SFA / Baylor

36,728 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sfa17
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

"This team, when it was built, was built better," Keller said. "We'd have won 30 games this year. Unfortunately, we are where we are. I wouldn't want to play us in March when we get our guys back. That's just my opinion. We got to get there. We're not very good right now. We had one night tonight, now we've got to sustain it. Baylor helped us."

Coach K was right on with this statement. 30 wins was possible before this season started and the hospital ward started filling up. And I also agree with him that it was an assisted suicide by Baylor, but we were more than happy to assist!
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

Do we have any context as to why he didn't go there? Seems like it would have been an easy choice.

Still, it seems like he played like he was trying to prove something. He was locked in from tip to finish.
I have no idea. Just guessing, but it may have had something to do with grades coming out of high school.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I'll eat my crow of a write-up and be happy. SFA > Big 12 this season. All is right with the world.

I like a man who's not too proud to consume a tasty little bird every now and then.
nacluth
Exactly Matt.

Ballwatch
BAYLOR POSTGAME QUOTES

Baylor Head Coach Scott Drew
Opening Statement
"Well as exciting as our last game was as disappointing as this game was. We couldn't throw it in the ocean, couldn't make free throws, turned it over. With all that being said, if we guard the second half like we did the first half, especially in the first eight minutes, we win the game. I thought our defense was great. The beginning of the second half really hurt us. When they were shooting 60-something percent, we went back to the zone, that was good. At the end of the game, you're not going to win close games unless you make free throws, and that's something we've got to get better at."

On if there was some hangover after the win at Arizona
"Definitely. We weren't as energized as we were at Arizona. As a coach, you know how good SFA is. You know the margin of victory is thin at any level of basketball. At the end of the day, that's why you hope to get a big enough lead, where if something at the end of the game happens, it doesn't affect you, because you're up five or seven. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Once we didn't get the rebound, first thing is you've got to get back on defense. We didn't get back. That's something when you're more inexperienced, you tend to not execute, during certain times of the game or during pressure situations. Mental fatigue hurts you worse sometimes."

On the last offensive possession
"First, you didn't want to turn it over. Second of all, you wanted to not give them a long clock. Third, Makai (Mason) did a great job closing the game at Arizona. We feel very good with him getting a high-percentage shot, getting a good look. If he doesn't make it, you've got rebounders in position. The problem was, when we didn't get the rebound, we needed to get back once they had it, rather than try to stay in a trap. Once you throw out of (the trap), it's 4-on-3, and that's not good odds."

On how poor shooting makes games more difficult
"When you make shots, it's human nature to guard better. You have more swag and energy. I credit us for, at the end of the game, they're at 42 percent. As bad as we shot, they could have been at 50 percent. There's no joy in mudville when you're 4-for-24 (from three-point range). Unfortunately, that's been a lot more bad shooting. We're due for a good shooting game. If we didn't shoot it well in practice, we'd be like nobody shoot threes anymore. But we shoot it well in practice. Frustrating, really frustrating. But, as my dad said, that's what you get with youth. It's tough on fans, it's tough on coaches, it's tough on players. We can beat anybody and we can lose to anybody. And we've done both."

Baylor Senior Makai Mason
On the last offensive possession
"Just to try to drive towards the rim, make a play. They were kind of playing up, I might have had a kick out to Mario (Kegler) there. They were kind of playing up the passing lanes, wasn't a lot of room. It was a tough shot."

On if there was some hangover after the win at Arizona
"Yeah, I think we needed to do a lot better job with our energy, right from the start. Everybody was just kind of dead. We didn't really pick it up enough."

Baylor Redshirt Sophomore Mark Vital
On the tough loss
"It was tough coming back. We still had a chance to win. I feel like if I would have made my free throws, it would have given us a chance to win.

On Tristan Clark's performance
"That's every night. We've got to get the ball to him. Not a lot of people stop him. He's shooting really good from field goals. He's a good player."

