Student Support

32,913 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
SFA_03 said:

When I was a student I had a lot of friends in different fraternities and other organizations. The consensus was a combination of them thinking our teams suck even though they have no idea what the record is or how we've been playing and them not caring about who we play. They don't care about SLC opponents(except for Sam Houston) or the D2 and D3 schools we are forced to host.
Most of them seem to want us to host a team like Duke and UNC at home consistently in basketball and Alabama and UT in football. It's the idea that if you can't beat the absolute best in the sport that you are trash, and unfortunately that's an idea a lot of our fans share.
Yep, unfortunately this is a big part of our problem. I constantly hear from new students that say they were told the sports suck...so they don't bother. Not only do they hear it from other students, but as mentioned, they also hear it from our faculty.
TallTexan
I hate when I hear "we should play Texas at home". It's a completely unrealistic expectation. Those folks would be unhappy if we got a Mountain West invite.

I had a few friends my first year who thought we hadn't won a football game in like 3 years, despite the fact we were in the middle of Jeremy Moses & co. That was prior to a lot of social media, so it's a little easier to avoid the results, but come on man.

Really think a "professor of the week" would be a great way to get faculty involved & out to the games. Merge the academics & athletics & build some good will.
PurpleOut
Staff
That's another thing about moving to a new conference, when it comes to attendance. Let's say we move to Conference USA, playing the likes of LaTech, UNT, UAB, WKU would be a huge step up athletically. But do you think even the average SFA student/fan will care about playing Middle Tennessee? The answer is no.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

That's another thing about moving to a new conference, when it comes to attendance. Let's say we move to Conference USA, playing the likes of LaTech, UNT, UAB, WKU would be a huge step up athletically. But do you think even the average SFA student/fan will care about playing Middle Tennessee? The answer is no.
An argument I constantly have with my brother the Sam Houston alum. They think if they move conferences their attendance will go up with better opponents.

For all practical purposes, the average SFA/Southland student/fan would not be impressed by anything below P6.
sfajack05
I was in a fraternity while I was there and we always had at least 10-15 guys attend each game. We would also invite the girls that hung around the chapter and would usually try to bring some nonmembers for recruitment purposes. I'm sad to say that now they don't go but to maybe one game a year just so they can get "credit" for some report they have to turn into the university.

I did look and there are only 900 students that are members of Greek life. That's all fraternities and sororities. I think it would be easier to target the sororities and then maybe eventually the fraternities would follow. Could go to the sorority houses and invite them to come out.

That also leaves nearly 8,300 students. Getting a 1/4 of those students to come out would make a big difference.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

I hate when I hear "we should play Texas at home". It's a completely unrealistic expectation. Those folks would be unhappy if we got a Mountain West invite.

I had a few friends my first year who thought we hadn't won a football game in like 3 years, despite the fact we were in the middle of Jeremy Moses & co. That was prior to a lot of social media, so it's a little easier to avoid the results, but come on man.

Really think a "professor of the week" would be a great way to get faculty involved & out to the games. Merge the academics & athletics & build some good will.

I remember hearing how our football team hadn't won a game in several years multiple times. While we were preparing for a playoff game.

Our fans also have a hard time caring because when you go into Academy or Wal-Mart anywhere but nac, you'll never find anything at all that even acknowledges SFA exists. The SFA brand is growing, but it's not something they can wear and be recognized. Alabama, Texas, OU, those are brands you can wear and people will recognize exactly who that is. I hated that I saw more Texas and Texas A&M jersey's around campus than SFA.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Probably most are not aware that there was an "honorary coach" last night that was recognized by Ivey with a gift during a time out that is in the math department. She and her daughter (?) had sideline seats.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Probably most are not aware that there was an "honorary coach" last night that was recognized by Ivey with a gift during a time out that is in the math department. She and her daughter (?) had sideline seats.

Ya I had no idea and I was there. Unless it was the first TV timeout when we were sprinting into the building, I totally missed it.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Our fans also have a hard time caring because when you go into Academy or Wal-Mart anywhere but nac, you'll never find anything at all that even acknowledges SFA exists. The SFA brand is growing, but it's not something they can wear and be recognized. Alabama, Texas, OU, those are brands you can wear and people will recognize exactly who that is. I hated that I saw more Texas and Texas A&M jersey's around campus than SFA.
This is a good point. You should atleast be able to get it in most of the ones in East Texas.

I wear SFA gear & have some Texas gear. If I have on SFA gear, people are like "oh are you a student".

Nobody ever asks that when I'm wearing Texas gear. Like I don't look 20 anymore. There's just an assumption that if you're sporting gear from a non power 5 school that it must be because you're a current student. And that sucks.

That's why I always try to wear purple on fridays. All the big schools do it, people ought to recognize us.(side note, we've come a long, long way in this department, but still work to be done).
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

I was in a fraternity while I was there and we always had at least 10-15 guys attend each game. We would also invite the girls that hung around the chapter and would usually try to bring some nonmembers for recruitment purposes. I'm sad to say that now they don't go but to maybe one game a year just so they can get "credit" for some report they have to turn into the university.

I did look and there are only 900 students that are members of Greek life. That's all fraternities and sororities. I think it would be easier to target the sororities and then maybe eventually the fraternities would follow. Could go to the sorority houses and invite them to come out.

That also leaves nearly 8,300 students. Getting a 1/4 of those students to come out would make a big difference.
If we could get 100 from greek life a game & get them to sit together, that'd be an excellent development. Should be a fairly loud section.

I know Wednesday nights hurt us, not sure of the ministry specific numbers, but I know Wesley Foundation had 50+ regularly when I was there. Multiply that by Yellowhouse, the BSM, Grace College Ministry, etc and you've ruled out a decent number.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

This is a good point. You should atleast be able to get it in most of the ones in East Texas.

