New WRJ Configuration (Seating included)

10,737 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PurpleOut
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sent this to Ivey last week with an offer to donate $250 for a Mardi gras night. Haven't heard back yet.

If you guys have more theme ideas, I'll add them to my follow up.

Quote:

Here's what I worked up for potential ideas.

1. First Home game of the season.
Season Kickoff, doubleheader weekday game
Make it required attendance for SFA 101 Classes, if possible
Have a decently large prize for the largest organization there
Have "Yell" Practice with an Emcee during timeouts
Good chance to set the tone for the season, teach people some "fan etiquette" to create a rowdy environment, etc.

2. Polar Express Game
Have Santa attend(bonus, buy a purple & white Santa suit)
Rent one of those mall kid's trains to run around the concourse
Hot Chocolate in the concessions
Polar Express Theme, deck WRJ in lights, kick off Christmas Season
Dance teams can do a Polar Express themed performance
Half time caroling
Think this could be a huge draw for families with kids. We can sell SFA ornaments, Purple Santa hats, etc. A way to get lots of families out, but not make them sit still for 4 hours.

3. Rock The Johnson(unofficial working title):
This is the new Cram the Coliseum
Focus on getting it loud & rowdy
First Tailgate of the Spring(host in mid to late Jan)
This game needs to be must attend for all frats/sororities, even if we have to send AD to invite them personally
Great chance to reiterate traditions/cheers
Full Band Game?
The idea for this game would be more focused on creating a rowdy environment than simply packing the coliseum to the roof. Also would be a great chance to sell Spring mini-plans for basketball.

4. Mardi Gras Game
Lots & lots of beads
Invite Frats/Sororities/student organizations as Krewes
Mardi Gras Royall Court chosen from organizations
Concessions: King Cake, Beignets, Moon pies, etc
Postgame Jazz band concert
Family Friendly
Doesn't have to be the official weekend of Mardi Gras, but close. Basically, the Sororities/Frats would team up to enter their "couple" for the Royal Court, chosen by cheers of the fans during a TV timeout. You could have a packed house with student orgs & create a raucous atmosphere for this one. Could be a cool SFA tradition too that not many other places have. Also, SFA Band has a jazz band.

5. Senior Sendoff/Sam Game:
Close out home games for the year
Pack the house for our Seniors(they deserve it)
Maybe make it a throwback night

No-look
Looks good
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Sent this to Ivey last week with an offer to donate $250 for a Mardi gras night. Haven't heard back yet.

Quote:

Good ideas, Texan. I will either split the cost with you for the Mardi Gras night, add a similar amount to it, or donate toward another theme night.
PurpleOut
Staff
I actually had talked with him about two years ago about the Mardi Gras stuff and was ready to buy some of them. It was only around $200 for 1,000 beads (500 White/500 Purple) on Amazon. Should be pretty easy to do overall.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

Quote:

Here's what I worked up for potential ideas.

1. First Home game of the season.
Season Kickoff, doubleheader weekday game
Make it required attendance for SFA 101 Classes, if possible
Have a decently large prize for the largest organization there
Have "Yell" Practice with an Emcee during timeouts
Good chance to set the tone for the season, teach people some "fan etiquette" to create a rowdy environment, etc.

2. Polar Express Game
Have Santa attend(bonus, buy a purple & white Santa suit)
Rent one of those mall kid's trains to run around the concourse
Hot Chocolate in the concessions
Polar Express Theme, deck WRJ in lights, kick off Christmas Season
Dance teams can do a Polar Express themed performance
Half time caroling
Think this could be a huge draw for families with kids. We can sell SFA ornaments, Purple Santa hats, etc. A way to get lots of families out, but not make them sit still for 4 hours.

3. Rock The Johnson(unofficial working title):
This is the new Cram the Coliseum
Focus on getting it loud & rowdy
First Tailgate of the Spring(host in mid to late Jan)
This game needs to be must attend for all frats/sororities, even if we have to send AD to invite them personally
Great chance to reiterate traditions/cheers
Full Band Game?
The idea for this game would be more focused on creating a rowdy environment than simply packing the coliseum to the roof. Also would be a great chance to sell Spring mini-plans for basketball.

