SFA / Houston Baptist

24,737 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RedRiverLa
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not on an offensive player control foul
Cat Herder
Watched the last 5 minutes. What a run! Looking forward to driving up this weekend for the games on Saturday. Axe'Em!!!
BigJack85
RedRiverLa said:

So why do they call the HBU gym the shark tank?

I have no idea. I've been there many many times. Got my masters degree from HBU and still attend games when I'm in town (which is often since I live in Houston).
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
cboothe09
The charge was a good call. I personally wouldnt have called it, but not going to complain. What happened on the inbounds? I never saw anything there

Nice win. Gutsy performance again. Offense looking good. Defense? Not so much, but there is still time
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

RedRiverLa said:

I have no idea. I've been there many many times. Got my masters degree from HBU and still attend games when I'm in town (which is often since I live in Houston).

Because it has as many seats as the set of Shark Tank.
jboy93
Nathan had a good game. Needed his scoring tonight!
RedRiverLa
jboy93 said:

Nathan had a good game. Needed his scoring tonight!

Yes, he did. I think I started watching when he had a couple of bad plays, but he finished very strong and I must have missed his strong start, too.
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

RedRiverLa said:

Sounds about right. Like we need another reason to appreciate WRJ, but what a great venue we have for college basketball.
BigJack85
RedRiverLa said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

RedRiverLa said:

Sounds about right. Like we need another reason to appreciate WRJ, but what a great venue we have for college basketball.

Probably the best in the SLC. Only Lamar is close.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeesh, that was rough but at least we pulled it out. All that matters right now are Ws IMO.

Coming early by myself Saturday with my tent. Hopefully we get a good turnout for Fan Fest.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Yeesh, that was rough but at least we pulled it out. All that matters right now are Ws IMO.

Coming early by myself Saturday with my tent. Hopefully we get a good turnout for Fan Fest.

Will be headed to Nac as soon as my wife gets off work. What's the forecast?
CertifiedAxeman98
What a game tonight so glad I went. My brother (HBU grad) sitting next to me didn't care for how it ended. My dad (Sam grad) just smiled.

Kevon was the man tonight.

Thunder sticks are they allowed on free throws or not? What's the rule? HBU was using them behind the goal tonight on free throws. It didn't seem to matter just curious what the rule is and why it is not being consistently enforced.
TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

What a game tonight so glad I went. My brother (HBU grad) sitting next to me didn't care for how it ended. My dad (Sam grad) just smiled.

Thunder sticks are they allowed on free throws or not? What's the rule? HBU was using them behind the goal tonight on free throws. It didn't seem to matter just curious what the rule is and why it is not being consistently enforced.

The rule is not during game play, of which free throws should be a part.

As to why it's not enforced, it's because the Southland Conference is trash.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Just got home from the game and reading through the comments here. Looks like the "always negative" guys were always negative again through most of the game until late in the second half, then went silent toward the end.for some strange reason.

HBU has some really good players, guys. If you weren't there, it may not have been obvious to you. There's a reason why they've played virtually everyone in the conference really close. Their fast break was very good -- their guys have more speed that our guys and they handle the ball well on the break. And their center is a mountain of a man and hard to handle in the lane. When Mitch was guarding him it almost wasn't fair. He had about 40 pounds on Mitch.

The Jacks won for one reason -- HEART. The Jacks don't have much depth and other than Kevon and Shannon don't have great shooters, but they NEVER give up Those that tuned out early need to remember that going forward.

Bring on Lamar!
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Just got home from the game and reading through the comments here. Looks like the "always negative" guys were always negative again through most of the game until late in the second half, then went silent toward the end.for some strange reason.

HBU has some really good players, guys. If you weren't there, it may not have been obvious to you. There's a reason why they've played virtually everyone in the conference really close. Their fast break was very good -- their guys have more speed that our guys and they handle the ball well on the break. And their center is a mountain of a man and hard to handle in the lane. When Mitch was guarding him it almost wasn't fair. He had about 40 pounds on Mitch.

