Needs for Next Year

36,215 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nacluth
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Someone's pretty high on Cameron Mack! His portfolio is pretty strong but I doubt he has the kind of impact some have envisioned in his freshman year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The way I see it, it will be between Mack and Augustin for the starting PG position. The only other possibility is Canete, but PG is not his natural position. And I don't think that Bogues has PG ball-handling skills. He's more of a shooting guard, as is Canete.

Given Augustin's shooting woes this season, I'd say that there's a 90% chance that Mack will be the starter, unless a very good JUCO PG comes along between now and then, and there are not many of them still available at this point.

We have to get some scoring out of the PG position. Just look at what Fox is doing at Kentucky -- spreading the ball around and scoring, too. I think Mack will be able to do that for us.
INiedrauer
Staff
Augustin won't start. Mack will be starting by league season. Still going to put money on someone else coming in to provide some stop-gap help.

Remember Trey couldn't shoot. It will be nice to have a #1 who is a scoring threat though.
sfa17
Plus Augustine shot like 40 percent from free throw.
SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

Augustin won't start. Mack will be starting by league season. Still going to put money on someone else coming in to provide some stop-gap help.

Remember Trey couldn't shoot. It will be nice to have a #1 who is a scoring threat though.
Trey didn't have to shoot. He had a supporting cast of shooters...
INiedrauer
Staff
You're not wrong..
MasterAxe
And...UNO had a player choke another player.

You stay classy Southland Conference.
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

And...UNO had a player choke another player.

You stay classy Southland Conference.
I didn't get a chance to watch. Was he successful??
MasterAxe
He was successful.

Choked his own teammate. Sat bench rest of game
INiedrauer
Staff
Probably cost them the game. Embarrassing.
nacluth
Not NCAA material

Choke job
PurpleOut
Staff
Cam will have to come in and compete, obviously, but he has everything we need in a starting PG. He's extremely quick and good with the ball.
sfa17
Sfa basketball practicing at the Kennel (Gonzaga). A great example of what we hope to become eventually

No-look
A point guard that can create, shoot and make other players successful will open up everyone's game. Can't wait till next season!
RichieVan
First post, so bear with me. I'm in NJ and try to watch or listen to every game. When I watch the Jacks, I see a ton of talent with no cohesion. Plus, we have no shooters. When our opponents can play just about every screen on the downside, it's hard for our slashers to create chances. One only has to look at the year over year comparison to see where need to improve, and the answer is "just about everywhere." We can't shoot the three (we dropped from 38.3% in 2015-16 to 31.9% 2016-17), committed 5.5 more turnovers per game, shot 3% worse overall from last year, put less defensive pressure (2.7 less steals per game) and the biggest stat is we didn't share the ball (more than 3.5 assists less per game). What that adds up to is we didn't value possessions nearly enough, couldn't put the ball in the hoop when we actually were able to execute, our opponents didn't have to respect the outside shot and played better defense against us. On defense, we didn't create extra possessions for our offense, which is the main reason we were a legit tournament team in 2016. In today's NCAA, you need two legit outside shooters who can shoot between 35-40% from three to stretch defenses. Once you have that, athletes can attack the hoop and create. We also need a different defensive philosophy. We didn't play nearly enough in the passing lanes and execute top side ball pressure. Under Underwood, it used to drive me nuts when our opponents would get easy backside hoops, but that was a trade-in for the turnovers we were creating. And it worked. We do have talent on this team, more than an Southland team, but when Keller said during the middle of the season that the team needs to play for each other, he was right. They still need to learn that. But the bottom line in basketball is putting the ball in the hoop more than the other team, and our shooting is not good and needs to improve.
INiedrauer
Staff
RichieVan said:

First post, so bear with me. I'm in NJ and try to watch or listen to every game. When I watch the Jacks, I see a ton of talent with no cohesion. Plus, we have no shooters. When our opponents can play just about every screen on the downside, it's hard for our slashers to create chances. One only has to look at the year over year comparison to see where need to improve, and the answer is "just about everywhere." We can't shoot the three (we dropped from 38.3% in 2015-16 to 31.9% 2016-17), committed 5.5 more turnovers per game, shot 3% worse overall from last year, put less defensive pressure (2.7 less steals per game) and the biggest stat is we didn't share the ball (more than 3.5 assists less per game). What that adds up to is we didn't value possessions nearly enough, couldn't put the ball in the hoop when we actually were able to execute, our opponents didn't have to respect the outside shot and played better defense against us. On defense, we didn't create extra possessions for our offense, which is the main reason we were a legit tournament team in 2016. In today's NCAA, you need two legit outside shooters who can shoot between 35-40% from three to stretch defenses. Once you have that, athletes can attack the hoop and create. We also need a different defensive philosophy. We didn't play nearly enough in the passing lanes and execute top side ball pressure. Under Underwood, it used to drive me nuts when our opponents would get easy backside hoops, but that was a trade-in for the turnovers we were creating. And it worked. We do have talent on this team, more than an Southland team, but when Keller said during the middle of the season that the team needs to play for each other, he was right. They still need to learn that. But the bottom line in basketball is putting the ball in the hoop more than the other team, and our shooting is not good and needs to improve.
I don't think you're wrong, but a lot of what you're saying is personnel limitations. SFA early in the season played a lot of lane, jumping, inside cheating defense. The idea was to force the ball outside or to the baseline. When UAB shot that ridiculous percentage (all layups) they changed some of what they did defensively and it mostly worked. We were a good defensive team all season.

