SFA / Baylor

36,275 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sfa17
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (5-4) vs. Baylor (6-3)

WHEN: DEC. 18 (TUE) 7:30 P.M.
WHERE: Ferrell Center (Waco, TX)
WATCH: FSSW-

Baylor has had the better end of the most recent matchups against SFA. Most notably they crushed Brad Underwood's last SFA team by 40 early in the season before what most would consider to be SFA's most successful postseason experience. This is not that Baylor. This year's team will struggle to make the tourney as they are struggling extremely on offense so far this year. The last five games have seen an average of mid-60's in points with their one highlight win of the season stopping Arizona's long 52 game non-conference home winning record 58-49. The team can play defense keeping opposing teams to 63 ppg so far this season.

This is one of those games that looking at the schedule seemed a perfect statement game for the Jacks. Time to exact some revenge on a struggling Big 12 program that has had our number in the most recent contests. However, SFA has been riddled with injuries and illness - most notably the loss of junior point guard Aaron Augustin. Playing with the same lineup that has dropped the first two games of December, the likelihood of pulling the upset against Baylor (like a decent Texas Southern and a weak Wichita State already have this year) is very doubtful.

To have a chance, SFA will have to broaden their offensive attack to some of their supporting cast. Bogues, Harris, and Fitzgerald have been bearing the weight of the roster losses well, but three men a team do not make. Keeping Bain and Mitch out of foul trouble while getting them inside looks is going to be the first step towards limiting Baylor. Jock Hughes and Oddyst Walker have to get more than 3 looks in the game. Karl Nicholas has to not self-destruct his game - which so far he has shown no ability to do. We need Harris to be the focus of attack drawing fouls; it can not be a total perimeter game unless Bogues and Jock go unconscious from three.

We should be able to slow down an already anemic offense, but a completely gassed starting five will not be able to keep even a weak Baylor from racking up second half points. A better rotation of minutes is the only way SFA walks out of Waco with a win. While this is now another long shot against a P5 school, our squad has the potential to get ahead - whether they can keep that lead is yet to be seen.

4 freshmen
4 sophmores
5 juniors
3 seniors
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
sfa17
This might be a bloodbath. Keeping the final score at 20 points and under would be good enough for me
PurpleOut
Staff
Baylor was without some key players early in the season, they've been much better since.

They're ability to play defense and our inability to be consistent on offense is troubling.

We need to stay positive either way.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ouch! Kinda rough on the Jacks there, Ryan...
nacluth
edstile said:

Ouch! Kinda rough on the Jacks there, Ryan...
Really, I thought I was being positive. I tried to think of ways that we could pull out the win. Working Bogues like a dog definitely will not get it done. I actually do think a win is possible, but if our game plan is remotely like it was on Saturday then I'm going to start to worry about more than this result.
BigJack85
Really solid write up. Balanced. Clear.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Thanks BigJack.
PurpleOut
Staff
Who's coming?
HJC69
Agree with nacluth. Also without sharp ball movement no one will get decent looks.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Who's coming?

Wish we could. Will be watching online.
nacluth
Game day!!!

Time to go smack some bears in the face.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
nacluth said:

Game day!!!

Time to go smack some bears in the face.

Hope that bear didn't retaliate and tear the guy to pieces. Lol
BigJack85
It was going to be a stretch for me At this point I can't spare the time and hope to make the Alabama game.
ljax1979
Didn't see Augustin in the pics posted from the Baylor practice. Did my eyes deceive me or is Holyfield (#22) setting a pick in one of the pictures?
PurpleOut
Staff
ljax1979 said:

Didn't see Augustin in the pics posted from the Baylor practice. Did my eyes deceive me or is Holyfield (#22) setting a pick in one of the pictures?

That's not TJ, he's not dressed out but on the court in the last pic. There's also a kid that I don't recognize in the #35 jersey. But, it also looks like Comeaux at the end of the court in practice gear, but not running drills.
SFAJack_76
Samuli dressed, wearing a shoulder brace. No Jovan.

nacluth
Yep, same lineup available. Looks like they have some extra bodies filling in on drills. Still down 5 scholarship players: TJ, John, Jovan, Samuli, Aaron. That starting five is good enough to finish in the top half of the Southland.

We need a big game from one of our rookies tonight. Who's it going to be: Jock, Mitch, or Karl?
cboothe09
I'm guessing #35 is a manager suited out to practice. I did catch John working out in the back.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Yep, same lineup available. Looks like they have some extra bodies filling in on drills. Still down 5 scholarship players: TJ, John, Jovan, Samuli, Aaron. That starting five is good enough to finish in the top half of the Southland.

Funny, I just said the exact same thing on twitter.
nacluth
Great minds
Pilotgirl
PurpleOut said:

Who's coming?

We will be there!!!!!!
Txjack
nacluth said:

We need a big game from one of our rookies tonight. Who's it going to be: Jock, Mitch, or Karl?
I'm hoping Jock goes on a run... become our next Jared Johnson???
SFA Jack Fanatic
Txjack said:

nacluth said:

I'm hoping Jock goes on a run... become our next Jared Johnson???
I hope you're right, but first... 1) He needs to get good minutes, and 2) He needs to be unafraid to shoot the dadgum ball.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah maybe someday, but not right now. We got Jared after two years of JUCO. He had that look that he knew every shot he took was going in. Definitely one of my favorite players, especially what he went through with the accident.

I think Jock will be great here, but he needs some time.
BigJack85
So with 7-8 scholarship players available what/who are we running out there? What's the starting five and what kind of rotation do you see?

Axe Em' Jacks.
nacluth
The starters will for sure be: Shannon, Kevon, Nate, Davonte, but it comes down to Mitch or Karl for the fifth starter. I think Mitch gets his second start but hopefully he settles in without too many early fouls. He plays close to the bucket better than Karl. Right now Karl hasn't seen a shot he didn't like, and so he takes bad ones constantly. I like him and Jock for first subs with Oddyst giving Bogues as much time as can be given at point.

Any rotation that sees Kevon or Bogues on the bench without losing points is the rotation I want. My hope is that Jock and Bain hit double digits in points scored. That happens and we win this game.
nacluth
We're 7-8 against Baylor all time. Time to even up the record. Last win was a 22 point blowout in Waco in 2003. Also, Baylor's last game beating Arizona at home gave us the nation's best home winning percentage back after briefly losing it to Arizona. So let's thank them by helping them lose at home too.
PurpleOut
Staff
That "#35" is dressed out tonight.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I bet it's Ed. He's been practicing his crossover.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

That's actually his name, I think.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

That's actually his name, I think.
Bahahaha! It's meant to be.
Pilotgirl
Same start as Sat. Ready to cheer on the guys no matter what
jflandis
Pilotgirl you are a true fan. Nothing diminishes your support. I admire that. Let's hope we can pressure the ball on defense without our starting PG.
TallTexan
My least favorite team in Texas. Let's beat the snot out of them.
Pilotgirl
jflandis said:

Pilotgirl you are a true fan. Nothing diminishes your support. I admire that. Let's hope we can pressure the ball on defense without our starting PG.

Thank you! Got my partner in crime with me this time

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.