WEEK 6: ABILENE CHRISTIAN

12,075 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pilotgirl
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

#22 SFA (2-3; 0-1) VS. (RV) ABILENE CHRISTIAN (4-1; 1-0)

WHEN: OCT. 8, 2022 (SAT.) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS (HOMER BRYCE STADIUM)
TV: ESPN+
RADIO: Q107.7 FM.
FAITH AND FAMILY DAY (PINK OUT)

The Wildcats of ACU come to town off of a 26-10 road win in St. George, Utah against Utah Tech.

This young ACU team leads a pretty balanced offensive attack that averages 165 yards rushing 235 yards passing, while scoring 25 points a game.

Either sophomore Maverick, McIvor 6-2; 210 or junior QB Ethan Long 6-2; 210 could start against the Lumberjacks, both have combined for 98 passes for 1,173 yards 7 TD's and 4 INTs. McIvor has struggled of late, so don't be surprised to see both gets snaps in the game.

Also in the combo we have sophomore RB Jermiah Dobbins 5-11; 195 and true freshman Rovaughn Banks Jr. 5-10; 200 combining for 683 yards on 143 carries averaging about 5 yards a carry for 5 TDs.

Sophomore WR Tristian Golightly 6-4; 205 provides for a big target averaging 17 yards a catch.

ACU brings an aggressive defense that gives up only 105 yards rushing and 203 yards passing while surrendering only 15 points a game.

Sophomores DE Tyrin Bradley 6-4; 255 with 25 tackles, 5 for a loss, 1 sack, and 5 QBH and DT William Morgan 6-3; 305 with 9.0 TFL's lead the way for the interior line, while starting Linebackers true freshman Reese Young and senior Tory Hargrove that have combined for 10.5 TFLs and 5.0 sacks keep offenses honest on the outside.

Now this is the time for a home game, autumn is in the air, leaves are changing colors, and a SFA Lumberjack football team gets the chance to continue an 11-game home win streak that dates back to Nov. of 2019, in front of a good crowd.

Improvements can be seen on a SFA defense that seems to be finding its rhythm looking to use its experience to take it to a very young ACU team, that in my opinion gets its first true test of the 2022 season in Nacogdoches.

Axe'Em
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

SFA (2-3; 0-1) VS. (RV) ABILENE CHRISTIAN (4-1; 1-0)

WHEN: OCT. 8, 2022 (SAT.) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS (HOMER BRYCE STADIUM)
TV: ESPN+
RADIO: Q107.7 FM.
FAITH AND FAMILY DAY (PINK OUT)

The Wildcats of ACU come to town off of a 26-10 road win in St. George, Utah against Utah Tech.

This young ACU team leads a pretty balanced offensive attack that averages 165 yards rushing 235 yards passing, while scoring 25 points a game.

Either sophomore Maverick, McIvor 6-2; 210 or junior QB Ethan Long 6-2; 210 could start against the Lumberjacks, both have combined for 98 passes for 1,173 yards 7 TDs and 4 INTs. McIvor has struggled of late, so don't be surprised to see both gets snaps in the game.

Also in the combo we have sophomore RB Jermiah Dobbins 5-11; 195 and true freshman Rovaughn Banks Jr. 5-10; 200 combining for 683 yards on 143 carries averaging about 5 yards a carry for 5 TDs.

sophomore WR Tristian Golightly 6-4; 205 provides for a big target while averaging 17 yards a catch.

An aggresive Wildcat defense that gives up just 15 points a game, 105 yards rushing and 203 yards passing, is lead by sophomore DE Tyrin Bradley 6-4; 255 who can really get after it in the back field with 25 tackles, 5 for a loss, 1 sack, and 5 QBH along with DT William Morgan 6-3; 305 who leads the team for TFL's with 9.0.

Starting Linebackers true freshman Reese Young and senior Tory Hargrove have combined for 10.5 TFLs and 5.0 sacks.

Now this is the time for a home game, autumn is in the air, leaves are changing colors, and a SFA Lumberjack football team gets the chance to continue an 11-game home win streak that dates back to Nov. of 2019, in front of a good crowd.

