SFA / Lamar

50,968 Views | 201 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SfaTke596
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

No-look said:

Wasn't coaching today. Keller shouldn't have to be the one to get players jacked up for a game. That should come from the players also. We just got beat in every area of the game today. We played poorly and Lamar was hot.

Actually, I think he gets paid to have his team motivated and ready to play.
True, that's part of it but players have to respond on the court. I'm not laying this one all on coaching. Shot poorly from the free throw line(the few times we got there) unforced turnovers, got beat on the boards, taking low percentage shots,etc... it was a team effort. Need to put this one behind us and get ready for the next game.

He also gets paid to play the players that respond.

How many Ivan Canete lazy passes and lost defensive possessions before he gets benched?

Apparently, not enough. How many terrible plays does Sammy have to make before he's on the pine?

Not enoUgh, apparently.
CottonValleyJack
MasterAxe said:

INiedrauer said:

Those of you saying Keller is a mediocre coach for this....come on. I have a hard time taking that seriously enough to express disagreement.

You have any facts to the contrary? If he's not mediocre, what is he? Good...maybe. Maybe.

Certainly isn't great.

13/18 wins are non D1 or sub-.500 teams.

If this is "great", is there a word grandiose enough in the English language for his predecessor?
INiedrauer
Staff
Teams go through ups and downs. This was a bad loss. A really bad loss. I don't get the trend of sports fans who lash out at their own team when things go wrong. Everyone here objectively knows this isn't a mediocre team, but they didn't play well tonight, battled some internal adversity (notably being without their best player) and didn't handle it well.

If it makes you feel better to lash out, that's what this board is for I guess. That's all I'm going to say, I have a long drive.

The sun will come up tomorrow and the goals are all ahead.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

MasterAxe
INiedrauer said:

Teams go through ups and downs. This was a bad loss. A really bad loss. I don't get the trend of sports fans who lash out at their own team when things go wrong. Everyone here objectively knows this isn't a mediocre team, but they didn't play well tonight, battled some internal adversity (notably being without their best player) and didn't handle it well.

If it makes you feel better to lash out, that's what this board is for I guess. That's all I'm going to say, I have a long drive.

The sun will come up tomorrow and the goals are all ahead.

And I don't get the trend of everyone always having an excuse for bad play. I know you're closer to the team than most, so maybe you can't publish any bad narratives.

But, we can. It's why we are fans. Fanatics.

And, objectively speaking, we have a lot of wins over bad teams. And we're constantly playing down to inferior teams.

Drive safe.

SFA Jack Fanatic
I agree with Isaac. This loss is on the players, not the coach.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Lamar dominated inside. That was the difference. Nuff said.
MasterAxe
edstile said:

Apparently none of the losses are.

Coach gets credit for wins.
Players get blamed for losses.
Ljacks&Longnecks
MasterAxe said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Not saying he gets a pass, everyone on the team and staff should be embarrassed by the poor effort tonight but several of you guys have been on him since the beginning of his first season and never let up, you just go quiet when we win several in a row and then start baying as soon as we drop a game.
I don't know if Keller will prove to be the man or not but he had very little to work with last year, the improvement this year is obvious but there are still many things that need work including consistency.

I get tired of the "he's a great coach," narrative. And it's real. It's on this thread.

Great person? Yes.
Great coach? Let's slow that train down
Yes , but not said by me. For my money it is too early in the Keller campaign to judge how to rank him as a head coach. He had little to work with last year, this year is greatly improved but still lots of work to do not the least of which is consistency. If the improvement continues next year then that's what we are looking for...remains to be seen but I'm willing to give him the time to build SFA up.

Now Master you brought up our schedule and the sked is what it is.....but as I recall from previous threads that you wanted us to play a schedule of Power 5 and all D1 schools like a Texas Southern does....now if we did that and came out 3-9 or so I dare say you (and others) would be even more after the coach's head.
CottonValleyJack
MasterAxe said:

edstile said:

Apparently none of the losses are.

