WEEK 8: ABILENE CHRISTIAN

8,063 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by RedRiverLa
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

So instead of going for a tying FG we go and get a pass interference and end up punting and a poor punt.

Seem to have outsmarted ourselves there. Down 3 going to 4th quarter.

That's why I'm saying there must be something wrong with Campos. We've never been shy about kicking a field goal before and this year we hardly ever kick field goals.

I see no other reason why that big of a change was made.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Correct call for the FG this time to tie at 27. Can we turn a close one into a win this time??
SFASawmillGuy
Don't like the surprise onside kick there, but then again if it was a good one we'd be praising the call.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Sorry but we are way overdoing the onside kick now. Now ACU great field position with 11 minutes left.
65tosspowertrap
That attempted onside kick maybe the most pivotal moment of this game. Don't understand it.
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
Ljacks&Longnecks
ACU appears to be going on the 4th and 1 from the 12. Playing on the road I would probably go for the FG. Their guy is 10 for 10 this season.
We'll see after the timeout.
65tosspowertrap
Yep. Terrible decision on the onside kick and it cost them. Textbook example of being too clever by half. SFA's defense needs a long field to work with to have a chance to stop ACU.

BigJack85
SFA football. Inventing ways to lose since 1923
AxeEm99
Remember "That's on us coaches!" That is what you will hear on Monday!
RedRiverLa
65tosspowertrap said:

That attempted onside kick maybe the most pivotal moment of this game. Don't understand it.

Me either. It's why we are down 7. We just don't play the smart percentages at home. In the crowd and we are all yelling 'punt' or 'field goal', trying to coach this team from row 44, lol.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
BigJack85
Our band is winning.
65tosspowertrap
Watching on laptop west of Austin. Coach puts an inexperienced QB in a terrible spot having to overcome that lead. The ESPN announcers must be paid to not be critical, because criticism is called for. No mention of the consequences of that onside kick.

65tosspowertrap
Shameful.

RedRiverLa
Our magical season continues.
Lumberjack Battalion
AxeEm99
Our heaven sent head coach "who chose us" and was going to take us to the promise land is now 26 wins and 27 losses. Yall tired of this yet????
RedRiverLa
So many things. Not all bad, but when you're struggling, who calls an onside kick in a tie game at home?
Lumberjack Battalion
sfajack05
Whelp
65tosspowertrap
You guys are there. Is Carthel under any kind of pressure from AD or administration? Or from fan base, boosters? This loss isn't because starting QB is injured. Or losing last year's star players. This is coaching ineptitude plain and simple. Onside kick decision is inexcusable.

Outsider
My respect as always to you guys. Weeks is a good QB. After 4 losses to you it was our turn. We got extremely frustrated with our guys as well tonight, but that's because it's always nerve-racking playing you guys. We had this game circled all year and our defense never gave up. You still hold the series. Sorry we wrecked your homecoming, but you guys wrecked our WAC championship last year. That's why this rivalry is so good...
AxeEm99
If Carthel is not under pressure he definitely should be!! Perhaps the 16 coaches who have resigned in the last 5 years knew alot more than we do.... That an absolute train wreck was in the making!
You cant have the number 1, 2 or 10 recruiting class and perform like this!

MasterAxe
Cue up the exponentially accurate Jim Mora quote that sums up our season:

"And that was a disgraceful performance in my opinion. We threw that game. We gave it away by doing that! We gave them the friggin' game! In my opinion, that sucked!"

(High-pitched, incredulous sounding voice)

"What's that? Ah...PLAYOFFS?! Don't talk about, PLAYOFFS?!? You kidding me?!?! PLAYOFFS?!?!? I just hope we can win a game!"
Ljacks&Longnecks
Outsider, you are welcome here anytime. Was a back and forth game and certainly didn't hurt in building the rivalry.
sfajack05
SFA football can no longer hurt me
Ljacks&Longnecks
99, if you had any clue to the 16 coaches that "moved on" They didn't quit coaching because you say we suck.....they got better paying offers with FBS schools such as La Tech, TCU and others.

