SFA / Sam Houston

34,549 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jacks4460
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (11-8, 4-3) vs. Sam Houston (13-8, 8-0)

WHEN: FEB. 2 (SAT) 7:00 P.M.
WHERE: Bernard G. Johnson Coliseum (Huntsville, TX)
WATCH: ESPN3

An exciting pair of midweek matchups have gotten the Lumberjack squad off to their first official winning streak of the year. Over the last 10 days, SFA has knocked off the second and third strongest SLC teams by early record. It's a heart pumping (or stopping) time to be a Jacks fan. Out of a season that has seemed snakebit from the beginning, now many are wondering if there could be hope that the season may turn out. Keller has insisted from the beginning that this team would gel by conference play. After a couple more head-shaking setbacks, he's insisted February would be the true measuring stick for this team.

Well he's right...and now it's February.

What better way to start the new month than by traveling on the road to the undefeated conference leader Sam Houston. I think most would confess surprise that the Bearkats have turned a lackluster 5-8 nonconference slate into a running torrent of victories - most by double figures. Unblemished, with a several game lead on their nearest contender, Hooten's club is starting to believe that they're the class of the SLC this year - and who can blame them?

Sam has eight players averaging over 15 minutes played a game and none over 30. The have three players that are barely averaging more than 10 points per game but are outscoring their SLC opponents by an average of 11(!) points per game. (SFA by contrast is outscoring SLC opponents by 0.1 ppg) Our bitter rival is dominating the league not by star power but by a traditional SFA hallmark - depth and team play. Every team stat is good - not great, not bad, but good. Decent three point shooting team, but not lights out. Decent free throw shooting, but not unflappable. Good rebounding, good foul control, good defense. Not turning over the ball is probably their strongest quality. Sam is playing like a consummate team. How can SFA match up with that?

For 15 or 16 games, the Jacks have struggled for an identity. But with their backs to the wall and pride on the line, the heart of this team has started to pump pure fire. It hasn't resulted in domination, but it has pulled off two of the gutsiest wins this season. It's given us a vision of what we can be - of what we want to achieve. No, it's made us know that we will have what we want, and it's there for the taking.

What do we have that Sam doesn't? Fire.

We're going to Huntsville on Saturday to burn down the dreams of this team that thinks they are going through the first half of the season undefeated. We're going there with a sea of purple, and we're going to unload our frustration of the first part of this season out on that court. It's February, and we're here to win.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
Great write up!
TallTexan
Am I going to need to purchase tickets in advance?

Or will getting them at the gate be fine?

I have no idea whether any of the Sam fans plan to show up.
nacluth
Purchasing at the gate is fine. Even with everyone we're bringing, it will barely be half full.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Purchasing at the gate is fine. Even with everyone we're bringing, it will barely be half full.

I'm just glad the empty half will be Sam's half.
cboothe09
Very little promotion from the Sam athletic department. They did have one Twitter post about an 1-hour, $1 flash sale on tickets (Only 100 available) .
No-look
Sams three point shooting is decent but not great....we I'll change that. Lol. Seems everyone we play lights it up. Jones was hitting long range on us last game. Delaney had a good night against Lamar but he was getting open looks...cut down on our turnovers and we will be fine.
TallTexan
Tickets are currently a one dollar. Get em while they last.
PurpleOut
Staff
Lol at 100 tickets available for the flash sale
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Lol at 100 tickets available for the flash sale

I just find it hilarious that their rival is coming to town, that they're in first place, and that they're doing flash sales for 1 dollar to get butts in seats.
KirkHeath12
Game Day Jacks!
Class of 2012
Axe Em
nacluth
Game day!!! We're coming!!!

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
I'll be hitting up some pregame barbecue at McKenzie's BBQ on 11th around 3 or 3:15, if you want to hang out.

Edit: I'll be the guy in the silver retro Axe 'Em Jacks hoodie and the unshaven rally beard.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Pilotgirl
I know we've talked about this before but can't remember...girls start at 4? Or 3?
nacluth
4:30
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

4:30

Thanks!
MasterAxe
Interesting idea,

Sam is probably not as good as their SLC record 8-0 and were probably better than our 4-3 SLC record.

They've won the games, so far, that we've let slip away.

I have no doubt this is their toughest test of the SLC season, so far.

And since we're destined to play nothing but "near heart attack," level games, I'd expect this one to go right down to the wire.
sfa17
Let's goo!!
nacluth
Lol. Nate Bain ran out the tunnel by himself and then the whole team laughed at him.
nacluth
Ice cold 0-4 on open threes to start. Down 9-4 at first media.
MasterAxe
Wait...a slow, sloppy start on the road?

We are consistent
BigJack85
Not making anything. Stone cold.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
MasterAxe
Getting absolutely punished in the paint.
nacluth
17-8 U12 media. Sam is getting the rolls. We are bouncing around the rim.
TallTexan
Sam with a much better crowd than usual.

Making the circus shots and passes are keeping them riled up too.
No-look
Hot and cold.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Sam with a much better crowd than usual.

Making the circus shots and passes are keeping them riled up too.

Bc they are #1 rn..
Fair weather fans
SFA Jack Fanatic
The ESPN announcers kept their biases in check in the first game, but it's on glaring display in this one.
TallTexan
I haven't seen a team get so many bounces since Flubber!
nacluth
Do we spot them 20 or is 16 enough?
KirkHeath12
Well this sucks
Class of 2012
Axe Em
MasterAxe
Lol.
TallTexan
Of all the SLC ref crews, this is the worst.
Pilotgirl
Ummm that was a bogus 3rd foul on Key....

These refs are so extra and ugly to our players/coaches...
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Of all the SLC ref crews, this is the worst.

Yup

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.