WEEK 2: NORTH TEXAS

5,466 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by SFAXE93
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Damn, Don't like to see a bad injury like that to anyone.
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Damn, Don't like to see a bad injury like that to anyone.

That looks like something really bad in his leg. Those trainers and docs were on him quick.

When they threw up the X, that's a bad sign
Ljacks&Longnecks
Classy move by the injured young man to call the whole team over before driving off. That was emotional and a good feeling that he thought of team at that point.
MeanGreenMenace
I usually just lurk on opponent's forums during the game to see what the fans are talking about, but I had to say SFA is not only a class act, but has been very impressive on the field as well
MasterAxe
MeanGreenMenace said:

I usually just lurk on opponent's forums during the game to see what the fans are talking about, but I had to say SFA is not only a class act, but has been very impressive on the field as well

If you really wanna see composed, nuanced, and reasonable discussion: Join us when basketball season hits.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Thanks menace. I was glad to see our trainers jump right in to help when you knew it was not good...and the team get back and take the knee.
Hope your guy Price heals well.
Ljacks&Longnecks
BIG Pic. Still in this game.
65tosspowertrap
OK, another great INT. Now, do something with it.
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
MeanGreenMenace
disgraceful
65tosspowertrap
MeanGreenMenace said:

disgraceful
you mean what I said? I meant no disrespect, just exhorting SFA to capitalize...which they didn't unfortunately

MeanGreenMenace
nah, just complaining about the number of interceptions thrown by my QB
65tosspowertrap
well that might do it, given how the offense can't move the ball.

Ljacks&Longnecks
Yep that defensive holding penalty was a killer.
SFASawmillGuy
Regardless of how the next 14 minutes go, I'm incredibly proud of this SFA team. Definitely need to clean stuff up but Vidlak looks like the guy.
SFAXE93
I'm impressed with how much the defense has improved and more aggressive.
FormerJack
Screens and hitches aren't gonna cut it . Also what happened to the fast tempo this offense was suppose to have ?
FormerJack
Mutz wasn't lying when he said the defense was going to be flying around !
SFAXE93
I guess Jenkins is the RB, what happened to everybody else?
MasterAxe
FormerJack said:

Screens and hitches aren't gonna cut it . Also what happened to the fast tempo this offense was suppose to have ?
You mean you don't love the inevitable 3rd and 6 WR screen?
65tosspowertrap
If UNT is smart they don't throw another pass. SFA desperately needs a turnover.

SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

FormerJack said:

You mean you don't love the inevitable 3rd and 6 WR screen?

I mean, if you want an up tempo air raid offense, it's gonna have a ton of screen passes. That's just how those offenses always work.

But I'm actually glad we didn't go up tempo a lot against UNT. Up tempo offenses are nice when you have an even playing field. When you don't, drives will never last very long or take a lot of time or the clock by design. So the defense is out there a ton. If we thought we were outmatched, wait until we're outmatched and tired.

That's good strategy to slow it down against a team like this.
Ljacks&Longnecks
UNT plays "up tempo" the way it is supposed to be played. They get to the line and go. SFA gets to the line then spends 10 seconds looking to the sideline for a play. That's not up tempo. Perhaps that is the way they wanted to play tonight vs an FBS team. We will see next week how up tempo we go against McNeese.
65tosspowertrap
Gentlemen, it's been a night. Proud of the way the young men acquitted themselves. Enjoyed the exchanges. I've got to get up and work a golf tournament tomorrow.

God Bless and Axe 'Em from Dripping Springs,
Martin

SFASawmillGuy
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

UNT plays "up tempo" the way it is supposed to be played. They get to the line and go. SFA gets to the line then spends 10 seconds looking to the sideline for a play. That's not up tempo. Perhaps that is the way they wanted to play tonight vs an FBS team. We will see next week how up tempo we go against McNeese.

As I said, it looks like we intentionally slowed our offense down to make sure we don't get fatigued later in the game. UNT can afford to do that against us or really any FBS team.

We can afford to do it against any FCS team. We can't afford to get tired against an FBS team.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Good effort tonight. There was no blowout and no give up. Now we head into FCS play, I hope to see this advertised offense go to work. We certainly should be competitive every game rest of way.

And Carthel---Take the points when you can get em.
MasterAxe
I feel pretty good, even with a loss.

Probably better than UNT feels with a win.

That said…hopefully our coaches quit making decisions with their dick instead of their brain before we lose a game because they refuse to take points.
BigJack85
MeanGreenMenace said:

As previously mentioned, "wait until basketball season". This is about as tame as it gets.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFASawmillGuy
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Good effort tonight. There was no blowout and no give up. Now we head into FCS play, I hope to see this advertised offense go to work. We certainly should be competitive every game rest of way.

And Carthel---Take the points when you can get em.

Agreed. Even though Nicholls and UIW both looked very solid today, I feel like we should go into every game the rest of the year with a feeling like "we can win", instead of just hoping we can.
SFASawmillGuy
My post game thoughts:

-Sam Vidlak looks for real. He was under pressure a lot and UNT did a great job shutting our WRs down, but he still managed to deliver some really nice passes under pressure and extend plays to find open guys. A QB who is really solid under pressure is something SFA hasn't had, at least consistently, in a long time.