That in mind, as Keller says, the best defense is a good offense. When you're constantly defending a rebound (and not an in-bounds pass from the baseline after a score), it's a lot harder to setup your defense. You're right - we couldn't shoot.

One encouraging note though. Go back and look at Jared Johnson and Meech Floyd's numbers from their junior years. Ivan Canete honestly played better than both of them overall - slightly worse on three point percentage but not by much, and mostly all because of his slump at the end of the year. And we saw what they became as seniors. Obviously that team had Jacob Parker knocking down threes at some ridiculous rate and we lacked that this year, but there's good reason to believe that Canete will find his form again by next season.

Definitely adding scorers and a point guard will make a lot of the difference you're describing.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

INiedrauer
Staff
Also, welcome to the board!
RichieVan
Thanks! I agree with another post that we were spoiled. And bad losses to McNeese and Abilene Christian weren't helpful. Still a believer in Keller, but he's had his mulligan and with the Top of the Southland in decline next year due to graduation, success is pretty much teed up for him (had to use two golf references.) Axe 'em!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
RichieVan said:

Thanks! I agree with another post that we were spoiled. And bad losses to McNeese and Abilene Christian weren't helpful. Still a believer in Keller, but he's had his mulligan and with the Top of the Southland in decline next year due to graduation, success is pretty much teed up for him (had to use two golf references.) Axe 'em!!
Welcome to the forums, Richie. Great comments. Keep 'em, coming.
No-look
When will the new guys be able to come? First of summer?
cboothe09
Any chance Averette turns into a transfer PG for us now that BU left OSU?
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Any chance Averette turns into a transfer PG for us now that BU left OSU?
Don't hold your breath on that one.
ejasper12
We will get to the NCAA tournament easy..
We will mutilate the Southland....
No doubt about it...
Have faith!
Keller knows what he is doing..
He is bringing guys in to add to what we have..
Aggresive, strong, scorers, high IQ, passer, pg, scoring guard. big man and with the pieces we have??
They are hungry!
Support and faith from the fans!!
SFA is about to make an NCAA run!!! 2018..
ejasper12
Very high...I know him...Where he comes from, What he's gone through and sacrificed to get here...
Its a big reason for his success...
Yes...he loves being the underdog...
It fuels him and drives him to success!
Hes a natural PG, He was a quarterback..short stop on the baseball field, track star..
Born to lead, directs traffic, general on the court!
Oh yea, WE READY!
MaNilla4L
Curious to see what the reaction is, is there any chance Gru turns into a viable big for this team before he runs out of eligibility? He looks decently athletic for his size, but cant seem to earn any playing time. I know his problems last year seemed to be defensive consistency, have we seen any growth? SFA hasn't had many players his size come through the program, and you would think his growing pains would be better masked here in the southland than in a power conference, i want to see him take over some games on the boards and in the paint against a conference that doesnt have many true bigs to match his size. Maybe Ibarra from HBU, but thats really it.
INiedrauer
Staff
I think I said this on another thread somewhere, but I'm quite confident Jovan isn't going anywhere. I'll be shocked if he's a transfer or cut. The hope is that he can show some real progress because a lot of people in the program are convinced he has the physical tools to be a very good player.

I think there is a better than decent chance he is given a redshirt this year and resumes playing in 2018-19 with two years left.
sfa17
I think he has improve but were he started off was so bad that a little improvement isn't enough. I think defensive he isn't awful. Offensively he offers nothing. he only received the ball from the our player when he come out to the 3 point line and then redistributes left or right. Same play almost every time. He Never gets the ball while he is on the inside bc he struggles.

Like someone on here said he had offers from p5 schools , if he was a finished product he would have opted to go to a p5 school.
No-look
Hopefully really good guard play will open up the inside.
sfa17
this is what a idaho fan told me online recently

"You guys came up and played Idaho in the CIT this year. I can honestly say that you guys played probably the hardest defense Idaho played against all year. It just seemed that you guys were missing some players that could put the ball in the hoop consistently.

With a few solid players in your recruiting class to round out what you guys had going for you this year, I am optimistic for you guys too."
Spherictrey
This team needs a player that will attack the basket and finish. Ty was the only consistent player who would attack and finish and he wasn't healthy. Need a powerful big who will attack.
INiedrauer
Staff
sfa17 said:

this is what a idaho fan told me online recently

"You guys came up and played Idaho in the CIT this year. I can honestly say that you guys played probably the hardest defense Idaho played against all year. It just seemed that you guys were missing some players that could put the ball in the hoop consistently.

With a few solid players in your recruiting class to round out what you guys had going for you this year, I am optimistic for you guys too."
Ironic because I didn't think SFA played particularly well for them on defense that night.
sfa17
Yeah. I agree but I'll take the compliment. The were some stretches that neither team was scoring but we just couldn't capitalize on it. We finished 16 th in the country in forced turnover so some of it has to be true. ( but Sam cc uno was higher then us)
sfa17

http://collegehoopswatch.com/2017/05/11/marching-to-madness-episode-113-kyle-keller/

Topics of discussion include: the tremendous coaches that Keller has worked with during his career, takeaways from his first season with the Lumberjacks, the depth of next season's roster, scheduling power conference teams as a successful mid-major program, the transfer situation in college basketball, how the Southland Conference has evolved, and so much more.

Keller: we can get back to 25 -28 wins , we have 3 or 4 Bcs school on our schedule
No-look
Enjoyed listening in. Gonna be a long wait. Lol
nacluth
No-look said:

Enjoyed listening in. Gonna be a long wait. Lol

Yep. Me too. Only 5 more months...
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.