APR Issues

15,144 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Info will start coming out today around some aspects that we've known relating to past academic problems. We remember the football players being taken off the bus earlier in the year. It's wider than that, and the APR report will be released shortly today, which includes basketball.

However, there is more info to come. From a reliable source, more details and info will be release later this week. Which we can then discuss further.

sfa17
Wow, we got schools paying players but we get a post season ban. Freakin ridiculous
MasterAxe
Hold up, am I understanding that we will have sports punished because an admin/secretary screwed up paperwork? Because our "House ain't in order" the athletes get punished?

Great job, everyone!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Well crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! https://www.ktre.com/2020/05/19/ncaa-bans-sfa-postseason-play-mens-sports-due-academic-issues/
SFAJack_76
I had posted this in a different thread because it is more than basketball.

"Today, the NCAA publicly released Academic Progress Report (APR) scores for all Division I athletic programs, including Stephen F. Austin. These four-year cohort APR scores began with the 2015-2016 academic year. As noted in its release, three SFA sports programs (men's basketball, football and baseball) failed to meet the minimum four-year cohort APR score of 930 needed to avoid penalties. As a result, these programs must serve the Level I APR penalties, which include a reduction in countable practice hours and a one-year postseason ban. The University has been approved to delay the men's basketball postseason ban until the 2021-22 season, while football and baseball will serve their bans during the 2020-21 academic year.

Beginning in 2013, an athletics department administrative error in the academic certification process resulted in the miscalculation of SFA's reported APR scores. Once the administrative error was identified and corrected, the APR scores of these three programs fell below the 930 threshold. Procedures are now in place to prevent a re-occurrence of the error.

The athletics department has been focused on academic progress and is proud of its current student athletes who collectively earned a 3.21 GPA for the spring semester.

SFA will be able to share additional information in the coming days and answer any questions.

As always, we appreciate your support of Stephen F. Austin Athletics.

Ryan Ivey
Director of Athletics"

Ljacks&Longnecks
Definitely want to hear more details about this issue. Potential harm to MBB recruiting knowing about 1 year post season ban.
If I recall correctly from previous postings about the football players who got screwed out of last year was that an individual at SFA who was in charge of this APR thing is the one that messed things up and was reassigned to another spot in the University but that alone would not explain an error going back to 2013.
Hope we get a full disclosure of the entire issue and a satisfactory assurance that this has been fully addressed and will not be allowed to happen again.
SFAJack_76
MasterAxe said:

Hold up, am I understanding that we will have sports punished because an admin/secretary screwed up paperwork? Because our "House ain't in order" the athletes get punished?

Great job, everyone!
The administrative errors were more than a secretarial mistake. Indeed it sucks that the current student-athletes, coaches, and staff get punished, but that's the way it works.
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Definitely want to hear more details about this issue. Potential harm to MBB recruiting knowing about 1 year post season ban.
If I recall correctly from previous postings about the football players who got screwed out of last year was that an individual at SFA who was in charge of this APR thing is the one that messed things up and was reassigned to another spot in the University but that alone would not explain an error going back to 2013.
Hope we get a full disclosure of the entire issue and a satisfactory assurance that this has been fully addressed and will not be allowed to happen again.
I love how we strategically took a post-season ban in the sports were not going to be very good in but basketball, where we are likely to have a very very good team again, get's it delayed to the following year.

Nice.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

MasterAxe said:

Great job, everyone!
The administrative errors were more than a secretarial mistake. Indeed it sucks that the current student-athletes, coaches, and staff get punished, but that's the way it works.

Unless you're a big school.
PurpleOut
Staff
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

There will be a lot of details to answer these questions and many more in a few days.

TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

I love how we strategically took a post-season ban in the sports were not going to be very good in but basketball, where we are likely to have a very very good team again, get's it delayed to the following year.

Nice.

Considering that we were in first place for both baseball & basketball, we should be allowed to take those this year when both our teams were deprived of the post season.

That said this is all BS. Big schools skate and we get screwed.
sfajack05
I get how football and possibly baseball could be in trouble with APR but not basketball. I thought the coaches did a good job staying on top of their grades and everything unless it goes back to last year when there were the issues with the players.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

That responsibility rested with our previous Associate AD for academics, and the former Senior Associate AD for Compliance for not establishing appropriate certification policies and procedures. I have confidence that our current athletic department staff has policies and procedures in place to prevent it from happening again.
MasterAxe
This may sound un-PC and if it 100% all gets chalked up to a "clerical error" I will admit I am wrong...BUT, this may be a direct reflection on the kids that were recruited during that time-frame and our coaches' ability to have them stay.

You have to recruit kids that are going to stay and graduate. That's what this comes down to.

I hate that this is happening, but, maybe it will make our entire department and programs take a good hard look at everything.

