SFA / New Orleans

16,059 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nacluth
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (13-3; 2-1) vs. New Orleans (7-8; 4-0)

WHERE: Sawmill
WHEN: Jan. 10 (Wed.) 7:00 P.M.
TV: ESPN3

The Privateers have won 5 of their last 6 but are 2-8 from home and have no wins against division I teams during their non-conference season.

SR:5
JR:4
SO:1
FR:5

C: Bol Riek 7-3; 222 from the Sudan *** #38 Center in the country #14 State (Illinois)
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
Hey Isaac, I know you're only like 5x busier than last year, but could we get another Behind Enemy Lines with the Privateer blog like last year. That guy was great. It was one of the more entertaining BEL's that's been done.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
fortWorthJack
UNO puts up similar numbers offensively as SFA. Their scoring average is lower, low 70s. However this UNO team has been clutch in conference play so far and I expect them to continue that. If we aren't prepared and dialed in we will get run out of our own gym. We can't afford to shoot poorly for long stretches because UNO will surely stack the paint daring this team to shoot.
INiedrauer
Staff
UNO hasn't run anyone out of any gym this year, for what that's worth. We'll absolutely get their best shot on Wednesday tho..
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

cboothe09
Anyone that enjoys looking at things from an analytical view should slide over to haslametrics.com. Pretty good stuff over there.

His system is good about picking games. We are favored from here on out, and rightfully should be. It will even gauge neutral court games on there. When we get further along and start seeing the tournament picture clear up, I'll post some of those matchups.

vs. New Orleans - W - 73-63
vs. Incarnate Word - W - 84-59
@ Abilene Christian - W - 75-66
@ Central Arkansas - W - 81-76
vs. Sam Houston - W - 75-60
vs. Houston Baptist - W - 80-62
@ Lamar - W - 71-66
@ McNeese - W - 77-63
vs. NSU - W - 81-55
@ TAMU-CC - 74-62
@ Incarnate Word - W - 80-63
vs. Central Arkansas - W - 84-72
vs. Lamar - W - 74-63
vs. Abilene Christian - W - 78-63
@ Sam Houston - W - 72-63
INiedrauer
Staff
Comments from Keller/Kellogg on their games with UNO this week: https://www.facebook.com/SFALumberjacks/videos/1772559972763667/

Ryan, hopefully that's in the works.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Anyone that enjoys looking at things from an analytical view should slide over to haslametrics.com. Pretty good stuff over there.

His system is good about picking games. We are favored from here on out, and rightfully should be. It will even gauge neutral court games on there. When we get further along and start seeing the tournament picture clear up, I'll post some of those matchups.

Excellent tip. Thanks, 09! (Their 'Analysis' comments are very good, too.)
nacluth
"I don't look at FG%..." Statements like that probably drive some fans crazy, but I like getting the inside look into how Keller thinks. Stats lie, and I like that he ignores some - or at least doesn't put as much emphasis on some.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

"I don't look at FG%..." Statements like that probably drive some fans crazy, but I like getting the inside look into how Keller thinks. Stats lie, and I like that he ignores some - or at least doesn't put as much emphasis on some.
I disagree, sort of. Stats don't lie. It's how adjustments are made based on those stats that make a difference going forward... Adjustments in personnel, substitutions, player court time, defensive schemes in specific situations, offensive sets and spacing, practice emphasis, etc...
INiedrauer
Staff
I think it's less about overall not caring about field goal % and more about not caring about it on an individual game basis. One game doesn't make a trend and substitutions shouldn't reflect it.

FWIW, Brad Underwood said earlier this season he doesn't look at individual box scores at all.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
Maybe the numbers are accurate, but interpretation is not set - even if every stat is taken together. We shape our perceptions based on a lot of criteria. Like the 0% 3pt. We're not a bad outside shooting team. We were that day, but overall we're very average against every team in the nation. Not great, not terrible. We had 81 points against Rice and 62 against NWST shooting a higher FG%. If you look at the stat line for any random game that's not a blowout, I don't think you could say whether it's a good game or a bad game. If you watch the game, you might know.

My stats say I sell the most handbuilt acoustic guitars in Nacogdoches, but that doesn't make me rich. Ahh, I take it back, stats lie.
nacluth
It wasn't until I was just listening to Coach Keller's radio show that I remembered how thoroughly New Orleans beat us like a dog last year. I kept remembering how UNO choked down the stretch, but I forgot how we laid a huge egg in that game. It makes me ready to return the favor.
cboothe09
The beat us like a dog in New Orleans. We took care of business in Nac, just like I expect this year.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
Oh yeah! We definitely have a lot more razzmatazz than we did last year. Ready for tomorrow!
No-look
Jacks need to take control early.
nacluth
Game day is here!!! Hope to see you there tonight at the Coliseum to welcome those New Orleans boys to the Purple Light district. Things can get a little rough here at night.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
fortWorthJack
I am super excited for the game tonight. I think they keys to the game will be to reduce our TOs and establish some shooting presence early. Got to put that horrendous night of shooting behind us and move forward with some confidence. I would also like to see John and Aaron command the floor spacing better. Last week we crumbled when the first and second options weren't there.
nacluth
Less than an hour away. Regardless of the outcome, New Orleans still won't have a winning record.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
As good as a start as one could hope for. A dominant first four.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Another dominant four. 19-4. Keep it going.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
I like Bain's length, but he doesn't have a sense of how to score right now.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I like Bain's length, but he doesn't have a sense of how to score right now.
He looks too tight or tense on his shots.
MasterAxe
Leon Gilmore should be benched every time he shoots from outside the paint
SFA Jack Fanatic
We're missing short shots. Frustrating.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I just don't have a lot of confidence in Sammie these days.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Time for Kevon to do something.
nacluth
edstile said:

Missing short shots.
Yep. Difference in a double digit game.
nacluth
Tech you up Shless!
MasterAxe
So we score 19 in like 6 minutes to start, then finish by scoring 14 in the last 12.

Boy, what a bad stretch. UNO knows they can win, and should have loads of confidence.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Played great for 10 minutes and very bad for 10 minutes. No consistency.
nacluth
They adjusted, we kept them down. 25 points in a half- check. Up by 8 at halftime - check. Those first 8 minutes were as about as dominant as a team can play. Nobody is keeping that pace for 20. We're controlling this game.
SFA Jack Fanatic
We missed a boatload of point blank shots from within 2-4 feet.
SFA Jack Fanatic
We can't afford to lose TJ to fouls this early in the half.
MasterAxe
Free coaching advice for Kyle Keller:

Travin Thibideaux is their only offensive weapon.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.