SFA / LeTourneau

17,263 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
62-28 first second half media.
SFA Jack Fanatic
These announcers are doing a decent job.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Is Rob doing the radio?
Ljacks&Longnecks
they are okay but they ain't Meyers......But as Purple Out mentioned earlier our audio is definitely lacking the best mid major level.
Pilotgirl
What a block from Brown
KirkHeath12
Looks like Michigan state might get their first win at Duke., that's cute.
Class of 2012
Axe Em
nacluth
My girl made the dance cam twice. Day made for her.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks hitting 65% from the field and 37% from three.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Which girl? Don't you have about a dozen or so?
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Which girl? Don't you have about a dozen or so?
The one at a time that can come during COVID with my two tickets.
PurpleOut
Staff
Who is #25? Announcer keeps saying Porter but I don't know anyone by that name. Assuming that's Elliot with a different number?
RedRiverLa
Looking forward to coming over next Wednesday for the game - watching tonight on ESPN - just a tiny bit different than last year's game. Finally a first game that we always seem to expect when we play a DIII team.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut said:

Who is #25? Announcer keeps saying Porter but I don't know anyone by that name. Assuming that's Elliot with a different number?

Sounded like the PA guy said Elliot on that bucket.
nacluth
It's Elliott. Everyone had scored, but now they put Hyman in.
nacluth
Nana also got his first block.
SFAXE93
KENSMIL 11-14; PTS:23;REB:7;BLK:1;STL:1
KACHELRIES 8-8; PTS:17;AST:4;REB:3;BLK:1;STL:1

SFA 14 steals
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well that was fun......now down to business on Friday
SFA Jack Fanatic
Everyone got lots of floor time and the new guys got lots of game experience. A good night to be a Lumberjack!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Well that was fun......now down to business on Friday
Saturday DH. Women at 2:00. Men at 4:30. I'll be coming up for those.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Better check the schedule Ed....I just checked to see if McNeese had been added to my season tickets and they were but Alcorn is now not listed on the 5th.
nacluth
Currently no Alcorn St. just McNeese on Friday. Ladies play Thursday and Saturday.
nacluth
My first impressions - would love to hear yours.

Kensmil is a beast inside. He could have had everything if he wanted. His stat line didn't adequately portray his power.

Kalcheries looked good. Maybe best I've seen him (I know it was LT). Efficient, not prone to terrible passes, much better handle on the ball. Looked like a real point. I want to see this guy against good competition. Also, the one time he got beat from behind, he followed his man back down the court and DIDN'T foul him. Unlike every time last year. He's maturing.

Roti, Cam, and Calvin were everywhere. Solid, solid, solid. I can't express my pleasure that Solomon is a sophomore. Daniels is the silent 6th man. Played fabulously.

Heckard was quick, handled the ball well and scored. Needs work with cleaning up his defensive game, but the best of the new guys day one.

Hawkins started quick but kind of disappeared from the mix after some sloppy play. Don't think he saw the court much if any the second half. Looks fast.

Nana had a great debut in my opinion. Played hard. Not extremely effective, but looks like he can grow into a top big. Brown was decent. Not a particularly big presence, but a good first game.

McDaniel looked like it was his first game. A little hesitant but probably just needs some game time. He can scoot. Elliott got decent game time. Seemed like a walk on, but he got his bucket.

Excellent team cohesion. Great first team. Really excited about the second string. Looks like we're a solid 10 deep...if McDaniel starts to show out then 11. We're not a team anyone on our schedule is going to be happy to see if we can play with this chemistry. Makes me sad about the MTE. Come on McNeese.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Currently no Alcorn St. just McNeese on Friday. Ladies play Thursday and Saturday.

Thanks, guys. Confusing. I have mobile tickets and they still say a DH Saturday. No ticket for Friday's game. What a mess! What do I use for Friday?? I'm calling the ticket office tomorrow.
PurpleOut
Staff
Similar thoughts for the most part. I think Kensmil and Daniels is the combo to start. Have no problem with Calvin starting, but I thought that he was pretty shaky tonight. Obviously LeTourneau had no answer for Gavin, so him + Daniels was way too much for them. That may be different against other teams, but I liked the combo last year...and I like it now.

Wanted to see more from Hawkins to be honest, but it was just one game. Heckard looked like the best Guard off the bench.

Not expecting much from Nana, so I'm happy to just get him minutes. It will go a long ways with him. He didn't look bad, and that's a great sign for a freshman big man in his first game. Brown had a solid 2nd half, but don't see him more than just a body right now behind Daniels (which is great to have of course).

