SFA / McNeese

32,028 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MasterAxe said:

10 points wins for us, at this point, feel like 35 point massacres.

Ain't that the truth!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Don't know if it's sad to say.....but it's a true statement for this season.
Pilotgirl
69 all 2 seconds left
Pilotgirl
Sam wins by 1 whew! (We need the CC loss)
BigJack85
In my estimation we left 7 points on the table at the free throw line. With that we could have pulled away earlier and worked some of the younger guys more. I guess it's just a part of the team we are today.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
jboy93
On the brighter side of things. How bout those Ladyjacks?!?!? Lots of W's being strung together!
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl said:

Sam wins by 1 whew! (We need the CC loss)

Yeah sucks to say it, but at this point it's better for us for Sam to beat whoever is ahead of us.
SFA Jack Fanatic
HBU beats UCA, which helps us, too.
TallTexan
You know, I like the John, Bogues, Kevon, Bain, Bystander lineup.

That's the closest we've been getting to the Lumberjacks of old lately with turning Defense into offense.
TallTexan
Bystander is a little unfair, but I definitely think Mitch/Fitz are the best options there.
No-look
Not pretty but got the W. Played better defensively. On to the next one.
nacluth
Ok here's another installment of completely meaningless postgame shower thoughts.

McNeese is bad, and man this was a good time to play them. It was clear two minutes in that they were going to lose because they had no interior presence. If Gru looks like a capable player - moving his man, blocking out, demanding passes, then the other team will lose. Period. And good on Jovan for taking the shots when he had the chance. No he didn't make them, but he took the shot like a player should. Jovan won the game for me 150 seconds in.

I will take a 10 point win against any team at any time and call it a good win. We played a really nice first half right up until about two and a half minutes left. I loved the rotate early and often approach. We had 8 different scorers in the first half. We had interior cuts, we had steals, we had REBOUNDS. We finished the game before the final media timeout. There was plenty of improvement.

One could argue that we wouldn't have had the same success against a stronger team. Well maybe so, but this is who we played today. We got Northwestern State on Saturday. They will be a bigger challenge, but hopefully we'll improve on the team mentality.

We almost had 9 players with 10 minutes of play. Legs seemed better overall (save Nate's). Everyone played meaningful minutes and no one really screwed up. Mitch played very efficiently again. 7 points in 12 minutes with a couple assists. Oddyst took the fouls but was active. Good freshman minutes in my book. Hopefully Jock can join the party before the end of the month.

Wade Mason in the postgame said that the veterans were confident about Katy but think that they just need to get there. He talked about getting the right attitude about building momentum going into Katy - not just limp in. Hopefully the team buys in and puts in the effort to push.

Before the game I thought we had five wins in the final eight games. I think four assures us of a trip to Katy; 7 assures us of a bye. After the game, we have one win. I still think 4 out of 7 is about right, but we have three winnable games in a row. And we're still one real game back from fourth place. Let's do what we can and see if the field comes to us.

Good win. Axe 'em Jacks!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Two all-time Jacks.

SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

What happened with Kevon and John?
In case you didn't get an answer, Kevon got pushed into John by McNeese #5. Refs all missed it.
SFAJack_76
Anybody that questions Bain's willingness and drive needs to go somewhere else. To even imply that he is overplaying/faking pain is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Dude is a baller.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Anybody that questions Bain's willingness and drive needs to go somewhere else. To even imply that he is overplaying/faking pain is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Dude is a baller.

YES. POST WINNER OF THIS THREAD
SFAJack_76
Shannon may be having some physical issues, but I suspect it is more mental. The best free throw shooter on the team has lost confidence. He looks relieved when a free throw drops, rather than surprise when one misses. Missing TJ this season is huge. Shannon having to play large minutes at point may even be bigger. He is gutting it out, and has clearly not given up, but he is clearly not confident in his shot. He passed on open threes last night.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

This...... Also I loved hustle of John. He disrupted some people.
No-look
Anyone know why Shannon seems to not be up to his norm? He looks like he playing hurt at times. Only attempted one or two threes. Almost air balled a free throw. Played good, just looked not up to speed. Edit: Sorry, I missed Jack 76 post on this..
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

What happened with Kevon and John?
In case you didn't get an answer, Kevon got pushed into John by McNeese #5. Refs all missed it.
Yeah, this was literally the exact same play that they called a foul on Bain for a few trips earlier. Dribble hand off.

