What do you do?

32,009 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
sfa17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wow has this forum been sponsored by amazon
PurpleOut
Staff
sfa17 said:

wow has this forum been sponsored by amazon
I'll ask Jeff.
sfa17
I like the sound of "Jeff Bezos Arena". Do you work at amazon. Purple?
SFAXE93
I hope Amazon picks Atlanta, GA for their second HQ.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

nacluth said:

Thanks SFAXE93. Feel free to come by and play anytime.

sfa17, what would be the job market you're looking for?
I got a B.S in psychology (don't ask me why). But i want to change fields. Maybe go back to school and
get a Masters in business or maybe something in I.T like cyber security (which wouldn't require me to go back to school but get certifications and hands on experience.)
Lots of demand for and money to be made in cybersecurity. Go for it, 17!! (But don't stop posting the results of your excellent MBB research here on The Sawmill!)

Oh, to be young again, knowing what I know now, and be in your current position...............
sfa17
Thanks ed. I'll keep them coming.
PurpleOut
Staff
sfa17 said:

I like the sound of "Jeff Bezos Arena". Do you work at amazon. Purple?
Yep, moved to Seattle in 2015.

May be back soon.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

edstile said:

Jacks4460 said:

I am looking to get into the Athletic Dept. at SFA somehow.. I have a lead and I will continue to work it. I realize the pay isnt great but I truly believe this is something that I will get up every morning on fire to want to do well..

Tall Texan you make me belly laugh dude..
After reading virtually all of your posts over many months, you obviously have a great love for SFA and lots of experience in the business world. I really hope you land that job in SFA Athletics.

And don't encourage the Texan. That'll just make him a worse comedian than he already is.
Thanks Ed. I have one son I need to get graduated from HS (soph) and I am wanting to see who we hire for AD. I saw the marketing job that was posted last month but my son is still my main priority for now. His mom and I were divorced when he was 3 and the Lord has blessed me with him wanting to live with me since the 8th grade, so I am gonna focus my attention on him.
Definitely, spend time with the son, pretty soon he'll be off conquering the world on his own. And we need to keep his grades up, we don't want him to get a 4 year sentence to hard labor at SHSU.

This isn't quite in the Athletic Department, but might line up well with your timeline & your business skillset. SFA is getting ready to kick off a 100 million fundraising campaign in the next year or two. I would imagine that a few positions for fundraising should open up. That'll be big for the future of the university.

Thanks Texan I will keep watch for it...
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Is this an insider tip that Nac is landing HQ2? Because I'm in Vegas and the odds I could get on that bet would be astronomical and we could quickly pay for new sports facilities.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

nacluth said:

Thanks SFAXE93. Feel free to come by and play anytime.

sfa17, what would be the job market you're looking for?
I got a B.S in psychology (don't ask me why). But i want to change fields. Maybe go back to school and
get a Masters in business or maybe something in I.T like cyber security (which wouldn't require me to go back to school but get certifications and hands on experience.)

Anything programming related, including cybersecurity is a good field to get into and one of the few meritocracy's out there. I used to do biz dev for a software dev shop and most of our guys had a totally unrelated degree. 3 or 4 of our 15 people where completely self taught.

On the business side, I'd suggest taking an entry level sales role over jumping back in for a masters. Those masters student loans get expensive in a hurry and you'd be surprised how fast you can learn on your feet when doing sales.

Anything on the admin/biz side of healthcare may be a fit for your psychology background as well. It would be a good chance to mesh the psychology with the business side because it's so people oriented.

sfa17
Great info Texan. Yeah I'm leaning toward I.T
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I'm in Vegas and the odds I could get on that bet would be astronomical and we could quickly pay for new sports facilities.
"Gal and Geezer Arena" would sound.... uh..... OK.... uh.... I guess.... Just be sure to build our facilities first before you blow the rest of that fortune on those other trivial activities of yours, Texan.
TallTexan
edstile said:

Gal and Geezer Arena" would sound.... uh..... OK.... uh.... I guess....

It would sound incredibly accurate on nights when our students don't show up lol.

I'm actually going to name it Sports is Marketing Arena, just so the university doesn't forget.
sfajack05
Graduated in 05 and 08.

Worked in tv for 5 years and then got into education where I do video production along with distance education.

