be in Nacogdoches for 3 games starting with Tarleton.

Some of us are on 10-11 years. Look forward to seeing you!

AXE 'Em Jacks!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks4460
I got two different buddies to committ to donate @$2,500 per year.. More people need to push their fellow SFA grad friends to keep this train rolling forward..We have an AD that will get the job done and make us proud of the product he helps put on the field and in the classroom..
PurpleOut
Staff
Jacks4460 said:

I got two different buddies to committ to donate @$2,500 per year.. More people need to push their fellow SFA grad friends to keep this train rolling forward..We have an AD that will get the job done and make us proud of the product he helps put on the field and in the classroom..

That's amazing.

Got my VC card last week, put the sticker on my car.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

I'll say it again... You tha man, 4460!!!
BigJack85
I'll be dialing in the donation, sadly the most I typically give is $500.
Jacks4460
PurpleOut said:

Jacks4460 said:

That's amazing.

Got my VC card last week, put the sticker on my car.
I got both mine last week likewise... I will check back with them to make sure they donated in a week.. Gotta always follow up..
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

Every little bit helps. I encourage all of my friends to at least start at the lowest level. Especially if you direct it to a specific program, they can use every dollar.
Jacks4460
PurpleOut said:

BigJack85 said:

Every little bit helps. I encourage all of my friends to at least start at the lowest level. Especially if you direct it to a specific program, they can use every dollar.
Yes sir every little bit helps... 500 x 1000 is alot of cash... I know there have to be at least 1000 Alumni who can afford 500...Especially if it helps the kids get the same education we did.. Some of these kids have nothing and if they are willing to sacrifice their body and time for SFASU then we should at least make sure they have all the tools necessary to succeed in college and life and thats what the Varsity Clubs monies do.. Sorry for my run on sentences...
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
What level do I have to be at to get donor parking at WRJ?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

If you are talking about next to (south of) WRJ, I don't know. Designated area in the lot north of College, it looks like it is $250. Give Tyler Boone a call for any questions.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/sfajacks.com/documents/2018/6/1/2018_19_Varsity_Club.pdf
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Looks like 250
BigJack85
I'm very passionate about this (Varsity Club) I am neither wealthy nor a former athlete but I feel it is incumbent on "us" alumni to spread the word about this wonderful place we went to school at.... How then do we "spread the word"? It's been answered a thousand times on this board .... athletics is the "front porch" of the university and right now it (front porch) needs some new furniture.

I know that my individual donation means little but if more come along with $50, $100 or even $500 (I think I did $250 this year) the results will follow. We can't continue to rely on Joe Max and those type of donors to plug every hole. We need broader and deeper support through the Varsity Club. Anyone that thinks there $25 donation is meaningless is wrong ....... literally every donation helps!!!

Axe 'Em Jacks.
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

I'm very passionate about this (Varsity Club) I am neither wealthy nor a former athlete but I feel it is incumbent on "us" alumni to spread the word about this wonderful place we went to school at.... How then do we "spread the word"? It's been answered a thousand times on this board .... athletics is the "front porch" of the university and right now it (front porch) needs some new furniture.

I know that my individual donation means little but if more come along with $50, $100 or even $500 (I think I did $250 this year) the results will follow. We can't continue to rely on Joe Max and those type of donors to plug every hole. We need broader and deeper support through the Varsity Club. Anyone that thinks there $25 donation is meaningless is wrong ....... literally every donation helps!!!

Axe 'Em Jacks.
BigJack85 is so right. We need every donation we can get.. It doesn't matter how much just something to help move us forward. We have the right people in place to lead us but without an Ath Fee we will never get our beloved University to where we want to see it in the upper echelon of Mid Major athletics. Remember the goal is to produce quality young student-athletes along with winning championships. Varsity Club is the answer and has many things you get with your donation.. We have good stewards of our monies and they will work to make us a top Mid Major I can promise you that... God Bless Joe Max...
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 is spot on. The Varsity Club has been the primary means for donations beyond the big donors. Unfortunately, it has been poorly set up, communicated, and marketed. Expect positive changes going forward, but don't wait to contribute if you have not done so yet.

