SFA / SAGU

25,073 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just got home from a prior commitment and didn't watch. Sounds like I was fortunate.
BigJack85
I hope your right Boothe. I'm a little cynical right now.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SfaTke596
I doubt Keller won you over last season if you are already questioning his coaching abilities two games into the season(especially with the injuries that we have to deal with). If you ask me, he just proved you wrong more that won you over.
The truth is that these have been ugly games and we have a lot of work to do. I hope we put up a good effort vs Miami and get a few things figured out before Bama. I think we will be fine by the time conference play comes around. No need to panic YET lol
SFA Jack Fanatic
Just wondering... Is there a paler color of purple available for the Purple Lights on the towers after games like these?
nacluth
Possibly, but the volleyball team won the outright conference championship tonight, so it's FULL purple!
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Possibly, but the volleyball team won the outright conference championship tonight, so it's FULL purple!
Oh, that's fantastic! Never mind......
No-look
Truth is...our two point guards are out along with TJ. Guys are playing out of position. New guys learning the system etc. We should be fine in a few weeks.
MasterAxe
SfaTke596 said:

I doubt Keller won you over last season if you are already questioning his coaching abilities two games into the season(especially with the injuries that we have to deal with). If you ask me, he just proved you wrong more that won you over.
The truth is that these have been ugly games and we have a lot of work to do. I hope we put up a good effort vs Miami and get a few things figured out before Bama. I think we will be fine by the time conference play comes around. No need to panic YET lol

He won me over to the point I thought he was the correct man for the job, after season 1 I wasn't sure. But, I held the caviat that I'd be skeptical if we reverted back to what we looked like in his first year, which, so far we have.

Like him. Good coach (I think) but two incredibly poor performances to start.
HJC69
Wonder if anybody paid any attention to the 2015-2016 season? Brad's last year. Lose by 42 to Baylor, 10 to Northern Iowa, blow a 20 point halftime lead to Tulane and TJ, his freshman year, threw a pass directly to one of their players who then made the winning bucket. (Then helped us almost make the Sweet Sixteen!) Lose to Arizona State by 7 and then blow it at home against UAB, I think I'll give us and Coach Keller and his young team till conference to gel before I run them down too much.
nacluth
I'm sure Matt will give us a write up that makes sense of what we saw, but I'll throw $.02 on the pile.

I continue to be impressed with Mitchell. He played with a lot of heart on offense and defense. He fouled out, but unlike Bain and Nicholas who are foul magnets right now, Mitch's fouls (save one) were good defense to stop buckets. He is on his way to being a starter if he continues this play.

I was happy Jock got valuable game minutes and hit some buckets. That three to end the half was especially nice. Oddyst looked like he was more comfortable tonight at point, but the shaky offense was not doing him any favors getting the ball to the right person. Cole and Walton both did some nice things with their brief minutes.

Sammy is still the same player he has been for two years. Decent but doesn't add much. There's not a drop off, but there's no boost to his position. He got the start, but he's still a bench guy. Fitz is showing that he can be an offensive power with some more aggressiveness. He reminds me of Parker before Parker got physical. We don't have a year top grow him though. He's got to get tough this year. Jovan went from a starter to less minutes than walk-ons in one game. Sorry Gru, that's life.

Bogues had a rough night trying to run offense (8 assists, 6 TOs), but he's not a point. It makes the rest of his game struggle. Kevon can be a one man scoring machine when he wants to, but 7 TOs for him was rough too. We're going to see a Kevon and Bogues show on Tuesday, but Miami is going to sit on top of those two guys.

SAGU's defense was great. It's what ours should be. Ours came in spurts and was not good. Offense was nonexistent except for four minutes to close the first and two minutes in the second. Not much else to say except let's hope we know what we're doing on Tuesday or we going to see some Houston streetball. That was ugly, but glad Oddyst can hit a free throw under pressure. 90-4.
Ballwatch
No-look said:

Truth is...our two point guards are out along with TJ. Guys are playing out of position. New guys learning the system etc. We should be fine in a few weeks.

