SFA / New Orleans (2)

18,858 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pilotgirl
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (20-3, 11-1) vs. New Orleans (7-15, 3-9)

WHEN: FEB 8 (SAT) 4:30 P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

For the sixth time in the past decade, the SFA Lumberjacks have 20 wins and still have the even more impressive 30 win season still in view. Much was made of the past 5 games that started with three teams within a game and a half of SFA in the standings. After a straight sweep of all five, the Jacks are now 3 games up on the entire Southland field with only 8 games remaining in the season. However, this team isn't done. They have their sights set on something more: winning in the NCAA tournament. To do that, they know that there is no room for error going forward - definitely not during the Cram the Coliseum game against the last place team in the league.

Last time we met New Orleans at their place, the Jacks were expecting the strong physical play that the Privateers have exhibited the last few seasons. While they got it for about twenty-five minutes, the Jacks' depth completely overwhelmed UNO giving SFA a 19 point cruising win. Since then New Orleans has been in utter free fall. The losses are piling up and the team is thinking about next season or Mardi Gras or something other than their current situation. But, beating SFA on their home court would be a nice feather in the cap for this stinker of a season. The Jacks can't take the weekend off.

Last time, Bryson Robinson went off for 28 points in a Sisyphean effort without any team support. Expect him to get his points again, but with Daniels becoming more effective at the post position, he probably won't get 25 this time. Schlessinger didn't hold the zone when we played them last time in order to match our physicality. He quickly realized that he didn't have a match. Expect the Jacks to see more of a slouching zone to affect our speed - and even more press. He's going to pull out the deep end of the play book because this is the closest they will be getting to Katy at this point. It could be crazy in front of the big crowd.

Bench play has been the strength of this team defensively and the weakness offensively. Kevon is not playing at full speed right now. That's not going to keep him from being effective, but this is the time our offensive weapons need to wake up. Roti and Bain have taken on the lion's share in the last few games, but Saturday needs to be the day David and Cam find their rhythm. It's starting to be a bonafide slump for those two - especially David. Solomon was effective again in his limited minutes Wednesday night, but the key to winning this season is keeping the Kensmil/Daniels/Solomon rotation rolling. They have been the rock of this team.

It's party time at WRJ! Bring the noise to see you first place Jacks keep New Orleans lost at sea. Let's Cram that Coliseum!

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
Great write up as usual. We need to put this one away early and not just get the W. Axe'em!!!
nacluth
Think they will bring these to our house?

cboothe09
I feel we're due for a let down game after that stretch, but I dont think this will be it. I'm afraid of our trip to Corpus...
nacluth
I'm mildly hopeful that the Nicholls game was actually it. We underperformed in that game despite Nicholls' physicality. And, our offense is in a little slump. Depth keeps saving us, but despite winning the last 7, we could be better.

I agree that New Orleans is not a typical last place SLC team, and we cannot approach it like they're terrible. I feel responsible for the Corpus loss because I called them trash and may have posted a picture of a dumpster fire. I won't do that this time, and I think we'll be motivated to pay back a little.
SFASawmillGuy
I agree that the nicholls game was definitely be our let down game, or that we should take it as one. Really any conference game we win by less than 10 points should be considered our "let down" game. A loss in conference is a massive tragic upset that only validates our lack of respect.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Am I the only one that doesn't like these??
SFASawmillGuy
Pilotgirl said:

nacluth said:

Am I the only one that doesn't like these??

Im not a huge fan of flashy alternate uniforms. I like the Black alts or occasionally the gray ones. But not over the top Unis.

But these actually have a tie to the local region. Some are just random for the sake of being flashy. These actually tie not only to the city of New Orleans but of Mardi Gras, so I can appreciate them. So I appreciate them for that.

Still kind of glad there's nothing around Nac that could force SFA to have some flashy over the top Unis. I'll take purple black or white uniforms any day!
jboy93
Man I want to be at this game...family obligations! Hopefully a big crowd will inspire a good beat down of UNO! GO JACKS!
cboothe09
I hope Nicholls was the let down game too, but I think they were more disruptive than you may be giving credit for. They have been up and down all year, but they have shown the talent to beat a Pitt and send Illinois to overtime. I think we got one of their better efforts, as to be expected.

