What do you do?

31,723 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pilotgirl said:

So... moving to Houston area this summer. I have a job at Alief ISD and have a couple more coming in...looking at Katy, Sugar Land, etc. Anyone from the Houston area recommend a real estate agent, areas they recommend, etc? Thanks!
My brother's house in Katy. He has taken a job in Colorado. They have put a lot of upgrades into it in the last couple of years.

https://www.har.com/23235-lidstone-point-court/sale_88211611

Edit: I just noticed the posting says it is under contact. If so, it moved fast.
Pilotgirl
Lol this is my life bc that would've been pretty perfect!
Pilotgirl
Nah fam....going to SFA in Nac is one thing, living there with your profession is quite another.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Lol this is my life bc that would've been pretty perfect!
At least it gives you a name of a real estate agent. Who knows, maybe that deal falls through. Suppose I shouldn't wish that on my brother though.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Nah fam....going to SFA in Nac is one thing, living there with your profession is quite another.
Living in Nac is my early retirement plan lol. Get the doctorate, 2nd career as a professor from 50 to 70.
TallTexan
So I have no clue what parts of Houston flood, but if you put in an option on a house & run by a State Farm office for a homeowner's quote, they'll pull your loss history, which will also usually pull the lost history for the house for the last 5 years or so. So if anyone paid out any claims on that house in the last 5 years, they'll typically be listed.

Just ask the agent who's pulling the loss history report if anything showed up. Not a fool proof plan, but just an extra check valve on the process.
Pilotgirl
Awesome advice, thanks!
CertifiedAxeman98
Pilotgirl said:

So... moving to Houston area this summer. I have a job at Alief ISD and have a couple more coming in...looking at Katy, Sugar Land, etc. Anyone from the Houston area recommend a real estate agent, areas they recommend, etc? Thanks!
I live in Katy (actually it is pretty much Fulshear). I will send you some info, later.

I grew up in Alief. Went to Kennedy elementary and Holub middle school and graduated from Hastings. It has changed a lot since I graduated.
Pilotgirl
Thanks!
CertifiedAxeman98
I just realized that this topic was about what we do so here is my story:

As I mentioned above, I grew up in Houston then went to SFA in the fall of 1993. I graduated in 1998 with a BBA in Accounting and a Masters in Accounting. I was 1 of 7 that graduated under the then brand new MPA program. I met my wife at SFA who is also an accountant.

I was 1 of the 23,617 fans at the McNeese game in 1995. It was crazy. I can still remember the McNeese flag guys try and run through our band with their flags and come out with their life and some broken flags and not much else. The Ladyjacks basketball team was really good and in the NCAA tourney several years while I as there.

I started my career in public accounting and I'm a CPA which is why my handle starts with Certified. I have never done tax work so I can't help you with you taxes. After 8 years as an auditor I left the 60-80 hour a week job so I could spend more time with my family and not ended up divorced like several partners I knew that were on their 2 or 3 marriage. I worked for 9 years at Hines, one of the largest private real estate companies in the world as a controller over projects in the US and overseas. I left there about 3 years ago to take a CFO position for Interfin a Houston based real estate company.

My parents are both Sam Houston grads, my brother and his wife are HBU grads and my wife's parents both graduated from Lamar. So, we have a house divided. It makes it fun when sports are going and we love going the SLC basketball tournament so watch our schools play especially since we live the in the Katy area.
SFA Jack Fanatic

Nice story, 98. Thanks for sharing. Thanksgivings must be fun.

I'm married to a Prison Tech grad, but fortunately for me, she's not much of a sports fan, so we can tolerate each other most of the time.
PurpleOut
Staff
Update on this for me, for a few things. I left AWS and Amazon entirely a few months ago and took a role with a smaller eCommerce company to get back to what I like doing more.

Separately, I've also decided to start my own web design and marketing company as a side business (for now, until I see how it goes). Helping smaller and local businesses with their websites, marketing, lead generation etc. Basing it out of McKinney, but I can definitely help anyone when it comes to SEO, web design, social media ads, etc. Not fully up and going yet, but getting close. Happy to help anyone here that has their own business and could use some help, or at the minimum some guidance.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Update on this for me, for a few things. I left AWS and Amazon entirely a few months ago and took a role with a smaller eCommerce company to get back to what I like doing more.

Separately, I've also decided to start my own web design and marketing company as a side business (for now, until I see how it goes). Helping smaller and local businesses with their websites, marketing, lead generation etc. Basing it out of McKinney, but I can definitely help anyone when it comes to SEO, web design, social media ads, etc. Not fully up and going yet, but getting close. Happy to help anyone here that has their own business and could use some help, or at the minimum some guidance.

That's awesome man. Congrats on both new endeavors!
sfajack05
PurpleOut said:

That's awesome man. Congrats!

