2023 SEASON

38,797 Views | 258 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who is coming back for 2023 and rebuilding seem to be the hot topics right now, so let's just get the 2023 season into discussion.
MasterAxe
Personally, I'm looking forward to the Brian Maurer Power Hour.

#MaurerHour
BigJack85
Looking at the schedule…. At least the part that is available

9/2 - Troy. Probably an L
9/9 - Alcorn. Anyones guess?
9/16 - NWST Improved. Probably a close L.
9/24 - UCA. We just witnessed that story. L.

I'm not looking at us getting above.500 until late in the season. Unless we have some sort of dramatic shift on the defensive side of the ball.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

I'm not looking at us getting above.500 until late in the season. Unless we have some sort of dramatic shift on the defensive side of the ball.
Geez Louise, 85. You have us losing to Northwestern State??? Awfully early in the day to be drinking, don't you think?
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

Geez Louise, 85. You have us losing to Northwestern State??? Awfully early in the day to be drinking, don't you think?

Down and out. For sure.

NWST looks to be improved. SFA , playing craps.
SFAXE93
2023 QB SITUATION

QB:#10 BRIAN MAURER 6-4; 220 (SR.)
G:18;CMP:49;ATT:104;CMP%:47.0;YDS:691;TD:4;INT:6;RYDS:97;TDS:2
QB:#18 PRESTON WEEKS 6-4; 230 (SR.)
G:10;CMP:36;ATT:54;CMP%:67.0;YDS:429;TD:3;INT:0
QB:#19 DALTON MCELYEA 6-3; 183 (SO.)
G:1;CMP:0;ATT:0;CMP%:0.0;YDS:0;TD:0;INT:0;RYDS:18;TD:1
QB:#00 GAVIN RUTHERFORD 6-1; 195 (FR.) <2023 COMMIT>
G:0;CMP:0;ATT:0;CMP%:0.0;YDS:0;TD:0;INT:0;RYDS:0;TD:0
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

2023 QB SITUATION

G:18;CMP:49;ATT:104;CMP%:47.0;YDS:691;TD:4;INT:6;RYDS:97;YDS:2
QB:#12 BLAKE SHORT 6-0; 180 (JR.)
G:2;CMP:13;ATT:16;CMP%:81.0;YDS:112;TD:1;INT:0

Plenty of QB's Maybe one of them can be converted to an effective TE or DB? Probably a stretch. We'll need all hands on deck
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

Frustration is understandable but after looking back at several points in the season we really drastically underperformed with an insanely talented roster , and I think the biggest detractor of the season was the momentum. We never really had it at all this year, and I think a big part of that was the drastic change in defensive philosophy from literally every other year Carthel was here.

Abhorrent tackling aside, our defense was for some reason incredibly conservative this year, where every other year with since Carthel took over it's been super aggressive, consistently making first contact behind the line of scrimmage and always bringing extra guys on the blitz. That meant even when our offense fell behind they didn't have the pressure on them to try and score every single drive.

Jacksonville State took the wind out of our sails very early. I think if we maintained the first quarter momentum and beat them we see a much, much different SFA team midseason than we ended up having. Maybe this humbling year was good for us. Maybe part of it was the overwhelming hype and expectations got to our guys and they were just unable to recover when we fell behind.

This off-season I'm gonna look at not so much who we get as far as new players but how the defense changes to try and fix what was broken. If it's a staff issue, hopefully it'll be addressed. But the team does have a bunch of young talent where I could see us recovering from this gut punch of a season and being strong again.