The Jacks won for one reason -- HEART. The Jacks don't have much depth and other than Kevon and Shannon don't have great shooters, but they NEVER give up Those that tuned out early need to remember that going forward.

Bring on Lamar!

Agreed. I knew we couldn't sleep on HBU anymore when I caught some of their preconference games.

And yes, tons of heart. Key said he was on a mission and he went off!
Pilotgirl
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Id like to know rule as well. Does it have anything to do with sponsorship vs being given to fans from the school? You can get away with some things if it's donated vs supplied by school. But i dunno about these sticks
nacluth
Didn't get to watch the game until late. It's amazing how fast my heart can beat laying in bed watching YouTube basketball. My Fitbit was clocking 105 at the end.

Is bend don't break defense a thing in basketball? How can we get so loose for 10 minute stretches then stiffen up at the right time to get the win? As long as we get the win, but sheesh. (Beat the spread ha ha).

I thought Grujic played decently. I still think his minutes paid dividends even if Bogues played forever. Kevon is the man. If he says he's on a mission, I'm following him. I don't see how we can get outrebounded on the offensive glass so bad. We have to play bigger with our bigs.

I'll take it. Axe 'em!
Pilotgirl

These guys (and girls) feed off fan energy. I will say it any and everytime. That's why I don't post negative stuff on twitter/social media. They need positives from fans. This generation is so ingrained with twitter, insta. Etc. I got into back n forth with a fan posting beyond negative and ugly things to an SFA basketball OP when we played Sam. Im sure said fan is in this forum. I don't have anything against whatever someone posts BUT pulling that kinda stuff where all the boys see it . Ugh. Bad taste in my mouth. BC they already know about last Sat. They LIVED it & then got an earful from coaches, etc. They don't need us dragging them down even more, IMO.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

These guys (and girls) feed off fan energy. I will say it any and everytime.

So true! Attendance according to the stat sheet was 900, but it sure didn't look like that many from my vantage point - 500 maybe. I estimate that SFA had about 200 there. Down the stretch, the SFA faithful came alive and that certainly fueled the Jacks. That shows what a nice road attendance can do. That's an advantage that no other SLC school has.
RedRiverLa
If we can bottle up the last 2 minutes of these games and spread it over the majority of the game, we would look like the team we thought we might be despite the season we've had. If we're within 10 with 2 to go, never stop watching. I don't think it's necessarily fan energy alone, because the fans always bring it the whole game at WRJ. It's prep, adjustments, a whole lot of panic, and I think some bit of these lower teams tightening up because they've never had this close of a chance with SFA. HBU should have put this away, but they went cold and tight and easy shots weren't falling. But all it looks like now is a 'W'. Give the guys all the credit.
MasterAxe
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Bring on Lamar!
I guess this is a subtle shot at me (and others). At the point I was negative, we were down 12 to a team that. I believe, we have no business being down to.

Glad I was wrong, but plenty of us where "negative" when we were getting our asses kicked.
nacluth
Just a perspective recap on how many times we've been down by 10 points or more and come back to win this year.

SWAG - Down by 10 points with 4:15 left in the first half, win by 1.

Marist - 15 behind at the lowest, down 14 with 3:40 left in the game, win by 4.

La Tech* - Behind 13 at the lowest, come from 12 back with 6:35 left in game to force OT. Lose by 3.

Baylor - Behind 10 at the lowest, come from 8 down in final 2:55 to win by 1.

ACU - Down by 10 at the bottom, come back from 8 down in last 8:30 to win by 1.

Houston Baptist - Down 12 with 11:30 left in game, then came the push to win by 2.

5 of our 12 victories have seen us behind by double digits and pull off the victory. The SWAG game is a little bit of an outlier (more than just a D2 school) as we erased that deficit quick and were up by as many as 8 in the second. We allowed the comeback in that game almost letting them snipe us if not saved by a home court call.

Here's a list of the 5 losses by double digits to show that we don't always have the juice to pull it back.

Miami by 38.
San Francisco by 18.
UL-Monroe by 16.
Alabama by 10.
Sam Houston by 22.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Bring on Lamar!

