WEEK 12: ABILENE CHRISTIAN (PART DEUX)

6,788 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just want to say, I know we've deflected this for years because Sam Houston used it as an insult. I'm here for the rivalry with ACU though. Every game in football and basketball is always intense and both programs are trending up.
Jacks4460
Post of the year 76!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

I just want to say, I know we've deflected this for years because Sam Houston used it as an insult. I'm here for the rivalry with ACU though. Every game in football and basketball is always intense and both programs are trending up.

100%!!!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

Post of the year 76!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your dad, 4460!
SFAJack_76
SFA88
This article is supposed to make me feel good about the team and what they overcame but it has the opposite effect. Clearly, there was too much hype but the athletic department participated in that hype so I can't put that down as something the team overcame. We all should have known the loss of coaches and players was going to be a problem. That's on us. The team got "little comfortable and a little lackadaisical" and we could all see it in the last two games, so the bad press for those games was deserved. You have a WAC championship on the line and you have to resort to bulletin board material to get the team to focus in practice. SMH

Oh well, I'm really am glad they won the championship and I look forward to a better 2023 and a playoff berth.
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
SFA88 said:

This article is supposed to make me feel good about the team and what they overcame but it has the opposite effect. Clearly, there was too much hype but the athletic department participated in that hype so I can't put that down as something the team overcame. We all should have known the loss of coaches and players was going to be a problem. That's on us. The team got "little comfortable and a little lackadaisical" and we could all see it in the last two games, so the bad press for those games was deserved. You have a WAC championship on the line and you have to resort to bulletin board material to get the team to focus in practice. SMH

Oh well, I'm really am glad they won the championship and I look forward to a better 2023 and a playoff berth.
I don't disagree with any of your take. I am encouraged that I have heard Carthel say much of the same in reflection on the season. Particularly as it relates to the reality of what challenges the defense was going to have. I have great confidence that Carthel and staff have learned a lot. I am looking forward to seeing how the team and staff respond in 2023. There is a lot of work to do.

It is nice to win a conference championship in what was a disappointing season.
SFAXE93
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

The way Gipson, Self and Carthel got to this, was weird. Just weird. But some how. Some way we won it. And that's enough for me. Period. A conference championship is a conference championship.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TheRevSFA
It's such a mixed bag for me because, on the one hand, I am so glad and proud we won the WAC. A ring and a banner? Hell yes.

On the flip side, it's disappointing to think what could have been. Had we held on against Sam for 60 minutes, not played conservative, we could be in the playoffs. Had our team shown up against UCA, we'd be in the playoffs. Had we not lost to Utah Tech (a team who is MUCH better than they will ever get credit for) we would be in the playoffs.

I think it's okay as a fan to have expectations and to have disappointment and elation at the same time, and that's where I am.

On to next year though.
SFASawmillGuy
Always hate to say "next year" so often but with Carthel I have hope. Self was a much better than he will ever get credit for QB but Maurer looks like he will be insanely fun to watch.
The receiving corps is very young. Lots of returning talent who contributed very well.
The line is young and will continue to grow.
We have a freshman RB who was probably the best in the WAC in Wimbley.
We just need to sure up our defense and I think next season will be a very solid season to try and repeat as WAC champs and get back to the playoffs.
SFAXE93
G:10;ATT:106;YDS:604;AVG:5.7;TD:5/REC:12;YDS:168;TD:1
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.