WEEK 2: LOUISIANA TECH

14,516 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

#18/#12 SFA (1-1; 0-0) VS. LOUISIANA TECH (0-1; 0-0)

WHEN: SEPT. 10, 2022 (SAT.) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: RUSTON, LOUISIANA (JOE AILLET STADIUM)
TV: ESPN3
MILITARY APPRECIATION DAY

Are the bugs getting worked out for the Lumberjacks, as they make their way to Ruston, Louisiana, to conclude their 3-game road trip to start the 2022 season with the Bulldogs of Louisiana Tech.

One thing is for certain, the SFA defense is about to meet their maker, literally, in former SFA DC Scott Powers, now at Louisiana Tech.

This really sets up for an interesting situation in respect to scouting reports, inside information on your opponent, and knowing your play-book, with Louisiana Tech having not one, but five former position coaches from SFA in Jake Brown (under Conque), Scott Powers (DC), Marcus Walker (DBs), Nathan Young (OL), and Myles Carelock (Defensive Analyst).

These are the coaches that recruited, planned, and coached a majority of the current players on the SFA roster, and they know these players, their skill sets, and their habits.

Now there is a flip-side to that coin, in that SFA head Coach Colby Carthel knows these coaches, how they coach, their habits, and their tendencies.

Lumberjack QB Trae Self will know the starting DB's for the Bulldogs, in former Lumberjacks Myles Brooks and Willie Roberts, and vice versa, again a very interesting match-up.

For certain, Louisiana Tech Head Coach Sonny Cumbie was impressed enough with the 2021 SFA defense, and the hopes to replicate that aggressive nature for his team. (something the 2022 SFA defense needs to get back.)

The Bulldogs are rebuilding their program, not having much success since their 2019 season where they went 10-3, including a 14-0 victory over Miami (FL.) in the Independence Bowl.

The Cumbie Era began last Thursday with a 24-52 loss at SEC opponent Missouri.

The defense gave up a total of 558 yards (328 yards rushing (6.4 yards per carry) 6 rushing TDs) and 230 passing yards.

QB's Matthew Downing and Parker McNeil combined for 336 yards and 3 TDs and 3 INTs.

On the ground, the Bulldogs couldn't get anything going, only amassing 8 total yards on 22 attempts for the game.

At receiver, true freshman Cyrus Allen 5-11; 177 caught a game high 5 passes for 121 yards and 2 TDs. Senior TE Griffin Hebert 6-3; 225 caught 3 passes for 93 yards and a score.

On defense Junior DB Beejay Williamson 6-1; 193 recorded 11 tackles, 1 for a loss, and had a FF.

Also, look for empact players Junior Hugh Davis 6-0; 225 at Linebacker and junior defensive lineman Deshon Hall Jr. 6-5; 250

Expect a good size crowd at Joe Aillet Stadium with well over 15,000 fans in attendance as well as some good football weather, with an expected high of 83 degrees. (Yes, rain is also expected at 60%)

What is evident, is that this is not the Lumberjack defense of 2021 and SFA is on the learning curve of a new DC that comes with new ways of doing things, different philosophies, and different personnel.

Also, with the loss of three starting DT's, one to the NFL, and two to the FBS during the off season, SFA has to be patient as it re-tools the enterior of its defensive line with red-shirt freshmen, in a defense that is giving up 287.5 yards a game (after two games) on the ground.

And with all of that comes patience, as many expected the 2022 team to take off from where the 2021 landed, but for reasons previous mentioned, chemistry was disrupted and it needs to be restored.

What we have learned from the Alcorn State game, is that a new chemistry is taking form, with a team taking a bad situation and quickly turning it around, showing life, in a glowing new found resilience emerging.

Axe'Em

nacluth
Great job 93!
65tosspowertrap
I posted this in the Alcorn State board, so please forgive the re-post:

Totally open to being corrected, but the Jacks have to be concerned about their defense against the run. After getting clobbered by Jacksonville State's running game, they gave up 285 yards on the ground to Alcorn State. If I were scouting for an upcoming opponent, I would recommend running it down SFA's throat.