This season will really test how our team can respond and if they can rebuild into a playoff caliber team again.
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

2023 QB SITUATION

G:18;CMP:49;ATT:104;CMP%:47.0;YDS:691;TD:4;INT:6;RYDS:97;YDS:2
QB:#12 BLAKE SHORT 6-0; 180 (JR.)
G:2;CMP:13;ATT:16;CMP%:81.0;YDS:112;TD:1;INT:0
Maurer will only be a Redshirt Sophmore next year..
Ljacks&Longnecks
Much has been said ---mostly by detractors--about the #3 recruiting class in FCS last year and the failure of said class and coaches. Couple of good reminders here---First the #3 ranking by some "expert" is very subjective.
Secondly and of more importance is that the recruiting class was obviously made up of mostly freshman. I don't know the numbers but I'm sure some of those guys were redshirted to gain weight or grow into Div 1 players. Some of them saw the field with varying degrees of success or not. One recruiting class is not going to march into SFA as pure freshman and mow down all opponents or produce instant success.
Of course we know this team has many issues that need to be addressed before next season and that is on the coaching staff to step up and get to work on. Only some time will tell how this class performs and if the needed improvements come to pass.
SFAXE93
We will see about 2023 commit Trey Wilson, who according to 247sports is the #2 all-time highest recruit (behind Myles Brooks) that SFA has ever landed out of high school.
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

We will see about 2023 commit Trey Wilson, who according to 247sports is the #2 all-time highest recruit (behind Myles Brooks) that SFA has ever landed out of high school.

We are getting skilled players , no doubt. The question seems to me is, "are we getting them in the right positions"? One thing I've noticed about successful coaches, is that they "recast" recruits after a year or two. Often finding that a quality player can contribute more, outside the position he was cast in high school. Let's see what Carthel does with; 1. what we have returning 2. what we have coming in from high school? We'd be fortunate if we found "2" players of impact caliber, directly from high school. We need to upgrade significantly on the D-Line. Imho. If we can snag a "diamond in the rough" JUCO lineman, that would go along way.
SFAXE93
On the d-line or eligible to be back.

DT:#99 EDWARD BOBINO 6-3; 320 (SO.)
DT:#97 KY THOMAS 6-4; 291 (JR.)
DT:#91 CARL WILLIAMS 6-2; 356 (G/SR.)
DT:#50 JORDON THOMAS 6-4; 283 (SO.)
DT:#95 BRANDON LANE 6-4; 287 (SO.)
DT:#93 RASON WILLIAMS II 6-4; 283 (G/SR.)
DT:#90 DEALO MCGEE 6-2; 309 (SR.)
DT:#96 BJ SCARLETT 6-2; 256 (JR.)

DE:#18 MARJE SMITH 6-5; 230 (G/SR.)
DE:#42 TERRANCE WAIR 6-1; 239 (SR.)
DE:#98 CHANCE HILL 6-4; 242 (JR.)
DE:#92 COLTON VATNE 6-4; 280 (R/FR.)
DE:#24 JAMES SYLVESTER 6-4; 243 (SO.)
DE:#52 CAMERON SMITH 6-0; 237 (SO.)
DE:#94 DAVE BABALOLA 6-3; 247 (SO.)
DE:#59 D'IDRIC DUGAN 6-0; 241 (SR.)
DE:#47 RYAN WILLIAMS 6-3; 230 (R/FR.)
DE:#58 MICAH LEEJAY 6-5; 236 (FR.)
DE:#00 TIM MUHAMMAD 6-4; 225 (FR.) (2023 COMMIT)
DE:#00 TREY WILSON 6-3; 240 (FR.) (2023 COMMIT)
BigJack85
Muhammad will see time.
SFAXE93
This guy will be back in 2023

SFASawmillGuy
And so it begins…

SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
Carthel had some very sobering thoughts in his closing presser. The team that was a preseason top 10 team lost several all American defensive players. 8 coaching changes is hard to come back from too. As much as we should've been an undefeated dominant squad, this season had a lot more adversity that it seemed.
Proud of our lumberjacks and proud to see how we bounce back.
Brian Maurer is gonna be fun to watch. Young offense all around. Gonna be very scary in the coming years.
Defense was very shaky but against ACU we finally saw that aggressive style of defense that made us good. Maybe the ship will be righted on that side of the ball.
Regardless I will always be an SFA football fan, I will always support our jacks, and as of right now I can't wait to see us win the 2023 national championship.
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy said:

And so it begins…

This one began in the first game of the season.
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

If we made the jump I'd prefer it to be in an established FBS conference. Gonna be a ton of stadium renovations moving forward in the conference it seems.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

SFAXE93 said:

If we made the jump I'd prefer it to be in an established FBS conference. Gonna be a ton of stadium renovations moving forward in the conference it seems.