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN POSTGAME QUOTES

SFA Head Coach Kyle Keller
Opening Statement
"I'm dressed in this shirt because it's kind of an emotional night for our guys. We've been shorthanded, we're down five players, we've really struggled, we're not who we are. Our guys really had a lot of unity. We've been preaching staying together. We did stay together tonight for the first time. We just caught Baylor on, they just beat the best home team in America at Arizona, we just happened to play them on the right night. They didn't make any shots. They're not going to go 4-for-24 from three and miss free throws at the end. It was just one of those nights for us. Shannon (Bogues) makes two great plays at the end, not just shots, but really guarded (Makai) Mason. It just went our way, just one of those nights for us. It's not going to happen, one in a 100 maybe. Coach Drew, I don't think people appreciate what a great program, what he's done. He's lifted this program from the abyss to a top-25 program in the country. We're just blessed. But I think our kids did really fine tonight."

On Bogues' game-winner
"He has been in that opportunity a few times where he's pulled up. He doesn't lack confidence. When he's in space, he can get anywhere he wants to go. He's learning the game more. This dude is so quick with the ball. To me, I think he's as good as anybody in America. I'll ride with this dude every game. He's as good as anyone in the Big 12 in my opinion. He can play against anybody."

On the win
"This team, when it was built, was built better. We'd have won 30 games this year. Unfortunately, we are where we are. I wouldn't want to play us in March when we get our guys back. That's just my opinion. We got to get there. We're not very good right now. We had one night tonight, now we've got to sustain it. Baylor helped us. We played them after they beat Arizona, at Arizona. How many people patted them on the back since that game? I would hate to be coaching their guys after that. We couldn't have got them at a better time. This is the hardest game for them to play all year long after they win at the McKale Center. Our phones are going to blow up all night long. The hardest thing to do is trying to get our guys back on a level field. I've got to trust our guys' characters enough to say 'hey, that game's over, we're moving on to the next.'"

SFA Senior Shannon Bogues
On his play down the stretch
"I shot it with confidence. Once I released it, I knew it was going in. But then, I knew we had to get a defensive stop. Once we got a defensive stop, I just drove to the basket."

On staying in rhythm on the last play
"Like I said, confidence. I just knew we had to get a bucket. I tried to get fouled, I just ended up scoring."
TallTexan
nacluth
Coach just said in interview that we'll get everybody back in January. Comeaux around January 1st. In time for SELA? Jovan on two weeks of struggles with concussion. Nieminen nursing torn labrum. Waiting on Aaron to get over mono. Hopes to be full strength for everyone in February.
PurpleOut
Staff
Comeaux was again working out and running the court before the game last night. Definitely getting closer.
nacluth
Imagine this team with two point guards instead of none!
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Imagine this team with two point guards instead of none!

A Christmas miracle!
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

That's awesome.
TallTexan
Did Bogues make it on top 10 last night?

Also noticed that MidMadness pretty much ignored us.
nacluth
Nope.
PurpleOut
Staff
In a different, and better way. Stan Verrett had Shannon as his "King of the Night."

cboothe09
Hard to get attention when their current crush beat Syracuse in the Carrier Dome...I hope we get them in a 12-5 matchup
sfa17
I don't even take Mid Major Madness seriously, they have their clear biases. They just jump on the train of the flavor of the season. They will hop on the van-wagon when we win a tourney game this season
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

In a different, and better way. Stan Verrett had Shannon as his "King of the Night."

Sweet!
MasterAxe
sfa17 said:

I don't even take Mid Major Madness seriously, they have their clear biases. They just jump on the train of the flavor of the season. They will hop on the van-wagon when we win a tourney game this season
In defense of MMM, we have not done a ton to garner a lot of attention.

The Baylor win was the first "on the radar" win of the year. We have a couple of non-D1 wins and a couple of D1 blowouts.

Before last night, our best game was a loss to LaTech.

Now, mentioning our win last night probably should have happened, from their standpoint, but i'm going to cut them some slack, in regards to what we have done yearlong.
SFAJack_76
Agree with MasterAxe on this one. We had not done anything this season to merit being in the discussion until last night. And, as Keller said, without Baylor shooting very poorly, we still would not.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Agree with MasterAxe on this one. We had not done anything this season to merit being in the discussion until last night. And, as Keller said, without Baylor shooting very poorly, we still would not.
Sure, we're not Buffalo, but if MidMadness isn't around to cover Mid Majors beating P5 schools, then why do they even exist?

FWIW, multiple writers were tweeting about us when we pulled out the one point win over a NAIA team.
sfa17
but were good last year and i remember we were not ranked until about 11-2 after we lost to Missouri in a close game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.