Keller said in the post game that the starting lineup changed because of those that practiced hard/well. That's fine and understandable. Good for Gru that he's trying in practice but it doesn't translate to the game.

I agree that Comeaux, Bogues, Harris, Bain and Fitz/Mitch is the lineup. I made the same comment during the last 4-5 minutes of the game. Comeaux is still our best on ball defender and is a big threat to get up the court quicker than anyone not named Bogues.

Keller also mentioned how much he liked having a threat off the bench, which I agree with, and unfortunately don't have. So I think I'd give Mitch another shot at starting. He started a few games early in the season and maybe it'd help boost his overall confidence in himself and the team. And bring Fitz off the bench like last night.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Ok here's another installment of completely meaningless postgame shower thoughts.

McNeese is bad, and man this was a good time to play them. It was clear two minutes in that they were going to lose because they had no interior presence. If Gru looks like a capable player - moving his man, blocking out, demanding passes, then the other team will lose. Period. And good on Jovan for taking the shots when he had the chance. No he didn't make them, but he took the shot like a player should. Jovan won the game for me 150 seconds in.

I will take a 10 point win against any team at any time and call it a good win. We played a really nice first half right up until about two and a half minutes left. I loved the rotate early and often approach. We had 8 different scorers in the first half. We had interior cuts, we had steals, we had REBOUNDS. We finished the game before the final media timeout. There was plenty of improvement.

One could argue that we wouldn't have had the same success against a stronger team. Well maybe so, but this is who we played today. We got Northwestern State on Saturday. They will be a bigger challenge, but hopefully we'll improve on the team mentality.

We almost had 9 players with 10 minutes of play. Legs seemed better overall (save Nate's). Everyone played meaningful minutes and no one really screwed up. Mitch played very efficiently again. 7 points in 12 minutes with a couple assists. Oddyst took the fouls but was active. Good freshman minutes in my book. Hopefully Jock can join the party before the end of the month.

Wade Mason in the postgame said that the veterans were confident about Katy but think that they just need to get there. He talked about getting the right attitude about building momentum going into Katy - not just limp in. Hopefully the team buys in and puts in the effort to push.

Before the game I thought we had five wins in the final eight games. I think four assures us of a trip to Katy; 7 assures us of a bye. After the game, we have one win. I still think 4 out of 7 is about right, but we have three winnable games in a row. And we're still one real game back from fourth place. Let's do what we can and see if the field comes to us.

Good win. Axe 'em Jacks!

Your analysis is about the way I see it. I would like to see Mitch get more time. A few mistakes is better that the lack of offensive flow we get with Gru. To me Gru goes in for 3 - 4 minutes at the end of the first half and the middle of the second to give some guys a break.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

I think they are drama queens sorry... If you are hurt enough to have to have 2 guys help you off the floor and take you out of the GAME for only a few minutes... Just saying he is soft along withvsome of the others thats all.. I am sure Nate is a real baller 76 but all these guys with the drama.. I see it with the High School kids I work with.. There is difference between pain and being hurt... You play with pain and you cant play when you are hurt...
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Keller also mentioned how much he liked having a threat off the bench, which I agree with, and unfortunately don't have. So I think I'd give Mitch another shot at starting. He started a few games early in the season and maybe it'd help boost his overall confidence in himself and the team. And bring Fitz off the bench like last night.

I totally agree with this. Mitch should be starting and playing at least 20 minutes per game. Just his amazing leaping ability for rebounds and blocks gives him the edge over Fitz.

And Nacluth, your comment about Gru winning the game for us in the first few minutes was just a bit of a stretchhhhhhhhhh. In my opinion, when Gru starts a game, no matter how well he did in practice, we're diving into some deep doo doo.
TallTexan
I like Fitz off the bench to give us a spark and I think it suits his game. From watching him play, he obviously views himself as a scorer and isn't afraid to take shots.

