SFA / Utah Valley

7,865 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like there's a fight back in the tunnel. Not good.
nacluth
We may not be going to Vegas at this point.
No-look
Did one of their assistants throw a punch after the shove?
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Armbrester shoved their guy. Looks like he premeditated the push. That was not good.

That's what I was worried about, frustration coming out.
Jacks1989
SMH. What is going on with the Jacks? Now we r fighting.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Armbrester shoved their guy. Looks like he premeditated the push. That was not good.
I watched it again Ceaser for UVU stopped and waited for Robbie and said something to him. Robbie was fine shaking everyone's hand...but he's not the guy you talk to at that moment.
nacluth
Yeah it's hard to tell but no way this is ending well.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

We may not be going to Vegas at this point.

Then UVU shouldn't either
nacluth
44 point loss is our worst D1 conference loss ever. Our other 40 point loss was in a 2-25 season right after we came to the Southland.
TallTexan
Hope no one got hurt in the tunnel.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

44 point loss is our worst D1 conference loss ever. Our other 40 point loss was in a 2-25 season right after we came to the Southland.

Yuck. Yuck.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
BigJack85
Honestly didn't see a collapse this bad. Wow. That hurts. Shows me how close we are to being picked apart.

Missing Nana and Hall really hurts.
No-look
The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. It will get better
Ljacks&Longnecks
Didnt see the end but was worried if we would keep our cool after that beating. Chances in Vegas are already just above nil but if we lose anyone else due to suspension we may not even field a team.
All around disaster tonight.
No-look
BigJack85 said:

Honestly didn't see a collapse this bad. Wow. That hurts. Shows me how close we are to being picked apart.

. They killed us inside and shot really well from out. Everything was falling for them. Severe matchup problems tonight
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I was figuring atleast 20. No big with any production and a long trip made this within the realm of possibilities.
MasterAxe
We are going to have to really attack the transfer portal for some bigs.

Maybe Underwood can hook us up with a disgruntled Illinois big man.
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

Nana will return. Beaubrun? Will Southwick add something?
No-look
BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Nana will return. Beaubrun? Will Southwick add something?
Southwick didn't play last part of the season. Not sure why
Ljacks&Longnecks
I hope Nana returns. Concerning that he is still in hospital (far as we know) and if his back injury is severe enough his return could be questionable.
Then there is Southwick that hasn't played in a month and doesn't seem to be a way to get info on him.
We are not in the best of times right this moment.
Keller and staff more than have their work cut out for them.
SFASawmillGuy
Basketball has unfortunately seen what football has dealt with several times over the past decade and a half. It's very hard to stay competitive with so many key injuries.

The transfer portal for some bigs will be huge, but we need a team that a stay and grow together. Chemistry has been something really lacking from SFA basketball for a little bit now. Underwood's entire roster other than Holyfield pretty much played together at SFA for most of their entire career.

The magical season tragically cut short by Covid was the closest thing we've seen since. The consistency has been hard to find. Is that in Keller? I don't think so, he's been bringing in probably better raw talent than SFA has ever seen and he is a phenomenal basketball coach. But partially due to bad luck health or lack of commitment to the program is causing us to lack that cohesion and toughness.

Now the WAC is a much, much stronger basketball league than the Southland, but even then we need to have that consistency to keep us alive so we can find ourselves back in the dance.

Now that I've said all that, SFA is going to sweep the WAC tournament and end up in the sweet 16 because AXE'EM.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76
I'm surprised at the pass that Keller is getting by this board. He's the guy. Win or lose it is on him. That's the way leadership works. In my 40+ year career, my manufacturing "teams" had wins and loses. We had injuries. I made sure we learned from each and every one. I took the loses. I gave credit to the team for the wins.

One of our meaningful injuries this season, Nana, happened in a game. The rest were in practice. As I and others have said, the first thing I do when the guys come out of the tunnel pre-game is to count heads. Why is this happening?

Recruiting, and development, is on him. As I have shared multiple times, "I've never lost a player I didn't want to lose. Except Holyfield." Apparently nobody could come up with one quality, successful big, other than Kensmil, that was on the team all of his eligibility, that he recruited.

If Keller is a phenomenal coach, why are other programs not after him? Can somebody point me to a job opening that any pundit has him on the potential list of candidates? I used to see him on those lists. I want to see him viewed that way again. I want us to have coaches that are promotable and are pursued.

I desperately want Kyle to be successful. I was glad when he got the contract extension, and told him so. He has always been cordial and respectful to us. Keller got a raise. The salary pool for assistants was increased. The basketball budget has been increased by roughly 30% from pre-pandemic levels. We have a $29 million dollar capital investment in basketball. Half belongs to the men. What resources are needed that don't exist?

Recruiting this year needs to be a home run. The pieces need to fit. Development needs to happen.
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

I'm surprised at the pass that Keller is getting by this board. He's the guy. Win or lose it is on him. That's the way leadership works. In my 40+ year career, my manufacturing "teams" had wins and loses. We had injuries. I made sure we learned from each and every one. I took the loses. I gave credit to the team for the wins.

One of our meaningful injuries this season, Nana, happened in a game. The rest were in practice. As I and others have said, the first thing I do when the guys come out of the tunnel pre-game is to count heads. Why is this happening?

Recruiting, and development, is on him. As I have shared multiple times, "I've never lost a player I didn't want to lose. Except Holyfield." Apparently nobody could come up with one quality, successful big, other than Kensmil, that was on the team all of his eligibility, that he recruited.

If Keller is a phenomenal coach, why are other programs not after him? Can somebody point me to a job opening that any pundit has him on the potential list of candidates? I used to see him on those lists. I want to see him viewed that way again. I want us to have coaches that are promotable and are pursued.

