SFA / Baylor

36,765 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sfa17
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Got this quote stuck in my head earlier today(had pirate's on my mind). Reminds me of our team's spirit. So, so proud of these guys, they've got no quit.
KirkHeath12
A Fredonia Brewery beer for the win!

Yep it is even more tasty than usual
Class of 2012
Axe Em
Ballwatch
I'm pretty sure there will be a boost in ticket sales for the 'Bama game after the win tonight...bring this magic back to Nac!
TallTexan
Ballwatch said:

I'm pretty sure there will be a boost in ticket sales for the 'Bama game after the win tonight...bring this magic back to Nac!
The house better be rocking!
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Hart was also in attendance
Great!
TallTexan
nacluth
It was his only points, but after the final media when we were down by 8, we make the quick sprint down the court, miss the layup, and Mitch follows with the tip in. To quickly get back to 6, kept us in it. We needed it bad. Glad the freshman got to be a part.
SFAJack_76
Bogues made the highlight bucket, but don't overlook that rebound by Kevon and outlet pass to Shannon.
MasterAxe
Observation:

Shannon played tonight like he had something to prove. Like he wanted to send a message to Baylor for not recruiting him out of high school or juco.

Message received.
nacluth
Oh yeah!

nacluth
Ivey in on it!

SFAJack_76
Nice .....

TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

Observation:

Shannon played tonight like he had something to prove. Like he wanted to send a message to Baylor for not recruiting him out of high school or juco.

Message received.

Definitely. And it's a darn shame for Bama that Nick Saban stepped in and stopped their basketball team from recruiting him. (Somebody be sure to let Shannon know).
Pilotgirl
OMG THAT WAS SUCH AN AWESOME GAME TO SEE IN PERSON!!! I've never jumped off the Jack train & Imma need all this excitement/support to keep building fellow Sawmillers!

Chaunsea said Vanessa had to go to every game now We were shouting, cheering the whole game & eating Twizlers bc we were so nervous.

AXEEM!!

And I might've had some words with a Baylor fan....What happens in Wacko stays in Wacko.
nacluth
Represent!
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

Observation:

Message received.

Baylor did recruit him. When he first committed to SFA there was a picture of him in the MBB Recruiting thread here and he was wearing a Baylor uniform.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

And I might've had some words with a Baylor fan....What happens in Wacko stays in Wacko.
We got your back, we'll hit em with the shiplap if we have to.
TallTexan
CLHawkins
MasterAxe said:

I hate when users here blame the refs.

I ref youth basketball and softball, there is a reason no one wants to be a ref. Blame game, all the time.

I'm pretty sure the refs didn't get together and go "how do we make sure Baylor wins."

So upsetting. Think it's easy? Volunteer to do it.

You make it seem like these guys aren't paid. Nobody here is criticizing volunteer refs. If you're bad at your paid job you deserve to be criticized.
TallTexan
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

We got your back, we'll hit em with the shiplap if we have to.
Just realized I missed an excellent opportunity to say we'll "knock the shiplap" outta em. I guess that means it's time for me to hit the hay.
TallTexan
One last thing. And don't use this as an opportunity to talk crap on DailyBears(they're one of the few Baylor fan communities who advocated accountability & cleaning house with Briles), but check out how many comments are on their game thread.

https://www.ourdailybears.com/2018/12/18/18147423/baylor-sfa-game-thread

2. Just 2.

We've got one heck of a fan community here on the Sawmill. Win, lose, or draw.
No-look
Went to Huntington highschool game tonight but had game recorded. Stayed off twitter so I couldn't see a score. Just finished watching the game. I am WIRED!!!!
MasterAxe
Do we have any context as to why he didn't go there? Seems like it would have been an easy choice.

Still, it seems like he played like he was trying to prove something. He was locked in from tip to finish.
nacluth
Ok, here's my completely needless post-shower thoughts:

In my pre-game write-up, I acknowledged that this was a weak Baylor team - especially offensively. But, I thought our offensive woes were going to doom us. I was wrong. I thought getting the ball on quick moves inside to Mitch or Bain would keep Baylor honest. I was wrong. I thought that we needed more than 3 shot attempts by Jock and Oddyst (only one airball). I was wrong. I thought Karl needed to keep from gratuitous fouls and score. I was wrong. I thought we had to have more points from someone besides Bogues, Fitz, or Harris. I was wrong. I thought we couldn't play our starters more than 35 minutes without completely gassing them out. I was wrong. I was pretty much wrong about everything except that we did have a team that could win. They did win - no thanks to me.

They did it by letting Bogues be the stud he is, Fitz grab the buckets he likes, and Kevon fighting for everything hard. Their transition offense in the second half helped their defense energy and their offensive output. We didn't have an answer for their offensive rebounding, but we pressured all the way. 5 team blocks and 10 steals is a respectable stat. They earned it tonight.

