SFA / New Orleans (2)

19,003 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pilotgirl
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ha! I was the guy he was going to call security on! I have never seen him at a game before. One of the cheerleaders was his daughter. He probably had never been to a college game. I was giving the blonde ref a piece of my mind for making a ridiculous technical call on one of the Ladyjacks. He jumped up, turned around, and asked if I was going to "scream the whole game". (I had been yelling for maybe 15 seconds.) He said another guy (maybe you) was just as bad as me. I said I was a BB official for 23 years and that play was not worthy of a technical. He said he was going to get security to get me out of the gym. I said "Please do. I want to hear what you say to them to justify removing me." He turned back around and sat down and never said another word.

Oh man, we missed all the fun. I do hope he comes back.
TallTexan
Between 107 and 108, our whole side is constantly ripping the refs(deservedly so).

To be offended is just too funny to me. Guy must be a Bearkat whose daughter decided to take a better path in life.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Between 107 and 108, our whole side is constantly ripping the refs(deservedly so).

To be offended is just too funny to me. Guy must be a Bearkat whose daughter decided to take a better path in life.

He was wearing an SFA polo. It wasn't very worn.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Dr. Collier was at a former student's wedding in Houston. He sits a couple of rows in front of us and works the refs frequently. Huge Ladyjack fan. Was wishing he was there too.
TallTexan
We need a section for those of us that are more raucous, mainly our usual internet bunch here and twitter. If we were more concentrated in a specific area, I think it'd add to the atmosphere.

We'll call it Purple Aged, since the students stay the same age but we keep getting older.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Like it Texan!
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

We need a section for those of us that are more raucous, mainly our usual internet bunch here and twitter. If we were more concentrated in a specific area, I think it'd add to the atmosphere.

We'll call it Purple Aged, since the students stay the same age but we keep getting older.

Purple Aged?? "What you talkin' bout, Willis?"
No-look
I was thinking something like Purple Power...
cboothe09
Purple Patrol
nacluth
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

How was the tailgating?
Posted on the tailgate thread, but I thought it was great. Couldn't have asked for better weather.

Attendance overall was good but still average to me and what I want to help grow. For it not being publicized by the athletic department though, I thought it was solid. Just not any other fans that set up tents or anything else other than me (and Rev who attempted to set up one of our old tents that unfortunately broke).

There were definitely conversations had about pushing for real tailgating, including the idea of selling tailgate spots.
Pilotgirl
We enjoyed being able to sit under the alumni tent. We had brought chairs but saw we didn't need them.

Why sell tailgating spots when it's not even a high attended event? To me, that discourages it and would stop us doing it entirely. Not everything has to be about $$. How about using it to grow the Alumni assoc? Was talking to V about us getting involved down here in Houston. I think getting people to show up, publicize it more, then you can see if people would be interested in spots. Heck, we gotta concentrate on just getting people to the game.

I think more publicity will draw more people out for the other tailgates.
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl said:

We enjoyed being able to sit under the alumni tent. We had brought chairs but saw we didn't need them.

Why sell tailgating spots when it's not even a high attended event? To me, that discourages it and would stop us doing it entirely. Not everything has to be about $$. How about using it to grow the Alumni assoc? Was talking to V about us getting involved down here in Houston. I think getting people to show up, publicize it more, then you can see if people would be interested in sports. Heck, we gotta concentrate on just getting people to the game

It's not really even an event right now. There's never been tailgating for basketball, so with some marketing towards it and actually having the AD encourage tailgating...it can easily catch on and be a thing. Not saying it should immediately be a pay to tailgate thing (or really ever), but it has to be an option. If it is, people will definitely do it. Including those sponsors that were out there yesterday. And that doesn't mean people can't tailgate without paying.
PurpleOut
Staff
And sorry I must have missed you guys out there (don't think we've met before).
Pilotgirl
PurpleOut said:

Pilotgirl said:

Why sell tailgating spots when it's not even a high attended event? To me, that discourages it and would stop us doing it entirely. Not everything has to be about $$. How about using it to grow the Alumni assoc? Was talking to V about us getting involved down here in Houston. I think getting people to show up, publicize it more, then you can see if people would be interested in sports. Heck, we gotta concentrate on just getting people to the game

It's not really even an event right now. There's never been tailgating for basketball, so with some marketing towards it and actually having the AD encourage tailgating...it can easily catch on and be a thing. Not saying it should immediately be a pay to tailgate thing (or really ever), but it has to be an option. If it is, people will definitely do it. Including those sponsors that were out there yesterday. And that doesn't mean people can't tailgate without paying.