Always negative? Probably not. Skeptical yes. Glad we pulled it out. The pattern is just disturbing, we have these flashes of brilliance for a few possessions then it's a black hole. I fully appreciate the personnel issues and I certainly don't blame Keller for ALL of them. I hope we are a different team next season. Happy about the win. Axe 'Em Jacks
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Will be headed to Nac as soon as my wife gets off work. What's the forecast?
Cold.

Slight chance of rain, but mainly just cloudy and low 40s. As of now.
LUMBERJACK2005
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

My first time at Sharp Gym. When people say this is a high school gym, I have to disagree. This is a Jr. High gym. Even the bathroom is a one-holer. Geez...

For what HBU charged me for graduate school, you'd think they could at least figure out a way to let me buy a ticket at the door last night with my debit card. Instead, had to walk to student center and get cash from ATM.
TallTexan
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

My first time at Sharp Gym. When people say this is a high school gym, I have to disagree. This is a Jr. High gym. Even the bathroom is a one-holer. Geez...

For what HBU charged me for graduate school, you'd think they could at least figure out a way to let me buy a ticket at the door last night with my debit card. Instead, had to walk to student center and get cash from ATM.

Wwwwwhhhhhaaaaaatttttt???
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Bring on Lamar!
I guess this is a subtle shot at me (and others). At the point I was negative, we were down 12 to a team that. I believe, we have no business being down to.

Glad I was wrong, but plenty of us where "negative" when we were getting our asses kicked.

Ditto for me. Glad we won. Shocked that we've dropped to the point where a victory over HBU is even in question. Hope this is the start of 5 - 6 game run of improvement. Getting 3 - 4 wins in that run wouldn't be bad either.
No-look
I think we have been spoiled over the years. Our expectations are high. And that is a good thing. Home loses have been scarace over the last several years. You take the spouse out to eat and cap the evening off with a nice win... And then adversity happens as it does to all teams sooner or later. Just need to weather the storm and keep the faith. Yes there areas that need repair but I'm trusting the coaches to be working on that. They have forgotten more about the game than I will ever know. Players are gutting it out on the floor. I'm in win or lose.
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Bring on Lamar!

Negativity, as long as it isn't mean, comes from passion and frustration. I have no problem with your passion. I'm right there with you in frustration, and in game posts dont bother me because we're all 100% Jacks.
Txjack
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Where else do you accidently get hit by overspray from a players water bottle like I did last night, lol.

I thought someone here previously had mentioned that HBU planned on constructing a new gym, but I have not seen or heard anything. I just know they redeveloped the property they own facing US59 w/a strip ct. and plan on making a new entry way in the school, but no mention of a gym.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Txjack said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Where else do you accidently get hit by overspray from a players water bottle like I did last night, lol.

I did, too. We must have been sitting close together. But then again, almost all of us SFA folks had to be sitting close together in that little cracker box of a gym.
CertifiedAxeman98
When I was a kid I did some basketball camps at HBU in Sharp Gym. The only thing that has changed since I was 11 is the removal of the stage and replacing it with bleachers in behind the one goal. They used to put folding chairs on the stage to add seating. I said that to my kids and when my 10 year old and I went to the restroom he looked around and said "doesn't look like they have done anything in here either". Kids tell it like it is.
Jacks4460
That is a horrible excuse for a college basketball gymnasium... The higher ups in that university should be embarassed...
CertifiedAxeman98
My brother is an HBU grad and he complains about it as well. He said they need to improve it if they want to recruit at a D1 level. They are not NAIA anymore. Anyone remember when the Rockets practiced at HBU? probably not unless you remember that the Rockets played their games at the Compaq Center.

They should do something similar to what McNeese did. They could put it over by the football field with a decent gym and some shared facilities with football and other sports since the football teams have to come out of the double wides on the other side of the field.

It is kind of fun to tell my brother that they have a high school gym & football field. Can't call it a stadium that would infer that they have bleachers on both sides of the field. He claims that at some point they will not renew the lease for CVS and that they will put some seating on the other side of the field but I told him not to hold his breath.
sfa17
There is no way HBU basketball ever improves with a gym like that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.