Student Support

32,914 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sounds like the association with Texas State recently started.
TallTexan
TallTexan said:

So this is born out of the Palestine Mardi Gras Parade tonight & a current twitter discussion, but I have some ideas for more "events" to pack the coliseum.

We need events for basketball to pack the stadium, teach people how to cheer, & generally make SFA basketball games a great environment. I think we need one a month or so to bring out new & old fans & keep attendance up. So here are 5 events, along with the reasoning behind each theme.

1. First game of the season.
  • Season Kickoff, double header weekday game
  • Make it required attendance for SFA 101 Classes
  • Have a decently large prize for largest organization there
  • Have Cheer Practice with an Emcee during timeouts
Good chance to set the tone for the season, teach people some "fan etiquette" to create a rowdy environment, etc.

2. Polar Express Game
  • Have Santa attend(bonus, buy a purple & white Santa suit)
  • Rent one of those mall kid's trains to run around the concourse
  • Hot Chocolate in the concessions
  • Polar Express Theme, deck WRJ in lights, kick of Christmas Season
  • 30 Time national champs can do a Polar Express themed performance
  • Half time caroling
Think this could be a huge draw for families with kids. We can sell SFA ornaments, Purple Santa hats, etc. A way to get lots of families out, but not make them sit still for 4 hours.

3. Rock The Johnson(unofficial working title):
  • This is the new Cram the Coliseum
  • Focus on getting it loud & rowdy
  • First Tailgate of the Spring(host in mid to late Jan)
  • This game needs to be must attend for all frats/sororities, even if we have to send AD to invite them personally
  • Great chance to reiterate traditions/cheers
The idea for this game would be more focused on creating a rowdy environment than simply packing the coliseum to the roof. Also would be a great chance to sell heavily discounted Spring mini plans for basketball.

4. Mardi Gras Game
  • Lots & lots of beads
  • Invite Frats/Sororities/student organizations as Krewes
  • Mardi Gras Royall Court chosen from organizations
  • Concessions: King Cake, Beignetts, Moon pies, etc
  • Post game Jazz band concert
  • Family Friendly
This is the idea I came up with tonight while at the Palestine Mardi Gras Parade. Doesn't have to be the official weekend of Mardi Gras, but close. Basically, the Sororities/Frats would team up to enter their "couple" for the Royal Court, chosen by cheers of the fans during a TV timeout. You could have a packed house with student orgs & create a raucous atmosphere for this one. Could be a cool SFA tradition too that not many other places have.

5. Senior Sendoff/Sam Game:
  • Close out home games for the year
  • Pack the house for our Seniors(they deserve it)
  • Maybe make it a throwback night
Don't have a ton of ideas for this one, just know that every year we have great lifetime Lumberjacks that deserve the proper sendoff. This doesn't have to be a theme game as such, but we do need something to make sure the house is packed.

Thoughts?
Just followed up with Ivey on these. Hope we get to see basketball in person this year.
SFAJack_76
What does "followed up" mean? Tell us more.
TallTexan
Sent an email suggesting that we implement these and asking if I could help donate for the Mardi Gras one.

Will let you guys know when I hear back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.