Needs for Next Year

36,004 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nacluth
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After the men lost the other day, a friend texted me, "What can we do to get better?"

The $1,000,000 question.

I said "I don't know," but then I put some thought into it and came up with a few things. After I was done I realized, "Man, we are close, just a few things and we are right back at the top."

1.) Player development
- Leon and Kevon.
I honestly expected almost nothing from them at the beginning. You could make a strong case they showed the most improvement over the year. More development from them only means bigger and better things.
- TJ and Ivan
Honestly, in TJ's case, I didn't see the step up in his game I thought we wood. Still very good, but not the dominating force many of us thought. Ivan was such a confounding player. Felt like he actually regressed through the year. These two get straightened out and LOOK OUT!

2.) Health
- Not much expansion needed. The TY and SAMMI injuries just put that kink in the offense that we seemed to never quite figure out.

3.) Coaching development
- If we are going to expect our players to develop, then it is fair to expect the same from the coaches. I was a hard as anyone on Keller, but i have softened my stance, given time to understand the circumstances of what he came into. But, I think he can use a lot of work on the in game coaching. There seemed to me to be too many times he was not quite sure what to do/what adjustments to make. The excuse of "it's is first job and he has so many young players," was viable this year. Not next year. His development could be a crucial as anything.

4.) On-Court Execution
-
I mean this in a general sense. It means a lot of things. Like, boy, we need some outside shooting in the worst way. It means we sure could use some stability at ball handling, cause we sure do like to give it to the other team. It means making smart choices. No more fouls 60 feet from the basket. No more force-feeding the triple teamed player in the post. Crap like that.

5.) Don't stop the effort
- One thing I noticed in every game...man we play hard. Not always smart, not always efficient, not always good, but lord. we play hard. The intensity we bring to the game is worth a a game or two over the year, just because some teams are not mentally ready to handle it for 40 minutes.

Probably seems like more than it really is. But, again, we are not that far away.

Nicholls, McNeese, ACU. SELA, SAM lol...they are much further away.

And they live in crappier cities, YAY NAC!

We'll be back.
sfa17
Next year Has to be a good year bc ty Leon Ivan traylor huntley are all graduating. So we need to get something done.

Im a little conflicted about playing a tough schedule. I want to play good teams but man I don't want to have 7 loses before conference play. I know scheduling is tough.
We actually got all the pieces we needed. We need a point guard (Mack) who can create plays and score. We have shooter (Shannon) and a possible a decent big off the bench (Stefan)

I think we also need traylor or Ivan to step up and make some 3s consistently similar to meechi or Johnson. I think we needed a reality check this season. Nothing should be handed to us bc of our name, it needs to be learned. I personally became a little bit entitled to win

sfa17
Also agree with everything u said
BigJack85
I think most of what has been said is spot on. I see the same difficiencies but will describe it differently.

If you use our 18 wins as a baseline (because we are only losing one key player). I think we could lump improvement into three categories.

1) In game adjustments (coaching). I think that is worth 2 more wins.

2) Familiarity with Keller's system. That should be worth 2 more wins.

3) Ball handling and turnovers. At least 2 wins more.......

I would like to say that 23 or so wins before the conference tournament is the basement. We should have 2 - 3 games of upside on that. I'm not saying that if we don't finish the regular season 25-5 it's a bust but..... That in my opinion is a reasonable expectation. Also, we don't need to schedule Arkansas, Kentucky, UAB and three more really difficult games right off the bat. I'd like to see us start with a cupcake or two and work our way into the meat of the schedule. Team confidence cannot be underestimated.
PurpleOut
Staff
My main issue, as stated before, was overall player/team IQ. Or as you said, "making smart choices."

Turning the ball over and fouls lead to less possessions and directly to points for the opponent. That's very simple but at the same time very difficult, because if we don't have those players or that capability then it's hard to improve. Our ball movement and other aspects improved fairly well, but there was always that sense of being out of control somewhat. Probably no stat recorded, but I bet we lead the conference in moving screens.

