Alabama Game

50,840 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thoughts:

Great to see John back.
Karl is a human roller coaster.
Their bigs killed us.
Really poor execution by us late on O and D.
Just gave up too many easy looks from deep.
Like expected, played balls out.
Despite loss, pretty good way to enter SLC play.
fortWorthJack
Nice to see John back.

The team needs a lot of help on defense and rebounds. Bama could afford to take so many 3s because of the rebound margin. Gotta clean that up.

Also we need better ball movement and shooters ready on the wings. But hey, we can do that with John now. Good effort just need to balance our game.
TallTexan
Hate losing but that was a blast. The crowd was turned up to 11.

Bama played really well and even contested shots went in.

And man oh man is it good to have Comeaux back.

Let's go beat the snot outta some SLC teams.
Pilotgirl
djsfw57 said:

I'm not satisfied with the outcome, but I'm not embarrassed by our play either. I can't help but think what things would be like tonight if we had all our guys healthy from day one. Next year is a long way off, but at least I know we have another exciting season to look forward to.

You just giving up on the season? We aren't out yet! And with John back?! I think as a whole, we played good ball tonight. Issues: not getting defensive rebounds, and turnovers at key times (bc they were too excited, IMO). our shot was a bit off byt we played good D and had opportunity to bring in closer.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Hate losing but that was a blast. The crowd was turned up to 11.

Bama played really well and even contested shots went in.

And man oh man is it good to have Comeaux back.

Let's go beat the snot outta some SLC teams.

I will be back on Wednesday nite, being just as loud! We gotta rematch w/1st game in SLU. Ya'll remember that first game last yr?? Gotta get some revenge! Still need people to show up!
Pilotgirl
MasterAxe said:

Thoughts:

Great to see John back.
Karl is a human roller coaster.
Their bigs killed us.
Really poor execution by us late on O and D.
Just gave up too many easy looks from deep.
Like expected, played balls out.
Despite loss, pretty good way to enter SLC play.

Totally agree. And we never agree.
jboy93
What the heck is wrong with Sammy?
BigJack85
I'll agree that the defense had lapses but for 70% of the game it looked tournament caliber. If we get Aaron back I am confident that this team will be playing that "scary" type of defense that wins conference titles and ncaa tournament games. Till then we'll just have to win games on guts and determination. This team is simply not going to overpower a team athletically without TJ and Aaron. Those two are simply the best we've got at the 1 and 4 slot. Without them we are just an above average mid-major squad. Probably the 2nd best squad in the SLC.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
jboy93 said:

What the heck is wrong with Sammy?

I think the same injury as TJ but doesn't require surgery...just rehab/rest.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

I will be back on Wednesday nite, being just as loud! We gotta rematch w/1st game in SLU. Ya'll remember that first game last yr?? Gotta get some revenge! Still need people to show up!

What the heck, we're playing on Wednesdays again?

Stinking SLC.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

What the heck, we're playing on Wednesdays again?

Stinking SLC.

Come on! Make the trip! Students still won't be back so we need all the people we can get! Somebody posted in the ticket thread that they needed a ticket, just in case....
TallTexan
We'll be there. I just hate it because we lose a decent portion of the church crowd.
TallTexan
Huge shoutout to Ivey and the Athletic department. Capacity crowd on Christmas break? That's one heck of a great job.

Let's get a P5 to town every year.
SFAXE93
Maybe this opens the door for more P5 teams to make the trip. It could become the destination to play, a bucket list destination for all programs.

7,203 was the official count.
BigJack85
I don't know about that. It's still like pulling teeth to get someone to risk a loss with little resume upside. I do think there is possibilities. Frankly, if we had TJ and Aaron from day 1 we win this game pulling away.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
No-look
Wanted a win but we played well. We showed that we belong. Ball bounced Bama's way in crunch time especially with those offensive rebounds. Fitzgerald shots weren't falling tonight. Getting John back is huge! Competitive game and we showed up for National TV. Good game to lead into Conference play. Starting to come together.
SFAJack_76
Got home and rolled through this thread. Really not much to add,however...

Great crowd. Great job by Ivey and team promoting it.

Bogues was Bogues until he got what appeared to be a cramp. Had nearly half of our turnovers which is not okay.

Kevon was Kevon ... in the second half. Took him a while to get going, but when he did, wow.

Beyond missing some short shots, Nicholas may have had his best game as a Jack. Love, love, love his energy.

Fitzgerald had perhaps his worst game on the offensive end which, I think, negatively influenced him on the defensive end. If he shoots like he has been, this would have been a much closer game. He has to hit the boards.

Comeaux. I am so happy for the young man to be able to be back doing what he loves. Remember that he has had six surgeries in his short life. How in the world does he play at that level in his first game in nine months. I was simply blown away.

The real season starts Wednesday. Big game. Hoping for a decent crowd.
PurpleOut
Staff
That was a lot of fun. Hate losing obviously, but let's be real, that Bama team was pretty good.

Didn't think we played that bed. Comeaux back, as mentioned, was phenomenal. Huge boost for the season. I think we win tonight if Fitzgerald plays better. He struggled on both ends of the floor (closing out on Norris shooting threes).