Soooo, many moving parts. If the PAC12 takes San Diego State and say…. Fresno You'd see some pretty quick moves to take UTEP and/or NMSU. Conference USA would look at SFA and Tarleton first imho.
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

SFAXE93 said:

Soooo, many moving parts. If the PAC12 takes San Diego State and say…. Fresno You'd see some pretty quick moves to take UTEP and/or NMSU. Conference USA would look at SFA and Tarleton first imho.

I no doubt think that happens before the WAC-Sun goes FBS, but it's interesting to see that this plan exists. Surely the powers at be see that they need to act very, very quickly if they're gonna make this happen.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Still don't like the idea of FBS football for SFA.
IF the WAC and ASUN team up for an FCS football conference and then perhaps move up together in a few years then that would be the only chance I see of us going FBS and staying competitive. Moving up as a group would keep us at an even keel with conference competition. If we go out like Sam and grab a conference invite where several teams have years of FBS play then we become the next Texas St and forge a 35- 85 record for the next number of years. You think no one comes to games now!
I realize that college football is out of control with money grabbing, the transfer portal, rules be damned attitude but jumping headfirst into an established conference will not play to our benefit in football. Yes the athletic program needs more $$ to stay competitive in the current environment but having football go 3-8 each year just to add some money to the budget won't be a winning deal for football.
I can only hope that the powers that be at SFA will think things through and make a decision based on the ability to compete and a long term best interest instead of jumping on the first train that passes by and getting crushed under the wheels.
SFASawmillGuy
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Still don't like the idea of FBS football for SFA.
IF the WAC and ASUN team up for an FCS football conference and then perhaps move up together in a few years then that would be the only chance I see of us going FBS and staying competitive. Moving up as a group would keep us at an even keel with conference competition. If we go out like Sam and grab a conference invite where several teams have years of FBS play then we become the next Texas St and forge a 35- 85 record for the next number of years. You think no one comes to games now!
I realize that college football is out of control with money grabbing, the transfer portal, rules be damned attitude but jumping headfirst into an established conference will not play to our benefit in football. Yes the athletic program needs more $$ to stay competitive in the current environment but having football go 3-8 each year just to add some money to the budget won't be a winning deal for football.
I can only hope that the powers that be at SFA will think things through and make a decision based on the ability to compete and a long term best interest instead of jumping on the first train that passes by and getting crushed under the wheels.

These are very good points and certainly, when we make the jump I completely expect it to be painful to be an SFA fan for a few years. Sam Houston's about to learn that the hard way.

But here's the bright side. If we can figure it out and build up a competitive FBS roster we will make exponentially more money in terms of broadcasts, money games, and the goal will be to make a bowl every year. Now I know no one wants to see us in Kraft Mac and Cheese bowl or whatever the generic sponsored bowls are now, but the fact is those games draw a considerable amount of better attention than FCS games outside of probably the title game.

The jump would make it a statistical impossibility to make the CFB championship game without a mid 2000s Boise state like run of multiple undefeated seasons, but the financial and exposure bonus will more than make up for it IF we can become successful.

Also I for one am curious about the crowd that would be drawn if we hosted Texas Tech or Oklahoma State. Tech at least has visited Texas State, so that would be a massive home game.

And we get the BOTPW back, and since the deal with NRG will likely be done by the time the rivalry is renewed, potentially we could see it return home. Ivey has expressed interest in doing so.
SFAJack_76
Don't take what Carthel said about a WAC/ASUN Football Conference as being a done deal. It is being discussed. It is possible. It is not done.

However it plays out, I am confident in Ivey's leadership to guide SFA through it. He has also been very clear that if SFA goes FBS, it won't be before we are ready. Of course, if/when SFA goes into a system, that Board may have a different point of view.

The next six months should be quite interesting.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Don't take what Carthel said about a WAC/ASUN Football Conference as being a done deal. It is being discussed. It is possible. It is not done.

However it plays out, I am confident in Ivey's leadership to guide SFA through it. He has also been very clear that if SFA goes FBS, it won't be before we are ready. Of course, if/when SFA goes into a system, that Board may have a different point of view.

