2023 Softball

9,264 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by No-look
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA drops Game 1 to Lamar 3-2. Part of the blame for the loss goes to the coach, who sent a runner home from 3rd in the bottom of the sixth with the score 2-2, and she was out by a country mile. A wild pitch a couple of pitches later would have scored her.

To say she was out by a country mile is a stretch, but it was a mistake by coach. Beyond that, we did not play well against a bad team.
SFAXE93
Ladyjacks get a crack at the SEC today!

SFAJack_76
This team is really close to being good. Two close losses this weekend to a McNeese team that has beaten two top 25 teams. One more shot at Ole Miss on Sunday morning.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
Coach sums up the series well. Jumped ahead in game one, and hung on. Absolutely gave away the first game on Saturday. Errors and base running blunders gifted UIW the win. Hung around in game two on Saturday until UIW made the mistakes, and we took advantage of them. Won the series 2-1, but should have been a comfortable sweep.

This is a team in transition. Different coaches with different philosophies. For example, we stole 13 bases all last season. Through 19 games this season, we have 30. They have shuffled the line up multiple times to see what works best. Our starting pitchers this series were a RS freshman, sophomore, and true freshman. I look forward to seeing where they are by the start of conference play.

SFAJack_76

SFAJack_76
In addition to the 2 HR game by Garcia, Gainous had a very efficient, 76 pitch complete game. Jacks dominated this game. 1-0 in WAC.
SFAJack_76
There is a lot to like about this series sweep. Only three games, but really good all around play. Brooke Gainous with two wins and a save. Fifteen innings of shutout ball. Has to be WAC pitcher of the week. Outscored the preseason #4 team by 13-1.

[url=https://twitter.com/sfa_softball/status/1637217890897207302?s=61&t=71GPFXsXwOKyJG7xMCnxyQ]

[/url]
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

There is a lot to like about this series sweep. Only three games, but really good all around play. Brooke Gainous with two wins and a save. Fifteen innings of shutout ball. Has to be WAC pitcher of the week. Outscored the preseason #4 team by 15-1.

[url=https://twitter.com/sfa_softball/status/1637217890897207302?s=61&t=71GPFXsXwOKyJG7xMCnxyQ]
[/url]

Wowzers. Wowzers. Nice start.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
RPI took a big jump from 146 to 112 with the sweep of CBU. Seattle at home this weekend is currently at 116. First though is a mid-week at #13 UT.
SFAJack_76
The good news.
SFAJack_76
The bad. Brooke Gainous did not get pitcher of the week. All she did was go 3-0 with a save, 20 innings with an ERA of 0.00, and throw a five inning no hitter. Her stats were much, much better than the girl that got it.

Ridiculous.
SFAXE93
Taking on the #8 team in the nation Texas (26-5-1)

The Ladyjacks riding a 6-game win streak (14-11-0) but looking for that first win on the road (0-5 on the road)

This will be the first time SFA has played Texas in softball since 2013 when the Ladyjacks lost 0-6 in Austin.

SFA did win in Austin back in 2011 shocking the #3 Lady Longhorns 1-0

BigJack85
Things have not started off very well.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Things have not started off very well.

Have not done ourselves a lot of favors with errors tonight. 5+ runs.
SFAJack_76
I don't know why we schedule that game. Eight hours on a bus to be cannon fodder. Probably it doesn't hang over to an important home series against Seattle. Hope it doesn't.
SFAXE93

TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

I don't know why we schedule that game. Eight hours on a bus to be cannon fodder. Probably it doesn't hang over to an important home series against Seattle. Hope it doesn't.

Payday?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Payday?
Yes, but not much.
SFA88
Is this just a goof up or is SFA no longer using the Ladyjack name? If it is a mistake, I think 24 hours is long enough to allow for it to be fixed. Maybe I'm the only one that occasionally reads these articles. If it is a change, I can cope. I female Lumberjack is still a Lumberjack.

https://sfajacks.com/news/2023/3/23/softball-lumberjacks-begin-second-conference-series-at-home-against-redhawks
TallTexan
They also mixed up baseball and softball once in the article.

The only team I know for sure that uses Ladyjacks is WBB. I know soccer uses Lumberjack Soccer.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

They also mixed up baseball and softball once in the article.

The only team I know for sure that uses Ladyjacks is WBB. I know soccer uses Lumberjack Soccer.

They're using new employees and students to write these articles. We're getting more and faster coverage of all sports, but more coverage may not mean better.
SFAJack_76
SFA88 said:

Is this just a goof up or is SFA no longer using the Ladyjack name? If it is a mistake, I think 24 hours is long enough to allow for it to be fixed. Maybe I'm the only one that occasionally reads these articles. If it is a change, I can cope. I female Lumberjack is still a Lumberjack.

https://sfajacks.com/news/2023/3/23/softball-lumberjacks-begin-second-conference-series-at-home-against-redhawks
The teams are given the choice. Soccer went with Lumberjacks two seasons ago. Softball went that way this season. To my knowledge, the rest of the female teams are using Ladyjack.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA88 said:

The teams are given the choice. Soccer went with Lumberjacks two seasons ago. Softball went that way this season. To my knowledge, the rest of the female teams are using Ladyjack.

Works for me. Happy with whatever the teams decide.
SFA88
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA88 said:

Works for me. Happy with whatever the teams decide.
Yeah, I'm cool with it. I didn't know the team had the option but that makes sense.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
Ladyjacks cruise

The Ladyjacks are 7-3 (16-14; 5-2) in their last 10 and currently in 2nd place in the WAC, just a half game out of 1st (Utah Tech)
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ladyjacks split a DH with the University of Houston. UH is not a national power, but they're 3-0 in the AAC. A good showing.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Wait, I thought GCU was supposed to have a cakewalk through the WAC, with their dozen or so pre-season first team All-Conference players.
SFAXE93
GCU loses again dropping to 5-5

SFAJack_76
SFAXE93

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.