Some tweaks can be made to the offensive philosophy, and overall tactical decisions can be improved. That can easily get better with experience (both coaches and players). Everyone has to trust each other and I think that took a lot of time this year.

Super excited about the guys coming in. If Mack is as good as we think, then have a PG that can continuously get to the basket can and will be a game changer. You'll see an improved game from TJ if so. As Issac mentioned the other day, and again with all due respect to Cameron...he wasn't a PG.

I'm not a coach, and all is my opinion. But when all is said and done, we have a LOT to be excited for next season.

PurpleOut
Staff
Notes on what other teams lose/return:

UNO: Lose 4 of top 5 scorers (Thomas, Gill, Frye, Broyles). Thibodeaux is a solid returning player, but nothing that scares me.
Corpus: Lose Thomas, Martinez and Kocher. Return Amin, Kilgore and South. Decent team returning, but Thomas is obviously irreplaceable. And Martinez was just as big for them in the tourney.
HBU: Lose 4 of top 6 scorers (Lasher, Chukwujekwu, Russell, Fountain). Ibarra is a big return for them, but that's it.
Sam: Lose 5 of top 7 scorers (Henderson, Majauskas, Baxter, Butler, Spivey). Galbreath and Dewey are good returners, but that's a lot to lose.
Lamar: Return almost everyone. Top scorer leaving is Lincoln Davis (5.3 ppg).

Can do the rest later (or someone else can), but that's who finished around us. Long story short, everyone lost their best player. Other than Lamar, who is really the only one that returns a decent team.
BigJack85
We look to be primed for a good SLC season if we get some solid guard play. Leon and TJ could as dominant of a 3-4/4-5 combo that we seen in the SLC in a while. If we get some confidence and build a team personality it could be great.
nacluth
What's our starting 5 next year?

1) Mack
2) Charles
3) Gilmore
4) Holyfield
5) Nieminen

Just can't justify Canete being a starter. Who do you got? I would like to see Bogues before he gets the nod.
aquavelvis
Like it or not, nothing gets the attention of high schoolers looking for a university like athletic success, and in the case of schools like SFA, success in D1 basketball gets much more bang for the buck ("March madness, baby!") than even a championship FCS football team gets on ESPN2 sometime in January opposite FBS bowl games. Not even close. Look at Villanova...great football team several years ago but the Sports Nation as a whole doesn't even remember it without being reminded, while their BB team gets tons of attention and air time.

In the case of what SFA did over the last two BB coaches' tenures, and the recognition won as a result, we need build on that, and calculating what we have to do to keep a leg up on the rest of the Southland Conference is not aiming high enough. Sure, you gotta start somewhere and you're not dancing in March or even in the NIT if you don't get past the conference...but you get my drift.

Those with influence over how this team will be coached and administered in the coming years need to aim at going deep in March, not just beat out the rest of the lousy, worst b-ball-league-in-the-country SLC. We shouldn't make beating those losers our goal and benchmark. UNO v A&MCC Saturday night was 100% ugly and unwatchable yet they both beat our mediocre SFA like a drum this year when the chips were down.

If the rest of the league can step up its game so that beating them means something, great! It would be better for all involved. But right now the others don't seem anywhere close to consistent quality...even their near-term prospects don't look good based on graduation. They certainly haven't ponied up $$ like we have for facility improvements.

Expect to win the SLC season and tournament. Build, recruit, and coach to win beyond that.

Sorry for the topic drift and rant. It's late and I'm tired and grouchy, I've been spoiled and it makes an off-year like this hard to take.
aquavelvis
Replying to myself...thanks Capt Obvious!
sfa17
nacluth said:

1) Mack
2) Charles
3) Gilmore
4) Holyfield
5) Nieminen

Just can't justify Canete being a starter. Who do you got? I would like to see Bogues before he gets the nod.
I see bogues in starting or canete (even though i dont think he should.) We cant play 3 PF (gilmore, holyfied and Nieminen). That would be an outside shooting nightmare
1)Mack
2)charles
3) Bogues
4)Gilmore
5)Holyfield

Off the bench
6) Canete
Nieminen
Kevon
Traylor
Augustine
Edit : forgot Bains, Man we are going to be deep

INiedrauer
Staff
nacluth said:

1) Mack
2) Charles
3) Gilmore
4) Holyfield
5) Nieminen

I doubt we go that big.

