SFA / North Dakota State

40,163 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (5-1) vs. North Dakota State (3-2)

WHEN: NOV. 28; TUES: 7:30 P.M.
WHERE: WRJ
TV: ESPN3

The Bison have won 3 straight (Missouri State, Florida A&M, and Stetson)

Lost @#10 USC by 10.

SR:2
JR:2
SO:5
FR:5

5 players 6'8 and over.

Ljacks&Longnecks
Going to have to play a complete game vs NDSU to get the win...need to show up from the opening tip.
cboothe09
Outside of their loss to USC, the Bison look to be good, but a little overrated IMO. Definitely not a team we can coast past, but I'm not going to freak put over this one...Just need to make sure we don't get caught looking ahead to Monroe or La Tech
MasterAxe
Now this is the true "measuring stick" game.

Similar program success in the last years and a NCAA contender every year.

This will give us a real good idea of where we are.

Side note: the last time we played, can't remember year, I think they had a guy drop 55 (maybe more) and we won an epic game in 2OT. Maybe 2008 or 2009?
SFASawmillGuy
I just want to be able to say the sentence "SFA beat North Dakota State". Nobody knows North Dakota State plays anything other than football. It'll be impressive.
sfa17
Toughest home game we will have all season. hopefully this doesn't end like the UAB game.Sounds like Keller told the players how important this game is for the program.
SFASawmillGuy
NDSU is a tournament team and will likely win the MVC, so this would be a huge chance to get attention early on. We need these wins, because as we've seen in the past, we can sweep the SLC and still get shafted on our seeding.
But if we win these games and sweep the conference we can look at some very favorable matchups in March.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Toughest home game we will have all season. hopefully this doesn't end like the UAB game.Sounds like Keller told the players how important this game is for the program.
Yeah, he said they practiced for NDSU on Friday, even before the FAMU game. He knows that's how good they are.
BigJack85
SFA_03 said:

NDSU is a tournament team and will likely win the MVC, so this would be a huge chance to get attention early on. We need these wins, because as we've seen in the past, we can sweep the SLC and still get shafted on our seeding.
But if we win these games and sweep the conference we can look at some very favorable matchups in March.

FYI. NDSU is in the Summit League for basketball. MVC for football only.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
This game worries me because they can shoot the lights out. Lesser and worse shooting teams (FAMU yesterday) have been able to hang around with us this year by getting their 3 ball to drop. NDSU can drain them.
fortWorthJack
We need to force NDSU to drive to the hoop rather than work the ball around. I expect Keller to unleash our over-extending defense beyond the arc to stymie their set shooting. Maybe switch to zone at times to keep them guessing. Also rebounding will be important, they will be shooting from long and I expect those rebounds to be long as well.

Probably the most important facet of the game will be scoring. We can't do another 10+ minutes of "can't buy a basket" basketball. This NDSU team will not have that problem.
INiedrauer
Staff
I'm picking us to win but I'll be shocked 0% if we don't. I wouldn't consider it a bad loss either.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
I guess I'm not clear on the matchups, but besides the very early game against USC which was close, I'm not seeing a super tough team by stats. They seem solid, but no Miss St. I will be a little surprised if we don't handle business. Not shocked, but a little surprised.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
I know this is a random question, but NDSU has a home and home contest against Missouri State this season. Have you ever heard of playing the same team twice in non-conference play in a month's time before? Just interesting.

MO State is a good team as well, but does it really count as two quality wins if you beat the same team twice? I'm sure it does, it just feels weird.
PurpleForever
One thing that I'm very happy with so far this season has been our free throw shooting. Its nice not having to worry about if we will make our free throws. Eventually that will be the difference in a game.
cboothe09
Lamar doing that with Coastal Carolina. I think their return trip is this week. Lamar won the first meeting 66-60 in Beaumont for the second game of the season...

Lamar currently thrashing UTEP...41-21 in the first half...
No-look
Hope we have a good student section for the game. Should be a better crowd overall.
SFASawmillGuy
I think this is a game we definitely should win. If it were in Fargo maybe I'd be a little less confident but I feel like this is a statement game for us.
Honestly I wish this game was hyped up enough that we could expect a capacity, or close to capacity crowd.
Maybe that's a pipe dream but I want to live in a world where SFA sells out more than 1 game a year.
nacluth
Yeah it would be great to have those crowds constantly. The only way we get them here is with the full machinery of the college and the city behind it. And then, it's almost only on weekends. A Tuesday night late game will never draw those crowds. Maybe if we make the Sweet 16, but even then, probably not.
MasterAxe
In understand your point, but, to me, if we want the team and program to continue an upwards trajectory, these are games we need to win.

This is a team with a very similar track record of success in a similar conference.

These are wins I think we need, good solid D-1 wins over good solid D-1 teams.

It's nice to beat up on lower-level D-1 and scrub teams, but that doesn't give any of the recognition we want.

Get this one and people will be like "OH, I see SFA scored a nice win."
nacluth
Game day people! Don't you just love basketball season?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Has anyone had a chance to see Ty at any recent practices? I wonder if he's anywhere near his old self at this point. If he can contribute some good minutes and even give us a few points and boards tonight that would be huge.
nacluth
Maybe Isaac can comment, but he tweeted yesterday that Keller said he was just questionable for tonight - which makes me think he won't play.
INiedrauer
Staff
I agree with you mostly, I just want to remind everyone that Thomas Walkup lost to a really really really bad Tulane as a senior after that SFA team went 10 minutes without a field goal. And nearly did the same to a bad App State team.

So while I 100% support the notion that this is a huge game for our program, it's really early and it won't make or break our season. Even if we win by 40, let's take it with a grain of salt.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PurpleOut
Staff
His mom indicated on the Facebook feed this weekend that they would try to get him a few minutes tonight to see how he does. I would assume it would depend on how the game goes.
INiedrauer
Staff
As of yesterday the doctor had not cleared him to play but a re-evaluation was planned. His status of "questionable" wasn't gamesmanship, I think they actually didn't know as of yesterday if he could go. If he does, though, don't expect a lot of minutes.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
Here's what ESPN's computer thinks:
cboothe09
Can't argue with technology
jboy93
What has been the difference for TJ this year and staying out of foul trouble? Is it just growing into an all around player? If this continues he has a chance of being one of SFA's all-time best! Can play down low and then go outside with a nice jumper! I really like his game. I went to one of the blow out wins and it really looked like he is becoming a leader as well. Good to see!
fortWorthJack
TJ Holyfield is one of the most fundamentally sound players we have. He struggled with his footwork at first but has really turned that around. He also really moves really well for his size and he has greatly improved his ball handling.
nacluth
You nailed it jboy. Fouls were his Achilles heel last year like Canete. Now that he seemingly has cleaned that up, his overall play - particularly his defense - is now shining. Better at blocks and charges. Of course having other inside playmakers is keeping everyone from doubling him this year.
CLHawkins
TJ Holyfield Statistical Rankings in the Southland according to ESPN

Scoring: 3rd
Rebounds: 4th
Field Goal %: 3rd
FT %: 4th
3-Point %: 8th
Steals: 3rd
Blocks: 7th
SFA Jack Fanatic
CLHawkins said:

TJ Holyfield Statistical Rankings in the Southland according to ESPN

Scoring: 3rd
Rebounds: 4th
Field Goal %: 3rd
FT %: 4th
3-Point %: 8th
Steals: 3rd
Blocks: 7th
3rd in steals. Whoda thunk it??
Jon
Ty is looking good in pregame warm-ups. Seems to be taking it somewhat easy, but he kind of has that demeanor about him anyway.
nacluth
Ty's in!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.