SFA / McNeese

31,811 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigJack85
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Anybody that questions Bain's willingness and drive needs to go somewhere else. To even imply that he is overplaying/faking pain is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Dude is a baller.
This...... Also I loved hustle of John. He disrupted some people.
Spot on about Comeaux. Clearly he was not feeling well, but his on ball defense the last five minutes was exceptional. He personally caused two shot clock violations. And, he was considerate enough to pick up the phone for that guy that got it knocked out of his hands by a ball that John batted out. Six surgeries that young man has had so he can play the sport he loves. Dude.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

I should have also added that the issue with Mitch (somewhat assuming), is that his inexperience at this level is making it tough on him. Not fully understanding plays, assignments, overall speed of the college game. It's tough on any freshman to be honest, but I think that's probably why we don't see him quite as much.

But at the same time, at this point, I don't see that we have much to lose. For such an athletic team, we're still pretty stagnant overall, and it's not really winning games (and the games that we do win are way to close). Why not open it up more?
Agree with Mitch and his inexperience. Also, it seems when he did start that he tended to get in early foul trouble. I wonder if watching the flow of the game from the bench to start settles him some. He plays with a very high motor that tends to rev out of control.
Agreed. He still seems to play that way, as far as getting in foul trouble. He did better last night and overall was very efficient.

But I remember a play in the UCA game where he swiped at a ball and knocked it lose, did it again, and tried a 3rd time and committed the foul. Have to learn to just let it go when you already have multiple fouls. Normally I think we're good with that aggressiveness, but with such a short bench...
CertifiedAxeman98
Good to have a win. Good to have Comeaux play back to back 20+ minutes hopefully that means his is healing up to a point he can play full on.

Need more than 13% from 3 and 62% from the line to beat TAMU-CC.

Would like to see Seraille get a little more time on the court.

Can't wait to have Hughes back. He seemed to be defending really well before he got hurt and that is something this team needs. When he comes back they also need to find a way to get him open from deep. Drive and kick out with a screen or something to get the guy an open look.

Not sure how you can start a guy who's stat line reads like this:
McNeese - 0-2, 2 turnovers the rest all 0's
Lamar - 1 block, the rest all 0's
HBU - 0-1, 3 fouls, the rest 0's

Kind of reminds me of the SNL skit about the Cavs and LeBron where the one guy says he averages 0 points, 0 assists, and 6 fouls.
nacluth
Coach said Jovan and John got the start because of how much hustle they have been showing in practice, and he wanted to reward them. I think the guys like that - that coach will reward the hard work. He also said Fitz didn't sulk about it - just got in and handled his business.

If it takes Gru getting every start to get those guys to turn it up, then I think it helps. The team was up to start the game and Jovan stopped some guys at the start. No good stat line numbers but we were plus when he was in.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

He said he will play the last 7-8 games..

Hope that's right. We need his minutes. His shooting will probably be off initially, but that will come with time. Maybe he can provide a key play here and there that'll win a game down the stretch. He seems to be in good spirits and supportive of his teammates during timeouts, and that's good to see. I still think he'll be a big-time scorer from three in the next couple of years.
CertifiedAxeman98
There is a relatively new trend in baseball where a team uses a relief pitcher for the first inning then you bring in your starter. Not sure that will be a thing in other sports but the idea of starting someone on the front end to extend other guys later in the game especially if that motivates other guys is something I can see trying if it works out then great but not sure you want to do it every game especially since SFA tends to get behind early in games.

I heard Keller's reason for starting Gru and I'm not in the loop on what goes on in practice or in the locker room just an outside observer and see what goes on during the game. I do agree that stats don't always tell the whole story. It is like when you are trying to lose weight and the scale doesn't move or may even go up but you are able to move your belt one notch tighter.

Since we don't have Augustin defending and stealing balls, Comeaux needs to be your PG work horse assuming he is healthy enough for that and I like that he got the start and played more than 20 minutes 2 weeks in a row. Perimeter D has not been our strong suit this year (mostly because we are playing too much help D) and having tight D on the opposition's guards is needed when they can shoot the 3.
PurpleOut
Staff
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Since we don't have Augustin defending and stealing balls, Comeaux needs to be your PG work horse assuming he is healthy enough for that and I like that he got the start and played more than 20 minutes 2 weeks in a row. Perimeter D has not been our strong suit this year (mostly because we are playing too much help D) and having tight D on the opposition's guards is needed when they can shoot the 3.
Agreed. Comeaux is our only PG....he needs to start IMO.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Agreed. Comeaux is our only PG....he needs to start IMO.

Missing a natural point guard hurts more than not having a solid a good three. Our offense is predictated on exceptional distribution. See Trey Pinkney......
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
It's been my contention that the reason that Underwood has struggled with his P5 teams is the point guard position. I think guys can pick up the motion offense route-wise and schematically. However, it's incumbent on the point guard to execute it well. It takes a very smart and savvy player to be able to do that.

Honestly, I've always felt Pinkney was one of the smartest players to ever don the uniform. Walkup would have been good just like Kevon is without a distributor, but Pinkney made the team. Besides being the best point defender in the nation, he could identify weaknesses better than any pg I have seen in person. People always griped he didn't shoot more, but he was responsible for more points than anyone. I wish he could have played forever.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

It's been my contention that the reason that Underwood has struggled with his P5 teams is the point guard position. I think guys can pick up the motion offense route-wise and schematically. However, it's incumbent on the point guard to execute it well. It takes a very smart and savvy player to be able to do that.

Honestly, I've always felt Pinkney was one of the smartest players to ever don the uniform. Walkup would have been good just like Kevon is without a distributor, but Pinkney made the team. Besides being the best point defender in the nation, he could identify weaknesses better than any pg I have seen in person. People always griped he didn't shoot more, but he was responsible for more points than anyone. I wish he could have played forever.

In almost any other league (the SLC is pathetic) Pinkney would have been an all-american. He was that good A poor mans "Danny Hurley".
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.