I saw someone mention they teach ASL, my wife teaches deaf and hard of hearing students.
nacluth
Well I got to do something pretty fun tonight. Some of you may remember the 60's group The Lovin' Spoonful and their hits like Summer in the City, Do You Believe in Magic, Daydream... The list goes on for a mile. Anyway, we got to deliver an instrument to John Sebastian, the singer/songwriter of the group, at a concert in Winnsboro tonight. He surprised us by stopping the show midstream and going backstage to get the guitar and show it off to the audience. A fun night, a great show, and getting one of your musical heroes playing your stuff. It was nice.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Well I got to do something pretty fun tonight. Some of you may remember the 60's group The Lovin' Spoonful and their hits like Summer in the City, Do You Believe in Magic, Daydream... The list goes on for a mile. Anyway, we got to deliver an instrument to John Sebastian, the singer/songwriter of the group, at a concert in Winnsboro tonight. He surprised us by stopping the show midstream and going backstage to get the guitar and show it off to the audience. A fun night, a great show, and getting one of your musical heroes playing your stuff. It was nice.

Very cool, Ryan. I must assume he was given the instrument free gratis by Kinnaird Guitars, right?
tangerito
That's awesome. I believe you left out the theme from "Welcome Back Kotter". Wish I could afford one of your pieces of Art. I'll just have to bang away on my Taylor until I hit the lottery.
nacluth
No, amazingly he paid for it. We gave him a deal because he's going to play it at shows, but we didn't give it away. We have had artists ask us to give them instruments before, but it's not seemed like a good investment for us. It's gratifying when performers want your stuff enough to part with their money for it.
nacluth
Yes he played Welcome Back Kotter and got the audience to sing along. It was great fun. He also wrote the theme songs to Strawberry Shortcake and the Care Bears, but people loved singing along Welcome Back.
No-look
I've had the pleasure of holding some of nacluth's guitars. Works of art! I'm a Martin guitar enthusiast and Ryan sets them up for me. One of these days I'm going to order one of Ryan's masterpiece's. Cool place to hang out. I'm a home builder by trade in the Lufkin area. I've been a big SFA basketball fan for years. I enjoy metal detecting for historical items and a big highschool basketball fan. Been a season tickets holder for the Jacks basketball program for several years. I'm ready for the season!
nacluth
Thanks No-look. By the way, that guitar you liked was the one John Sebastian bought. You must have good taste!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Any of you happen to be in the insurance industry?
BigJack85
The alumni association can point you in the right direction.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TheRevSFA
I sling that Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Rotella.

Love working for Shell. Got the initial role with them out of luck and have been here 10 years strong
nacluth
I know everyone was worried, but I finished my first half marathon today and got all the Blue Bell I could eat afterwards. Honestly, not very much. I'm happy to finish, but 5/10Ks seem to be more my pace.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I know everyone was worried, but I finished my first half marathon today and got all the Blue Bell I could eat afterwards. Honestly, not very much. I'm happy to finish, but 5/10Ks seem to be more my pace.
Half marathons are rough. Felt like I got hit by a freight train the next day.

Congrats! Glad you got it finished before these storms hit.
djsfw57
nacluth said:

I admire that. I don't even want to drive a half marathon.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Congratulations!
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Good job, Ryan!
nacluth
Thanks everyone. So sore, but being a national champion again makes me feel better.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Thanks everyone. So sore, but being a national champion again makes me feel better.

So, you won a natty too? Nice!
drhuggybear
Me, I am a "Sales Engineer" for Splunk. I prefer the title, Technical Evangelist. Basically I came from the engineering side of the house but they realized I wouldn't pass out or throw up in front of a customer so I get to have the technical conversation with the customer. Make the marketing real for them.

We camp a-lot ... well "glamp" to be honest. I have a wife and 2 daughters that require more creature comforts. Past that just work and family time.
nacluth
Nice. I think my camping days are getting fewer with my three girls too. However they like getting out in nature even if they don't really want to sleep out in it. Never heard of Splunk but that's a descriptive name.
Pilotgirl
So... moving to Houston area this summer. I have a job at Alief ISD and have a couple more coming in...looking at Katy, Sugar Land, etc. Anyone from the Houston area recommend a real estate agent, areas they recommend, etc? Thanks!
TallTexan
Yes, here's a handy guide on the best place to live near Houston.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.