I keep having to remind myself that we lost Canete, Leon, and Ty to graduation. Then TJ to injury. Kevon is the only starter actually starting this year. Bogues has been forced to take on a new role this year. Add in several new players that are completely new to the program / system, by way of transfer or straight from high school. It's just going to take a bit to gel. Unfortunately we will have some growing pains early on. Hope we can still be competitive but mere athleticism will only take us so far. I know some of you think we should have blown this team out but it's obvious the staff still figuring it out, rightfully so, it's only game 2
nacluth
The first half was experimenting; the second was working offense. The first half was better. Trying to run our sets was rough.
JeffDavis02
This thread is ridiculous on so many levels. Take a breath, support the Jacks, and let the season play out. Axe'Em!
No-look
Anyone know when Aaron and John are scheduled to return?
RedRiverLa
Turnovers. They got 21 points off of ours, we got 9 off of theirs. Chill pills available, we will be fine, it's always hard to begin the season because we have the heights of what we accomplished last season still fresh in our
minds and then we are faced with early season experimentation and Injuries. I don't believe anyone was happy at this point in the seaso the last 4 years.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TheOld300
Trust the process...Keller knows what he's doing. Experimental lineups and missing a true PG. In the words of the 2nd best Qb in the NFL game right now, "R-E-L-A-X"
No-look
KTRE video Caleb Beams said Aaron will be back the coming week and John a matter of weeks. Sounds encouraging.
nacluth
Whoa! I think that exceeds expectations.
Ballwatch
Any post game comments by Keller?
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

KTRE video Caleb Beams said Aaron will be back the coming week and John a matter of weeks. Sounds encouraging.
Hmmm... Contrary to everything we've heard. Hope he's right.
cboothe09
Despite the hiccups and bumps the first two games, I still feel like we have a chance to win in Miami on Tuesday. There have been flashes of what this team can do, and my God we are explosive in the paint. Winning won't be easy, but I feel confident in being able to win this one...
nacluth
Miami is no cupcake, but... it's the beginning of the season for them too. The court will be more open against them than against SAGU last night. Much more ability for one on one plays. They are very athletic, but it will be seen if we can get our playmakers going. Our fast play will either be the key or our Achilles heel. We'll see.
PurpleOut
Staff
Miami has a sneaky opening game tonight against Lehigh.

No game recap from me (will mostly only do those for games I attend). The game wasn't good, but again, if you take away every PG off of any team in the nation they are going to struggle in some sort of way.

I expect we'll take a few lumps early this season. While we always want to win, just keep in mind that November-December will never define our season. It never has in the past with our greatest teams.
CertifiedAxeman98
No-look
I'm sure Keller is trying to see where we are at by playing everybody. He needs to see who can be the guys he can use. And these first two games were designed to do that.
BigJack85
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I was watching the game last night with 13 year old who loves and follows basketball especially college. I was complaining that the team was sloppy, turning the ball over making bad shots not working together. I said you could see the talent there individually but their not working together on defense or offense. He looked at me after the game ended escaping with a W (thanks refs) and said maybe they just aren't as good as we thought they were especially without Holyfield or a real point guard. For now it is like someone that has never driven a stick trying to drive one. Sometimes we are in gear sometimes its "grind it till you find it"

My opinion: Keller can't help that he lost his best forward and both point guards to start the season but he needs to mange it better than he has the first 2 games. We need a point guard and that should not be Harris or Bogues. At point they are wasted. Put Bain or Walker there or someone but make them the point, they should have offensive homework every night on how to run things. All the players need some homework on where they should be on the court they still seem lost at times on where they should bet. Keller must pick his guys. Now that he has 2 games under his belt, playing the whole bench does not help the team get a chemistry, subbing in and out constantly. There must be some kind of offense even if it is basic to start but everyone looks lost on offense trying to do their own thing. Defense is mostly about hustle & positioning and our team got out hustled the first 2 games. We were taller last night so we grabbed some rebounds that could have gone either way but we won't always be taller.