The next six months should be quite interesting.

If we make a move, I'm convinced going to CUSA makes some sense. Who knows.
SFA88
Moving up with other like-minded universities appeals to me. It reminds me of the Gulf Star Conference. Every team has a chance to remain competitive within the conference and not get their brains kicked in every week. If they stay FCS, I'm okay with that too.

If something can be done with WAC football to add more teams (something permanent with the ASUN or some other way) it will give the WAC more flexibility to add nonfootball schools. As things are now, I feel the WAC should only expand if a school is good in both football and basketball. That's limiting. If football is taken care of, they can add a good basketball only school and continue to strengthen the WAC RPI.
nacluth
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

If we go out like Sam and grab a conference invite where several teams have years of FBS play then we become the next Texas St and forge a 35- 85 record for the next number of years. You think no one comes to games now!
I thought this was our record now in the FCS. There seems to be an opinion that we're a good football program and moving up will relegate us to being a mediocre football program. We are a mediocre football program if record has anything to say about it. I appreciate the WAC championship but we're not and haven't been a top FCS team in a long long time.

I think 76 is right that Ivey isn't going to move us too soon, but if we can be a mediocre FBS team and somehow make more money than a mediocre FCS team, then you do it. If it's a money pit, then you don't. But we are not studs in the FCS nor should we have the expectation that if we stick around we will be. I have hope that Carthel turns it around, but it's been baby steps so far.
SFAJack_76
Six conference championships in 95 years. First one since 2010. SFA has had moments, but has never been a top tier football program no matter the level. I believe we can be in FCS, but that is just my opinion.

I sat through every play of the 77-7 loss to Texas A&I. It could be worse.
SFAXE93
I keep hearing 6, I thought it was 7 conference championships in football.

1935 LONE STAR
1985 GULF STAR
1989 SOUTHLAND
1999 SOUTHLAND
2009 SOUTHLAND
2010 SOUTHLAND
2022 WAC
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

I keep hearing 6, I thought it was 7 conference championships in football.

1935 LONE STAR
1985 GULF STAR
1989 SOUTHLAND
1999 SOUTHLAND
2009 SOUTHLAND
2010 SOUTHLAND
2022 WAC

You are probably right. I was just going off what Carthel has been saying. Six or seven, the point still stands. We have historically been bad at football.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ryan, I completely agree we have a very mediocre history in football, which is a big reason I do not want SFA to go FBS. A few years back on the older version of this board I totalled the SFA lifetime football record and it was about 100 more losses than wins...again this was total lifetime.
To use Texas St again, they had some real winning history in lower divisions but haven't had a whiff of success in FBS. Years of mediocrity for a few extra dollars doesn't work for me but it is likely the future .
Won't change my support, I'll still be here but would lower hope or expectations if history holds.
nacluth
I hear you Ljacks. I wasn't really even responding to your earlier comment - just using it as a springboard. I know that we're all fans who will love SFA through thick and thin. And I totally agree that I think we have more opportunities currently in the FCS arena.

I'll admit that I'm a probably too cynical of a football fan, but I hang in there each year. I never believe the hype. I had very moderate levels for improvement this year. Any one of the three (1. WAC champion; 2. Playoff win; 3. Beat Sam). In some ways we got the easiest of the three, but we weren't far off from all three.

I think it's only fair to expect a playoff win next year. A 6-5 championship will not be improvement. I'm not saying we can Carthel if he doesn't deliver, but I think some realism about our team should be in order.

If I ultimately support an FBS conference it's only because I would like it for our other sports.
Ljacks&Longnecks
SawmillGuy, I applaud your optimism on moving up but no major FBS team will ever come to Nac. Too hard to get to, no airport and little to no reason to give SFA a home game unless it was in return for several visits to their field. Texas St has nearby airports and an Interstate Hwy for travelling opponents that allows them the opportunity to draw in a major opponent.
As for the Mac n Cheese Bowl, it May provide more $$ than an FCS playoff game or championship game but about the only people out there that would be interested or remember who played in it would be the fans of the two schools.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.