1) JUCO PG to be named - just a guess. Would be surprised to see the staff put that much pressure on a freshman before Christmas at least. I think they threw a little too much at Augustin too early and they won't make that mistake twice.
2) Canete/Bogues
3) Charles
4) Gilmore
5) Holyfield

I'm not sure it matters a whole lot though. Nieminen, Harris and Mack will see plenty of minutes. Could see Augustin getting 10ish minutes/game too. Should be niiiice and deep. And this team isn't fully assembled yet. We don't know who will be added by November. I hear they're not done yet on that front. Look for them to possibly redshirt someone (Jovan) too.
nacluth
Yeah I didn't mean to go that big, but for sure Charles, Holyfield, and Gilmore are starting. Mack or some other PG. I like Augustin too, but I just don't see him starting. I think Nieminen is going to be our best big. I know he's not a true center, but I think with Holyfield and Gilmore's quickness a big lineup for us can be dangerous- especially if you have Kevon in there. Both Leon and Kevon are quick. I would like to see them play in tandem more. The truth is our bigs are only going to be as good as our outside shooting backup, so I hope we get a true threat.
nacluth
Also, who are we losing? For sure Cameron. Are either Winchester or Stewart staying? Are both Huntley and Jovan making it? Surely not. We've got three for sure adds. How many can we carry without scholarships?
sfa17
idk how keller is but Underwood never kept a walk-on past one season.
INiedrauer
Staff
They did carry an open scholarship all year. Obviously Dallas graduating frees another. We'll see a couple transfer for playing time. Maybe more than one. I do know it probably won't be Bain and I'll be shocked if it's Grujic.

I do know they are still actively recruiting for this coming season though and a veteran PG has been identified as one of the needs.
ejasper12
Cam Mack can handle his own, the position of PG...
He held his own against and was compared and ranked with the best of the best in the nation.
Age has nothing to do with it.
IQ and skill level does. PG's are born..Its an innate position with vision and natural instinct..
Turnovers, rebounds, no scorers, low IQ killed us this year..you need a backcourt and some pounding in the paint..
Add a 3 point in the clutch shooter!
Cams hungry and the Southland he will dismantle, its easy as 1, 2, 3..
Cam is a winner, fighter!
Cam is the best recruit PG SFA has ever recruited..
This will be the BEST most productive year you guys will witness in a long time...
SFA Jack Fanatic
I've been disappointed by Augustin's play. He came here with a lot of hype, but he simply can't shoot the ball. And, as a point guard, he dribbled a lot outside without creating much of anything. He may bloom after a year in the offseason, but I'm not holding my breath on that to happen, at least not for next season.

And remember that Kevon came along to check out SFA during their recruiting visit (I think) at the prompting of his Georgia friend Aaron. Kevon turned out to be the team's surprise of the year, in my opinion. He has a very bright future. So I guess you could say that recruiting Augustin was a positive in that regard.

Mack
Holyfield
Gilmore
Charles
Harris/Bogues
ejasper12
A veteran PG means nothing if they arent good.
Great Pgs are natural born leaders with natural born instincts.
Vision, passing ability, the ability to get everyone involved.
IQ is high for the game...
Age means nothing...
SFA Jack Fanatic
ejasper12 said:

Cam Mack can handle his own, the position of PG...
He held his own against and was compared and ranked with the best of the best in the nation.
Age has nothing to do with it.
IQ and skill level does. PG's are born..Its an innate position with vision and natural instinct..
Turnovers, rebounds, no scorers, low IQ killed us this year..you need a backcourt and some pounding in the paint..
Add a 3 point in the clutch shooter!
Cams hungry and the Southland he will dismantle, its easy as 1, 2, 3..
Cam is a winner, fighter!
Cam is the best recruit PG SFA has ever recruited..
This will be the BEST most productive year you guys will witness in a long time...
I agree with all but one thing you said. James Silas was the best PG ever recruited by SFA. NBA All-Star several years with the Spurs. But most people posting here never saw him play. I did. He was fabulous.