Again, I may be totally misreading the situation, but I'm concerned...I expect the coaching staff to address it, but they better do so sooner than later.

God Bless Len Dawson,
65 Toss Power Trap

"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" โ€” Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
BigJack85
65tosspowertrap said:

I posted this in the Alcorn State board, so please forgive the re-post:

Totally open to being corrected, but the Jacks have to be concerned about their defense against the run. After getting clobbered by Jacksonville State's running game, they gave up 285 yards on the ground to Alcorn State. If I were scouting for an upcoming opponent, I would recommend running it down SFA's throat.

Again, I may be totally misreading the situation, but I'm concerned...I expect the coaching staff to address it, but they better do so sooner than later.

God Bless Len Dawson,
65 Toss Power Trap

I feel the same way. Our D Line looks worse than vulnerable. Awful.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93

TICKETS ON SELL

Limited number of tickets in the SFA Section, Section K, selling online. Once purchased, you may redeem your ticket on game day at the Visitor Will Call office located between Gate 6 & 7.

https://sfajacks.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=FCSKICK&linkID=sfasu&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Carthel's joke of the night: The other SFA coaches use Coach Com to communicate during games. I wear a Walkman so I can listen to Rob Meyers.
BigJack85
Carthel is great. I think he understates the issues on the D-Line. LaTech is going to gut us like a Catfish. Can't give up 300 yards on the ground.
SFASawmillGuy
I think LA Tech has the worst rushing attack of the teams we've played so far, so that'll be good for us. Our defense just needs to find that fire it had last year. If our defense can make some stops our offense won't have to keep playing from behind and can probably get a little more creative.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

I think LA Tech has the worst rushing attack of the teams we've played so far, so that'll be good for us. Our defense just needs to find that fire it had last year. If our defense can make some stops our offense won't have to keep playing from behind and can probably get a little more creative.

Seen the stats on LaTech and we should be able to slow them down. Lord, if we can't. They are ONE of the worst offenses we have seen. Missouri ain't no slouch though.
SFASawmillGuy
They're gonna score and it's gonna be a close game if we pull it out. That scholarship differential for the FBS and FCS is no joke. But talent wise we beat them at every position. Just have to put it together on the field.
TheRevSFA
We've only played three total quarters of inspired football. We need to play four quarters of inspired football Saturday.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

I'm pleasantly surprised. I guess the voters are also indirectly recognizing just how good Jacksonville State is.
SFAXE93
Ljacks&Longnecks
Hope the coaching staff will remind players that rankings mean nothing until they are earned on the field.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Could we see Kylon Harris today?

SFA Jack Fanatic
Harris hasn't seen the field so far? He's a dynamic guy.
SFAXE93
Well, he had that bad off season leg injury and I didn't think we would see him this season.
SFAXE93
On the board!

7-7
SFAXE93
D-line gutted again for an explosive from LA Tech
SFAXE93
Why would you not run it all day until the other team could prove they could stop the run.

14-7 LA Tech
MasterAxe
Our defensive theory on tackling is interesting.

Sonnie Cumbie should be fired immediately if he calls another pass play against us.
purpleballs
This is hard to watch.
AxeEm99
What is Trae Self doing? It he going to ever start making decent passes????
Pilotgirl
This is gonna be a looooong season.
Pilotgirl
AxeEm99 said:

What is Trae Self doing? It he going to ever start making decent passes????

Every throw is straight to the ground
RedRiverLa
Don't be fooled by average stats, Tech is the stronger team, more athletic team, as you would expect from that level. Unfortunately I have the feeling this will be their breakout game. As a SFA fan living in north LA, I'm all too familiar with tech as i have been rooting against them for 50 years. We've given them the confidence they were missing
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.