WEEK 2: LOUISIANA TECH

15,162 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Extremely disappointed right now. Like everyone else.

We are not who we thought we were. It's still a young season so things can change. But this OL is bad. This DL is bad. Our LBs take terrible angles. Our DBs are decent when they're not getting called for PI. Our QB is below average and luckily has had a NFL WR to throw to for his career.

The bad part is I don't see any fire. No swag (except the 11 seconds Maurer was in), no intensity. Beyond average play calling. Average defensive system with bad tacklers.

Like I said two weeks ago, I'm just disappointed with the hope we all had. We don't look like anything close to what we expected. Oh well…here's to Nac trips for some tailgates.
MasterAxe
Pilotgirl said:

Mauer needs to be QB rest of game.

Also, allowing 5 TDs in one half is completely unacceptable. No excuses. I've seen no growth since the first game. And regression at the QB position. I'm glad I have a suite at BOTPW so I can catch up with my friends and enjoy the day LOL

And drink. Heavily.
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

Also, allowing 5 TDs in one half is completely unacceptable. No excuses. I've seen no growth since the first game. And regression at the QB position. I'm glad I have a suite at BOTPW so I can catch up with my friends and enjoy the day LOL

You nailed it. This is regression. Plain and simple. This doesn't look like a .500 team. I don't think we win 4 or 5 games.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
MasterAxe said:

Pilotgirl said:

And drink. Heavily.

Well, that was a given...
PurpleOut
Staff
377 yards of offense for LaTech, 254 yards rushing.

We have 81 yards. Total.
AxeEm99
I have heard "rebuilding year" at least 17 times in the last 25 years!! This year must be another one of those!! Dont worry, "NEXT YEAR" is our year!! , "I promise!"

BigJack85
AxeEm99 said:

I have heard "rebuilding year" at least 17 times in the last 25 years!! This year must be a other one of those!! Dont worry, "NEXT YEAR" is our year!! , "I promise!"

I've been through 7 (by my count) rebuilding campaigns since 1980. 2009 & 2010 was a nice little Oasis of Lumberjack football success that I can always remember. I'll attach my hopes for future Lumberjack football success, to the hopes of Jeremy Moses sending some "wide open slant" vibe to Homer Bryce.
Pilotgirl
Self is back out there? I give up...
AxeEm99
JC Harper should not have been fired! Our (former) AD just could not get over himself and thought (again) that the next guy would bring us to the Promise Land! Well it did not happen then (or any other time) and apparently now we are back in the same boat. The only difference is, now we have A LOT more hype!! (Hype does not win football games!!)
MasterAxe
That was cool.
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl said:

Self is back out there? I give up...

He literally HANDED it to LA Tech. ***.
SFAXE93
Did Self just hand the ball off to a defensive line man?

It was as if Powers knew that play was coming the way they were lined up.
Pilotgirl
Yes, yes he did.
MasterAxe
SFAXE93 said:

Did Self just hand the ball off to a defensive line man?

It was as if Powers knew that play was coming the way they were lined up.

When our playbook is one side of an index card, not hard to figure out
Ljacks&Longnecks
99, your crapping on about the past sure gets old. Got anything new? J C Harper was a joke that lucked out into getting Jeremy Moses because Moses had an injury in his last HS season.
Carthel has at least made SFA football relevant again so much so that we are expecting wins.Not happening this year thus far but would take Carthel over your joke any day.

Harper owes any and all of his success to Moses and Shannon Dawson.
MasterAxe
#canceltheseason
BigJack85
Trash……..
MasterAxe
Are we sure there is not a lightning storm within 1,000 miles we can stop the game for?
PurpleOut
Staff
Y'all have a good night.
SFASawmillGuy
JC Harper had an eye for talent, but was way too hands off and from what I've heard from very reliable sources didn't care about character at all. He was not a good fit.
AxeEm99
Who else got us two back to back Championship rings??? Hess, Graves, and Santiago only got one. Nobody else did!! And ALL of them got fired because the "next coach" was going to get us there! So please advise how bad Harper was????!!!
BigJack85
AxeEm99 said:

Who else got us two back to back Championship rings??? Hess, Graves, and Santiago only got one. No ody else did!! And ALL of them got fired because the "next coach" was going to get us there! So please advise how bad Harper was????!!!