As for UNO, not sure if they have started getting healthier or not yet, but I know injuries have pretty much killed their season. This should be a game where we pull away again, and hopefully some of our main guys can get some more rest than usual. These minutes are adding up, and these nagging injuries aren't going anywhere. A little more rest could help down the final stretch going into Katy...
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

Man I want to be at this game...family obligations! Hopefully a big crowd will inspire a good beat down of UNO! GO JACKS!
Hold up, you're out & we're out.

There goes half our crowd noise from Wednesday.

Matt & Ed better be ready to step it up. Bring your bullhorns guys.
jboy93
TallTexan said:

jboy93 said:

Now I have to know where you sit? Ed is kind enough to let me keep his seats warm when he is not able to attend so I'm assuming you are close to 107 H. I know I can be loud at times though!
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

TallTexan said:

jboy93 said:

Now I have to know where you sit? Ed is kind enough to let me keep his seats warm when he is not able to attend so I'm assuming you are close to 107 H. I know I can be loud at times though!
Lol, you're like two or 3 in front of us. Think we're row K.

I need to say hello, but half the time we get there after tip off. Will make a point of it next time.
jboy93
This may not be the right time or the right place to bring this up but is it too early to consider getting hotel for Katy? Don't want to jinx anything but just looking ahead. It will be here before we know it. I'm gonna get to go for a change!. My wife and daughter will be in Hawaii and I get to go to Katy...wonder who got the better deal?!?!?
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

This may not be the right time or the right place to bring this up but is it too early to consider getting hotel for Katy? Don't want to jinx anything but just looking ahead. It will be here before we know it. I'm gonna get to go for a change!. My wife and daughter will be in Hawaii and I get to go to Katy...wonder who got the better deal?!?!?

Lots and lots of hotels near the venue, since Katy Mills Mall and Typhoon Texas Waterpark are right across the freeway. No hurry to book a room, IMO.
jboy93
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

jboy93 said:

Lots and lots of hotels near the venue, since Katy Mills Mall and Typhoon Texas Waterpark are right across the freeway. No hurry to book a room, IMO.
thank you sir!
nacluth
Ok, since you brought it up. If we win against New Orleans and Corpus (our next two games), we'll punch our ticket. Unlike last year, we would have to lose our remaining eight games with a very unlikely and perfect schedule of bad teams winning for us to miss. So, even though it's not a mathematical lock, it is a very very high probability.

Right now we're on track for our first game to be on Friday (double bye), but it will take at least two weeks more to get close to fixing that.
Txjack
jboy93 said:

Watching your Jacks win to go to the dance...priceless. Forget Hawaii, Katy is lovely in the spring plus there is now a Bucee's near the Merrell Center!
jboy93
Watching your Jacks win to go to the dance...priceless. Forget Hawaii, Katy is lovely in the spring plus there is now a Bucee's near the Merrell Center!

Now I'm sold...Bucee's and basketball! Who needs Hawaii!?
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

jboy93 said:

Guess us losing our voices at Sam just wasn't enough for ya :/ We sit in the student section. V gets us going, I back her up and then others join in. I can't stand for long periods of time but I can certainly be loud!
No-look
TallTexan said:

jboy93 said:

TallTexan said:

jboy93 said:

I need to say hello, but half the time we get there after tip off. Will make a point of it next time.
I was thinking that might be you. We are Row H to your left. We are the ones that kept putting the fefs in their place last game. Lol
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Like the ones we were wearing when we beat Duke?

RedRiverLa
Wow, didn't realize they had their sights on winning the NCAA tournament! I'd be happy with the southland, but why not!
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

I like them. They are more understated than some other teams in our state.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic
We may not cram the coliseum, but a very nice crowd. Lots of folks streaming in now.
jboy93
Trying to stay up with games in between my daughters dances. Go Jacks!
nacluth
Nicholls up by 9 on Sam at half.
RichieVan
Cannot leave Robinson alone. Someone needs to stay with him at all times.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Harris!!!!!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Looks like a good crowd today....made some noise after that Harris slam.
TallTexan
No-look said:

TallTexan said:

jboy93 said:

TallTexan said:

jboy93 said:

I was thinking that might be you. We are Row H to your left. We are the ones that kept putting the fefs in their place last game. Lol

Like Amber Wagnon said today, we need an online Lumberjacks tshirt or something so everyone can recognize each other.
TallTexan
Holyfield just had back to back blocks to stop Texas at the end of the game.
TallTexan
We're SF Austin on ESPN+ today.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.