In all, it was a great first game, where we've sometimes had issues. As mentioned, the speed we played at was pretty amazing. Sometimes a little out of control, but if that's the game plan for a full game then that will happen and we should expect some turnovers. If we can keep the same defensive pressure, and push the ball MORE than we did last year...it could be really good.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Not expecting much from Nana, so I'm happy to just get him minutes. It will go a long ways with him. He didn't look bad, and that's a great sign for a freshman big man in his first game.

Nana made several bad passes. He needs to work on handling the ball.
nacluth

Didn't mention Posey, but he was cheering and supporting and cutting up after the game. Hopefully he will add another guard dimension at some point.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Posted attendance was 1,288. Were that many people actually there, or are they counting season tickets sold? I can't remember how attendance was counted in the past. There sure were a lot of empty seats on the stream.
nacluth
Sounds reasonable. COVID crowds are going to be terrible. I would say more people on the non-TV side possibly. Student section was ok for students not coming back after Thanksgiving, but there was zero crowd presence. Well except for 76 getting rowdy after a terrible blocking call.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Sounds reasonable. COVID crowds are going to be terrible. I would say more people on the non-TV side possibly. Student section was ok for students not coming back after Thanksgiving, but there was zero crowd presence. Well except for 76 getting rowdy after a terrible blocking call.
Well, it was. I couldn't go a full game without getting on the refs at least one time.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

Well, it was. I couldn't go a full game without getting on the refs at least one time.
You The Man, 76!
No-look
I thought we looked much better for a first game than last year. Didn't turn the ball over as much. We had a few turnovers and got a little sloppy at times but good overall. This team has the potential to be great!
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

I thought we looked much better for a first game than last year. Didn't turn the ball over as much. We had a few turnovers and got a little sloppy at times but good overall. This team has the potential to be great!

Agreed! Keller tried several different lineups. Once those get settled out, the Jacks will be really, really good.
Rev007
Great first game of the season, albeit against a subpar opponent. There were a lot of positives and very few negatives.

Positives:

Ball movement is better on this team than we've had in several years, and our players are interchangeable. This makes us a better overall team. For instance, if one guy is having a bad game, we've got several plug and play teammates on the bench ready for their name to be called.

Nana - some have made a few comments about this or that regarding his debut, but honestly, I saw a lot of hustle from the big man. He appears to have a strong desire to compete.

David - played incredibly well. My view was from tv, but it appears he has added 7-10 pounds of muscle to his frame.

Roti - a player who is always under control and quite frankly should take more shots as he is deadly from the 3 point line.

Heckard - He was probably pressing a little bit in his debut game, but lots of potential.

Brown - savvy court awareness

Negatives:

It would be ridiculous to expect someone to play the on ball pressure defense that John regularly provided the last 3 years, but I'd like to see more than I saw last night. However, we did consistently step into the passing lanes and created turnovers.

Solomon - I admire his ability to rebound, but can he please develop a consistent 8-10 foot shot?

McDaniel - This is not a negative about Kharee, it is more about his limited minutes against a weak opponent. He has great ball skills and the ability to to harass the ball handler.

Brown - his physical conditioning

Overall: I have high hopes for this year's team, and they didn't disappoint. I'm doubling down on an undefeated season heading into the tournament (I hope not to eat crow on this prediction).
cboothe09
A lot of positives from this one, but taking with a grain of salt because it was LETU...

One thing I can appreciate regardless of the opponent was the energy and the pace of play. These dudes were moving and never let up. McNeese isn't what I expected from them this year, but they are DI so I expect more from the Cowboys.
RichieVan
The big negative is that there needs to be more recognition of when there are "push" opportunities and when there is not. Many of their turnovers were due to not realizing these opportunities/lack of opportunities.

I absolutely loved the limited high/low action between Daniels and Kensmil. The interior passing was great to see. Their presence on the floor means we will not get pushed around with more physical teams, like we did with Rutgers last year.

27 assists on 44 buckets. Good stuff. Daniels had 5 in 14 minutes.

Our depth will enable us to mix and match based on the opponent.

Based on our weak schedule, going undefeated is not at all unrealistic. Looks like ACU is the main obstacle. I would hate to go undefeated and lose the SLC final and miss on the postseason with only one loss, but that could be the consequence of the altered schedule. Let's pray that doesn't happen.

This should be fun.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.