Coach gets credit for wins.
Players get blamed for losses.
John Wooden couldn't have beat LAMAR tonight, remember? We still have guys in the denial stage. I'm not judging, the stages of grief are no cake walk.
Ljacks&Longnecks
CottonValleyJack said:

MasterAxe said:

INiedrauer said:

Those of you saying Keller is a mediocre coach for this....come on. I have a hard time taking that seriously enough to express disagreement.

You have any facts to the contrary? If he's not mediocre, what is he? Good...maybe. Maybe.

Certainly isn't great.

If this is "great", is there a word grandiose enough in the English language for his predecessor?
Well Cotton since y'all don't like Keller's record...his predecessor's record since moving up to play with the big boys is very mediocre.
SFA Jack Fanatic
On the post-game interview on the Beaumont radio station Lamar coach Price said they saw something in the scouting reports about SFA's point guards that they could exploit. Whatever it was worked for them.
CottonValleyJack
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

MasterAxe said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Not saying he gets a pass, everyone on the team and staff should be embarrassed by the poor effort tonight but several of you guys have been on him since the beginning of his first season and never let up, you just go quiet when we win several in a row and then start baying as soon as we drop a game.
I don't know if Keller will prove to be the man or not but he had very little to work with last year, the improvement this year is obvious but there are still many things that need work including consistency.

I get tired of the "he's a great coach," narrative. And it's real. It's on this thread.

Great person? Yes.
Yes , but not said by me. For my money it is too early in the Keller campaign to judge how to rank him as a head coach. He had little to work with last year, this year is greatly improved but still lots of work to do not the least of which is consistency. If the improvement continues next year then that's what we are looking for...remains to be seen but I'm willing to give him the time to build SFA up.

Now Master you brought up our schedule and the sked is what it is.....but as I recall from previous threads that you wanted us to play a schedule of Power 5 and all D1 schools like a Texas Southern does....now if we did that and came out 3-9 or so I dare say you (and others) would be even more after the coach's head.
Good point. We would be very competitive in D2 with Keller.
CottonValleyJack
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

CottonValleyJack said:

MasterAxe said:

INiedrauer said:

Certainly isn't great.

Well Cotton since y'all don't like Keller's record...his predecessor's record since moving up to play with the big boys is very mediocre.
Good - maybe he will come back. I like his record here.
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

MasterAxe said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Great person? Yes.

If we played a tough schedule, and lost a lot...and still played poor on the road in conference, I'd still be on him.

What I don't like is people using the 18 wins to say he's some sort of great coach.

When, in reality, the majority of those wins are against garbage teams.

I'd gladly trade those non D1 wins for losses against P5 schools if it meant not getting pasted by SELA, UCA and Lamar.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Cotton, I think you misunderstood me. Wooden, with the players we had on the court tonight, could not have beaten Lamar. As I said, the players lost this game, not Coach K. Lamar was just a better team tonight. Emphasising: TONIGHT.
MasterAxe
edstile said:

On the post-game interview on the Beaumont radio station Lamar coach Price said they saw something in the scouting reports about SFA's point guards that they could exploit. Whatever it was worked for them.

That we foul a ton.

And, since we play so tight, if you can game plan a way to dribble drive past us, we're toast. Either layups or open 3's.

It's what UCA did as well.
CottonValleyJack
edstile said:

Cotton, I think you misunderstood me. Wooden, with the players we had on the court tonight, could not have beaten Lamar. As I said, the players lost this game, not Coach K. Lamar was just a better team tonight. Emphasising: TONIGHT.
And I'm saying that there are MANY coaches who couldn't hold Wooden's jock strap that could have won the game tonight with this group.