15-33. 13-31. 4-21. One of these is not like the others. Louisiana teams put down 28 three balls on us in the last two games. Baylor bricked 17 of them. Our perimeter defense did not get a lot better. They were just dead from outside, and we capitalized.

I've already submitted my POY ballot for Shannon. He's done something magical this year playing the 1. He's a beast at the right time. He can drain threes in the crunch even when he's struggled early. He doesn't give up on the fast drive. He can't do it by himself (but I wouldn't doubt that he could). Thank you for a highlight reel for this season already.

I'll eat my crow of a write-up and be happy. SFA > Big 12 this season. All is right with the world.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
First road win of the season. True story.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
The walk away

SFASawmillGuy
*clears throat* we want bama.
nacluth
Announcer gaffe of the night (and there were plenty):

"Baylor won at Arizona by keeping them to 49 points. If they can do that tonight to SFA..." Current score with 50 seconds left 58-54.
PurpleOut
Staff
Just got home. Man...y'all that wiiiiiiild. Sat behind the bench, that's me behind Sama'Zha in the pic earlier. Loved every minute of it, never felt like we were out of it, even down 8 late.

Credit to Coach Drew for switching to zone. It was a 3-2 zone at that, and really limited our shots. But we fought through it and pulled it out. It was a scene down there at the end to say the least.

Probably couldn't see it on tv, but there was a ton of SFA fans in the building on the other side. It was very loud at the end (you can tell in the videos). Great night. I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL THE BAMA GAME. I hope everyone else is ready!
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Announcer gaffe of the night (and there were plenty):

"Baylor won at Arizona by keeping them to 49 points. If they can do that tonight to SFA..." Current score with 50 seconds left 58-54.

LOL that one cracked me up. But he wasn't wrong.
TallTexan
I'm still stoked! Who are we playing today?
CertifiedAxeman98
I could not make it to Waco. I really wish I had been able to go. Could not sleep after the game was up way too late. Bogues/Harris/Fitzgerald continue to carry the team while the rest of the team continues to be up and down or out sick/injured.

Keller has had a tough time managing a short and ever changing bench this fall. I think it is wearing on him. Really need Augustine back soon. I agree with Coach Keller when he said the following.

"This team, when it was built, was built better," Keller said. "We'd have won 30 games this year. Unfortunately, we are where we are. I wouldn't want to play us in March when we get our guys back. That's just my opinion. We got to get there. We're not very good right now. We had one night tonight, now we've got to sustain it. Baylor helped us."

http://www.ktre.com/2018/12/19/jacks-pull-off-upset-waco/

Keller's comments reminded me of what Jeff VanGundy says "Don't ignore in victory what you would not ignore in defeat." Baylor was bad from deep last night and as a result we were able to keep it close.

Great win over a 61 ranked Kenpom team that should be a good quadrant 1 win for us. An Alabama win would get us off the 16 line. The SL is really bad this year. Last I checked 6 teams were below 300 in Kenpom/NET and only 2 above 250. So if anyone other than SFA or ACU gets into the NCAA Tourney they will be playing in Dayton in the first 4.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I'm still stoked! Who are we playing today?
That manager named Ed, I think....
MasterAxe
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I could not make it to Waco. I really wish I had been able to go. Could not sleep after the game was up way too late. Bogues/Harris/Fitzgerald continue to carry the team while the rest of the team continues to be up and down or out sick/injured.

Keller has had a tough time managing a short and ever changing bench this fall. I think it is wearing on him. Really need Augustine back soon. I agree with Coach Keller when he said the following.

"This team, when it was built, was built better," Keller said. "We'd have won 30 games this year. Unfortunately, we are where we are. I wouldn't want to play us in March when we get our guys back. That's just my opinion. We got to get there. We're not very good right now. We had one night tonight, now we've got to sustain it. Baylor helped us."

http://www.ktre.com/2018/12/19/jacks-pull-off-upset-waco/

Keller's comments reminded me of what Jeff VanGundy says "Don't ignore in victory what you would not ignore in defeat." Baylor was bad from deep last night and as a result we were able to keep it close.

Great win over a 61 ranked Kenpom team that should be a good quadrant 1 win for us. An Alabama win would get us off the 16 line. The SL is really bad this year. Last I checked 6 teams were below 300 in Kenpom/NET and only 2 above 250. So if anyone other than SFA or ACU gets into the NCAA Tourney they will be playing in Dayton in the first 4.
I agree about a Bama win helping the seeding.

I think that if SFA wins the SLC, we have enough cache built up from the last 5 years to avoid Dayton.

I know Dayton is based on the lowest four automatic qualifiers, but if we go, say 15-3 and then win tournament, we're looking at 24/25 wins and with our history. I'd say were probably primed again for the 14 seed line.

A lot depends on any other of the bottom conferences and who comes out from them. SWAC, MAAC, MEAC, NEC etc...

Long way to go, but the Baylor game was peak "Grind" SFA hoops....lord knows how good we will be when/if everyone comes back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.