WEEK 2: NORTH TEXAS

5,449 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

(RV) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (1-0) VS. NORTH TEXAS (1-0)

WHEN: September 7, 2024 (Sat.) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: Denton, Texas (DATCU Stadium)
TV: ESPN+

SERIES HISTORY (1925-1994)

WINS:4
LOSSES:22
TIES:3

Last time they played (Tie 33-33 in Nacogdoches 1994)

The Lumberjacks of SFA travel to Denton, Texas to take on the red hot high scoring North Texas Mean Green out of the American Conference.

UNT has won their last 3 games with scores of 35-28 (Tulsa) 45-42 (UAB) and 52-38 (South Alabama) Due in part to the return of former UIW head coach Eric Morris, who took over the role of head coach in 2023 after a season as OC at Washington State.

Known for his offensive schemes, Morris has quickly turned UNT Football into one of the top offensives in the nation, having a 3,000 yard passing QB, a 1,000 yard receiver, while averaging almost 500 yards in total offense a game (6th in the nation) #12 in passing offense (305 yards) and #21 in rushing (191.2 yards) scoring 35 points a game in 2023.

This season the Mean Green have not skipped a beat, kicking things off in Mobile, Alabama scoring 52 points against South Alabama, with 550 total yards of offense.

TCU transfer QB #4 Chandler Morris 6-0; 191 (Jr.) completed 32 passes for 415 yards and 3 TD's while rushing for 17 yards and 2 more scores. Wide Receiver #8 Damon Ward Jr. 5-11; 204 (Sr.) had a career day with 12 catches for 230 yards and 2 TD's.

UNT one weakness though is their defense, USA actually out gained the Mean Green in total offense Saturday night with 580 total yards. The Jaguars gained 4.5 yards per rush for 150 yards on the ground while passing for 432. North Texas basically just out scores you.

SFA has not beaten an FBS opponent in 24 years (34-31 @Louisiana Tech 2000) but has been close and more competitive since Coby Carthel arrived in the Nac.

Can the Lumberjacks exploit that weak Mean Green defense with their quick and speedy FBS transfer receivers, while the defense does just enough to slow down Morris' offense?

Tune in to ESPN+ Saturday night to find out!

Axe'Em!
SFASawmillGuy
I watched their matchup against South Alabama this past weekend. When South Alabama played sound football they held UNT, but South Alabama didn't play much sound football. Lots of mistakes gifted UNT good field position and broken plays.

Broken defensive plays have been our Achilles heel in the past, but they certainly didn't look better than the Troy team we gave a small scare to a year ago.

It's gonna depend on how we start. If we can limit mistakes early and not beat ourselves, we can find ourselves back in that position Carthel has gotten us to a couple of times in his tenure, being in position to beat an FBS team.

Then we face the next challenge. Finishing the game.

I think we're in a different situation than most FCS teams in that this game does mean more to us right now. We need a strong showing to make up for the NAU matchup or cover the difference in the eyes of the playoff committee. Do we NEED to win? No. But I feel like we NEED to give them a good game to pass the eye test if we want something to fall back on if we don't win the conference.

About how we matchup against UNT, I honestly have no clue. I think we look much better than we did a year ago based on what I've seen. But I've only seen some practice and the NAU game. I have no clue how we will look against an opponent who can defend themselves.
Laces Out Marino
I watched most of the 1st half and some of the 2nd half and S Bama definitely had missed opportunities. At least 3 or 4 times I saw a speedy WR 5-10 yds behind the DBs and the QB under threw the ball. If he hits a couple of those in stride they walk in for a TD and it's a different ball game. Game was closer than the score. I think if we give our QB a little time in the pocket we can stretch the field on them. Our WRs are every bit as good as S Bama.

We will need to get pressure on Morris for sure and not give up the quick slants. Made a lot of nice throws in rhythm. If we can make him uncomfortable and disrupt his rhythm I think we have a chance.
BigJack85
Laces Out Marino said:

I watched most of the 1st half and some of the 2nd half and S Bama definitely had missed opportunities. At least 3 or 4 times I saw a speedy WR 5-10 yds behind the DBs and the QB under threw the ball. If he hits a couple of those in stride they walk in for a TD and it's a different ball game. Game was closer than the score. I think if we give our QB a little time in the pocket we can stretch the field on them. Our WRs are every bit as good as S Bama.

We will need to get pressure on Morris for sure and not give up the quick slants. Made a lot of nice throws in rhythm. If we can make him uncomfortable and disrupt his rhythm I think we have a chance.

I like your take.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
BigJack85
My prediction

UNT 48 SFA 21.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
Jyank24
What a STRONG start!!!!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Great start by Defense.
SFASawmillGuy
Too conservative on offense in that first drive but good job not giving up scoring position. Campos is deadly anywhere inside 55 yards.
SFASawmillGuy
A little too aggressive on that drive. Let the receiver get behind us. Need to rebound with a quick offensive drive.
FormerJack
Interesting fact that I learned just looking at espn , Sam Vidlak has negative (-) 155 career rushing yards.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Reality starting to set in......we are going to get a lesson on how to run a fast and furious offense.
65tosspowertrap
looks like its going to be a long evening. Other than the interception has UNT QB had an incompletion?
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
SFASawmillGuy
65tosspowertrap said:

looks like its going to be a long evening. Other than the interception has UNT QB had an incompletion?

One on a bad out route but no, other than that he's been on target. A couple of those passes are absolutely not on our defense either. Absolutely no way to defend a perfect pass.
Jyank24
If we can figure out how to cover, our interior D looks strong
MasterAxe
One thing I value most is loyalty.

To family, friends, etc…

I respect that no matter what, no matter the OC, we're gonna run that WR screen for 2 yards, no matter what.

That's loyalty.
SFASawmillGuy
UNT has a dynamic offense. That's it. They have a few different ways they can attack and they're all good.
MasterAxe
Pick 6!
SFASawmillGuy
LETS ****ING GOOOOOOO
Buckets
What a ****ing play!!!
Jyank24
Proud of that 1st quarter, this team plays with aggression
Buckets
If the offense ever gets going, we might have a shot at the upset tonight, Lumberjacks!
SFASawmillGuy
We haven't seen this aggression on defense since 2021! I love it!
65tosspowertrap
seems like running plays take way too long to get going

Ljacks&Longnecks
For a "fast" offense, we still spend too much time looking at the sideline for a play.
Buckets
This isn't necessarily an SFA specific comment, but I will never understand snapping the football 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage when you need a yard or less. It just doesn't make sense…
Ljacks&Longnecks
Credit to the defense for coming back strong after the 2 UNT TD drives. Defense has then somewhat rattled and off guard offensively.
65tosspowertrap
Buckets said:

This isn't necessarily an SFA specific comment, but I will never understand snapping the football 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage when you need a yard or less. It just doesn't make sense…
Amen, brother. Showing my age but I'm not the biggest fan of the shotgun, especially short yardage situations.

Buckets
Now we're cooking with gas, offense!!! LFG!!!
65tosspowertrap
How about that! Vidlak looked cooked and here we are with a lead

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.