SFA / Missouri

31,112 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleForever said:

Honest question, is it okay to consider Kevon one of the best players at any Mid Major?
Yes. And Shannon, too, IMO. One of the announcers opined that Shannon is a Big 5 talent who's playing in the Southland.
No-look
Mizzou got some home cooking in the last minute. Calling tricky tack fouls in crunch time. We could have won it.
jboy93
Way to go Jacks! Awesome game. Two things from someone that knows nothing about basketball but is a proud alumni:
1 Why did Comeau not bring the ball up at the end?
2. How does Bogues only play 17 minutes?
TallTexan
In retrospect, Augustin's foul out is probably the difference between getting a shot off or not with 13 left. Unlikely the starting point guard screws that up.
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

Way to go Jacks! Awesome game. Two things from someone that knows nothing about basketball but is a proud alumni:
1 Why did Comeau not bring the ball up at the end?
2. How does Bogues only play 17 minutes?

1. I have no idea.
2. I have no idea.
RedRiverLa
You know, I'm way more excited than disappointed. Great game in a hostile environment. Guys deserve all the accolades they are getting.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
No-look said:

Mizzou got some home cooking in the last minute. Calling tricky tack fouls in crunch time. We could have won it.

Also the no call on the Gilmore Block, they let him get mobbed.
MasterAxe
Zero complaints about the refs from me.

They looked bad for both sides lol.

Lots of ticky tack calls and lots of mugging no-calls.

TallTexan
Just once, I want to play a high major team & get to shoot as many free throws as they do.
sfa17
Never thought we could outdue BU but looks like we might have
nacluth
Couldn't be prouder of this team. There's no moral victories in sports when it comes to scores, but this was about as close as it gets. I wanted it, and I know they did. We had three close games go about as well as possible in the last possession; this one didn't. But I bet the next one does.

This team is dynamite!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
What I love about this team is that when we got the ball back with 13 left down by 1, I expected us to score. It's good to be back to our level.
sfa17
edstile said:

PurpleForever said:

Honest question, is it okay to consider Kevon one of the best players at any Mid Major?
Yes. And Shannon, too, IMO. One of the announcers opined that Shannon is a Big 5 talent who's playing in the Southland.

Shannon isnt in the southland. Shannon is at SFA. Two big differences. We are not the same .Like Gonzaga and the west coast conference
sfa17
Idk how I'm going to watch southland basketball now. let's take care of business
jboy93
SFA about to get some love on SportsCenter! Da da da...da da da!
TallTexan
Also, losing this one killed my "We Own the Louisiana purchase" sign I was gonna make.
MasterAxe
I so badly want to agree with you...but lets face it, we foul...a lot.

Like, a ton. And lots bad fouls.

And no layups. None. We foul all the time.

It's the tradeoff for causing 20+ turnovers a game. Very few, if any, other teams are going to commit to the defensive style we do for the whole game.
nacluth
Just want to say that we played a good SEC team that was ready for us. Turnovers 13 us, 21 them. Points in the paint 44 us, 24 them. We just dominated inside on a big time team and made them turn it over a lot. Just putting it out there.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

SFA about to get some love on SportsCenter! Da da da...da da da!
Yep. We got it!
jboy93
TJ got on plays of the night!
sfa17
T.j #3 on SC top 10
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFASawmillGuy
Guys. This team is a legit sweet 16 kind of team on their best day. The rest of the NCAA has taken notice to that.
nacluth
Agree. This didn't seal our 12 seed, but it didn't knock it off the table. 21 games to go...
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
Looking at the Mizzou blog, and SFA is getting LOTS of love from their fans. Some of the comments:

"SFA was the most impressive team we've played all year. Hats off to them. We were lucky to survive."
"That SFA team reminded me of an old school Arkansas team."
"SFA is one helluva team."
"Why the heck isn't the SFA coach in the Power Five?"
"When we look back at this game it will be hard to understand how Missouri got so badly outscored in the paint and were unable to open up a rebounding advantage."
"SFA is extremely impressive. What a tough, aggressive, confident team."
"It would not surprise me at all if SFA wins out after this game and ends up at something like 32-2 come the NCAA tournament. They are good."
TallTexan
edstile said:

Mostly because the Big 12 hasn't sent us an invitation yet.
djsfw57
What a game. Roller coaster ride for sure - thrilling every second! I'm so proud of the way these guys fight to the end. No matter who they play or what the score is, the never give up. That kind of strength will take them places. I'm sure we opened plenty of eyes last night.
RichieVan
When I last posted a diatribe, it was about a month ago, and my oh my, how things have changed.
This team is really starting to come together, and what was an offense that consisted of total chaos has now settled into smooth, ball movement, high ball screen offense with opportunities to showcase the athletic ability of some of our players through dribble drive penetration.
What I really like about the offense is that it enables some creativity within the overall scheme. They've cut down on their turnovers, but we still need work to value possessions more. Their outside shooting is coming around. Last night, they shot 37.5% from "3", I'll take that all year. They are sharing the ball more. In all areas they needed improvement, they've done so.
On defense, this team is tenacious. I will trade the open "3" looks for the turnovers the defense creates. Missouri averaged 14 turns a game and we forced 21. They were only minus 2 on rebounds against a much taller, physical team. Very encouraging.
I don't want to engage in hyperbole, but if this team brings this kind of effort through an 18 game Southland season, there is no reason to believe 18-0 should be the expectation, although there could always be a hiccup. My full expectation, when we're playing in the NCAA tournament, is for the announcers to say "this team is 83-7 in its last 90 conference games."
Axe 'em!
TallTexan
If I had one thing that I wish the offense did better, there's a good number of times a game when we pump fake with the defender on a 4-5 foot bubble. Just take the shot, you've got room.

But overall, this offense has come together nicely. And that's a small thing to nitpick.
INiedrauer
Staff
edstile said:

FWIW, Keller told me during a private conversation about a week ago that he absolutely loves Nacogdoches and there are only "a couple" jobs he would ever consider. I'm sure Brad probably said the same thing at some point, but worth mentioning.

I will say this though: when Keller does inevitably get that chance in the Power 5 (whether he takes it or not), I'll be nothing but thrilled for him. He's had a very long journey to get here.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

INiedrauer
Staff
By the way, thanks to a local TV station, we'll have full video of Keller's comments on the site today.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
INiedrauer said:

By the way, thanks to a local TV station, we'll have full video of Keller's comments on the site today.
Thank you local TV station! and thanks to Isaac for being the best heroin SFA pusher out there.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
I actually don't have any issues with our fouls last night. I'm fine with anyone arguing fouls 30 feet away from the basket, but that's the way we play. We're going to take chances at steals and swipe at a lot of balls, that's where a lot of our offense comes from. If Mizzou wasn't such a good shooting team (at least the way they did last night) our fouls late would have been a non-factor. Their free throw shooting ended up winning the game (23 of 27, I believe they were 22/23 until missing a few at the end).

The only issue I had last night, that I don't see anyone else mentioning, was the missed goal tend when we were tied late. Missed fouls are one thing that happens to every team every game, this however can be a game changer.

PurpleOut
Staff
Mizzou is also a great rebounding team and barely won that battle (28-26).

We've got some great supporters here on the board that see the excitement this team is bringing. I really hope the students and local community is also taking note. There's no reason we shouldn't have another attendance record this season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.