SFA / Lamar

15,087 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lamar scoreless for 4 minutes. Huge defense.
nacluth
Ed doesn't look happy. Come on we're up by 8 with 40 seconds left.
nacluth
Kevon, John, and Keller get their first win in Beaumont! Axe 'em baby!
Rev007
John "Mr. Hustle" Comeaux...Outstanding game!!!
sfa17
Great performance from John
Pilotgirl
John was so pumped the whole game. He wanted this W.
nacluth
Comeaux: 18pts., 3 reb, 2 ast, 4 stl
Harris: 15pts, 1 reb, 6 ast, 5 stl
Solomon: 4pts, 11 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl
Kensmil: 8 pts, 9 reb, 1 ast
Ware: 12pts, 2 reb, 1 ast, 2 stl

Solid night from the starters. Bench struggled a little, but they did their job and kept our starters fresh. Depth won.
MasterAxe
File this under the "I don't care how we won, as long as we won and once again come through with the awesome late 2nd half surge for the cover."

Lamar +5...loser.
BigJack85
Mr. Hustle is right !!!
nacluth
Lamar had one field goal in the last 6:29 after spending most of the game around 50% shooting.
nacluth
Great job in Beaumont today. Lumberjacks 17-3 (8-1) & Ladyjacks 15-3 (8-1).
wahlwesle
nacluth said:

Solomon: 4pts, 11 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl

Not to take away from the other players, but 11 rebounds is huge, especially for a freshman.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Are you saying that I made it onto the interwebs???
No-look
Winning those road games!
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Are you saying that I made it onto the interwebs???
Indeed, but you looked nervous.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Yeah, Solomon played a solid game on the boards. Lamar had some muscle in the paint but we had a little more. I listened to Tic Price's post game show on the Beaumont radio station and he was all praise for SFA's toughness. Tic Price is a first class Coach.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I WAS! But Pilotgirl was there to calm me down.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I was also following UCA blowing a 4 point lead in the last 11 seconds in regulation and a one point lead with 3 seconds left in OT vs. ACU. So, I was not a happy camper about that either.
SFAJack_76
It's always interesting to catch up on game threads after it is over. The gamut of emotions is rich. Depth won this game.

Comeaux had a great game back home. Good for him. Solomon is a rebounding beast. When he learns to contribute on the offensive end, look out. Kevon was 0-6, then went 4-5. The good ones find a way to work through the rough spots. Experience will do that. Cam is in a real funk. I saw him and spoke with him briefly Monday at the radio show. He seemed okay, but it was brief. Kensmil is a big guy that needs to get back to playing big. Seven turnovers is unacceptable. Nine rebounds is the plus. Eleven minutes from Daniels. Look for him to get back to 15-20 to bolster the inside game.

ACU on Wednesday. Part of a double header following the first place Ladyjacks huge game.
SFAJack_76
Another random observation is that this forum was much more active last season when we were bad. There were more posts from more people. We seem to have lost breadth and diversity of posters. Not good in my opinion.
BigJack85
Great perspective 76! Agree that most of our needed improvements are at the margins. Getting good play in some facets, lacking in others. Clean up the turnovers a little along with more consistency at the line and we start pulling away earlier.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Another random observation is that this forum was much more active last season when we were bad. There were more posts from more people. We seem to have lost breadth and diversity of posters. Not good in my opinion.

People love to pipe up and criticize more when we are down. That's my opinion.....Loved being there to support our teams today! Since I moved, we can only make Sat games but uts great to make some away games bc they need that much more support. It was also great to meet Ed, too

When compared to the few other SL boards out there, we are the #1 ....no competition for user friendliness and participation!
RedRiverLa
Another FSA road win! FSA! FSA! Gotta love announcers who don't do any homework.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

I agree in large part. I don't believe it's a bad thing that we have vocal fans. We probably have the most active board in the conference. I was "nasty" at times. Sometimes too negative, admittedly. That being said I still believe there's room for constructive criticism.
nacluth
I think there's a variety of reasons that our more random posters haven't found us this year.