Crowd, was arguably the best it's ever been. First time I can be proud of "how" we cheered. My friend in from Austin (biggest UT alum/fan, google Longhorn Roadtrip), thought it was awesome in the second half. Making constant noise when we are on defense is exactly what I've been asking for. Looking forward to watching some again on the DVR.

See y'all Wednesday!
nacluth
Just watched the second half (which I missed). Like everyone said, a solid game by the Jacks. I've seen Alabama play before and I knew they were the most consistent offense we've seen this year. They just don't have streaks without buckets. I was proud that we scrabbled back from 12 down to bring it to 3, but couldn't get over the hump.

John was so huge. Standing O for him. I've suddenly gotten excited about a Augustin/Comeaux point. They can open the offense. Fitz had a rough night, but Nicholas played well. Kevon is our foul inducer, but if he never drives, we don't get to the line. He has to get inside earlier. What freshmen guards?

Ready to trash SELA.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
djsfw57
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

djsfw57 said:

I'm not satisfied with the outcome, but I'm not embarrassed by our play either. I can't help but think what things would be like tonight if we had all our guys healthy from day one. Next year is a long way off, but at least I know we have another exciting season to look forward to.

You just giving up on the season? We aren't out yet! And with John back?! I think as a whole, we played good ball tonight. Issues: not getting defensive rebounds, and turnovers at key times (bc they were too excited, IMO). our shot was a bit off byt we played good D and had opportunity to bring in closer.
No, I didn't mean it to sound that way at all. Those were just raw feelings after losing a game I really thought we could win. We still have a lot of ball to play, and I'm sure we will be in the NCAA tournament again - and who knows what will happen then?
RedRiverLa
BigJack85 said:

I don't know about that. It's still like pulling teeth to get someone to risk a loss with little resume upside. I do think there is possibilities. Frankly, if we had TJ and Aaron from day 1 we win this game pulling away.

I kinda had that same thought, but I think the way it was being played and called underneath, I just think TJ would have gotten in early foul trouble and had to sit more than we would have liked. But I would have liked to have found out.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
BTW, massive kudos to everyone coordinating this game. Game day operations were A+. It went off flawless and I challenge any top 10 school to put on such a flawless event. From the parking lot staff, police, event promotions! They all hit this one out of the park. (Plus I still have a set of unused thunder sticks!) Baker would be very proud of how brightly SFA shown tonight.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Just watched the second half (which I missed).
Well, now we know where to lay the blame.

How'd it sound on TV?
nacluth
Pretty decent, but nothing like the energy that was in the place. I thought the first half was good before I left. If I could have stayed through the second, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to speak now.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Crowd, was arguably the best it's ever been. First time I can be proud of "how" we cheered. My friend in from Austin (biggest UT alum/fan, google Longhorn Roadtrip), thought it was awesome in the second half. Making constant noise when we are on defense is exactly what I've been asking for. Looking forward to watching some again on the DVR.

See y'all Wednesday!
It really was phenomenal. Just noise and chants coming from all over the place. Crowd definitely caused a few turnovers.

I think that's a hostile environment we can build on. Was talking to said friend earlier and his boss(who was cheering for Bama) and he was like I haven't been to Nac to watch a game in 16 years and that was spectacular. Hopefully we made a few new fans in the community as well.

If there was a crowd of the week award for college basketball, I feel like we'd have won it.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Pretty decent, but nothing like the energy that was in the place. I thought the first half was good before I left. If I could have stayed through the second, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to speak now.
I planned ahead and had extra water to make sure I kept the pipes at peak yelling condition. I think it was the LA Tech game, I could barely whisper for two days.
TallTexan
Also, what do you guys think about rally towels next time instead of thundersticks?
nacluth
Some stats that might be important.

John "The Stud" Comeaux : 13 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast

Starting forwards: Fitz: 4 pts, Bain: 2 pts, Mitch: 0 pts.

Bogues: 38 min. Harris: 39 min. Walker: 3 min. Hughes: 0 min.
TallTexan
Felt like Bain played better than that. I would have guessed 6 or 8, not 2.
cboothe09
Not a good game at all for Fitz. Even the announcers were questioning his shot decisions. It wasnt good...

Mitch I dont think was bad, but definitely looked like a freshman against a hell of a big man from Bama. Bain may not have scored, but dude was a gamer.

I'm thinking with John back, he will be taking some of Hughes minutes. I hope he can get some good minutes in conference play.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Felt like Bain played better than that. I would have guessed 6 or 8, not 2.

Bain was playing D and catching 4 fouls in process. But he hussles like crazy. So did John AKA my new fav player.

Also, NO ONE FOULED OUT...ANOTHER WIN
Pilotgirl
This may just be me...but having just 1 more available player (John) allowed for so many more combinations. I know Key and Shannon still played the majority of game ....
nacluth
Definitely all three of the starting forwards are key defensively - especially Bain who elevates the defense whenever he's in. Just making the point that 60% of our starters didn't contribute to offense.
cboothe09
I agree. I dont think it was lack of effort, but just couldn't convert. Donta Hall was a monster defensively and kept Mitch quiet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.