SFA / Houston Baptist

24,615 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RedRiverLa
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (11-9, 4-4) vs. Houston Baptist (7-13, 3-6)

WHEN: FEB. 6 (WED) 7:00 P.M.
WHERE: Sharp Gymnasium (Houston, TX)
WATCH: YouTube

Coming off the worst loss to Sam Houston in 40 years, ironically we play a team that we haven't lost to since that same season 40 years ago. The Lumberjacks travel to tiny Sharp Gymnasium tonight to take on HBU in a game that unfortunately says a lot about the prospects of this team going forward. After pulling out three conference wins in a row (two against top SLC contenders), a road dismantling by the Bearkats have fans reeling and SFA's coaching staff searching for how to right the ship before it goes under. The best way would be to start with a solid win over a Huskies team that doesn't have many answers themselves.

After a non-conference upset of Wake Forest, buzz was that HBU was going to be a tough out in the SLC this year. But, their 1-6 start to Southland play has most thinking that it's going to be another subpar year like always. There is life however for those of the full body dunking persuasion. They have picked off the last two teams in the last seconds, and they are hoping against a team that lets every game come down to the final ticks that they can make it three in a row. Top scorer in SLC play Ian DuBose steadily puts in his points every game from close to the basket, but it will probably be the play of guards Stephen O'Suji and Braxton Bonds that will determine if this team has enough push to get by SFA.

For the Jacks, it's going to come down to will and legs. We know that Kevon and Shannon will do their thing every night, but where is the rest of the team? Can they focus and execute playing teams that they expected to roll through? Every game until the end of the year will be a fight. Do they have the heart of competitors to overcome when they are the underdogs to HBU?

Jovan may be the most important player going down the stretch. Some have jokingly hoped that this would be the "Year of the Gru," but how much he's involved could indicate how well this season plays out. He's the last man (typically) off this bench, but we need his minutes. If he plays, Sammy and Mitch get rest. If they rest, Davonte and Nate can rest. If they rest, Kevon can rest. If Kevon rests, Bogues can get some rest. Oddyst is going to chip in as well more and more, but it's how little off fall there is from the bottom of the bench that's going to determine if the top players can save their legs. We need Jovan and Oddyst to come up big in their time. No time better than in a high school gym in Houston.

SFA needs to get back up to start the final 10 game push.

Axe em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
I love Gru and his drive but he simply lacks the flexibility to be much of a contributor. I HOPE and pray that he gives us 6-10 GOOD minutes.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
We're really 1.5 dogs tonight.
BigJack85
I think that illustrates our challenges.
nacluth
PurpleOut said:

I guess 40 years doesn't mean much to some people when money is involved.
MasterAxe
Reason to be a bit nervous:

HBU has played every SLC game within 7 points. Their 3-6 record is full of close wins and losses, including against teams we have both beaten and lost to, including Sam, who they played to a 6 point game.

Not only did they beat Wake, but played a good Texas State team to 10 points, Played Miami to 7 and LaTech to 7. They are much better than their record indicates.

So, I urge us to not take this one lightly.
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

We lost to Sam by 20+, they lost by 6...strictly from that standpoint, we should be dogs.

Historically speaking, of course not.
nacluth
MasterAxe said:

So, I urge us to not take this one lightly.
Every game for the rest of the year...
TallTexan
SFA by 100!

No-look
Can HBU shoot the three?
nacluth
No. Does it help that they allow more threes against them than any team in the nation?
SFA Jack Fanatic
My first time at Sharp Gym. When people say this is a high school gym, I have to disagree. This is a Jr. High gym. Even the bathroom is a one-holer. Geez...
Pilotgirl
I keep forgetting how small that gym is
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

My first time at Sharp Gym. When people say this is a high school gym, I have to disagree. This is a Jr. High gym. Even the bathroom is a one-holer. Geez...
Whoa, just turned on the game. I expected something about like Longwood's stadium, but this is as small as the Gym at my parent's elementary school.

I ask this in all seriousness, how did they get into the Southland?
Pilotgirl
Ohhh boy. Don't like how this is starting.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Whoa, just turned on the game. I expected something about like Longwood's stadium, but this is as small as the Gym at my parent's elementary school.

My question exactly.....
MasterAxe
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

My question exactly.....

Academia and "the Houston market," lol.

Same reason Rutgers is in the Big 10, for "New York market."
No-look
I'm really missing TJ.
MasterAxe
Kevon looks like he came to play.

That's about it, so far.
TallTexan
Tie ball? The dude just literally jumped on Fitz.

#SouthlandConferenceRefsAreTrash
MasterAxe
What in the world happened to our defense?

HBU puts up 41?!

Gotta bad feeling.
RedRiverLa
So the most important question...hbu is allowed to use thunder sticks during plays and free throws and we weren't? That sums up our year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
It's another one of "those" games.
SFA Jack Fanatic
HBU's big guy is dominating in the middle. He's a legit center.
jflandis
Our guards will step up the defensive intensity in the second half and we will pull ahead by a couple of baskets down the stretch. That's the way I see it ending up.
RedRiverLa
I have been waiting for that "pull away run" all year. Maybe tonight will be the night...just maybe
RedRiverLa
Misses point blank layup, loses steal, dribbles off his foot. This is our offense. Hard to watch, just hard.
MasterAxe
Are we capable of an 8-0 run?

Not likely. If we're not careful, this gonna get away from us.

Seriously.
jboy93
Someone tell Sammy the object is to put the ball in the basket...
jboy93
I'll take just one bucket at this point!!!!
No-look
Their taking it to the hole and nothing we can do about it
jboy93
WOW!!!!
tangerito
We are not a good basketball team right now.
RedRiverLa
Well, with everything about this year, with the realization we are who we are, there will be no point where anyone will hate to play us. And, this is embarrassing. We're getting killed in a jr high gym, with thunder sticks. Wonder how the frito pies are?
BigJack85
tangerito said:

We are not a good basketball team right now.

Agreed. I still think we should be able to beat HBU with our practice squad..... oh I forgot we don't have a practice squad.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.