I started a new position with a local two year college a couple months ago as their Educational Technology Coordinator and Webmaster.
djsfw57
Sounds like some interesting changes taking place. My big change won't come until June 1, but on that day I am officially retired after 41 years of teaching.
SFA, Class of 1979
Txjack
djsfw57 said:

Sounds like some interesting changes taking place. My big change won't come until June 1, but on that day I am officially retired after 41 years of teaching.
Wow! Being married to a teacher, i can respect that. Not easy to do that in this day and age.
I just attained 25 years with TXDOT; currently selling state surplus property and property manager for the Houston District. And i thought 25 years was a long time....
djsfw57
Txjack said:

djsfw57 said:

Wow! Being married to a teacher, i can respect that. Not easy to do that in this day and age.
I just attained 25 years with TXDOT; currently selling state surplus property and property manager for the Houston District. And i thought 25 years was a long time....
Thanks! I am very blessed to have had 40 wonderful years. This year has been a challenge in many ways, which tells me it's time to go. I don't want to keep doing it until I hate it, and I'm getting dangerously close to that this year. Kids haven't changed at all over the years, but parents and administrators sure have.
SFA, Class of 1979
nacluth
As of today, I am now a marathon finisher. My brother and I started running a year and a half ago, and we worked our way up through different distances. Honestly, the marathon was on my life bucket list, but I didn't think I would ever complete it.

Suffering through long nights of training and about six weeks of shin splints (ouch!), it was gratifying to go out and complete something that you've worked so hard for. At 41, I know there's time for more, but the sacrifice away from family time probably means this is it for me for long distances.

Nothing made me happier than running with my brother and having our families there to cheer us on. It's not too late to cross something off yours.

(I'm the one in the red.)
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Awesome story. I've never ran a marathon.... maybe I will try .
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
Great job guitar maker! Ivey may not turn on the purple lights, but our purple Christmas lights are shining bright for you lol.
PurpleOut
Staff
Nice job!
65tosspowertrap
after 22 years in PR of some sort, I got called to teach. In 9th year teaching middle school Math at a classical Christian school inn Austin. Never worked so hard and had so much fun. God is good. All the time.

Merry Christmas,
C. Martin '87
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
TallTexan
Anyone here work in Medical Device/Pharmaceutical Sales?
TallTexan
Any of yall that live in East Texas in the car business?

Looking to add a second vehicle to our household & wouldn't mind buying from a fellow Sawmiller, thought I'd check.
Pilotgirl
I can't recommend getting Honda enough for you and you're upcoming commute. Plus, Jack O Diamonds is amazing. They helped me so much when my Pilot was having engine problems (they ended up paying for everything after I got it back up to Tyler from Houston because, at the time I bought it, they offered a lifetime power train warranty).
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

I can't recommend getting Honda enough for you and you're upcoming commute. Plus, Jack O Diamonds is amazing. They helped me so much when my Pilot was having engine problems (they ended up paying for everything after I got it back up to Tyler from Houston because, at the time I bought it, they offered a lifetime power train warranty).
That's awesome. I'll check it out & see what they have. Lifetime power-train warranties are becoming pretty popular Isee, but I'd never heard of anyone who had to use one, so glad to hear it paid out.

If I get a car solely for commuting it will definitely be either a Toyota, Honda, or Subaru. That said, my wife's got her eye on a Flex or a Truck for her to drive too & from work & I'll keep driving the Forester.
TallTexan
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

That's awesome. I'll check it out & see what they have. Lifetime power-train warranties are becoming pretty popular Isee, but I'd never heard of anyone who had to use one, so glad to hear it paid out.

If I get a car solely for commuting it will definitely be either a Toyota, Honda, or Subaru. That said, my wife's got her eye on a Flex or a Truck for her to drive too & from work & I'll keep driving the Forester.

Also, yes, I have a Forester. None of yall can out Lumberjack me unless you're gonna commute in a logging truck.
nacluth
Well now that you mention it...
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

I don't think they offer it anymore but they did honor it and never BS'ed me. The engine job was 5k. It was a manufacturing issues that effected 2008 thru 15s I think.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

I don't think they offer it anymore but they did honor it and never BS'ed me. The engine job was 5k. It was a manufacturing issues that effected 2008 thru 15s I think.
That's awesome.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Texas Direct Auto is owned by two SFA grads. They're a huge vehicle dealer. They're online and throughout SE Texas. Not sure if they have a presence in East Texas though.

www.texasdirectauto.com

TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Texas Direct Auto is owned by two SFA grads. They're a huge vehicle dealer. They're online and throughout SE Texas. Not sure if they have a presence in East Texas though.

www.texasdirectauto.com

Thanks!
sfajack05
TallTexan said:

Any of yall that live in East Texas in the car business?

Looking to add a second vehicle to our household & wouldn't mind buying from a fellow Sawmiller, thought I'd check.
Not me but my fraternity brother is the finance manager at Elder CDJR in Gun Barrell.
PurpleOut
Staff
To any of our small business owners, or if you know someone that could use some web help, I'm providing free 5-8 minute videos with a side by side website comparison. Your business against your top ranking competitors on Google, along with some tips that will help your site and help generate more business.
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

My brother's house in Katy. He has taken a job in Colorado. They have put a lot of upgrades into it in the last couple of years.

https://www.har.com/23235-lidstone-point-court/sale_88211611

Edit: I just noticed the posting says it is under contact. If so, it moved fast.
That's a damn nice house. Can't believe the price. Where I live that house would easily go for 500k.
SFA, Class of 1979

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.