Good luck with that (sponsored spots are one thing but what do I know)

Something as simple as an alumni member email might help. Ran into some people that asked me about what we were doing and I explained. Their response was "We are on the almuni assoc board...wish we wouldve known" again, I think if it is going to grow, more communication is needed. But a great start for sure! Just my 2 cents
Pilotgirl
PurpleOut said:

And sorry I must have missed you guys out there (don't think we've met before).

Hard to miss a super white girl and a short, mixed girl (for the furture) Lol I will introduce myself next time as I never meet a stranger.
sfajack05
Second game of the season for me in person. Caught the fourth quarter of the Ladyjacks game and then had to leave with about five minutes left to get to the awards ceremony for my daughters dance competition that was over at Shelton.

Jacks definitely had it under control until Bain went down. Seemed like the air in the entire place went out and that let UNO get back in it. He's definitely the glue of the team. Roti is becoming a bigger part of the team and hitting his shots especially on 3's which is one thing we lack is not that big time three point shooter like we've had in the past.

I thought the crowd was decent but seemed like it was mostly non-students. I don't think purple haze stood the entire time except for the simba cam. It's disappointing. Also, all the damn kids running around on the concourse is annoying as hell. Always has been even when I was a student. Wish they would stop that.

Got to see a few fellow sawmillers. Hate I missed some of you though. I'm hoping to come back for another game or two.
Pilotgirl
Spot on with everything. You could feel the energy being zapped out of the Coliseum when Bain went down.
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl said:

PurpleOut said:

Pilotgirl said:

Good luck with that (sponsored spots are one thing but what do I know)

Something as simple as an alumni member email might help. Ran into some people that asked me about what we were doing and I explained. Their response was "We are on the almuni assoc board...wish we wouldve known" again, I think if it is going to grow, more communication is needed. But a great start for sure! Just my 2 cents
This is also a small row (maybe 30 spots) which would be the priority parking lot that would require a level II pass anyway. The grass that we were on extends down the entire commuter lot, so there's plenty of room for anyone else to tailgate outside of this small row. Those trees we were under are basically perfectly spaced apart for on tailgating tent. So, I think if you market that everyone can tailgate in the lot, this small area would be primarily for bigger tailgates, the alumni tent, sponsors like R&K, etc.

Also, Lumberjack Alley back in the day was paid/reserved tailgating, so it can work.

Agree on everything else, this past weekend there wasn't the desire for anyone else to really market it other than a few tweets from the Alumni Association. They weren't going to advertise it at all to begin with and were going to make it an RSVP event just to keep it small. Once we have a system, it will be easier to market everything and get the idea in front of more people like you said via email.
Pilotgirl
Awesome!
W1964
Something important is left out of this discussion about student attendance at athletic events. A few years ago many students were poisoned in the classroom by their profs toward athletics in general. A concerted effort, lead by then provost Rick Berry, opposing the proposed athletic fee which was defeated by a vote of the student body. It was reported the good provost sent emails to teachers with talking points to be used in class encouraging students to vote against the fees. Many teachers feel any money spent on athletics is a waste and would be better spent in their department.
PurpleOut
Staff
W1964 said:

Something important is left out of this discussion about student attendance at athletic events. A few years ago many students were poisoned in the classroom by their profs toward athletics in general. A concerted effort, lead by then provost Rick Berry, opposing the proposed athletic fee which was defeated by a vote of the student body. It was reported the good provost sent emails to teachers with talking points to be used in class encouraging students to vote against the fees. Many teachers feel any money spent on athletics is a waste and would be better spent in their department.
100%. We have such a large percentage of our professors that are openly anti-everything athletics.
CertifiedAxeman98
SFAJack_76 said:

RedRiverLa said:

This is quite an amazing season, but what is so spectacular to me, and I put this all on Keller's and the staffs' ability, we are playing with 9 active and available (I believe) new players. Think about that for a minute. Never played before together until this season. It often takes several season to jell, and we've beaten impressive teams from day 1 and have 21 Ws at this point.
Two of the nine new players aren't available and are being red shirted. Brown due to injury. McDaniel due of other reasons. Absolutely agree with how good this year has been considering what the roster looked like at the start of the season.
I am curious why some of the other walk-on's don't suit out when we are down players (injury or otherwise). Seems like the only walk-on we suit up is Zivney.
nacluth
I believe the other walkons were specifically recruited for the practice squad whereas Zivney was supposed to be a back of the bench type of player. I may have that all wrong, but that is my impression.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

W1964 said:

100%. We have such a large percentage of our professors that are openly anti-everything athletics.
Much like Student Athlete of the week, we need a "professor" of the week. Present them with a plaque at that weeks game, give them a standing ovation, & a gift card for dinner, etc ought to buy us some goodwill across the university.

That & show them the applications boost every time athletics gives the university free marketing.

The 75 year old boosters who sit by us are onboard with new locker rooms, because in her words "you can't recruit HS kids with our current facilities". And the 1965 SFA grad I met her in Palestine was like "we beat Duke, you can't buy that kind of marketing for the university".

If they can understand the benefits of sports to the university, certainly a PHD can figure it out. If not, I am available to evangelize to them if Ivey will provide me with a lunch budget.
SFAJack_76
W1964 said:

Absolutely correct. That was then. We now have a president in Dr. Gordon that strongly believes in the value of college athletics, and embraces Ivey's vision of being the best mid-major athletic department. Things are changing. It takes time, energy, and money to change a strongly imbedded culture. It is changing.
CertifiedAxeman98
nacluth said:

I believe the other walkons were specifically recruited for the practice squad whereas Zivney was supposed to be a back of the bench type of player. I may have that all wrong, but that is my impression.
I believe that Matturro was considered a preferred walk-on and was in Spain so that is why I asked. I guess they don't have them dress out since they don't plan to play them. Ziviney gets mostly garbage time. He had his warm up off and moved closer to the scorers table near the end of the Nichols game but unfortunately for him we could never pull away at the end to give him some time on the court.
SFAJack_76
Probably shouldn't single anyone out, but our "friend" can be seen in the last picture. No, I'm not talking about the guy next to Dr. Gordon.
CertifiedAxeman98
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

W1964 said:

Much like Student Athlete of the week, we need a "professor" of the week. Present them with a plaque at that weeks game, give them a standing ovation, & a gift card for dinner, etc ought to buy us some goodwill across the university.

That & show them the applications boost every time athletics gives the university free marketing.

The 75 year old boosters who sit by us are onboard with new locker rooms, because in her words "you can't recruit HS kids with our current facilities". And the 1965 SFA grad I met her in Palestine was like "we beat Duke, you can't buy that kind of marketing for the university".

If they can understand the benefits of sports to the university, certainly a PHD can figure it out. If not, I am available to evangelize to them if Ivey will provide me with a lunch budget.
College is more than just a classroom education. I spoke to a friend who has a daughter that is narrowing down her colleges that she has been accepted to and they really liked one smaller school. The daughter said that she liked the school but wanted to get a full college experience and while smaller school would give her a great education in the field she wanted, there were other schools that not only offered the field of study but had other clubs, organizations, sports etc. that she wanted to experience. Living on campus and then off campus (in a house that should have been condemned) and involved in clubs and other organized activities outside of class were just as important for me as the degrees I walked away with. I can still say that I was one of the 23,617 at the McNeese game that set the record for the largest attendance at Homer Bryce.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

W1964 said:

Ivory Effing Towers. Not all but a lot of them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.