APR Issues

15,348 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Calling the issue a "clerical error" mischaracterizes it. As Ivey noted, it was "an athletics department administrative error in the academic certification process".
No-look
SFA_03 said:

I've read about some schools putting in for a waiver to combat this. Any chance of us doing that?
Good question. Or if the APR scores for this coming year was high, would the NCAA take that into consideration?
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

Calling the issue a "clerical error" mischaracterizes it. As Ivey noted, it was "an athletics department administrative error in the academic certification process".

This is code for "Total athletic program **** up over many years."
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

SFA_03 said:

I've read about some schools putting in for a waiver to combat this. Any chance of us doing that?
Good question. Or if the APR scores for this coming year was high, would the NCAA take that into consideration?

We'll have a lot of answers tomorrow, when additional reports will be made public.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

How exactly is this calculated? The NCAA website was less than clear on how to calculate APR.

And where exactly did we go wrong? Too many transfers? Kids not finishing? Courses not counting even when the kids made the grade?
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

SFA_03 said:

We'll have a lot of answers tomorrow, when additional reports will be made public.

Based on the NCAA numbers, our errors skewed the numbers pretty poorly. Our "actual" numbers would have been well below the threshold. So, this may not apply to us.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

SFA_03 said:

With the APR being a four year rolling average, there is the potential for future year penalties even with meaningful improvement. I believe the waiver request would be for future years based on current results, and policies and procedures put in place. I have heard of some schools having success with that.

The announced one year post season bans for the three sports are not going to change.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

How exactly is this calculated? The NCAA website was less than clear on how to calculate APR.

And where exactly did we go wrong? Too many transfers? Kids not finishing? Courses not counting even when the kids made the grade?

The ncaa site had some convoluted graphs and charts that explained it, not really.

However it's calculated, we obviously did a poor job making sure we knew how to. But, I'd think your examples all were part of it, at some level
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

SFA_03 said:

The announced one year post season bans for the three sports are not going to change.
Not without a lawsuit atleast.
TallTexan
The NCAA site was very convoluted.

Notably, the NCAA changed requirements for calculating & NPR standards for the 2012/2013 season, which is probably when ours changed. That was the first season that a 930 was required.

If the rules had been in place the season prior "To exemplify this phenomenon for collegiate basketball, if the 930 postseason ban had been in effect for the 2011-12 season then 99 teams would have received postseason bans."

It mentions exemptions, but doesn't really specify what the exemptions are or how they apply. For example, a student leaving to pursue a career or returning later to finish a degree. Or a student tranferring to another institution.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

SFA_03 said:

Not without a lawsuit atleast.

Not happening.
Pilotgirl
So now people are saying our wins might be taken away. Is that a possibility?
SFA Jack Fanatic
I hope the MBB Jacks play with a HUGE chip on their shoulders this Fall!
MasterAxe
Pilotgirl said:

I asked if it COULD happen, I highly doubt it would. But, we're trying to predict the NCAA and that's a crapshoot
SFASawmillGuy
You gotta worry about Keller's commitment to stay after this though.
If we win the conference and make a tourney run, maybe a sweet 16 appearance, you now have to convince one of the nations most eligible coaches to stay with a program he cannot go back to the tournament with no matter how good he is the following year.
Pilotgirl
MasterAxe said:

Pilotgirl said:

I asked if it COULD happen, I highly doubt it would. But, we're trying to predict the NCAA and that's a crapshoot

Oh, I was referring to some people posting on different social media and a friend text
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

You gotta worry about Keller's commitment to stay after this though.
If we win the conference and make a tourney run, maybe a sweet 16 appearance, you now have to convince one of the nations most eligible coaches to stay with a program he cannot go back to the tournament with no matter how good he is the following year.
If Keller leaves after this season, it won't be because of a one year post season ban. It will be because he got a big raise to go to another school.
HJC69
This discredits nothing we have done in the last few years. I'm not embarassed. This probem was a previous administration that got lazy. We have to look at the positive things that are happening now.
No-look
HJC69 said:

This discredits nothing we have done in the last few years. I'm not embarassed. This probem was a previous administration that got lazy. We have to look at the positive things that are happening now.
I like this post. One year that we can't advance but can still go undefeated in the Southland. Also school some P5's before conference. An AP top 25 ranking would help sooth the situation.
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