Ivey is bringing exactly what I had hoped for. He has a great vision built on his pre-SFA experiences and what SFA already had. Giving is one of the keys when you ask Ivey what you can do. We want our student-athletes to be positioned to win. Like it or not, winning costs money. Some say something like, win and the money will come. Nope. They have to have the money to prepare to win. I trust this athletic department leadership team to spend my contribution wisely. Nutrition, S&C, recruiting, and academics are the foundation and they all take money to do well.

Beyond money, Ivey says what we can do is show up, and spread the word. Butts in seats mean a lot to the kids. Show up and support in person. Take all opportunities to share the excitement of what is taking place with friends, neighbors, coworkers, and fellow alumni.
SFAJack_76
Got this in an email this morning. There has been discussion about revamping the Varsity Club and associated pieces. Obviously more details to come. Perhaps the most significant change is that season tickets are decoupled from the VC.

Good morning,

It's a GREAT day to be a Lumberjack! On behalf of SFA Athletics, our coaches, staff and student-athletes, I want to thank you for your support of SFA Athletics. We have been fortunate to have experienced unparalleled success over the last several years due in large part to the generous support of our loyal alumni, donors and fans, like you, and for that, we are extremely grateful.

Prior to the 2019-2020 athletic year, the Department of Athletics will be modifying the season ticket/annual giving relationship for all ticketed sports. As such, season tickets will now require a separate purchase from annual giving donations. This change will affect all renewing and prospective season ticket holders/donors for football, men's & women's basketball, and baseball. All current season ticket holders, regardless of annual giving amount, are still owners of their current seats until they are renewed or released.

A restructuring and rebranding of the annual giving arm of the athletics department, formerly known as the Varsity Club, will coincide with this change as well. If you have not donated to SFA Athletics as part of your season ticket purchase in the past, I encourage you to consider giving an annual gift in support of our incredible student-athletes for 2019-2020. More information on annual giving will come incrementally as we near the end of the spring athletic season.

We seek to achieve three primary goals through these changes: 1.) to recognize the value of all investments in support of SFA Athletics, 2.) to generate resources required to pursue competitive excellence and 3.) to create a philanthropic culture and improved value to the game day experience through annual giving at every level to SFA Athletics.

We recognize that these modifications may create questions and/or concerns to our loyal supporters. As such, our ticketing, development and administrative staff, including myself, will be available for individual, in-meetings or phone calls to answer any questions, address any concerns and/or provide guidance in advance of season ticket renewals and annual giving.

On behalf of our student-athletes, coaches, and staff, thank you for your continued support of our vision of becoming the leading mid-major athletics department in the country. We cannot and will not be able to achieve this vision without you!
Axe 'Em!

Ryan Ivey
Director of Athletics
Stephen F. Austin State University
TallTexan
Wonder how much of this was born of the tax code change saying that "seat donations" are no longer tax deductible.
PurpleOut
Staff
Got that as well, I think it makes sense and will hopefully make the donation system but season ticket system even better. Very curious to hear more.
SFAJack_76
For those on Twitter.
TallTexan
Oooh, Purple Lights Foundation. I like it.
TallTexan
Also, on a somewhat related note, we should get permission to put another few purple lights around town & light Nac up whenever we win.
SFAJack_76
Current donor and benefits plans from Ivey's last two jobs. I was curious.

https://letsgopeay.com/sports/2014/6/12/GEN_0612141553.aspx

https://pride.tamuc.edu/champions/#welcome
drhuggybear
I emailed about season tickets and was shocked to find out the Varsity Club donations were decoupled but that makes more sense now.

I would like to see a giving plan setup. Instead of a 250/500/etc level where its a one time donation, I think allowing people to donate monthly would help increase giving. People would be more willing to do a $25-50 monthly donation rather than a flat $250 etc donation. First off, it is much easier on the pocketbook but most importantly at the end of the day its more money for the university ($25/month is actually $300). Not to mention that it moves the donations to a regular income stream instead of a huge influx right before season ticket renewals.

Just my 2 cents.
Jacks4460
Or put it on a credit card where you get cash back and save 2%-3%.. But get to use full donation $ for IRS deduction...

Note: only works if you pay your CC bill in full each month...
SFAJack_76
The Austin Peay plan allows both scheduled payments and credit card.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Purple Lights Fund sounds so much better than Varsity Club just on the name basis. Be interesting to see the fine print once they get it settled and out to the public. I'm in.
Jacks4460
" Purple Lights signifies victory and that's what we are working towards. Victory in all we do! "
SFAJack_76
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.