-The defense is good. The aggression is something we missed the past 2 seasons and will probably be the difference between a decent season and a phenomenal season.

-We still haven't seen what our offense can really do. It certainly did not look like we opened our playbook up this week like we had hoped. I think maybe it was because this was a money game and maybe the coaches didn't see as much value in it, but I don't think we've seen how good our offense can be.

-Campos is still automatic. Would love to see us use him more when drives stall out in his range instead of going for it when we don't need to.

-As frustrating as it is, we could have and 100% should have won this game. 4 takeaways, one ran back for a touchdown, and dominating the line of scrimmage for most of the game. I'm not entirely sure why we went for it so much and if it worked we would be praising Carthel, but I think the last 2 minutes of the first half and the first 2 minutes of the second half is where we lost the game. We won 56 minutes, lost 4, and that's what it took.

-Remember when Carthel got here and the biggest thing we saw was his teams had zero quit in them, something SFA hadn't seen in a while? Well this team at least so far seems to have absolutely zero quit in them. That will go a long way when it comes to keeping fans on board the train.

-Overall this team has the potential to go far, very far, just need to keep our heads up and keep our feet moving. Can't wait til next Saturday in the bayou.
djsfw57
MasterAxe said:

MeanGreenMenace said:

If you really wanna see composed, nuanced, and reasonable discussion: Join us when basketball season hits.
That started my Saturday off with a huge laugh. Thanks!
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAXE93
"We're going to play a style unlike anybody else in the country, in terms of our speed, aggression, the effort that we play with, the discipline that we play with."

DC Mike Mutz (2nd season at SFA)

62 TKL, 10 TFL, 6 QBH, 3 Sacks, 3 PBU, 3 INTs (North Texas game)

That wasn't just some DC talking, Mutz has this defense dialed in.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

"We're going to play a style unlike anybody else in the country, in terms of our speed, aggression, the effort that we play with, the discipline that we play with."

DC Mike Mutz (2nd season at SFA)

62 TKL, 10 TFL, 6 QBH, 3 Sacks, 3 PBU, 3 INTs (North Texas game)

That wasn't just some DC talking, Mutz has this defense dialed in.

That's championship defense numbers. If/when the offense catches up, this will be a scary team.
SFAXE93
"Campos is still automatic. Would love to see us use him more when drives stall out in his range instead of going for it when we don't need to."

I agree totally, you have an All-American PK that can get you points and chip away at the lead.

Get what Carthel is doing going for it at times, (no guts no glory) easy to criticize on the hindsight, but seems points are left on the table.

Doesn't matter though, that 80-yard UNT TD run was the killer.

1st Q - SFA on the UNT 45, drive stalls at the UNT 36, turnover on downs, possible 3 points
3rd Q - SFA on the SFA 25, drive stalls at the UNT 26, turnover on downs, possible 3 points
4th Q - SFA on the SFA 25, drive stalls at the UNT 24, turnover on downs, possible 3 points (14:16 remaining)

1 for 6 on 4th down
FormerJack
Less than 250 yards of total offense last night.

Defense did all they could with what Carthel did to them on all of those failed 4th down attempts. I get Wanting to be aggressive and go for it but the offense hadnt been moving the ball at all and it just put our defense in bad spots.

Vidlak had good pocket presence but didn't know what to do once he got out, deer in headlights outside of the pocket.

Oline looked really bad against a 3 down front.

I'm really excited for this defense, UNT scored 52 against South Ala and barely sniffed 35 even with us handing them field position

Offense on the other hand… got a lot of work to do, our defense was handing the offense great field position most of the night and we would simply piss down our leg.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

My post game thoughts:

-Sam Vidlak looks for real. He was under pressure a lot and UNT did a great job shutting our WRs down, but he still managed to deliver some really nice passes under pressure and extend plays to find open guys. A QB who is really solid under pressure is something SFA hasn't had, at least consistently, in a long time.

-The defense is good. The aggression is something we missed the past 2 seasons and will probably be the difference between a decent season and a phenomenal season.

-We still haven't seen what our offense can really do. It certainly did not look like we opened our playbook up this week like we had hoped. I think maybe it was because this was a money game and maybe the coaches didn't see as much value in it, but I don't think we've seen how good our offense can be.

-Campos is still automatic. Would love to see us use him more when drives stall out in his range instead of going for it when we don't need to.

-As frustrating as it is, we could have and 100% should have won this game. 4 takeaways, one ran back for a touchdown, and dominating the line of scrimmage for most of the game. I'm not entirely sure why we went for it so much and if it worked we would be praising Carthel, but I think the last 2 minutes of the first half and the first 2 minutes of the second half is where we lost the game. We won 56 minutes, lost 4, and that's what it took.

-Remember when Carthel got here and the biggest thing we saw was his teams had zero quit in them, something SFA hadn't seen in a while? Well this team at least so far seems to have absolutely zero quit in them. That will go a long way when it comes to keeping fans on board the train.

-Overall this team has the potential to go far, very far, just need to keep our heads up and keep our feet moving. Can't wait til next Saturday in the bayou.

I'll be at the Bayou on Saturday. Anyone going to join me?

Axe 'Em Jacks
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.