Improvements can be seen on a SFA defense that seems to be finding its rhythm looking to use its experience to take it to a very young ACU team, that in my opinion gets its first true test of the 2022 season in Nacogdoches.

Axe'Em

Nice write up, 93. You should be doing the game previews for the Athletics website, since whoever is doing it apparently knows nothing about how it's supposed to be done.
SFA Jack Fanatic
ACU 28, Lamar 14
ACU 21, Prairie View 13
Missouri 34, ACU 17
ACU 34, Western New Mexico 7
ACU 26, Utah Tech 10

A very weak schedule.
SFASawmillGuy
Very winnable game. If it cheers fans up, we have 6 games left. If we win all 6, we will be 8-3 and conference champions, possibly enough for the postseason even without the auto bid.
Jacksfan93
If I'm understanding it correctly, this game is actually a "non-conference" game since ACU filled in a blank spot on the schedule with a 2nd game against SFA when IW backed out so we could in fact go 7-4 and still win the WAC …again if I'm understanding the schedule correctly.
SFAXE93
SFA still getting some grace from the Coaches Poll while playing 3 FBS teams, coming in at #22 also ACU is getting votes making them the #29 team in the nation.

If SFA wins they are back in the Top 20, and if ACU wins they crack the Top 25.
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

SFA still getting some grace from the Coaches Poll while playing 3 FBS teams, coming in at #22 also ACU is getting votes making them the #29 team in the nation.

If SFA wins they are back in the Top 20, and if ACU wins they crack the Top 25.

Our defense, looked so much better against Sam. If they play like they did against Sam, we have a shot.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Jacks have been better at home. Maybe that makes the difference.
SFAXE93
SFA LEADS THE SERIES 6-3-0 SINCE 2014.

4-1-0 NAC
1-2-0 ABILENE
1-0-0 NEUTRAL

LUMBERJACKS HAVE WON 6 OF THE LAST 7.

2022 - SFA:41 ACU:38 (NAC)
2021 - SFA:41 ACU:27 (NAC)
2020 - SFA:35 ACU:32 (ARLINGTON)
2019 - ACU:31 SFA:24 (2 OT) (ABILENE)
2018 - SFA:24 ACU:21 (NAC)
2017 - SFA:20 ACU:10 (ABILENE)
2016 - SFA:41 ACU:30 (NAC)
2015 - ACU:35 SFA:32 (ABILENE)
2014 - ACU:37 SFA:35 (NAC)
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
Much improved "preview."
SFAXE93
I agree, and I think he heard you
ACUCattitude
Hi Jacks,

The first of 2 games this year. Ought to be a lot of fun.

No doubt the Wildcats are better at every position this year. But how good we really are remains to be seen.

I'm very surprised at how the Lumberjacks have played...I expected a lot better. Of course, having said that I won't be surprised if Trae lights us up this week.

Have a good week and we'll see you in Nac on Saturday.
BigJack85
ACUCattitude said:

Hi Jacks,

No doubt the Wildcats are better at every position this year. But how good we really are remains to be seen.

I'm very surprised at how the Lumberjacks have played...I expected a lot better. Of course, having said that I won't be surprised if Trae lights us up this week.

Rivalry seems to be building. I would t be surprised to see an occasional neutral site game in Dallas, down the road.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

ACUCattitude said:

Hi Jacks,

Rivalry seems to be building. I would t be surprised to see an occasional neutral site game in Dallas, down the road.
I like the SFA/ACU matchups bc we can talk a little trash in football season. And in basketball. And baseball. And the ACU fans will be here and elsewhere to talk back for every sport, not just one.

I'm not a fan of every year neutral site games bc college football is best on campus, but I don't mind something less frequent, like once every 5 or 10 years. Wouldn't mind if we did something similar with ACU at American Airlines for basketball every few years either.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

ACUCattitude said:

Hi Jacks,

I like the SFA/ACU matchups bc we can talk a little trash in football season. And in basketball. And baseball. And the ACU fans will be here and elsewhere to talk back for every sport, not just one.

I'm not a fan of every year neutral site games bc college football is best on campus, but I don't mind something less frequent, like once every 5 or 10 years. Wouldn't mind if we did something similar with ACU at American Airlines for basketball every few years either.