4. Mardi Gras Game
Lots & lots of beads
Invite Frats/Sororities/student organizations as Krewes
Mardi Gras Royall Court chosen from organizations
Concessions: King Cake, Beignets, Moon pies, etc
Postgame Jazz band concert
Family Friendly
Doesn't have to be the official weekend of Mardi Gras, but close. Basically, the Sororities/Frats would team up to enter their "couple" for the Royal Court, chosen by cheers of the fans during a TV timeout. You could have a packed house with student orgs & create a raucous atmosphere for this one. Could be a cool SFA tradition too that not many other places have. Also, SFA Band has a jazz band.

5. Senior Sendoff/Sam Game:
Close out home games for the year
Pack the house for our Seniors(they deserve it)
Maybe make it a throwback night

I used to be Activities Director for a huge high school (3000 students), and I gotta say you have some AWESOME ideas here! I'm really impressed. They should take these and run with them.
No-look
As mentioned before I think a high school night would be good. Maybe have a game for elementary or middle school. I remember seeing school buses bringing young kids to day games.
TallTexan
We should have a HS night, totally agree.

Heck, a high school or junior college ID should get you in for free to almost any basketball game.

Getting just 1 student out of it would pay back the university for sacrificing a thousand tickets.

Do a HS night and then give out free application codes. Win win.
PurpleOut
Staff
Reminder that the renewal process starts tomorrow.

I'll be renewing in 107 again, probably as low down as they'll let me. I moved from Row H to Row C last summer...but never got to sit there after COVID. So I may try for those seats again if anyone wants to join nearby.
Texasheli
Tee shirt idea :

Getting WACky
Rocking the Johnston

SFAJack_76
Which of these promotional ideas are you guys suggesting for WBB? Or, is it just MBB?
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Which of these promotional ideas are you guys suggesting for WBB? Or, is it just MBB?

All for both, depending on schedule. Non conference ones could work for the doubleheaders.

We're especially going to need to work to fill seats for the women's games this season since the double headers are gone.

Additionally, here's some women's specific themes that I can think of.

Girl Power Night. All about girls in Stem, women superheros, girl dad's, etc.

Tacky prom. Yes this could work for the guys games too but my wife always had a blast going to tacky prom events in college bc it's easier to pull off with funky styled dresses.

Susan G Komen night.

I'll also ask PilotGirl bc as the Ladyjacks number 1 fan, I'm sure she knows some ideas that can draw in crowds.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Reminder that the renewal process starts tomorrow.

I'll be renewing in 107 again, probably as low down as they'll let me. I moved from Row H to Row C last summer...but never got to sit there after COVID. So I may try for those seats again if anyone wants to join nearby.

Count me in. Gonna try to get as close in section 107 as I can.
sfajack05
TallTexan said:

We should have a HS night, totally agree.

Heck, a high school or junior college ID should get you in for free to almost any basketball game.

Getting just 1 student out of it would pay back the university for sacrificing a thousand tickets.

Do a HS night and then give out free application codes. Win win.
Why not do a JUCO showcase day and have a triple header of basketball and use it as recruitment tool as well (if it's legal). Get like Panola, Kilgore, Angelina, and TVCC and have them each play a game (I believe they are all in the same Juco conference) and then have SFA headline. Their college ID gets them in free. Invite all the students from those colleges there and have admissions at the WRJ or offer tours before the games as well.

This could work for either WBB or MBB.

Of course not sure if it would be legal to do something like that but just an idea.
TallTexan
I've thought that could work with HS's too.

No idea on the legality though.
PurpleOut
Staff
Season tickets are live, but don't see renewals yet.

But one thing that wasn't mentioned when the emails came out, is that we no longer have GA seats. Which I've wanted for a while. Pricing is still the same for those sections, but now they are reserved. I think this can/should help fans be closer to the court instead of just sitting wherever.

Also, right now it looks like there are court side seats on both sides of the court. Not sure if that's correct. But the new Loge Box seats are on sale at $800 per ticket, and Courtside at $1,300. They are all open for sale, so again I don't think that is accurate.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Season tickets are live, but don't see renewals yet.

But one thing that wasn't mentioned when the emails came out, is that we no longer have GA seats. Which I've wanted for a while. Pricing is still the same for those sections, but now they are reserved. I think this can/should help fans be closer to the court instead of just sitting wherever.

Also, right now it looks like there are court side seats on both sides of the court. Not sure if that's correct. But the new Loge Box seats are on sale at $800 per ticket, and Courtside at $1,300. They are all open for sale, so again I don't think that is accurate.

Dang we make more off those than I would have guessed.
PurpleOut
Staff
And I was right, those weren't supposed to be on there. They are off, but the Loge Box seats are still available. I don't think those are for me, but great for the casual fan with money or business that wants to bring a client.

