WEEK 6: ABILENE CHRISTIAN

12,398 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pilotgirl
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And all they need is a fg. Not looking good.
No-look
nacluth said:

Self with the best punt of the night.
should went for it. Can't stop them
Ljacks&Longnecks
Defense has not done a good job of containing the QB scramble. 71 yards rushing for the ACU 'pocket"QB
nacluth
Time for the big sack!
TallTexan
Wow. Nice play call & execution.

Watch the fake.
TallTexan
If I'm SFA, I don't go after it. Setup the return. Too much of a risk for punt interference.
TallTexan
That looked like it was on the reciever.
nacluth
Pppttt!!!
TallTexan
Man, is our offense snakebit?
MasterAxe
Shotgun right to the foot.

The SFA way.
nacluth
Untimed down. Big fg attempt. Campos!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Credit to coach that had Gipson back there.
TallTexan
Horse collar saved that from being a TD it looked like. Last guy to beat was blocked.
SFAXE93
Sweet victory!

Campos 2022 1st Team All-American
AxeEm99
CHRIS CAMPOS FOR THE WIN!!!!
nacluth
Killed it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Unbelievable ending. Unbelievably great!
SFAXE93
I think SFA is ACU's SHSU
nacluth
KirkHeath12 said:

SFA 3.5 point favorites. How we feeling about that? Axe 'Em
1-4 ATS.
TallTexan
Wow, what a finish. This team has some holes, but it never quits.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well...Something finally went our way. I wouldn't trade Campos for any kicker anywhere.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Chris Campos be like

PurpleOut
Staff
Crazy finish.

Looking forward to heading to Nac next weekend, we'll need a much better performance against Tarleton, their QB is pretty legit.
SFAXE93
Yes, he is currently lighting up Southern Utah for over 400 yards
djsfw57
That was satisfying. Exciting, irritating at times, scary at others, but still very satisfying. #AxeEm
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Crazy finish.

Looking forward to heading to Nac next weekend, we'll need a much better performance against Tarleton, their QB is pretty legit.
I'll be there for that one, too. You're right about Tarleton. Another barnburner? My heart couldn't take another one.
SFAJack_76
Craziest finish to any game I have seen in person. Campos is one of the best in the country. Props to our much maligned, by some, coaches for having Gipson back there.

Our defense, after playing really good against Sam, went back to being porous. After the first quarter, I had no confidence in them getting a stop. Gave up 527 yards total offense, and 12-19 third down attempts. No pressure on the QB. Only two sacks. Dobbins runs for 166 yards on 31 carries. Receivers running wide open.

Self was good except for a couple of throws. The INT was a little behind the receiver. And, he overthrew the wide open receiver on the sideline late. I thought the o-line had a decent game. Wimbley 12 carries for 92 yards. Self sacked only one time.

Special teams, other than kick coverage, had a good game. Quick with 2 of his three punts going over 50 yards. Two blocked punts. After his first one, Brown was solid on kick offs. And, Campos.

Concerned about injuries. Defense had a number of guys go down. The biggest though is perhaps Porterfield. Looked like a knee. We will be hurt in the o-line if it's serious.

Attendance 7,224. Disappointing.
SFAJack_76
"Just kick the ball."
PurpleOut
Staff
I was disappointed in the crowd too. It seemed sparse early on, but then everyone left a few hours later.

Students will always leave early so they can go party (still lame), but where did everyone else go? It wasn't like it was a delayed game that went to midnight.

Fall games under the lights are amazing. Sad turnout.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

"Just kick the ball."

Campos is a man of few words. Also, the media asked some very intelligent questions. That's unusual for Nac area media types. Whoever they were actually know the game of football. Also, I found it interesting that Carthel is still bemoaning the missed kick vs. Prison Tech last year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
After sleeping on it, here are my thoughts on a couple of things from last night...

SFA's ESPN crew did a very bad job. Technical problems and poor camera work. It was embarrassing at times. (I think we've seen that same movie in previous years.)

SFA's O-Line can't run block. They protected Self adequately on passes (although he didn't have a lot of time to find his receivers a few times), but our RB's hit a wall on almost every run between the ends.

Self didn't have a great game, but he didn't have a particularly bad one either.

Jerrell Wimbley is our best RB. He should be a first teamer and not Reed - stronger and tougher. Wimbley is going to set some SFA records before he's done.

ACU clamped down on Gipson for the most part, but his game-changing return of that final ACU FG attempt was as big as Campos' kick. Carthel mentioned that ACU didn't notice Gipson going back to receive the short FG until it was almost too late.

SFA's defense had a very bad game, giving up over 500 yards and 90 plays. 90 plays! This was after playing a very good one vs. Prison Tech a week ago. They will be tested by Tarleton's Rent-a-QB next Saturday. And how many successful 3rd down plays did ACU have? Had to be at least 15 or so.

Hats off to the special teams for blocking two punts. That hardly ever happens in one game.

SFA will have to find a way to control the ball and retain possession more. Run more plays to the outside rather than up the gut of the defense. That's two weeks of trying that with pitiful results.

Play-calling is still bad. The OC needs to be replaced as the play caller, but it looks like it's not going to happen.

Oh, and Campos is a pretty good kicker... What a difference having an All-American kicker can make.

SFAXE93
RB:#25 JERRELL WIMBLEY 5-11; 195 (FR.)
G:6;ATT:47;YDS:310;AVG:6.6;TD:3/REC:7;YDS:111;TD:1

WR:#2 XAVIER GIPSON 5-9; 180 (SR.)
G:6;REC:29;YDS:438;TD:3
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFASawmillGuy said:

Very winnable game. If it cheers fans up, we have 6 games left. If we win all 6, we will be 8-3 and conference champions, possibly enough for the postseason even without the auto bid.

In my opinion, and I hope I'm dead wrong, I'd have to say that the chances of SFA going undefeated the rest of the way are less than 50%. The Jacks just have too many deficiencies.

OK, toss those rotten tomatoes my way.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

After sleeping on it, here are my thoughts on a couple of things from last night...

SFA's ESPN crew did a very bad job. Technical problems and poor camera work. It was embarrassing at times. (I think we've seen that same movie in previous years.)

SFA's O-Line can't run block. They protected Self adequately on passes (although he didn't have a lot of time to find his receivers a few times), but our RB's hit a wall on almost every run between the ends.

Self didn't have a great game, but he didn't have a particularly bad one either.

Jerrell Wimbley is our best RB. He should be a first teamer and not Reed - stronger and tougher. Wimbley is going to set some SFA records before he's done.

ACU clamped down on Gipson for the most part, but his game-changing return of that final ACU FG attempt was as big as Campos' kick. Carthel mentioned that ACU didn't notice Gipson going back to receive the short FG until it was almost too late.

SFA's defense had a very bad game, giving up over 500 yards and 90 plays. 90 plays! This was after playing a very good one vs. Prison Tech a week ago. They will be tested by Tarleton's Rent-a-QB next Saturday. And how many successful 3rd down plays did ACU have? Had to be at least 15 or so.

Hats off to the special teams for blocking two punts. That hardly ever happens in one game.

SFA will have to find a way to control the ball and retain possession more. Run more plays to the outside rather than up the gut of the defense. That's two weeks of trying that with pitiful results.

Play-calling is still bad. The OC needs to be replaced as the play caller, but it looks like it's not going to happen.

Oh, and Campos is a pretty good kicker... What a difference having an All-American kicker can make.

This about covers it. So much goodness, so much… errrr not championship level play or play calling. We don't have a go to other than Gipson. So many eyes on him. We have to get 1 or 2 more options. Rikel has some separation at times. Beyond that, very limited.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.