SFA / Northwestern State

11,822 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (15-3, 6-1) vs. Northwestern St. (7-9, 4-3)

WHEN: JAN 22 (WED) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: Prather Coliseum (Natchitoches, LA)
WATCH: NSUDemons.com ($)

Well, here we are. Seven games into the season sitting in first place with a 6-1 record in the SLC. The Jacks have done it by playing 6 teams with a losing record - currently McNeese is the only team above the .500 mark. However, that now changes as the Lumberjacks face winning teams 4 out the next 5 games - the one sole exception is playing the Keller nemesis Lamar in Beaumont. This stretch of games is where we get to find out the mettle of this year's team. It all starts across the Sabine with our purple rival - the aptly named Demons.

Northwestern St. - somehow still coached by Mike McConathy (didn't he go on a farewell tour two seasons ago?) - is off to their best conference start in some time. They have done it by reloading their roster with transfers and overseas recruits. The Jacks will face one of the tougher inside threats of the year in Chudier Bile (6'6" Jr. SF) who is averaging about 13 points and 7.5 rebounds a game. He is supported by Jairus Roberson (6'2" Jr. G) transfer from Trinity Valley JC and Nikos Chougaz (6'10" Fr. G) from Greece who has to be the tallest person listed in a Southland backcourt.

The Demons are playing very average offense, but they limit teams' possessions by wasting the clock. This helps to overcome their poor defense. The also foul a lot deep into a defensive possession forcing teams to be sharp from the line. They are not going to overwhelm the Jacks - even though they are willing to play all 13 players on the bench in any game, but they will try to frustrate the Jacks by throwing the game's rhythm off. If you have watched any of the frustrating games in the last couple of years in Natchitoches, then you will have an idea of what their game plan is.

The Jacks however are still the stronger team in almost every facet. Criticisms have been lodged against the team that they have been playing down to their opponents - even when winning by 24 points. Still waiting on Daniels to be cleared to play and without Nathan Bain, the Lumberjacks have the talent and game plan to make this year's trip to our sister city a better one. It starts with shooting a high percentage of shots. Despite the lapses in offense seen in the last couple of games, SFA is still pouring their shots through the net at around 50%. Kevon, Cam, and now David and Roti are filling up the bucket with some regularity. For a Demons team that struggles keeping teams from scoring, this will be a priority.

Again, free throws will be a factor, but if this game is decided by them, then the Jacks haven't been pushing the pace enough. Stopping their not-so-big guy low will be tough for Kensmil and Solomon, but if they can do it without picking up too many fouls, then the pressure on their guards will be too much. We need to score in any way, but the more our defense can force fast-break points, the better our margin of victory in this game.

The Jacks always have a tough one in Prather, but this year there is hope that it will be with a little less drama.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
I think this is going to be very tough.
SFA Jack Fanatic
This one really worries me due to our injury situation.

We need Daniels back for inside depth. Any word on Comeaux? Concussion protocol?
nacluth
PurpleOut said:

I think this is going to be very tough.
Could be. I didn't mention the last couple of games in the write up. McNeese basically controlled their game with Northwestern leading most of the second half by 10 points.

Last Wednesday Nicholls led most of the time in a tight game. At the end, Nicholls was up by 4 with 11 seconds left! They let the Demons run the court and score a dunk in 4 seconds. Colonels are fouled with 6 seconds left, miss both free throws, allow NWST to come back down and drain a three to lose at the buzzer. So, we face a 4-3 team instead of a 3-4 team.

They have been on a bye for a week planning for us, so it could be tough.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

We need Daniels back for inside depth. Any word on Comeaux? Concussion protocol?
Comeaux practiced yesterday. He is okay. Daniels was at practice, but no contact.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Comeaux practiced yesterday. He is okay. Daniels was at practice, but no contact.

If we can only get one of the two back, that's the one.
wahlwesle
I agree, but it sure would be nice to have a second big to go against theirs. I wasn't entirely impressed with Gavin's ability to play against UIW's tall guy. Maybe it was just me, but it felt like he struggled some.
cboothe09
This is a game on paper, where we should run away. Add in the rivalry, the fact we are on the road, and our ability to play to the level of our opponent? This has the makings of an upset, but I think we avoid the loss...This should be our toughest game until going to Sam. I think ACU is good, but I think we handle them at home.
nacluth
Game day!!! Time to drain those buckets however we can.

nacluth
10.5 point favorites. Feels about right.
jboy93

GO JACKS!
TallTexan
I am highly perturbed by the PPV broadcast.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

I am highly perturbed by the PPV broadcast.

Should I just watch the Ladies again and not pay ...Cuz I did that last time and I was happy.
No-look
Keller needs to tell players right before game that they will be on national tv tonight. Maybe that will motivate everyone. Lol
nacluth
Charlie is going to play some tonight. Only Bain out.
nacluth
Wish all first buckets were so easy
SFA Jack Fanatic
Hart getting more early minutes.
nacluth
I think someone said last game was the best start of the year. This is another blistering start. Who are these Jacks? I like them.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I wonder if there's been a change of "hart" by the coaches in his situation?
PurpleOut
Staff
Stats have Daniels in?
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I think someone said last game was the best start of the year. This is another blistering start. Who are these Jacks? I like them.
Let's see if we go into another mid-game funk like the last two games.
nacluth
On pace to win 135 to 19. If we do that I'm buying a Sawmill suite at the NCAA's.
nacluth
In
No-look
Video feed going in and out.
SFA Jack Fanatic
How is Comeaux doing? He hasn't scored.
nacluth
He's done fine as a distributor and causing problems.
nacluth
17 point lead early. Keep it rolling. I have personal duties for an hour. Hold it up guys.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Foul trouble. Ten already.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

17 point lead early. Keep it rolling. I have personal duties for an hour. Hold it up guys.
Oh great, the jinx is on.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Has the funk started?
sfa17
So we do know how to make free throws
Pilotgirl
Ladyjacks up 40 -12 at the half. Wow.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I wonder if there's been a change of "hart" by the coaches in his situation?

Three fouls in three minutes will limit playing time.
No-look
That 3 that kissed off the glass was a freak sho5 for the Demons.
BigJack85
Great start that turned out to be just "ok"......
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.