Renewals should be pushed to our accounts later today.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

And I was right, those weren't supposed to be on there. They are off, but the Loge Box seats are still available. I don't think those are for me, but great for the casual fan with money or business that wants to bring a client.

Renewals should be pushed to our accounts later today.

I was just looking at volleyball and soccer 2. Some great WAC deals going on. I'll probably only make a few games but for that price? Probably gonna add 2 seats to the cart.
TallTexan
Basketball season tickets are online but I don't see any for section 107 right now.

Hmm.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah I think it's just that renewals haven't been pushed to our accounts yet.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Ahh gotcha ok. I was like I feel like I'm missing something here.

Also don't see a joint men's/women's season ticket yet.
PurpleOut
Staff
Seems like they're rolling stuff out today at different times.

PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Ahh gotcha ok. I was like I feel like I'm missing something here.

Also don't see a joint men's/women's season ticket yet.
When you click on an individual seat, it will give you the option for M&W combined.
TallTexan
Ok cool. I didn't get that far.
PurpleOut
Staff
Renewals are on there now. But, it doesn't say what seats I am renewing, or give me the option to move them. Guess I need to call them.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Renewals are on there now. But, it doesn't say what seats I am renewing, or give me the option to move them. Guess I need to call them.

Ticketing got back to me, they can renew now but you can't move seat locations until September 1.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Ticketing got back to me, they can renew now but you can't move seat locations until September 1.
Thanks, I haven't been able to reach anyone unfortunately. Except on Twitter.
TallTexan
I got an answer via email.

But I kinda wonder if I should hope for better seats on Sept 1 or look at section 108.
TallTexan
Reserving 107 Row K for the time being and going to try to move down Sept 1st.

Seats lower than us are almost always empty save for 2-3 dozen people, so I'm hopeful.
TallTexan
We've talked about finding ways to emulate some of the best basketball home field advantages around college basketball, but have we considered stealing our ideas from soccer?

A few benefits I see: Constant noise, chants add uniqueness, a relatively few number of fans provide the base of the noise.

Some of yall are a lot more familiar with soccer fan environments than I am. Is that something that could be reproduced in basketball?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

We've talked about finding ways to emulate some of the best basketball home field advantages around college basketball, but have we considered stealing our ideas from soccer?

A few benefits I see: Constant noise, chants add uniqueness, a relatively few number of fans provide the base of the noise.

Some of yall are a lot more familiar with soccer fan environments than I am. Is that something that could be reproduced in basketball?
. Sort of. I like to think the "Texian Army" of Houston Dynamo fame is a good model.
PurpleOut
Staff
The two could be considered similar, but the result needs to be a little different. As with basketball you have longer possession, and thus more noise is needed when on defense. Constant noise...not chants, where the chants are good when we have the ball.

Duke basketball is always the best example. Regardless of opponent, the time of the game, the score of the game...when Duke is on defense there is just the loud, constant hum. But on offense, they have a set number of chants that they cycle through. Watch how quickly they transition from defense to offense:

The noise from supporter sections at soccer games are a little different because of a lot of that is normally what you would describe as a song because they are sung and are longer than your normal chant with just 4-5 words. And a good amount of them are about individual players/coaches. And of course a lot are also aimed at other clubs with a lot of foul language (but that's more your big English clubs and not your MLS clubs around here).

If you can get past this clown in beginning of the video, here are songs from my Tottenham boys.

Could probably take some ideas from full songs, but I think you could do more with individual chants and songs about players.

The "He's One Of Our Own" chants could work for Nana being from Nac (if you could figure out how to properly get his name in there).

PurpleOut
Staff
You got me down a rabbit hole this morning. One of my favorite college basketball chants, one that I hope we don't hear this year, is from Kansas crowd with they close out a game. I've heard it a few times in person and it gives you chills.

Also great in person:

TallTexan
That's a pretty good rabbit hole to go down.

I like it.

Think there are probably a few keys to stepping up a notch.

1. We're gonna have to get some coordination between Purple Haze, cheer, and the rest of the crowd.
2. We need more of our folks who want to see a better enviro sitting closer together.
3. Students. Gotta find a way to get more students to games.
TallTexan
Rolling some of these out at football/soccer would work well too so you can get them to stick.

IE "Jacks are marching in" would really take off well at a football game, which would make it easy to get going randomly at basketball games.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.