BTW, I love your attitude! It's contagious. Axe 'em!
ejasper12
Cam is the threat..
He has played all over the nation, playing against the best and beating the best.
The most experienced PG and highest ranked PG SFA has ever had.
He didnt attend SFA 2 come off the bench...
That's not an option.
Cam is known nationally, Under Armour & etc..
INiedrauer
Staff
ejasper12 said:

Cam is the threat..
He has played all over the nation, playing against the best and beating the best.
The most experienced PG and highest ranked PG SFA has ever had.
He didnt attend SFA 2 come off the bench...
That's not an option.
Cam is known nationally, Under Armour & etc..
No doubt. I'm definitely not questioning his status as an elite recruit and basketball player. He's going to be a special dude for SFA.
Txjack
Quote:

4.) On-Court Execution
-
I mean this in a general sense. It means a lot of things. Like, boy, we need some outside shooting in the worst way. It means we sure could use some stability at ball handling, cause we sure do like to give it to the other team. It means making smart choices. No more fouls 60 feet from the basket. No more force-feeding the triple teamed player in the post. Crap like that.

5.) Don't stop the effort
- One thing I noticed in every game...man we play hard. Not always smart, not always efficient, not always good, but lord. we play hard. The intensity we bring to the game is worth a a game or two over the year, just because some teams are not mentally ready to handle it for 40 minutes.
Spot on...esp. our lack of outside shooting...
I've said it before, but I was proud of the way these guys conducted themselves, they did play hard...they did that with BU; looks like they are doing it with KK (effort).
Txjack
aquavelvis said:

Like it or not, nothing gets the attention of high schoolers looking for a university like athletic success, and in the case of schools like SFA, success in D1 basketball gets much more bang for the buck ("March madness, baby!") than even a championship FCS football team gets on ESPN2 sometime in January opposite FBS bowl games. Not even close. Look at Villanova...great football team several years ago but the Sports Nation as a whole doesn't even remember it without being reminded, while their BB team gets tons of attention and air time.

In the case of what SFA did over the last two BB coaches' tenures, and the recognition won as a result, we need build on that, and calculating what we have to do to keep a leg up on the rest of the Southland Conference is not aiming high enough. Sure, you gotta start somewhere and you're not dancing in March or even in the NIT if you don't get past the conference...but you get my drift.

Those with influence over how this team will be coached and administered in the coming years need to aim at going deep in March, not just beat out the rest of the lousy, worst b-ball-league-in-the-country SLC. We shouldn't make beating those losers our goal and benchmark. UNO v A&MCC Saturday night was 100% ugly and unwatchable yet they both beat our mediocre SFA like a drum this year when the chips were down.

If the rest of the league can step up its game so that beating them means something, great! It would be better for all involved. But right now the others don't seem anywhere close to consistent quality...even their near-term prospects don't look good based on graduation. They certainly haven't ponied up $$ like we have for facility improvements.

Expect to win the SLC season and tournament. Build, recruit, and coach to win beyond that.

Sorry for the topic drift and rant. It's late and I'm tired and grouchy, I've been spoiled and it makes an off-year like this hard to take.
We got crazy attention last year from the tourney. We took the kids to Disneyland shortly after the tournament was over; I was wearing my SFA garb I can't tell you how often people asked me about the Lumberjacks. There is no better way to bring exposure to your school than the tournament...it benefits athletes and the eggheads alike. Man, still can't believe the athletic fee referendum did not pass in November...!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Txjack said:

Man, still can't believe the athletic fee referendum did not pass in November...!
Still makes my blood boil. Don't get me started on that again....
SFA88
I was only 10 when he was drafted and I didn't watch much basketball at that time but I have definitely heard of Captain Late. He fed the Ice Man but could/would take over the end of a game.
Rhodesj3
Staff
I couldn't decide whether to post this or not but after hearing that idiot Lavar Ball ask for a billion dollar shoe deal and saying he can beat Jordan Im going to rant. Parents and family who ride their relatives coattails are never a good thing to have for a program. Look at the distraction Lavar has become for UCLA. Comments like "coming off the bench isn't an option" are an unacceptable attitude. I understand Keller is going to be nice and play this safe but I guarantee he and any other coach hate people like this. The man got to this point because he's one of the best in his profession so if he decides to bench this "prodigy" then he should be able to without an angry parent showing up to his office. Or worse yet the kid transferring because he's too good to sit.
Not saying Im not excited to see this kid play because he's extremely talented and will help us alot. I love his attitude of "I'm the best" when he's on the court but when you take that into your lockerroom it causes problems.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rhodesj3 said:

I couldn't decide whether to post this or not but after hearing that idiot Lavar Ball ask for a billion dollar shoe deal and saying he can beat Jordan Im going to rant. Parents and family who ride their relatives coattails are never a good thing to have for a program. Look at the distraction Lavar has become for UCLA. Comments like "coming off the bench isn't an option" are an unacceptable attitude. I understand Keller is going to be nice and play this safe but I guarantee he and any other coach hate people like this. The man got to this point because he's one of the best in his profession so if he decides to bench this "prodigy" then he should be able to without an angry parent showing up to his office. Or worse yet the kid transferring because he's too good to sit.
Not saying Im not excited to see this kid play because he's extremely talented and will help us alot. I love his attitude of "I'm the best" when he's on the court but when you take that into your lockerroom it causes problems.
Don't let mere words bother you, J3. There's nothing wrong with a family member voicing support for a player, as long as the coach and his staff always has the final say in all team matters. Heck, my son is in the Navy, and I think that he's the best damned sailor in the entire United State Navy! He can swab decks with the best of 'em!

We'll just have to see how it plays out next Fall. But right now my money is on Cameron Mack doing whatever it takes to help us re-ascend to the highest levels of NCAA roundball.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA88 said:

I was only 10 when he was drafted and I didn't watch much basketball at that time but I have definitely heard of Captain Late. He fed the Ice Man but could/would take over the end of a game.

We called Silas 'The Snake' when he was at SFA. He got that 'Captain Late' moniker with the Spurs from, as you say, owning games in crunch time.

But we digress........
Rhodesj3
Staff
Don't get me wrong Ed I'm as cocky and talk as much as anyone when I play sports. But I also understand my place on a team. If I was asked to sit the bench for one reason or another I would. My comment was mainly this "he's too good for something attitude" other players are going to resent him if he comes in with that. Cocky to your opponent is good. Cocky to your teammates is a divider. I just want whoever posted that to trust Keller and understand that he's going to do what's got to be done to win.
ejasper12
Cam is one of the most humble kids I know.
He took a not so good team to state and won..
He is a team player and loves to see EVERYONE succeed..
He came to SFA to win and help lead his team to the Ncaa and win.
Hes not coming off the bench BECAUSE he was brought to win championships..
Call it cocky or whatever.
Kd trsnsferred to Gokden State to win, Lebron went to Miami to win, Teams recruit certain elite players ti win...
Thats business....
Cam came to SFA to win....
Thats confidence, not cockiness...
ejasper12
We trust Keller, that's why we are here..
Comparing my post to Lavar Ball is a little over the top...
SFA Jack Fanatic
ejasper12 said:

We trust Keller, that's why we are here..

Bravo!
Rhodesj3
Staff
I understand the cockiness and I appreciate it actually. And Cam will help lead this team to winning seasons I'm sure. But if he comes in and coach Keller feels he needs to get adjusted to the college game and doesn't name him a starter right away then I hope Cam and you will accept that without making it a distraction.
Rhodesj3
Staff
Also no disrespect with the Lavar comment. Lavar is an idiot.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.