They are a team with lots of talent but they have yet to figure out how to work together if they can figure that out, they will be fine.

Certified,

I think your analysis (and the 13 year old) is the best I've seen in this board..... basically suck it up and find a back up point guard for this period. Cut it out with the revolving door point guard. Bogues is not that guy. Train up one of the others (I like the idea of Bain) he's a senior and can do the job for a month or so.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
What? I don't think a lesser player ball handling wise is the way to go.

Bogues is the best option. Nobody said anything like this when he had 5 assists to 1 turnover the first game. Let's not get TOO drastic.
Jacks4460
Yeah Bain isn't the answer to handling the rock.. I say throw O in there he needs to grow up quickly..
ibtsoom
MasterAxe said:

Miami by 45
I will take the Jacks +45 for a few hundred.
RedRiverLa
So what was good about last night, the crowd. Regardless of the opponent or how bad we looked, the crowd supported and cheered like we were playing Sam. Game ball: SFA crowd!
Lumberjack Battalion
Jacks4460
ibtsoom said:

MasterAxe said:

Miami by 45
I will take the Jacks +45 for a few hundred.
I will take Jacks +45 for a grand...
CertifiedAxeman98
Jacks4460
RedRiverLa said:

So what was good about last night, the crowd. Regardless of the opponent or how bad we looked, the crowd supported and cheered like we were playing Sam. Game ball: SFA crowd!
I wasn't there RedRiver but can feel the crowd with your comment.. Sometimes it takes the crowd to get the W for the team !!! The crowd got the W for our team!!! We all gotta be on the same team players, coaches,admins,fans,alumni,faculty,students,everyone.. It really blew my mind listening to all the negativity at the game tues from some of the fans around me... My goodness it took everything I had not to turn around and say dude shut up!! From gripping about ticket prices to the music played at warm up to Coaches lineups.. It was crazy and I had to pray to the Lord to help me keep my mouth shut.. Which I did.. I gave my tickets away to a fellow sawmiller for Thursday and when I go to the forum there is a message pretty much reiterating what I just said.. Sheesh so I know it not just me...I will go to the games and cheer my a$$ off and root our team on like it seems it did last night...
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

Idk, I saw some sloppiness in the crowd, albeit I was watching on TV so I didn't catch everything. Nacluth was stuffing too much popcorn in his mouth on one Mitch dunk and when he stood up to cheer it just went everywhere.

On a timeout, I saw a heckler who didn't even know that SAGU's head coach's middle name is Madison.

We're gonna have to clean up those kind of performances as a crowd if we want to beat Bama.
RedRiverLa
Jacks4460 said:

RedRiverLa said:

I wasn't there RedRiver but can feel the crowd with your comment.. Sometimes it takes the crowd to get the W for the team !!! The crowd got the W for our team!!! We all gotta be on the same team players, coaches,admins,fans,alumni,faculty,students,everyone.. It really blew my mind listening to all the negativity at the game tues from some of the fans around me... My goodness it took everything I had not to turn around and say dude shut up!! From gripping about ticket prices to the music played at warm up to Coaches lineups.. It was crazy and I had to pray to the Lord to help me keep my mouth shut.. Which I did.. I gave my tickets away to a fellow sawmiller for Thursday and when I go to the forum there is a message pretty much reiterating what I just said.. Sheesh so I know it not just me...I will go to the games and cheer my a$$ off and root our team on like it seems it did last night...
Sad about the complainers, they don't realize how good we have it. Come on over to my section, really don't hear negativity, course the age demo is is more concerned about being close to the restrooms, we're right by the students and Purple Haze, and we have the dancing lady 7 rows below us. I mean, people weren"t happy with the way the team was playing, but it was more disappointed than being angry about every little thing. I think people that complain, as you have mentioned on the things you listed, are probably not happy people overall.
Lumberjack Battalion

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.