One a side note - I'm not trying to be rude, I like you as a poster. Just my opinion.
Gazette1
OK, i've been called out before for being critical but unless the entire team was sick, I see nothing to be proud of. When you get out rebounded that bad your not putting out enough effort. I don't give a darn about the officiating. That was an embarrassing effort. I'm afraid that for whatever reason the coach is not getting through to the players. He seems to be in danger of losing his team. We're not the best team in the conference. Far from it! I think what Tic was talking about is that our point guards are constantly dribbling into traps and double teams.
MasterAxe
Gazette1 said:

OK, i've been called out before for being critical but unless the entire team was sick, I see nothing to be proud of. When you get out rebounded that bad your not putting out enough effort. I don't give a darn about the officiating. That was an embarrassing effort. I'm afraid that for whatever reason the coach is not getting through to the players. He seems to be in danger of losing his team. We're not the best team in the conference. Far from it!

Oh no...you may have just invited a riot from the Kyle Keller apologists.
sfajack05
This team has looked lost on offense throughout the season leading to scoring droughts. We must lead the nation in stupid ass fouls and committing fouls near the half court line. When they are down there are no adjustments made.

When you think the team finally found its groove they go out and lose to a SELA, UCA, or Lamar.

It's frustrating because you can see the talent we have. Keller is a great recruiter but he can't manage this team and he looks lost on the sidelines when it matters.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Master, I don't like losing conference games on the road either but I'm just not ready to lump all the blame on Keller or any coach when we do lose.Tonight was a total team and coaching failure....someone on here said it was Keller's worst loss at SFA and they may well be right. So do we give up on him now?

I know the Underwood years were fantastic but they are past and he would have had to rebuild after Walkup and crew left just as Keller is having to do. We are still a mid major and still have a long road to walk before we can lay claim to being the next great mid major. Some of you wrote Keller off before his first season was a few games old which is your right but was totally unrealistic.

So can you naysayers deny the improvement in this season over last year. Or do we only grade coaching by the latest loss.
PurpleOut
Staff
It's definitely odd that in one week our board has gone from wanting to give him a raise and extension to basically fired.

And I wish we'd all stop comparing him/this team to Underwood/his teams, they're completely different and the league is different. And to say he doesn't hold him responsible is a stretch too, he's always pretty self critical. He even said he has higher expectations than anyone, you can tell how much he cares by how animated he has been lately.

Obviously doesn't mean he and the staff don't deserve any criticism, of course they do. We lost at all aspects of the game tonight, including coaching. Bogues missed a wide open layup, TJ missed a wide open layup, got dominated on the boards, and have guys just making lazy passes. We deserved to lose tonight.
INiedrauer
Staff
PurpleOut said:

It's definitely odd that in one week our board has gone from wanting to give him a raise and extension to basically fired.

And I wish we'd all stop comparing him/this team to Underwood/his teams, they're completely different and the league is different. And to say he doesn't hold him responsible is a stretch too, he's always pretty self critical. He even said he has higher expectations than anyone, you can tell how much he cares by how animated he has been lately.

Obviously doesn't mean he and the staff don't deserve any criticism, of course they do. We lost at all aspects of the game tonight, including coaching. Bogues missed a wide open layup, TJ missed a wide open layup, got dominated on the boards, and have guys just making lazy passes. We deserved to lose tonight.
Well said.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Master, I don't like losing conference games on the road either but I'm just not ready to lump all the blame on Keller or any coach when we do lose.Tonight was a total team and coaching failure....someone on here said it was Keller's worst loss at SFA and they may well be right. So do we give up on him now?

I know the Underwood years were fantastic but they are past and he would have had to rebuild after Walkup and crew left just as Keller is having to do. We are still a mid major and still have a long road to walk before we can lay claim to being the next great mid major. Some of you wrote Keller off before his first season was a few games old which is your right but was totally unrealistic.

So can you naysayers deny the improvement in this season over last year. Or do we only grade coaching by the latest loss.

We're "improved" because we have more wins...majority of which are against non D1 or sub.500 teams.

tonight's game and the constant state of road inconsistency don't show me improvement.

We peaked mid-December.

It's been a regression since. I don't know how anyone can see otherwise.

Worst conference loss in 16 years.