Harper was bad. Like previous posters have said. JC got lucky with Moses. Beyond that he was a piece of dog poo. Without a solid offensive guru he was zero.

Carthel is the right guy. I have zero doubt. This edition , Is in need of real depth chart, exercise. What has struck me , is that BOTH sides of the line are crap. Both.
SFAXE93
Is it the coaching?

New DC, DT coaches
New OL coach
sfajack05
Not sure what the hell has happened to the team but the no fight and just going through the motions is hard to watch. I can handle a close loss but whatever these first three games are is not it.
MasterAxe
At least are not West Virginia.

Or Nebraska.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Back to tonight's disaster....I do disagree with the decision to keep playing Self tonight. I would have let Maurer have the whole 2nd half to get in game time and be better prepared to step in when next needed.
Ljacks&Longnecks
New coaches bring different ideas and schemes......but into the 3rd game of the season the defense is still severely lacking, the O line has not produced. Some wires are crossed or disconnected up to this point and it's already getting late to get everything ironed out.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Nice pass from Weeks to Rikel for a long TD
djsfw57
This is worse than embarrassing. This team looks pathetic. Coach isn't doing anything right as far as I can tell. I know that will be unpopular, but with the talent we have, there is zero excuse for the kind of play we have seen so far this season. When is basketball? I need a team I can be excited about, and this football team is not giving me any reason to be excited at all.
SFA, Class of 1979
RedRiverLa
3 away games, 2 FBS opponents, coming home 1-2. Disappointed we didn't have a better showing in all three games, yep, but not to the level some of these posts on the site. Geez louise. Cancel the season? Tech is way better than y'all think, however they will have their a&& handed to them at Clemson next week, so this game was big for them and we didn't match. But no way I'm giving up on the season before we even have a home game. And it will be the same type posts for basketball when we don't beat an Naia or D3 team by 30 the first two weeks. See you on the 24th!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well...off week next week, then that Warner team comes to Nac. So coaches and team have 2 weeks to try and figure things out, hopefully make some positive adjustments before Sam then conference. Certainly need to see vast improvement on both sides of the ball just to be competitive the rest of the way.
AxeEm99
Well said djsfw57! My posts are not popular on this site either, but its been the same song and dance in Football for the last 25 years. I am sick of it, and have expressed it A LOT on this site. Being a Lumberjack from Huntsville and seeing Sam's football success up close, its not easy to accept the same performance in football EVERY YEAR!!
lmbalum08
Did you really just say that? I'm OK with opinions, but if you can't see the difference between this team and the JC Harper disaster I don't know what to tell you. We can sit here and say how embarrassed we are, at the end of the day we just aren't ready for this level.

Also, I stand by my statements about Trae Self. He doesn't make us better, he's just a guy who's been the same person for 3 years.
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

3 away games, 2 FBS opponents, coming home 1-2. Disappointed we didn't have a better showing in all three games, yep, but not to the level some of these posts on the site. Geez louise. Cancel the season? Tech is way better than y'all think, however they will have their a&& handed to them at Clemson next week, so this game was big for them and we didn't match. But no way I'm giving up on the season before we even have a home game. And it will be the same type posts for basketball when we don't beat an Naia or D3 team by 30 the first two weeks. See you on the 24th!
Agreed. Life is too short to call it a season 3 weeks in. Less than ideal start, but it happens.

Something isn't clicking right now, but our coaches didn't forget how to coach. We've got two weeks to get some swagger back and to work on that run defense.
AxeEm99
JC Harper was such a disaster!! He only got us TWO Championship rings!! WHAT A TOTAL DISASTER HE WAS!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.