First is probably the stagnation of our front page. Nothing new and with football stories up and only old, old basketball articles, it makes it look like we're a dead site unless you click into the forums.

Then, we came off a rough year. That hurts even if they we're talking last year. I know some of the conversations got heated, and I had to get rid of some posters. I think that negativity makes it hard to come back.

Hopefully people can feel comfortable here and not feel like they have to be some kind of expert. I know I post too much - especially during games. I like reading people's reactions in real time. And like you 76, I love going back and reviewing the threads. I post a lot to frame the game in retrospect. Hopefully I'm not driving people away.

The main thing I miss is the postgame reaction. It used to be that more people would give their personal recaps. We get it sometimes still, but not as much as we used to.

This was a big game. I've checked a hundred times already to see people's feelings on this one. Thanks for posting yours. Everyone else is invited too. Also, if anyone has suggestions to help get more people in, let us know.
Pilotgirl
Don't know if it was noticable on screen or not but we had 2 gritty wins. Both ref crews were awful. Was surprised no one got hurt. Well, Gavin came limping off. I was super proud of BOTH teams, for different reasons. The Ladies fought hard to come back. Zya was a big spark. They never gave up. The Men had horrible foul calls against them and instead of it getting the best of them, they used it to fuel their win. Yes, the shots weren't going in and still stinking it up with our FT% BUT they kept up with the defensive pressure and others stepped up when needed (thank you depth). Solomon's rebounds were huge and John led the team like a Senior should.
jboy93
I was out all day and just saw the big W! I too like reading the post if not able to keep up with the game in real time. I do not have a basketball background so I just go by the eye test. That being said, for the most part I like what I see this year. I love going to games and just rooting for the Lumberjacks! Go JACKS!
jboy93
From the games I have seen in person and from most of the posts on here, can't the league do something about the refs? There are levels of bad and this league takes the cake!
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

You're right, but my memory is that is was a lot
Of one and doners who just got on here to bash Keller, the players and call for the coach's firing. Several of them were just plain nasty personal attacks that brought nothing to a basketball discussion. IMHO this year it has reverted back to more intelligent posting, so last years diversity wasn't really a good thing from my perspective. Quality not quantity is what makes this board unique and enjoyable to me.
fountainhs
Overall, this was a nice win for the Jacks. I have come to terms that this team plays up and down on their competition on a weekly basis. That being said, having had the opportunity to go to the game last night and talking to some of their fans, this was the biggest crowd they have had at a game all year. Since we beat Duke and have a good reputation as a basketball program over the past 8 years, often we are the best team that a team like Lamar gets to host all year. They pulled out all the stops to get people into the stands. This next three game stretch is huge for us. It allows us the opportunity to put a gap between us and the competition for first place in the tourney. I know I am all over the place, but I would also be intrigued to see where we get seeded if we win out? 30-3 would be impressive.
SFA Jack Fanatic
fountainhs said:

This next three game stretch is huge for us. It allows us the opportunity to put a gap between us and the competition for first place in the tourney.

The next three are certainly huge, but playing two of them at home is huge, too, especially if we get big crowds that are loud and rowdy.

Man, I hope the lackadaisical students get active. What is wrong with them???
RedRiverLa
I know we have a transfer thread, but I don't think it gets in front of as many eyes, so I have my two season tickets available for Wednesday and I'd hate for them to go unused, so message me on here if you want them.
SFAJack_76
Appreciate the feedback on my forum comments. All are right in line with my thoughts. Some last year were ridiculously over the top led by one that kept getting reincarnated. Glad they are gone.

No doubt we have the best message board in the SLC, and I hope it gets better. Getting back to having some articles, premium or not, would help I think. Particularly right now where there just isn't much on the SFA site beyond regurgitating what you can get from the box score.

I am good with people posting during a game. I found last season that when it is a game I am attending, that I can't pay attention to the game and post. That's just me. Often, I will catch up at halftime and add anything I think might be of interest.

Carry on Sawmillers. I appreciate you.
RichieVan
I did not know the announcers were fans of flexible spending accounts.
RedRiverLa
Neither did they.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.