Let him try to be lightning in a bottle. Plus, Fitz is feast or famine, which is fine off the bench. If he doesn't score during a 3 minute run, you just put the starter back in and then unleash him again in a few minutes to try again.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I think they are drama queens sorry... If you are hurt enough to have to have 2 guys help you off the floor and take you out of the GAME for only a few minutes... Just saying he is soft along withvsome of the others thats all.. I am sure Nate is a real baller 76 but all these guys with the drama.. I see it with the High School kids I work with.. There is difference between pain and being hurt... You play with pain and you cant play when you are hurt...

I completely disagree with this. I've had back problems and have fallen on the floor in pain from something as simple as trying sitting on the couch.

Like, from standing, living life normally, fit and active to literally falling like a deadman onto the floor.

Couple minutes of stretching later after the initial shock wears off and I could walk/move normally again. Back pain is no joke.

If it was one of the other guys, maybe, but Bain took a shot to the jewels a few weeks ago and walked it off during a free throw and continued to play.

I haven't seen anything in his game to suggest that he'd fake that for attention.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I completely disagree with this. I've had back problems and have fallen on the floor in pain from something as simple as trying sitting on the couch.

Like, from standing, living life normally, fit and active to literally falling like a deadman onto the floor.

Couple minutes of stretching later after the initial shock wears off and I could walk/move normally again. Back pain is no joke.

If it was one of the other guys, maybe, but Bain took a shot to the jewels a few weeks ago and walked it off during a free throw and continued to play.

I haven't seen anything in his game to suggest that he'd fake that for attention.
I guess i am just too critical sometimes Texan.. I am sure back pain is mess to deal with..

another reason I like this forum we can disagree on something and still get along..
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

PurpleOut said:

I totally agree with this. Mitch should be starting and playing at least 20 minutes per game. Just his amazing leaping ability for rebounds and blocks gives him the edge over Fitz.

And Nacluth, your comment about Gru winning the game for us in the first few minutes was just a bit of a stretchhhhhhhhhh. In my opinion, when Gru starts a game, no matter how well he did in practice, we're diving into some deep doo doo.

I also agree with this. Mitch should be seeing more time while Sammi and Gru just fill in the gaps. Frankly that may be part of the strategy to keep Mitch in his lane and on the Keller Krew along with getting us to Katy.

Our starting five barring injury should be Comeaux, Bogues, Harris, Fitz and Seraille. With Sammi logging time at the 4 slot and Bain pulling duty at the 3 Gru can work the low post a few minutes here and there for what it's worth.
PurpleOut
Staff
I should have also added that the issue with Mitch (somewhat assuming), is that his inexperience at this level is making it tough on him. Not fully understanding plays, assignments, overall speed of the college game. It's tough on any freshman to be honest, but I think that's probably why we don't see him quite as much.

But at the same time, at this point, I don't see that we have much to lose. For such an athletic team, we're still pretty stagnant overall, and it's not really winning games (and the games that we do win are way to close). Why not open it up more?
Ljacks&Longnecks
Agree at this point that I'd like to see Mitch get more minutes and college game experience, prepare him for the next 3 years. Same with Jock when he returns..at least give him some minutes and try to add another scorer to the mix.
PurpleOut
Staff
Also noticed that Jock didn't have any brace or anything on his hand last night. Wonder when he'll be fully back and ready. Could use the minutes if nothing else.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Also noticed that Jock didn't have any brace or anything on his hand last night. Wonder when he'll be fully back and ready. Could use the minutes if nothing else.

I know he's playing from behind sometimes on D, but he's one of our only small guards I've seen trying to block shots against opposing bigs in the lane.

Plus, I'd like to see if he can score off the bench.
Jacks4460
PurpleOut said:

He will miss the next game and then be ready for the next..
TallTexan
Thanks for the info.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Thanks for the info.
He said he will play the last 7-8 games..
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

I should have also added that the issue with Mitch (somewhat assuming), is that his inexperience at this level is making it tough on him. Not fully understanding plays, assignments, overall speed of the college game. It's tough on any freshman to be honest, but I think that's probably why we don't see him quite as much.

But at the same time, at this point, I don't see that we have much to lose. For such an athletic team, we're still pretty stagnant overall, and it's not really winning games (and the games that we do win are way to close). Why not open it up more?
Agree with Mitch and his inexperience. Also, it seems when he did start that he tended to get in early foul trouble. I wonder if watching the flow of the game from the bench to start settles him some. He plays with a very high motor that tends to rev out of control.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.