SFA / Lamar

14,891 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (16-3, 7-1) vs. Lamar (10-10, 4-5)

WHEN: JAN 25 (SAT) 4:30 P.M.
WHERE: Montagne Center (Beaumont, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

For the sixth time in the first nine conference games, SFA will be on the road. So far they have been perfect in SLC road travel, but that mark will be severely tested when the Lumberjacks travel to Beaumont Saturday afternoon. In his first year, Keller was able to beat Lamar the two times SFA played them, but since then Tic Price's team has won four straight. Two years ago, it kept SFA from getting a double bye; last year, it meant no trip to Katy at all. A rebuilding year of sorts is not going to keep the Cardinals from trying to play spoiler again.

No one wants this win more than John and Kevon. They know the embarrassment that their past teams have suffered, and they are ready for retribution. Neither player has ever won in Beaumont. In fact, only Nathan Bain was on the winning side in the Montagne Center when as a freshman under Brad Underwood he got 6 minutes and 2 points from the stripe in a 21 point victory. February 22, 2016. That's the second longest drought SFA has in any SLC arena save Nicholls which is two days longer. Keller and company want this win, and the third time there will be the charm.

In many ways, Lamar is a close cousin to SFA. They both score a lot of two pointers, rebound the offensive glass well, and turn other teams over. They have four players who average double digit points and a fifth at 9.9 pts/game. They play a smooth inside-out game that is focused on strong guard play. Like the Jacks, they would rather pound the paint than shoot from outside. But where this game could get ugly is on defense. Both teams are in the top 10 in forced turnovers and steals. It's gonna get physical.

Lane protection is going to be the key of this game. SFA has a hefty advantage in their scoring prowess, but whoever can keep the other from getting points up close will have the upper hand. This starts with the bigs. Kensmil, Daniels, and Solomon have shown that they have what it takes to play strong inside, but this game they need to put together a full game performance light on fouls. Obviously, the inside is going to get a lot softer if the outside shooting is hot. Davion Buster, their 5'10" guard takes almost 9 threes per game. Making sure he doesn't go off (like we've seen from so many Lamar guards of the past) will be vital.

Foul trouble has hurt the Jacks in tight games this year. The Jacks foul more than almost any team anywhere...and turn the ball over. We cannot allow the Cardinals to have 30 shots at the line or have 20 extra possessions like our stats say they will. We have to play tough and yet clean. It's been a hard line for this team not to cross, but every possession will count.

Lamar has not beat a team with a winning record all year long. They did take Sam to overtime in a game they should probably have won, but they do not have a winning mentality right now. We need to kick them while they are down. This year's Jacks are winners.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
Excellent Ryan! We are due a win against those guys.
Pilotgirl
Was in Beaumont last year for the games. Hate them so much. Need this win for so many reasons. Planning on going Sat to support both our Ladies and gents.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'll be there, too. After the Ladyjacks blast the Lady Cardinals in the first game -- which they should -- that should temper the enthusiasm of the Lamar crowd and help the Jacks get out to an early lead. Hopefully, they can build on it rather than coughing it up again, as they've shown a tendency to do several times recently.

Got to hit their free throws and avoid foul trouble!!
PurpleOut
Staff
This is a big one for me, kicking off a big stretch of games. We all know we owe the Cardinals some payback, I just hope we're ready to play like it.
RedRiverLa
Just win baby.
RichieVan
One of the issues that bothers me most is that we do not value possessions. Our turnovers are mostly from little mistakes that can be avoided. The foul shooting was a little better, 70% against NSU, and it needs to be the bottom number we should accept for any game.
No-look
Every game is very important but we have to have this one. With ACU, Sam and Nicholls coming up it will be a fight. Nicholls only faces Sam, McNeese and us as being teams with winning records. We need to win out. One game at a time.
wahlwesle
I was really confident in our ability to win until I read this post.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Foul trouble has hurt the Jacks in tight games this year. The Jacks foul more than almost any team anywhere...and turn the ball over. We cannot allow the Cardinals to have 30 shots at the line or have 20 extra possessions like our stats say they will. We have to play tough and yet clean. It's been a hard line for this team not to cross, but every possession will count.
The comment about fouling more than almost any team is accurate with SFA being #345 out of 350 D1 teams.

Interestingly:

NSU- 320
SLU- 325
ACU - 333
Sam - 336
UCA - 338
HBU - 347

Pilotgirl
I blame Southland refs.
TallTexan
With half the league doing that badly, it's definitely stems from the quality of the southland refs.
RedRiverLa
Sorry to somewhat hijack this thread, but this is a great read on Underwood

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/court-report-illinois-is-ncaa-tournament-bound-because-brad-underwood-admitted-defeat-and-changed-his-style/?fbclid=IwAR1ueHuQmGAXIQJx7irlx3JcfVXBXWUgeggKsw-UMlR-vli65wvgIFS9QW8
cboothe09
You always know what you're getting when you play Lamar. They are physical and play on the edge. Not quite dirty, but push you around enough to develop a reputation.

As for this year's edition of the Cardinals? Not as scary as recent years, but more balanced now that they have adjusted to life without Weisbrod. We are the favorites and rightfully so, but this isn't a team that can be overlooked. I know it is hard not to peek ahead to next week (vs. ACU; @ SHSU), but Lamar is capable of knocking off a top team.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

I blame Southland refs.

Agree.
CertifiedAxeman98
I hope to be there tomorrow with the family. Never been there before but my mother In-law and father in-law went to Lamar so will take some pics and drive through campus before we go to the game. Probably won't be able to make it there until halftime of the women's game.
HJC69
Me too!
nacluth
Game day!!! Plan is to score close, early, and often.

sfa17
Finally a game on ESPN plus
sfa17
Solomon starting
RichieVan
Gotta hit the easy inside bunnies
Pilotgirl
Cant buy a bucket right now....their bigs are tall...hopefully we can tire them out

And LU getting their offensive rebounds
RedRiverLa
I don't even begin to worry until the second half, big leads, big deficits always seem to evaporate to make it a cardiac finish. We should be much better than a 10-10 team even at home. As long as we're 1 point better.
BigJack85
To many loose ball turnovers.
nacluth
This is going to be a depth game. They play 7, we play 10. It's going to be a tough second half.
nacluth
Doing great with our fouls, but shooting horribly. Calm it down and we'll be good.
Rev007
Not sure what is wrong with Kevon, but really poor play. Reminds me of Alabama game.
nacluth
A million travels.
Rev007
How did this team beat Duke? How do they get back to playing at that level?
Pilotgirl
Rev007 said:

Not sure what is wrong with Kevon, but really poor play. Reminds me of Alabama game.

But for real...these refs are HORRIBLE. Sitting by Ed. He concurs.
nacluth
They have to have nothing to lose.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Rev007 said:

Need to get him to hook you up with a cruise. He owns either Royal Caribbean or Carnival, but I can never remember which.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

Rev007 said:

Need to get him to hook you up with a cruise. He owns either Royal Caribbean or Carnival, but I can never remember which.

Working on it...
nacluth
John has 10 of our 18 points.
nacluth
Commentator says Lamar has a double bonus. We have committed 6 fouls in 15 minutes.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.