APR Issues

15,363 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I am beyond devastated.
MasterAxe
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

One of the MBB coaches just said that today's news could kill recruiting.

I am beyond devastated.
I mean, how can it not. We've got one year to play for post-season then OUT. So a JUCO guy only gets on shot and an incoming freshman (1) probably does not play a ton year one, then (2) No post-season, then has just two years to make it work.

Then you absolutely know the NCAA and their minions will be all over the numbers each year.
PurpleOut
Staff
MasterAxe said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I am beyond devastated.
I mean, how can it not. We've got one year to play for post-season then OUT. So a JUCO guy only gets on shot and an incoming freshman (1) probably does not play a ton year one, then (2) No post-season, then has just two years to make it work.

Then you absolutely know the NCAA and their minions will be all over the numbers each year.
Don't disagree, but just to play the other side, there's no guarantee to make the tournament. Especially every year.

Our best scorer in D1 History only played in 1 NCAA Tournament game. Things happen.

I think the hardest part about this for recruiting, is how much the other coaches that we are battling against will use it against us.
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

MasterAxe said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I am beyond devastated.

Don't disagree, but just to play the other side, there's no guarantee to make the tournament. Especially every year.

Our best scorer in D1 History only played in 1 NCAA Tournament game. Things happen.

I think the hardest part about this for recruiting, is how much the other coaches that we are battling against will use it against us.
Don't disagree. I'd like to think that we could counter an "anti-SFA" recruiting methods by saying "look at the banners, look at the facilities, sign the paper."

But again, it's got to start being kids that can graduate.
No-look
Can we still win the conference championship during the ban year?
MasterAxe
No-look said:

Regular season only.
RedRiverLa
An embarrassment that isn't just short term, but will last a while in overall department perception by most who will just see a headline. This is something I expect from Prison Tech, not us.
TallTexan
No-look said:

Goal: destroy the conference in a year we can't play in the NCAA and then let them hold the conference tourney knowing they're still second best.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I am beyond devastated.
I would be disappointed at any of our coaches saying that. It is such a defeatist attitude. There is still a lot of positives about the program to sell. The positives are still there. Tough challenges call for enhanced leadership.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Goal: destroy the conference in a year we can't play in the NCAA and then let them hold the conference tourney knowing they're still second best.
Spot on.
CertifiedAxeman98
No-look
Well, at least it's just for one year. We can overcome
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I am beyond devastated.
I would be disappointed at any of our coaches saying that. It is such a defeatist attitude. There is still a lot of positives about the program to sell. The positives are still there. Tough challenges call for enhanced leadership.
76 you are so correct.. I hope its not who I am thinking it is being negative..
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I am beyond devastated.
I would be a pissed off HC if one of my assistants was talking negatively about the situation..
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Exactly, Texan!
SFAJack_76
I would be careful about naming names. I believe a couple of those were not on scholarship. They don't count on APR. Augustin was still in school all this year, and was an assistant at Nacogdoches High. Hopefully, he is close to graduating.

Jovan graduated a year after he finished playing. Canete came back to get his degree after being out for a year. Amongst this morass, there are positive stories.
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Agreed having players come in and leave early hurts us here.
It does, but that is not unique to us. There are currently 909 D1 transfers this year across 350 teams.
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

It does, but that is not unique to us. There are currently 909 D1 transfers this year across 350 teams.
You are absolutely correct. It means, however, that the ones that stayed just simply were not doing what was required in school to keep us at the eligibility number.

The argument of "who's at fault" is valid, but whatever was happening, it was happening at the admin/athlete level.
nacluth
I'll be curious to see if this is still under negotiation or if this is the result of negotiations.
wahlwesle
PurpleOut said:

I know this is no laughing matter, but some of the comments to this tweet are hilarious.
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

You are absolutely correct. It means, however, that the ones that stayed just simply were not doing what was required in school to keep us at the eligibility number.

The argument of "who's at fault" is valid, but whatever was happening, it was happening at the admin/athlete level.
Come Thursday we will know alot more on "who's at fault"...
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I'll be curious to see if this is still under negotiation or if this is the result of negotiations.

I'm curious to know this as well.
MasterAxe
Jacks4460 said:

MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

As much as I want it to happen, there is a zero percent chance that "names are named."

At least publicly.
Pilotgirl
I've already had 2 people contact me and ask what's going on. When I explained it, both responses were "man, that discredits everything they've done in the last several years"

I am just....ugh...so frustrated, sad, embarrassed...you name it!
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

As much as I want it to happen, there is a zero percent chance that "names are named."

At least publicly.
I agree maybe no names but certain positions might be mentioned in the NCAA infractions case...
Jacks4460
nacluth said:

I would say the result of the negotiations.. NCAA has known about this for a good while now.. Pretty sure we self reported. Which is the right thing to do when you come upon a mess like this..
Jacks4460
Pilotgirl said:

I've already had 2 people contact me and ask what's going on. When I explained it, both responses were "man, that discredits everything they've done in the last several years"

I have had people tell me the same.. Just feel bad for the kids...
RedRiverLa
I look forward to watching the Ladyjacks play in Katy 21-22.
Pilotgirl
RedRiverLa said:

I look forward to watching the Ladyjacks play in Katy 21-22.

With, I hope, the largest ever SFA fan base. Let's push hard for that in 2022. People can stay at my house!
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Negotiations are done.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

I understand why they would say that, but it doesn't.
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl said:

Agreed.

I had to charge my phone hours ago.
MasterAxe
SLC Football just got interesting.

SFA and McNeese both on bans for upcoming season. Not that we would have won the conference, but McNeese could have.

Link has story with other schools getting banned: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/stephen-f-austin-among-four-division-i-programs-hit-with-ncaa-tournament-bans-for-poor-apr-scores/

Its a lot of SWAC, MEAC and then the two SLC representatives
MasterAxe
Did some homework, this is a link to the past few years of SFA basketball APR report:

https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/aprsearch

The threshold is 930...our "clerical error" had us reporting in the mid to high 900's...and we dropped to 810 (yikes) when the error was found.

The error was covering up a massive issue in basketball, one that (I assume) is similar in football and baseball.

SFASawmillGuy
I've read about some schools putting in for a waiver to combat this. Any chance of us doing that?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.