WEEK 8: ABILENE CHRISTIAN

7,717 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by RedRiverLa
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (3-4; 0-2) VS. ABILENE CHRISTIAN (3-3; 1-1)

WHEN: Oct. 21, 2023 (Sat.) 4:00 P.M.
WHERE: Nacogdoches, Texas (Homer Bryce Stadium)
TV: ESPN+
Homecoming Weekend (Wear Purple)

SERIES (SFA leads the series 13-10-0 winning the last 4 meetings, including 7 of the last 8)

2022: W 24-21 (Away) +3
2022: W 41-38 (Home) +3
2021: W 41-27 (Home) +14
2020: W 35-32 (Neutral) +3
2019: L 24-31 (2OT) -7
2018: W 24-21 (Home) +3
2017: W 20-10 (Away) +10
2016: W 41-30 (Home) +11
2015: L 32-35 (Away) -3

The Lumberjacks of SFA return home for Homecoming Weekend, ready to host the Wildcats of Abilene Christian.

Even though ACU was out gained in passing, rushing, TOP, and 1st downs, the Wildcats still managed to fight to a 30-13 victory over North Alabama Saturday in Abilene.

In that game on offense Junior QB #1 Maverick McIvor 6-2; 210 completed 12 passes for 206 yards and 2 TD's.
The rushing attack got 127 on the ground behind sophomore RB #3 Rovaughn Banks Jr. 5-10; 200 and RB #26 Jordon Vaughn 6-3; 240 carrying a majority of the load. The offense doesn't make many mistakes, as ACU leads the conference with the least number of turnovers committed, with only 3 INT's.

The Lumberjacks and Wildcats are tied for 2nd in the UAC for sacks allowed at 7, as both teams sport huge offensive lines, that's paying off dividends in QB protection.

On defense the Wildcat's defensive front (last in sacks committed in the UAC) still continues to struggle to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks, not registering a single sack against the Lions in Saturday's game.

As a whole the ACU defense ranks near the bottom of the conference in rushing yards allowed at 218 a game (5.3 per carry) gives up 246 yards passing a game as well.

"Oh what could have been!" has quickly become the theme of the 2023 season, and I guess amazingly as it is, in all this frustration, the Lumberjacks still at least mathematically still have what they want to accomplish in front of them.

Got to go 4-straight, and can a 7-4 season get it done?

Axe'Em
Ljacks&Longnecks
So, any word on Maurer's injury?
SFASawmillGuy
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Carthel said today they're still evaluating and it's day to day. He mentioned MRIs, which isn't promising. Hopefully it was just a stinger or a pinched nerve, which how his arm went limp, I kind of think it is.
Jacks4460
SFASawmillGuy said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Carthel said today they're still evaluating and it's day to day. He mentioned MRIs, which isn't promising. Hopefully it was just a stinger or a pinched nerve, which how his arm went limp, I kind of think it is.

Mauer is a friggin Dawg.. he won't stay down...
SFASawmillGuy
I know Sam Houston fans would try and talk smack saying ACU was SFA's new rival, but I actually do see this series becoming a rivalry. The average victory margin since their transition is 6 points, with multiple 3 point games. With the quality of these matchups, an East Texas vs West Texas rivalry seems like it might build steam to becoming a full fledged official rivalry.

Not to mention our Basketball matchups with the Wildcats have also consistently been must watch basketball.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

I know Sam Houston fans would try and talk smack saying ACU was SFA's new rival, but I actually do see this series becoming a rivalry. The average victory margin since their transition is 6 points, with multiple 3 point games. With the quality of these matchups, an East Texas vs West Texas rivalry seems like it might build steam to becoming a full fledged official rivalry.

Not to mention our Basketball matchups with the Wildcats have also consistently been must watch basketball.

I appreciate that the ACU side cares about more than one game a year in playing us.