Pilotgirl said:

I am pretty sure wins and championships won are going to be taken away..
nacluth
It looks like since collegiate sports are undergoing changes the NCAA is trying to take on all the housecleaning it can in one offseason.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

It looks like since collegiate sports are undergoing changes the NCAA is trying to take on all the housecleaning it can in one offseason.
Discovery and resolution of our issues has been going on for about thirteen months. Timing relative to anything else going on is a coincidence.
sfa17
On the bright side this is a learning opportunity. And the athletic department will make sure this NEVER EVER happens again. Just hoping it doesn't set mbb back too far.

With all the transferring happening.. I'm scared. One of our players leaving after having a good season

Teams are going to be shopping at the SFA grocery store next summer.
jboy93
I refuse to be Chicken Little...we deal with the hand that we are dealt and move forward! Put it behind us and WIN! GO JACKS!
Jacks4460
What really sucks is that some of our kids have been going to SFASU thinking and being told they were on a path for graduation and in reality they were taking some bs courses that didn't even go towards their degree.. That is not good when you do an innocent kid that way... if I were some of the parents I would be asking the University to help make sure their child gets their degree.. SFASU should foot the bill for any kid that was mislead when it comes to earning their degree..
BigJack85
jboy93 said:

I refuse to be Chicken Little...we deal with the hand that we are dealt and move forward! Put it behind us and WIN! GO JACKS!
Now that's the spirit. I'm with you JBoy.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

MasterAxe said:

Pilotgirl said:

I can't see that happening. Mistakes made by people who were not on the court or playing fields. Most, if not all, of the players did nothing wrong themselves.
RedRiverLa
What's even more disheartening is that when you look at the list of 10 schools banned, a good majority are traditionally underperforming academic institutions that struggle in athletics. And, we are the only one to be hit in the 3 'major' sports. The ban is horrible enough, the company we're in is insult to injury, and that we lead this group in major sport probation is hard to stomach. A shame that this group has to pay for the sins of the last.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks4460 said:

MasterAxe said:

Pilotgirl said:

I can't see that happening. Mistakes made by people who were not on the court or playing fields. Most, if not all, of the players did nothing wrong themselves.
I am with you 100%.. Just dont be surprised when the NCAA Infractions Committee releases their findings and ruling on the issue..
ACUCattitude
I am very sorry for you Lumberjack fans and the rest of us in the SLC. This affects us all.
I just read Ryan Ivey's statement and he comes clean about the problems. I salute him for that.
SFA is one of the conference's flagship schools and should conduct its affairs responsibly. I believe Ivey can get the job done.
From the outside looking in ... Keller needs to go. He's been gaming the system for a long time. But that's my uninformed opinion.
Good luck to you all. Here's hoping it gets better.
nacluth
ACUCattitude said:

I am very sorry for you Lumberjack fans and the rest of us in the SLC. This affects us all.
I just read Ryan Ivey's statement and he comes clean about the problems. I salute him for that.
SFA is one of the conference's flagship schools and should conduct its affairs responsibly. I believe Ivey can get the job done.
From the outside looking in ... Keller needs to go. He's been gaming the system for a long time. But that's my uninformed opinion.
Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are understandable. I think most SFA fans are questioning where things went wrong and who should be responsible beyond the NCAA repercussions.
TallTexan
Nowhere in the report was it named that a HC was at fault.
Pilotgirl
ACUCattitude said:

Yeah, we don't need outside people telling us our HCs are dirty and should be fired. Go put that on your message board or social media. I don't think this is the time to kick an injured dog.
SFAJack_76
ACUCattitude said:

You're comments about basketball, or any other coaches, are way off base. I won't confuse you with facts. The coaches had nothing to do with this. Period.
ACUCattitude
I understand how you feel, PilotGirl. That comment was probably not necessary.

But before 'Jack fans start playing the victim, these penalties affect every university in the conference. We are all hurt by this. I want you to come out of this academically healthy and competitively strong and under Ivey I think you will.

But here's the thing, any head coach knows when virtually no players graduate over a 6 year period. If he keeps recruiting those guys, it's on him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.