I desperately want Kyle to be successful. I was glad when he got the contract extension, and told him so. He has always been cordial and respectful to us. Keller got a raise. The salary pool for assistants was increased. The basketball budget has been increased by roughly 30% from pre-pandemic levels. We have a $29 million dollar capital investment in basketball. Half belongs to the men. What resources are needed that don't exist?

Recruiting this year needs to be a home run. The pieces need to fit. Development needs to happen.

No lies detected.

I think next year he's going to have some real pressure to produce in the postseason.

Transfer portal is going to be huge.
sfajack05
Something needs to change but I'm not sure what. Losing players to injury always sucks but losing players who decide to quit at the beginning and middle of the season is alarming.

Jacks1989
Agree something needs to change. One of the main players leaving one week before the season ends, just really not sure what's up with that. What's going on? My main concern are the injuries. What's going on in the summer offseason and practices? Are the practices that physical? I have no idea. Just asking.
nacluth
Well I guess I've been saving my comments for after the season, but I guess we're essentially there.

The knock on Keller his entire tenure is leadership. Can he hold onto his locker room and keep players? There is only one player that he brought in that stayed four years and that is Kevon. This is the end of year seven and the only players that graduate from SFA are transfer students. I've said this since year three when we had to reload our whole team. It has not gotten better. This year bringing back Hawkins, Roti, Nana, Jossell, Hall, and Posey was the most experienced class he returned for a second year in a row.

To give Keller credit, he's on a bizarre every other year cycle. Year 1: blah, 2: NCAA, 3: trainwreck, 4: Duke/Champs, 5: lackluster, 6: WAC Champs, 7: missed dreams. We're due a great year next year. Can he do it?

Ultimately the transfer portal is a problem that I've decried for years. Its only purpose is for the rich to get richer. It does NOT have the benefit of kids in mind. However saying that, it has not been a problem for the Jacks in basketball. Injuries and attitude have been our issues. I lay all that at Keller's feet. It has to get better and I think Ivey will start demanding more.

I have always thought that coach is a good basketball mind. I've never thought he's a great people person. He needs good assistants to help bridge that gap. He had it with Mason and Cox. No one talks about our current assistants in any way positive or negative. I don't know if he has the right help.

We've got Keller another year unless more happened last night than I've seen. I'll support him and his team, but everyone knows that his time to show more than the Duke game (which there should be a statue of) is running out.
MasterAxe
Curious: with us being with UT now, do we have to get their BOR sign off before letting a coach go…especially if it involves a buyout?

I think Keller gets another year, for sure, just curious the process.
purpleballs
SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Yes, JJP could have been a huge help last night, if he was around.

Personally I don't bring him up because most of us here don't know the reason/cause of his departure. Did he break team rules ? Did he and Keller tangle? Was there an amicable split? As there are likely negative reasons behind his leaving, I just think of him as gone. Different than losing someone to injury.

He did not leave because he broke team rules. That, I am certain of.
. It's just hard for me to understand why a player would bail at the end of the season

He didn't "bail."

He didn't leave because he broke team rules and he didn't "bail". Is there a reason you won't share why he isn't with the team?
SFA Jack Fanatic
purpleballs said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Yes, JJP could have been a huge help last night, if he was around.

Personally I don't bring him up because most of us here don't know the reason/cause of his departure. Did he break team rules ? Did he and Keller tangle? Was there an amicable split? As there are likely negative reasons behind his leaving, I just think of him as gone. Different than losing someone to injury.

He did not leave because he broke team rules. That, I am certain of.
. It's just hard for me to understand why a player would bail at the end of the season

He didn't "bail."

He didn't leave because he broke team rules and he didn't "bail". Is there a reason you won't share why he isn't with the team?

Good question. I've wondered the same thing. Unless it's a medical HIPPA privacy issue, there is no reason to be secretive about it. And if it's a HIPPA issue, how does 76 know?
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

Agree something needs to change. One of the main players leaving one week before the season ends, just really not sure what's up with that. What's going on? My main concern are the injuries. What's going on in the summer offseason and practices? Are the practices that physical? I have no idea. Just asking.

This is a key point. What are we doing, that EVERY YEAR we have a rash of injuries.

I am a big supporter of Keller and think he's the right guy. He's got to make some adjustments. He will. I'm certain.

I recall in the 90's we got rid of a great football coach. John Pearce. It took us till Carthel to really put the program back. Be careful what you wish for if you think Keller is the issue.
nacluth
I think you're right. I think Keller has had success and will have more. Carthel on the other hand is still looking for success. I'll grant that football is a bigger transformation project than a basketball squad. But we're still waiting on his results.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I think you're right. I think Keller has had success and will have more. Carthel on the other hand is still looking for success. I'll grant that football is a bigger transformation project than a basketball squad. But we're still waiting on his results.

I've been through a few SFA coaching changes. Keller is a winner. I hope we stick with him. Seems like a colossal gamble , to pitch out a coach that has almost 70% winning percentage over a sh**** loss to UVU, when we had 2-3 of our top players out or limited.
MasterAxe
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

I've been through a few SFA coaching changes. Keller is a winner. I hope we stick with him. Seems like a colossal gamble , to pitch out a coach that has almost 70% winning percentage over a sh**** loss to UVU, when we had 2-3 of our top players out or limited.

He's certainly gonna get next year, but he's gonna need a good year with some legitimate post-season success.

Cause right now he's a coach with a lot of wins but nothing really to show for it, from a post-season perspective.
No-look
It's my nature to defend coaches and I think Keller is a good coach. The injury thing is an ongoing issue. Maybe there's some things that need to be looked at in that area. We were travel weary and severely shorthand's last night. And everything snowballed. We will get better

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.