I wear SFA gear & have some Texas gear. If I have on SFA gear, people are like "oh are you a student".

Nobody ever asks that when I'm wearing Texas gear. Like I don't look 20 anymore. There's just an assumption that if you're sporting gear from a non power 5 school that it must be because you're a current student. And that sucks.

That's why I always try to wear purple on fridays. All the big schools do it, people ought to recognize us.(side note, we've come a long, long way in this department, but still work to be done).
Understandably, I never am asked if I am a student. I get asked if I work there.

The Academy in Lufkin generally has a fair amount of SFA gear.

Purple Friday is a thing. Of course, purple any day is good.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

Understandably, I never am asked if I am a student. I get asked if I work there.

The Academy in Lufkin generally has a fair amount of SFA gear.

Purple Friday is a thing. Of course, purple any day is good.
I'd like to see us get some in the Tyler & Longview stores for sure. Heck, I'd start buying all my SFA gear there if it meant they'd keep stocking it.
SFASawmillGuy
Kind of makes me sick that one of my favorite sports bars that does host SFA watch parties and does show SFA games when they're in lacks an SFA flag but has an ugly orange flag and blue flag.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

Kind of makes me sick that one of my favorite sports bars that does host SFA watch parties and does show SFA games when they're in lacks an SFA flag but has an ugly orange flag and blue flag.
Get them one. If you can't swing it, perhaps the Alumni Association or athletic department will.
SFAJack_76
I am pleased to see they have included home games on their calendar.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

I am pleased to see they have included home games on their calendar.

Good to see. It makes sense that the Student Activities Association would promote the Activities that the university pays the most for.
jboy93
Watched a little bit of the u of Northern Iowa game on tv today. They have an enrollment a little less that us but it looked like they had a packed house. Maybe it was because it was an espn game but still. Another mid major that looks like they can get student support. I believe we had a home and home against them a couple of years back. Would be great to get more of those going forward.
BigJack85
Competition usually spurs interest and effort. I think it would be cool if "Purple Haze" was an umbrella organization. Underneath "Purple Haze" there could be a group called "Purple Rowdies", "Axe Slayers", "Wonderman". Etc Etc. Etc. Each group could have a slightly different identity. Compete for most creative signs or just which segment is the loudest. Probably a pipe dream but that's my thought of how you spur interest and effort. Investment... Ownership .
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

Competition usually spurs interest and effort. I think it would be cool if "Purple Haze" was an umbrella organization. Underneath "Purple Haze" there could be a group called "Purple Rowdies", "Axe Slayers", "Wonderman". Etc Etc. Etc. Each group could have a slightly different identity. Compete for most creative signs or just which segment is the loudest. Probably a pipe dream but that's my thought of how you spur interest and effort. Investment... Ownership .
I agree. We need something separate for hoops in my opinion.

I watched most of the UNI game as well. Amazing crowd.
TallTexan
UNI plays in their football "arena" correct?

Sounds like an awesome crowd for having to fill up a space that large.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

UNI plays in their football "arena" correct?

Sounds like an awesome crowd for having to fill up a space that large.
No, they have a really nice basketball facility.

BigJack85
When we played UNI at home a few years ago we had a really good crowd. My daughter was in her senior year at SFA. She told me people were waiting in line/camping out for the ESPN broadcasted game.

I think we are in a lull right now. Hopefully next year we begin to rebuild our student support base.
nacluth
The UNI game was one of the few "standing room only" games I've been to at WRJ. At least two rows of people ringing the concourse. I bet we were pushing 9,000. We won that game, but up by three with seconds left, we fouled on a break away layup to send it to OT, and actually lost. Two game later, UNI went on to beat #1 UNC and then get ranked in the AP. Should be incentive for teams to come play us.
TallTexan
Gotcha. For some reason I thought they still played in the UNI Dome. I think I was reading about the UNI Dome and saw that it's where they originally hosted it.

The McLeod center looks great.
No-look
It would help if ESPN would cover our games. Watching Duke, Kentucky etc play this year the student section gets a lot of camera time. "The place to be".
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

When we played UNI at home a few years ago we had a really good crowd. My daughter was in her senior year at SFA. She told me people were waiting in line/camping out for the ESPN broadcasted game.

I think we are in a lull right now. Hopefully next year we begin to rebuild our student support base.

If I remember correctly, that game was played real early in the morning, too. I was there. They gave free tickets to hundreds of school kids. Yeah, we had that game won and gave it away.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

If I remember correctly, that game was played real early in the morning, too. I was there. They gave free tickets to hundreds of school kids. Yeah, we had that game won and gave it away.
Yeah that was part of the 24-hour tip-off marathon that they discontinued. We had a few students that camped out the night before.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

Yeah that was part of the 24-hour tip-off marathon that they discontinued. We had a few students that camped out the night before.
Somebody should bring that back.
SFAJack_76
Good grief. Still scheduling events at the same time as basketball.
PurpleOut
Staff
jboy93
This is AMAZING...and not in a good way!
TallTexan

Like, how hard is it?
PurpleOut
Staff
I just can't comprehend this.

Last time I tried to cut them some slack (very little), maybe that D-List comedian they brought it could ONLY come that night (doubtful). But some sort of random/fake birthday party? You can literally have that ANY OTHER DAY OF THE YEAR.

FFS
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Last time I tried to cut them some slack (very little), maybe that D-List comedian they brought it could ONLY come that night (doubtful). But some sort of random/fake birthday party? You can literally have that ANY OTHER DAY OF THE YEAR.

FFS
Heck, you could easily have it AT the basketball game.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

FFS
Heck, you could easily have it AT the basketball game.
Ha, I literally tweeted that to them a minute ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.