Sam was kinda a sucky rival bc it was basically football only for them.
Outsider
I can tell that ACU has had this game circled on their calendar since the final game last year. SFA has proven to be a GREAT rival to ACU in multiple sports and the East Texas vs West Texas match-up only makes it better. Losing to you guys by only 3 points TWICE last year was an extremely bitter pill to swallow. To do it in such "end of the game" fashion as we did, only makes it worse. ACU football has kind of been a disappointment this year and hard to pin down. We showed up and played really well against both UNC and PVAM. Yes, both teams are lower ranked but they also both had a lot of skilled players and they were early in the season games. We came in strong. Then, we lose 3 in a row, again yes to 2 highly ranked FCS teams and one FBS team. Still, it was hard. We played UIW well, but couldn't finish. We didn't even show up for UCA, bombed that one... Then, we come back and actually play UNT pretty decently except for the back 3/4 of the 1st quarter and first of the 2nd quarter. We actually had a really good 2nd half against UNT. I was disappointed in our DL play, even some of our OL play, against UNA. Our play calling was also severely subpar most of the game. We simply couldn't get any kind of rhythm going offensively. Defensively, we gave up way too much yardage on the ground, but we did well with take aways and capitalizing off of them. We also protected the ball. Simply put, we did what we needed to and walked away with the win, even though UNA outgained us and had better TOP. The question is can we do better in the trench and get our offense going again, while continuing to protect the ball and slow you guys down, as well as get a couple of take aways? Interesting thing is, this will also be a game of the two top kickers in the league. Honestly, I told Dustin last night that I couldn't pick at this point. I know it's a must win situation for SFA. Last week was our must win, but really we have to win out the rest of the season just like you guys do. So, this is going to be epic...
Ljacks&Longnecks
Welcome Outsider. Nice post detailing the ACU season. Yes I see ACU and SFA having a good rivalry for a long while, as long as we stay in same conference.
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Mauer is a friggin Dawg.. he won't stay down...
True. It's possible that Maurer will try to come back before he should. Carthel won't risk a players health.
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy said:

Spot on. There has been some conversation between the two schools about how to grow the rivalry.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
Nice post, Outsider. Very good info. It should be yet another close game.
SFAXE93
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

Spot on. There has been some conversation between the two schools about how to grow the rivalry.

This is definitely developing into a rivalry. First and foremost from a basketball perspective. The contests have been intense.

Our futures are intertwined or could be. The WAC is a great conference. The travel challenges remain. If Seattle and CBU left the WAC, I'd feel better about the travel Need to have GCU because of the basketball strength.

If all that (WAC) fell apart I would expect ACU and SFA to consider a fit with the ASUN. Not as good as the WAC, but miles better than the SLC. Having a close travel partner helps.
Chazjack
He is good to go! Dislocated shoulder His family is coming from Florida so hopefully we get that DAWG tomorrow.
SFAXE93
Jacks4460
Chazjack said:

He is good to go! Dislocated shoulder His family is coming from Florida so hopefully we get that DAWG tomorrow.

I am so glad to hear his family is coming to beautiful Nacogdochea.. Mauer is a Dawg for sure.. I would want him on my team that's for sure
Chazjack
Yea they said going to hold him unless game gets close. He wants to go but it's the right call. And we're here now beautiful place thanks for hospitality!
SFA Jack Fanatic
The Purple Haze Jack Charge had a whopping 24 participants. SMH!
Texasheli
When is tje speaker in the scoreboard going to be repaired.
65tosspowertrap
The old man in Dripping Springs likes the purple. I hate the black.
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
SFASawmillGuy
Weeks having some trouble. Back to back picks on high passes.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Many of Weeks passes so far have been high or behind receivers.

Just a factual observation. It is his first start of season so hopefully he gets the touch going.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Yep. Even most of his completions have been high.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Fortunately ACU's passing game has been largely ineffective as well
SFASawmillGuy
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Fortunately ACU's passing game has been largely ineffective as well

Our pass defense has been top notch all season except against Utah Tech. Definitely our best asset.
SFASawmillGuy
I wonder if Campos is hurt. We don't seem to use him as much as we should.
Ljacks&Longnecks
ACU comes out in 2nd half and shoves the ball down our defense's throat for an EZ touchdown drive.
Ljacks&Longnecks
And Wimbley quickly answers with a strong TD run!!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Kick off team needs some work. We are allowing too much return yardage. Also don't get the high kickoff to the 20 that gets returned beyond the 30. We don't seem to have any plan when it comes to kick offs.
Don't like Campos doing the kickoff anyway due to chance of injury.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Defense has wilted here in 3rd quarter.
SFA Jack Fanatic
ACU has the best kicker I've seen in a long time. Strong leg.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Demmings pic saves us from disaster for the time being. Now offense needs to convert.
SFASawmillGuy
ACU called for 2 targeting penalties.
Ljacks&Longnecks
So instead of going for a tying FG we go and get a pass interference and end up punting and a poor punt.

Seem to have outsmarted ourselves there. Down 3 going to 4th quarter.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.