SFA / Northwestern State (2)

33,486 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by No-look
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (13-10, 6-5) vs. Northwestern St. (9-16, 4-8)

WHEN: FEB. 16 (SAT) 3:30 P.M.
WHERE: Prather Coliseum (Natchitoches, LA)
WATCH: ESPN+

The first conference rematch of the 2019 season will take place at our sister city across the Sabine Saturday afternoon where the Jacks will try to exorcise the Demons' last second tip-in that cost them round one. The first meeting in WRJ was not very remarkable on any level save for Ishmael Lane's middle finger that ended the game in heartbreak fashion for the home crowd.

The two teams played sloppy and neither could exert much control in the game. The Demons jumped to a 10 point lead late in the first half, but the Jacks erased it quickly in the second and sat in the driver's seat. With five minutes remaining SFA found its squad up 5 - an unusual position for them this year. As if recognizing that it was not a mentality they were used to, the Jacks gave up the lead quickly to play their more common role of underdogs. However, after evening the game with one minute left, no team could score until the buzzer. An odd game that saw the home team play with a quiet confidence that they would win but never with a killer instinct to finish the game. Maybe things will be different in Louisiana.

Against McNeese, the Lumberjacks demonstrated the ability to rotate line-ups in and out of the game leading to mismatches that helped SFA build momentum. This was not the case the first time SFA played Northwestern St. We had the starters play almost the entire game without substitution - save Aaron Augustin whose final performance in a SFA uniform saw him nab 21 minutes off the bench. With the intensity that the Demons interior players bring (especially Lane), it will be nice to have fresh bigs continue to harass them through the afternoon. Will a variety of looks be the secret to getting through the week undefeated?

SFA is sitting in sole position of fifth at 6-5. Two of their next three games are against teams that will almost assuredly miss the trip to Katy. The Jacks need to handle business and keep themselves in position to take advantage of any mis-steps of the teams in front of them. The next goal begins with a win in Natchitoches.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Pilotgirl
I will be there for the Ladies and Gents! Anyone else going?
nacluth
I'm going to try to make the men's game. I have a conflict that will keep from getting there for the women's game.
TallTexan
We thought about making the drive, but this week has kicked our tails.
TallTexan
Given that Kevon has been drawing fouls like a magnet, I hope part of our early game strategy is running straight at ShaqStarterPack and trying to get him in foul trouble early.

Last time, he was in foul trouble early, but during the last 5 minutes he had four fouls and we never really tried to draw the 5th...and we all know how that turned out.
nacluth
Game Day!!!! Time to beat the Demons. Here's how I feel every time we go to play them.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Well Nacluth, I guess this is a sign then.

BigJack85
If we can get some solid minutes from Oddyst and Gru we should be able to keep this one close. We've finished strong in most of our contests recently so.... the key in my mind is keeping it close and using Kevon the way Nacluth has described makes tons of sense.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
On my way! If you are traveling too, safe journey & AxeEm
nacluth
The stars have aligned...
TallTexan
I must say, every time I see volleyball lines on a court, I'm real glad that SFA has separate facilities. WRJ looks so much nicer.
nacluth
Same starting lineup as Wednesday. Hope for the same start.
TallTexan
Tipoff at 3:32.
nacluth
Bogues!
TallTexan
I miss Keller's decidedly 80s blazers.
nacluth
Free throws for Kevon? oK
TallTexan
I definitely like Fitz coming off the bench.
RedRiverLa
Oh Gru...
nacluth
Gru gets 3:30
TallTexan
Nieminen was the 2nd highest rated HS player from Finland? Wow.
nacluth
Honestly kind of feel like last week. Strong start by the Demons, but we're really doing what we want. We'll cut down on the open looks for them and should be able to roll in this game.
RedRiverLa
Broken record - outrebounded 7-1, 4 open 3s.
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

Honestly kind of feel like last week. Strong start by the Demons, but we're really doing what we want. We'll cut down on the open looks for them and should be able to roll in this game.
I hope you're right, but the Demons are better than the Cowboys - and Ishmael Lane is not going away.
nacluth
Bogues' hand feels better.
Pilotgirl
These 3's....ugggggh
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Bogues' hand feels better.

Yes...he is pumped
TallTexan
You knock Kevon down and it's traveling? Come on now.
nacluth
Nice Mitch
TallTexan
That was a heck of a block by Mitch.
RedRiverLa
We're pretty much one and done on our shots, so we better make because we aren't going to get the rebound.
nacluth
Two ugly three looks by Fitz
nacluth
Bogues getting rest so Mitch doing work.
TallTexan
I like these announcers.
TallTexan
I think Comeaux, Harris, Bogues, Bain, & Seraille is our best lineup.
nacluth
More Bogues please

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.