Agree. Note my adverb "occasionally".
ACUCattitude
Don't expect me to compliment the Lumberjacks on a regular basis but the Wildcats are building competitive programs in every sport and I think that SFA is a great role model and rival. One thing is certain, both MBB and WBB are going to have epic games all the way through the tournament this year.

I would love for ACU/SFA to play in Frisco every few years.

Okay, enough of that. You suck. That's better.

BigJack85
ACUCattitude said:

Don't expect me to compliment the Lumberjacks on a regular basis but the Wildcats are building competitive programs in every sport and I think that SFA is a great role model and rival. One thing is certain, both MBB and WBB are going to have epic games all the way through the tournament this year.

A good rivalry needs to be a little nasty. Reference BOTPW tweets……
djsfw57
ACUCattitude said:

Your conclusion was epic. Best laugh of the day! Thanks.
SFAXE93
MasterAxe
Now the real season begins. 6 FCS games left.

It's clear the polls (certainly the coaches) have noticed our non-conference schedule, as we are still ranked. It shows they believe we are a better team than our record.

Certainly a high goal, but a win out is an 8-3 record with a 7-0 record vs FCS schools.

I'd have to imagine the committee would think very highly of us compared to the A-Sun champ.

It appears Austin Peay maybe the leader there of the eligible schools.

They do play Jacksonville State, so we do have a common opponent. It would benefit us if the Cocks laid it on them (LOL).

According to the formula, losses to FBS do not count against a school in the WAC/A-Sun Power Rankings, which is part of the determining factor. Neither does non FCS or FBS wins.

So...we're 1-0 baby!
Outsider
I expect Carthel to have SFA focused and ready for Saturday, with an emphasis on motivated. This should be a good matchup and we are looking to see how we do against our toughest FCS opponent yet. As already stated, ACU is better at most positions. We also seem to be in better shape with the ability to play hard all the way through, something we didn't always do in the past. I just wish we came out fighting as hard as we do in the 4th... Our defense has been the biggest progression from recent past teams. I don't think this will be a high scoring affair on either side.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
PurpleOut
Staff
I'm not big on FCS neutral sites either, just not enough fans for smaller schools that are either in the city, or willing to travel from the home location.

BUT, we've talked about it before, I think Toyota Stadium in Frisco would be a great option every 3rd year. Should give us a little fire to play in the stadium where the National Championship is held.

Didn't really care for playing at Globe Life Park. It's not a football stadium. And for the same reason I didn't like playing at NRG, playing in a giant stadium less than half full just isn't a fun environment. You'd at least have a chance of a cool crowd in Frisco.

Better yet, see if we can get in the Ford Center and play indoors. Great facility. Lots of bars and restaurants around, would be a fun atmosphere.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I'm not big on FCS neutral sites either, just not enough fans for smaller schools that are either in the city, or willing to travel from the home location.

BUT, we've talked about it before, I think Toyota Stadium in Frisco would be a great option every 3rd year. Should give us a little fire to play in the stadium where the National Championship is held.

Didn't really care for playing at Globe Life Park. It's not a football stadium. And for the same reason I didn't like playing at NRG, playing in a giant stadium less than half full just isn't a fun environment. You'd at least have a chance of a cool crowd in Frisco.

Better yet, see if we can get in the Ford Center and play indoors. Great facility. Lots of bars and restaurants around, would be a fun atmosphere.
The Star would be pretty cool.

I like the idea of letting our guys run out on an NFL field every now & again, & I feel like the Star would suffice for cool.

But I'd try to keep it to once a recruiting class. Football is just better on campus.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Bigfoot
It is time for the Lumberjacks to get "jacked up" and lower the axe on the Wildcats. Although I was way off last week I am calling this one SFA 38-17 as the Jacks bring ACU down to earth. Anyone agree?
purpleballs
Sorry for the dumb question, but where exactly is the alumni corner located? Came to Nac a few years ago for a basketball game but it's been a LONG time since I've made it to a football game. Surprisingly Mrs. Balls suggested we go see a game this year so after lil balls baseball game this morning we are leaving DFW around noon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.