I didn't like the onside try tonight so I was going to let you haters run wild and have the board but must call out ignorance (to be polite) when you provide it. Go to bed tonight and dream on your crushes Fritz and Keeler!
AxeEm99
Will do! Had the 16 thought we were really going to the playoffs and maybe a championship they would have stayed!! Keep following the Carthel train... Its headed for a derailment!!
(Just please remember that Fritz and Keeler are coaches that delivered in UNDER 5 YEARS in our same recruiting area/recruiting pool!!)
nacluth
Off topic, but was that the best fireworks show this town has seen? That was incredible.
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

99, if you had any clue to the 16 coaches that "moved on" They didn't quit coaching because you say we suck.....they got better paying offers with FBS schools such as La Tech, TCU and others.

I didn't like the onside try tonight so I was going to let you haters run wild and have the board but must call out ignorance (to be polite) when you provide it. Go to bed tonight and dream on your crushes Fritz and Keeler!

Thank you. I typed & erased 15 things that weren't nice but you said it best.
MasterAxe
At least now we can focus all our energy and emotional cache towards the basketball team, which has a 0% possibility of breaking our soul this year.
Jacks4460
AxeEm99 said:

Will do! Had the 16 thought we were really going to the playoffs and maybe a championship they would have stayed!! Keep following the Carthel train... Its headed for a derailment!!
(Just please remember that Fritz and Keeler are coaches that delivered in UNDER 5 YEARS in our same recruiting area/recruiting pool!!)

They left for more money 99... You don't have a clue..
Ljacks&Longnecks
Your ignorance is amazing. The 16 coaches moved UP to FBS which included nice raises because FCS schools can't pay that kind of money. Much like if you were making 75k a year in your job and then a larger company came along and offered you 150K annually to do the same job. Are you staying or going??

You are a tired 'One Trick Pony" who can only repeat the same old tired 3 or 4 lines about SFA football. If we hire a new coach tomorrow, in 2 or 3 years you would be back with the same tired lines. Vaudeville died a long time ago, you need to try and formulate some new talking points.

If I were to Google "McCarty and Hill" and "Fritz and Keeler" or "Are you tired of this yet" the first 50 or 60 hits would be the repetitive 99 from the Sawmill Forum.
AxeEm99
Thanks for taking the high road. I have never called any of you out when I disagreed with your comments, even though we have had different views for quite some time. I respect your views, please respect mine!!
The train wreck I have thought was coming for a few seasons is now full steam ahead. Its sad for SFA and you and I that we are continuing down the same path we have been for the last 25+ years in Football.... We are not going to the playoffs on a recurring basis (and definitely not a championship) any time soon!!
AxeEm99
Interestingly enough, the last time recently I was offered more money from an employer, I chose to stay where I was at because of the culture, and because I thought more about the long term success we were going to achieve.... 16 in 5 years is a lot. I would bet that is significantly higher than all of the consistent top 5 FCS teams put together in the last 5 years. There is definately to the story than just the money!!
nacluth
MasterAxe said:

At least now we can focus all our energy and emotional cache towards the basketball team, which has a 0% possibility of breaking our soul this year.
Just had a vision of March.
rc
Let me join Outsider in saying our rivalry is a good thing. I am a Wildcat and frankly I miss many of our old opponents who are no longer around. But you guys are always going to be a good fight in more than just football. Something I liked about tonight's game was both sides had helping hands to help pick up opponents off the ground. I know ACU circles games against you both in football and basketball, and in women's sports as well. The WAC is a better conference than the Southland but so many teams are sort of unknown to us in Central West Texas. So glad we can continue to compete in the WAC.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

AxeEm99 said:

They left for more money 99... You don't have a clue..

So 99, you accidently admitted that the "approaching Carthel train derailment" was really only your opinion and not that of the assistant coaches that left for more money. Thanks for clearing that up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.