If a clerical error can cause this damage, then were probably were not that far from the edge anyways.
SFAJack_76
sfajack05 said:

I get how football and possibly baseball could be in trouble with APR but not basketball. I thought the coaches did a good job staying on top of their grades and everything unless it goes back to last year when there were the issues with the players.
It's not just grades. Each student-athlete is required to achieve a percentage of degree hours after 4, 6, and 8 semesters. Some of the hours being certified were not degree applicable. I suspect most coaches would not know which courses were degree applicable, relying on advisors to do their job correctly. The issues go back several years.
No-look
MasterAxe said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Nice.
because of this years virus cancellation?
MasterAxe
On the bright side, you're really not a big-boy program until you get hit with NCAA sanctions.
sfa17
This is gonna be negative for 2021 recruiting and a good reason for Keller to move on up to P6 job if he has a good season.
tangerito
What concerns me is do we loose Seniors since this will be their last year. I"m sure they can enter the transfer portal without having to sit. What say you?
MasterAxe
tangerito said:

What concerns me is do we loose Seniors since this will be their last year. I"m sure they can enter the transfer portal without having to sit. What say you?
I would think the same rules would apply, must transfer down (D2) to be immediately eligible or to a grad program not currently offered.

Seniors I think would stay, it would be the Soph/Junior who I think would leave.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Nice.
because of this years virus cancellation?
Exactly right. All of our juniors were denied the opportunity for post season play this year because of the virus. The NCAA agreed to delay the ban for one year so they did not miss out the chance their senior year also.
MasterAxe
Here is a question, perhaps stupid:

If I am reading it correct, we were basically calculating our APR scores incorrect. Does this mean that some players would have actually been ineligible, had it been calculated correctly?

And if so, could the games those players played in be vacated? The window they were judging for basketball includes a lot of wins, four SLC's and 4 NCAA's.
sfa17
MasterAxe said:

And if so, could the games those players played in be vacated? The window they were judging for basketball includes a lot of wins, four SLC's and 4 NCAA's.

I hope not, that is going too far.
MasterAxe
sfa17 said:

MasterAxe said:

I hope not, that is going too far.
I totally agree, but with NCAA, who the hell knows.
LUMBERJACK2005
Well, this sucks.
Axe 'Em!
c/o 2005
MasterAxe
Shoutout to Robert Hill and his staff.

Bang up job.
PurpleOut
Staff
It's an open forum so I don't mind the conversation and comments, but let's try not to speculate too much. And again we'll have a lot of questions answered soon, we don't have all of the details yet.

I agree it sucks. Big time.
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

It's an open forum so I don't mind the conversation and comments, but let's try not to speculate too much. And again we'll have a lot of questions answered soon, we don't have all of the details yet.

I agree it sucks. Big time.
Look, we're never gonna know that really happened. Ivey is not going to come out and be "Yep, Kathy & Bill in compliance screwed it all up."

We're gonna get generic statements about "unfortunate errors" and how "we feel bad for the kids" and that "we've taken measures to make sure this never happens again."

cboothe09
Why not have tutors do their work for them? Worked for UNC...Seems like cheating to pass is better than screwing up honestly...

I'm angry, upset, but the biggest thing is embarrassed. Terrible look for the athletic department and the school.
MasterAxe
cboothe09 said:

Why not have tutors do their work for them? Worked for UNC...Seems like cheating to pass is better than screwing up honestly...

I'm angry, upset, but the biggest thing is embarrassed. Terrible look for the athletic department and the school.
Embarrassed is the exact term to use. I think i echoes the sentiment of just about everyone on this board.
SFAJack_76
MasterAxe said:

cboothe09 said:

Embarrassed is the exact term to use. I think i echoes the sentiment of just about everyone on this board.
I am embarrassed. I am more than slightly nauseous. I am pissed at previous administrations.

I am even more resolved to support our current student-athletes, our coaches, and our administration. Coupled with the current financial challenges, they need us now more than ever. Perhaps that sounds a little rah, rah, but that's where I am.
sfajack05
SFAJack_76 said:

sfajack05 said:

It's not just grades. Each student-athlete is required to achieve a percentage of degree hours after 4, 6, and 8 semesters. Some of the hours being certified were not degree applicable. I suspect most coaches would not know which courses were degree applicable, relying on advisors to do their job correctly. The issues go back several years.
Thanks for clarifying that.

I was thinking basketball had a good grip on the players passing, graduating, and meeting the requirements because I don't remember much turnover in players besides last year.
PurpleOut
Staff
sfajack05 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

sfajack05 said:

Thanks for clarifying that.

I was thinking basketball had a good grip on the players passing, graduating, and meeting the requirements because I don't remember much turnover in players besides last year.
Yeah kind of a snow ball effect it seems to me. You miss up your calculations, and don't realize that it's wrong and keep doing it the same/wrong way for years. While incorrectly also telling the athletes where they stand (because of the wrong calculations).
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I suspect most coaches would not know which courses were degree applicable, relying on advisors to do their job correctly.

I think you nailed it, 76.
MasterAxe
I assume there is more to the story than "clerical error," and that players leaving early, not graduating etc...has a lot to do with it.

By no means is this a "Basketball Exclusive" issue, but the following players would be a negative APR impact...as they signed a NLI and (1) Never showed (2) Never finished.

Karl Nicholas
Jock Hughes
Mitchell Seraille
Isaiah Traylor
Deshon Francis
Johnny Dahl
Payton Sanders
Lasani Johnson
Brandon Averette
Aaron Augustine

That's just some that I could find. There are possibly more. In no way am I saying these are bad kids, but, they were all negative hits on our APR.

Baseball and Football surely have a similar ratio of signed kids vs kids that left.

Bottom line, we're going to have to recruit kids that will finish. Across all sports.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.