What do you do?

8,276 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by djsfw57
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pilotgirl said:

So... moving to Houston area this summer. I have a job at Alief ISD and have a couple more coming in...looking at Katy, Sugar Land, etc. Anyone from the Houston area recommend a real estate agent, areas they recommend, etc? Thanks!
My brother's house in Katy. He has taken a job in Colorado. They have put a lot of upgrades into it in the last couple of years.

https://www.har.com/23235-lidstone-point-court/sale_88211611

Edit: I just noticed the posting says it is under contact. If so, it moved fast.
Pilotgirl
Lol this is my life bc that would've been pretty perfect!
Pilotgirl
Nah fam....going to SFA in Nac is one thing, living there with your profession is quite another.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Lol this is my life bc that would've been pretty perfect!
At least it gives you a name of a real estate agent. Who knows, maybe that deal falls through. Suppose I shouldn't wish that on my brother though.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Nah fam....going to SFA in Nac is one thing, living there with your profession is quite another.
Living in Nac is my early retirement plan lol. Get the doctorate, 2nd career as a professor from 50 to 70.
TallTexan
So I have no clue what parts of Houston flood, but if you put in an option on a house & run by a State Farm office for a homeowner's quote, they'll pull your loss history, which will also usually pull the lost history for the house for the last 5 years or so. So if anyone paid out any claims on that house in the last 5 years, they'll typically be listed.

Just ask the agent who's pulling the loss history report if anything showed up. Not a fool proof plan, but just an extra check valve on the process.
Pilotgirl
Awesome advice, thanks!
CertifiedAxeman98
Pilotgirl said:

So... moving to Houston area this summer. I have a job at Alief ISD and have a couple more coming in...looking at Katy, Sugar Land, etc. Anyone from the Houston area recommend a real estate agent, areas they recommend, etc? Thanks!
I live in Katy (actually it is pretty much Fulshear). I will send you some info, later.

I grew up in Alief. Went to Kennedy elementary and Holub middle school and graduated from Hastings. It has changed a lot since I graduated.
Pilotgirl
Thanks!
CertifiedAxeman98
I just realized that this topic was about what we do so here is my story:

As I mentioned above, I grew up in Houston then went to SFA in the fall of 1993. I graduated in 1998 with a BBA in Accounting and a Masters in Accounting. I was 1 of 7 that graduated under the then brand new MPA program. I met my wife at SFA who is also an accountant.

I was 1 of the 23,617 fans at the McNeese game in 1995. It was crazy. I can still remember the McNeese flag guys try and run through our band with their flags and come out with their life and some broken flags and not much else. The Ladyjacks basketball team was really good and in the NCAA tourney several years while I as there.

I started my career in public accounting and I'm a CPA which is why my handle starts with Certified. I have never done tax work so I can't help you with you taxes. After 8 years as an auditor I left the 60-80 hour a week job so I could spend more time with my family and not ended up divorced like several partners I knew that were on their 2 or 3 marriage. I worked for 9 years at Hines, one of the largest private real estate companies in the world as a controller over projects in the US and overseas. I left there about 3 years ago to take a CFO position for Interfin a Houston based real estate company.

My parents are both Sam Houston grads, my brother and his wife are HBU grads and my wife's parents both graduated from Lamar. So, we have a house divided. It makes it fun when sports are going and we love going the SLC basketball tournament so watch our schools play especially since we live the in the Katy area.
SFA Jack Fanatic

Nice story, 98. Thanks for sharing. Thanksgivings must be fun.

I'm married to a Prison Tech grad, but fortunately for me, she's not much of a sports fan, so we can tolerate each other most of the time.
PurpleOut
Staff
Update on this for me, for a few things. I left AWS and Amazon entirely a few months ago and took a role with a smaller eCommerce company to get back to what I like doing more.

Separately, I've also decided to start my own web design and marketing company as a side business (for now, until I see how it goes). Helping smaller and local businesses with their websites, marketing, lead generation etc. Basing it out of McKinney, but I can definitely help anyone when it comes to SEO, web design, social media ads, etc. Not fully up and going yet, but getting close. Happy to help anyone here that has their own business and could use some help, or at the minimum some guidance.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Update on this for me, for a few things. I left AWS and Amazon entirely a few months ago and took a role with a smaller eCommerce company to get back to what I like doing more.

Separately, I've also decided to start my own web design and marketing company as a side business (for now, until I see how it goes). Helping smaller and local businesses with their websites, marketing, lead generation etc. Basing it out of McKinney, but I can definitely help anyone when it comes to SEO, web design, social media ads, etc. Not fully up and going yet, but getting close. Happy to help anyone here that has their own business and could use some help, or at the minimum some guidance.

That's awesome man. Congrats on both new endeavors!
sfajack05
PurpleOut said:

That's awesome man. Congrats!

I started a new position with a local two year college a couple months ago as their Educational Technology Coordinator and Webmaster.
djsfw57
Sounds like some interesting changes taking place. My big change won't come until June 1, but on that day I am officially retired after 41 years of teaching.
SFA, Class of 1979
Txjack
djsfw57 said:

Sounds like some interesting changes taking place. My big change won't come until June 1, but on that day I am officially retired after 41 years of teaching.
Wow! Being married to a teacher, i can respect that. Not easy to do that in this day and age.
I just attained 25 years with TXDOT; currently selling state surplus property and property manager for the Houston District. And i thought 25 years was a long time....
djsfw57
Txjack said:

djsfw57 said:

Wow! Being married to a teacher, i can respect that. Not easy to do that in this day and age.
I just attained 25 years with TXDOT; currently selling state surplus property and property manager for the Houston District. And i thought 25 years was a long time....
Thanks! I am very blessed to have had 40 wonderful years. This year has been a challenge in many ways, which tells me it's time to go. I don't want to keep doing it until I hate it, and I'm getting dangerously close to that this year. Kids haven't changed at all over the years, but parents and administrators sure have.
SFA, Class of 1979
Page 3 of 3

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.