That's a strange metric for improvement.
Gazette1
I will not quit on my expectations. I do believe it is fair to compare what we have to Underwoods teams or even Kaspars teams. We have got to get better or just face the fact that we are mediocre. We're just making too many mistakes. That usually that we are either getting out coached or out recruited. This team seems to have an attitude problem. I disagree Isaac. It is certainly fair to compare. Many of you were comparing Underwood to Kaspar and Kaspar was a very successful coach. A kaspar coached team wouldn't have got out out rebounded like that and his defense would have gotten some stops. Having said that. I'm not ready to fire Keller yet, if ever. Case and point!
INiedrauer
Staff
Nothing deleted that I can see.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PurpleOut
Staff
I'm still very frustrated tonight, but we're still just one game back, and have played less games. It sucks knowing a win tonight would have had us in 1st place.
RedRiverLa
Based on the entire collegiate coaching community reviews and recommendations. It's ridiculous to expect miracles the first several years. Show me great coaches and you will always find their first several years we're not blockbuster years. Unfortunately, in today's immediate result or your fired mentality, fans have no patience. Brad was a good coach because he was left great players by Kasper. Keller was left Ty and he was hurt, maybe TJ. But to say Keller has to go this early is very premature.
PurpleOut
Staff
INiedrauer said:

edstile said:

Coach K yelled to the crowd "We didn't take his son as a recruit so he's paying us back.". He was referring to the tall ref. Coach K also said something that I can't repeat.

Take this for what it's worth: this is actually accurate and it hasn't been their first run in with him since then. SLC needs to stop letting him officiate SFA games. Personalities and bad blood should never even be allowed to be considered in a D1 basketball game.

Also, I'd like to hear more on this. Always more that goes on that we can't see, but this is insane. If even the slightest bit is true (and I believe it) then it needs to be investigated.
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

INiedrauer said:

edstile said:

Coach K yelled to the crowd "We didn't take his son as a recruit so he's paying us back.". He was referring to the tall ref. Coach K also said something that I can't repeat.

Take this for what it's worth: this is actually accurate and it hasn't been their first run in with him since then. SLC needs to stop letting him officiate SFA games. Personalities and bad blood should never even be allowed to be considered in a D1 basketball game.

Also, I'd like to hear more on this. Always more that goes on that we can't see, but this is insane. If even the slightest bit is true (and I believe it) then it needs to be investigated.

Are we all good with Keller yelling this into the stands?

Makes us look petty, sore losers and conspiracy theorists.

I don't want our team represented that way.

And if we have an issue with bad refs...play better. Refs didn't cause all the missed layups and blown defensive assignment and no coaching adjustments.

Blaming refs are what losers do.
RedRiverLa
I couldn't agree with you more, Isaac. This Keller bashing is ridiculous. I'll just write it off to people being frustrated by such a loss and spoiled by our unbelievable run several years ago. Some who are just making their first appearance on this Forum for this game. He's a 'great coach' a month ago and now he's not the answer and can't coach. 7-3 and 18-5. Yes, some very disappointing loses, and frustrating refs. Welcome to the reality of basketball.
INiedrauer
Staff
He yelled it to his wife. Others around could hear. It was all right behind the bench.

Not blaming refs. Frustrated that this same guy is still allowed to do SFA games. He didn't make them lose tho.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

No-look
It's time to put this game behind us and get ready for the next one. A bad loss on the road happens now and then. We can still win the conference being only a game out. I like our schedule going fourth. I think we can win out. Sorrow may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning.
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

CottonValleyJack said:

RedRiverLa said:

I still think he's a great coach. It's all about talent, got to give him some solid recruiting years. Brad is only 2-8 in conference. Walkups are once in a million.

He's "great"? Based on what?

I sure would like to see the definition of "great."

"Of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average."

I would say 7-3, 18-5 is considerably above the normal or average. I'm not saying he's the goat or the best, but his bashing is ridiculously over blown.
RedRiverLa
Well said.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.