SFA / Lamar

51,061 Views | 201 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SfaTke596
CottonValleyJack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RedRiverLa said:

I still think he's a great coach. It's all about talent, got to give him some solid recruiting years. Brad is only 2-8 in conference. Walkups are once in a million.

He's "great"? Based on what? His calling card is recruiting and our best recruit left without playing a minute. Now the UCA and Lamar's of the world are hanging 100 on us. Good times are over - it was a good run.
MasterAxe
[removed]
MasterAxe
CottonValleyJack said:

RedRiverLa said:

I still think he's a great coach. It's all about talent, got to give him some solid recruiting years. Brad is only 2-8 in conference. Walkups are once in a million.

He's "great"? Based on what?

I sure would like to see the definition of "great."
SFAXE93
Remaining road games

McNeese
Texas A&M CC
UIW
Sam Houston State
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFA Jack Fanatic
Coach K yelled to the crowd "We didn't take his son as a recruit so he's paying us back.". He was referring to the tall ref. Coach K also said something that I can't repeat.
SFAXE93
He said that? lol
BigJack85
Damn mess. Keller has got to get these guys to start with some fight.

I think we peaked in mid December.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
MasterAxe
edstile said:

Coach K yelled to the crowd "We didn't take his son as a recruit so he's paying us back.". He was referring to the tall ref. Coach K also said something that I can't repeat.

Real classy. Great job Keller, make us look like sore losers and conspiracy theorists.

How about you figure out how to coach your team
to not play like crap on the road.
SFA Jack Fanatic
John Wooden couldn't have made a difference today. Get a grip, guys.
CottonValleyJack
edstile said:

Totally rattled, lost.
SFASawmillGuy
16 seed intensifies.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Is it really that hard to admit that Lamar just played better than us today? They did! Chill out.
MasterAxe
edstile said:

John Wooden couldn't have made a difference today. Get a grip, guys.

I find no reason to. Again, extremely outplayed on the road. Yelling into the stands, classy.

Such a Hooten move.
BigJack85
16. Almost guaranteed if we get through the conference tournament
SFAXE93
13-0 at home 5-5 on the road
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ed, I sometimes think some of our board members really hope we lose so they can blast Keller. If 18-5 is mediocre that tells you where they stand plus the fact that you only see some of these guys post when we are down.
That said we did play like crap today no question. But if we are going to call for the coach's head with a record like we have, good luck on getting any coach past a year or two
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Ed, I sometimes think some of our board members really hope we lose so they can blast Keller. If 18-5 is mediocre that tells you where they stand plus the fact that you only see some of these guys post when we are down.
That said we did play like crap today no question. But if we are going to call for the coach's head with a record like we have, good luck on getting any coach past a year or two

So, he gets a pass? Not his fault at all. Zero accountability from the coach.

He's a great guy, but im really doubting ability to get this team to the next level.

I just hope we can be a top 4 seed at the SLC tourney.

And of his 18 wins...4 are non D1, 6-win Longwood, and NW, UIW and HBU who have 13 wins...combined!

Win total can be deceiving.
TallTexan
I hate this loss as much as anyone. We have road problems & got our tails kicked tonight. But I'm not going to call for Keller's head, because we're still a top team in the conference, & Southland Conference Tourney is practically our home court. I've got confidence that we'll get it together by conference tourney time.

Plenty of blame to go around for this one, but for the mediocre coach crowd: How many layups did we miss tonight? So you're telling me we have a coach who's not good enough to teach a team how to do a layup but we beat LSU & nearly Mizzou? Ok then.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

It's not the record it's the lack of consistency. We rarely look in control.
SFASawmillGuy
I didn't see anyone saying Keller is a mediocre coach. 18-5 isn't a mediocre record. Losing by 22 to a SLC opponent is embarrassing though. Not a little embarrassing. This was Keller's worst loss.
SFASawmillGuy
Again. Keller is not a bad coach. This loss was bad though.
MasterAxe
SFA_03 said:

I didn't see anyone saying Keller is a mediocre coach. 18-5 isn't a mediocre record. Losing by 22 to a SLC opponent is embarrassing though. Not a little embarrassing. This was Keller's worst loss.

We have 5 wins against teams with winning records.

We have 4 non D1 wins.

He may not be mediocre, but more than half our wins are.
No-look
Wasn't coaching today. Keller shouldn't have to be the one to get players jacked up for a game. That should come from the players also. We just got beat in every area of the game today. We played poorly and Lamar was hot.
MasterAxe
No-look said:

Wasn't coaching today. Keller shouldn't have to be the one to get players jacked up for a game. That should come from the players also. We just got beat in every area of the game today. We played poorly and Lamar was hot.

Actually, I think he gets paid to have his team motivated and ready to play.
MileHiJack
TJ was really off the mark tonight...especially shooting! It seems both sides of his game (offensive and defense) is not as dominating as it was a month ago. With Kevon out...we need him more than ever to pick up his game. He is a great talent that is not executing at the moment...at least not tonight. Maybe just a bad night...
Ljacks&Longnecks
Not saying he gets a pass, everyone on the team and staff should be embarrassed by the poor effort tonight but several of you guys have been on him since the beginning of his first season and never let up, you just go quiet when we win several in a row and then start baying as soon as we drop a game.
I don't know if Keller will prove to be the man or not but he had very little to work with last year, the improvement this year is obvious but there are still many things that need work including consistency.
Ljacks&Longnecks
CottonValleyJack said:

Keller is a great guy - mediocre coach. Time to face facts fellas!
Said right here
INiedrauer
Staff
edstile said:

Take this for what it's worth: this is actually accurate and it hasn't been their first run in with him since then. SLC needs to stop letting him officiate SFA games. Personalities and bad blood should never even be allowed to be considered in a D1 basketball game.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFASawmillGuy
Honestly, we need to stop riding the LSU win and Missouri near loss until those teams start playing better. Yes Missouri got the win today but I think beating an SEC team loses its credibility when that SEC team is not a tournament team.
INiedrauer
Staff
Those of you saying Keller is a mediocre coach for this....come on. I have a hard time taking that seriously enough to express disagreement.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

CottonValleyJack
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

CottonValleyJack said:

Keller is a great guy - mediocre coach. Time to face facts fellas!
Said right here

Here's a follow up question, which middle tier SLC team will poleaxe us next?
CottonValleyJack
INiedrauer said:

Those of you saying Keller is a mediocre coach for this....come on. I have a hard time taking that seriously enough to express disagreement.

Just to clarify, he was mediocre before this.
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Not saying he gets a pass, everyone on the team and staff should be embarrassed by the poor effort tonight but several of you guys have been on him since the beginning of his first season and never let up, you just go quiet when we win several in a row and then start baying as soon as we drop a game.
I don't know if Keller will prove to be the man or not but he had very little to work with last year, the improvement this year is obvious but there are still many things that need work including consistency.

I get tired of the "he's a great coach," narrative. And it's real. It's on this thread.

Great person? Yes.
Great coach? Let's slow that train down
MasterAxe
INiedrauer said:

You have any facts to the contrary? If he's not mediocre, what is he? Good...maybe. Maybe.

Certainly isn't great.

13/18 wins are non D1 or sub-.500 teams.
No-look
MasterAxe said:

No-look said:

Actually, I think he gets paid to have his team motivated and ready to play.
True, that's part of it but players have to respond on the court. I'm not laying this one all on coaching. Shot poorly from the free throw line(the few times we got there) unforced turnovers, got beat on the boards, taking low percentage shots,etc... it was a team effort. Need to put this one behind us and get ready for the next game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.